• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Style Online Ranking System

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I probably can't play for a while.

LD, Hipster, and Cobra have all challenged me in the past couple days and I couldn't play.

Give them all +1s? I dunno.

Studstill

Smash Ace
I probably can't play for a while.

LD, Hipster, and Cobra have all challenged me in the past couple days and I couldn't play.

Give them all +1s? I dunno.
No. The challenge regulations are still being finalized, but basically you will only lose one point at a time, and challenging people will not gain you a point if they don`t play, currently. Fret not.

JaimeHR

Smash Ace
I want to challenge "fácilguas" (Mariguas), Killer, or KnitePhox, plz plaeh. I'll challenge NovaSmash too if it is allowed since we already had a game on this Tier or whatever.

Can't login to the site still. confused face. Is it working or still being worked on?

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
I want to challenge "fácilguas" (Mariguas), Killer, or KnitePhox, plz plaeh. I'll challenge NovaSmash too if it is allowed since we already had a game on this Tier or whatever.

Can't login to the site still. confused face. Is it working or still being worked on?
Check your pm.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Done with finals, so I can play now! Who wants to? Don't be shy :)

JaimeHR

Smash Ace
Already checked pm, entered password and says username and password don't match. sad face

nvm, just figured out there's a typo on the password you sent me. I'll pm you about it. lol

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I've been thinking about this for a long time, it was hard for me to decide wether to go Samus or Captain Falcon, I'll Definitely rank higher if I use Falcon, but I decide I'm gonna use Samus!
I get home in like an hour and 20 minutes, any one in
C Rank with +1, 0, or -1 that wants to take me on? And when I record the game using project 64's built in button, can I send the file to some one? Thanks

Shears

Smash Master
I've been thinking about this for a long time, it was hard for me to decide wether to go Samus or Captain Falcon, I'll Definitely rank higher if I use Falcon, but I decide I'm gonna use Samus!
I get home in like an hour and 20 minutes, any one in
C Rank with +1, 0, or -1 that wants to take me on? And when I record the game using project 64's built in button, can I send the file to some one? Thanks

http://supershears-001-site1.mywindowshosting.com/

You can send challenges to people and report matches there. It is still in beta so excuse the url and ugly layout.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Last edited by a moderator:

Shears

Smash Master
Thanks, so when i do a match and record, where do i send the k file? and if i record multiple matches, how to i tell them apart?
I'm not the recording expert, I barely ever go on youtube, but if someone wants to volunteer to convert k files to youtube videos I can have users upload k files to the site and then people can either download the k file to watch themselves or download, convert to youtube, then upload for everyone. I'll add a krec upload feature and a download link for each match.

Studstill

Smash Ace
I'm not the recording expert, I barely ever go on youtube, but if someone wants to volunteer to convert k files to youtube videos I can have users upload k files to the site and then people can either download the k file to watch themselves or download, convert to youtube, then upload for everyone. I'll add a krec upload feature and a download link for each match.
Yeah, I`ll do it. I like having the raw copy anyway.

Sangoku

Smash Master
There should be a way to delete the link to the KREC once the match is uploaded, or at least have a mention that it has already been uploaded. That way we know what needs to be recorded/uploaded and what is already done.

Otherwise that's a good idea. More people will record their game: they'll just have to tick the record box and upload the KREC on the site and someone will record the replay and upload it for them.

Shears

Smash Master
There should be a way to delete the link to the KREC once the match is uploaded, or at least have a mention that it has already been uploaded. That way we know what needs to be recorded/uploaded and what is already done.

Otherwise that's a good idea. More people will record their game: they'll just have to tick the record box and upload the KREC on the site and someone will record the replay and upload it for them.
I'll have it leave the krec file available for download so if anyone wants a copy of it they can have it. When a video is uploaded a youtube logo appears next to the match to show it already has a video uploaded, so any match without the youtube logo next to it means it doesn't have a youtube video uploaded. Patience everyone, just leave it to me.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
wrong thread

i'm still holding my ban of tr3g and fully support eradicating them from the rankings on principle

Last edited:

lord narwhal

Smash Apprentice
can't challenge anyone via the webpage despite following the rules for challenging. sorry if this is something I've overlooked / has been posted about.

Shears

Smash Master
can't challenge anyone via the webpage despite following the rules for challenging. sorry if this is something I've overlooked / has been posted about.
Do you mind explaining? Have you registered a character for the rankings? After creating an account you need to register a character by clicking 'My Ranks' and and adding a character. This is designed to allow people to use multiple characters in the future.

lord narwhal

Smash Apprentice
Do you mind explaining? Have you registered a character for the rankings? After creating an account you need to register a character by clicking 'My Ranks' and and adding a character. This is designed to allow people to use multiple characters in the future.
Yes, I did that and verified that my name was on the list.

Also, I received a challenge and clicking the accept button does nothing.

EDIT: Challenges seem to be going through now. The issue was that the website was returning an error that I was ineligible to challenge someone, even though I met the qualifications. Dunno what fixed it.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Yes, I did that and verified that my name was on the list.

Also, I received a challenge and clicking the accept button does nothing.

EDIT: Challenges seem to be going through now. The issue was that the website was returning an error that I was ineligible to challenge someone, even though I met the qualifications. Dunno what fixed it.
You must have been trying to do this while I was updating the site.

I added a player lobby. You can log in and use this to chat with people and find matches. Its like the kaillera chat or skype chat. Its effectively a chat room that is intended to be used for smashing. Since this is a ****ty host the chat may be slow, be patient, your message will go through.

Studstill

Smash Ace
In anticipation of the upcoming beta Launch, Shears and I are making the new rules/rankings structure available. Please read them and either comment here or send an email to infinitesmash64@gmail.com to let us know what you think! Also, I`ll post the link to register here as well, even though you already have an account, there is some more information we would like to get from you ahead of time, to help us better guide the site to it`s upcoming Launch. Thanks for all who take the time to register, but these rules will be in effect soon, and while not changing things much, NOW IS THE TIME FOR YOUR INPUT!
The site password is "beta"
http://www.supersmashbros64.com/how-it-all-works/
http://www.supersmashbros64.com/register/

Studstill

Smash Ace
I read the rules but 1 think I got confused at, so I just started, if I win a match, I go to the D tier?
No. You must win three matches in a row, or win 4 matches with 1 loss in between, or win 5 with 2 etc.. to advance to D Tier and be "ranked"
But you cannot have negative points in Start, so you can lose forever and then win three in a row. Also, you can play the same person 3 times, provided you are both registered and in Start.
I made a mockup of what the rankings would look like restructured it`s on the left of
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jqIHsw7FlPaO_blsR2LPF0WxhwsZpJlw0TRxTJ_tauo/edit#gid=0

Shears

Smash Master
I read the rules but 1 think I got confused at, so I just started, if I win a match, I go to the D tier?
So the rules are effectively the same with only one real change. Instead of assuming someone is mediocre and putting them in C tier, we assume that someone isn't good and put them in "Start" tier (basically a friendlier F tier). The reason for this is if everyone starts out in C tier, there are plenty of people that can take advantage of the noobs, and if a noob starts out getting pummeled and being shot down to D tier right away they can get discouraged. This also devalues the rankings since someone unworthy of B tier could bump themselves up to B tier by taking advantage of these noobs. With a Start tier you limit this. Noobs play noobs, not someone who has been hovering in C tier for months taking forever to get out and bullies them. The inception of a Start tier also opens up for more play because we will lift the point restriction for ranked matches and make it just a tier restriction. Since C tier isn't polluted with people that aren't C tier, a -2 can play a +2, but without a Start tier you can't tell if a +2 is really a +2 and a -2 is really a -2. The idea is everyone starts at 0 and moves up instead of everyone starting at 10 and moving up/down. Rankings should be progressive not regressive. If a noob is good they'll have no problem moving up to A tier, but if a noob is bad, egotistical mediocre players won't be able to take advantage of them and move themselves up to A tier. In any hierarchy system you work your way up from the bottom not start out in the middle and lose your way down (halo, mortal kombat 1p mode, the military, chutes and ladders). Its a ladder, you climb up it, not down it.

If your interest is in forming accurate rankings for the community then you should have no problem accepting this or providing sound and reasonable counter arguments. If your interest is your own rank and pride and you want to take advantage of noobs and have this hollow sense of greatness, then you're a joke and get out of here. If your interest is being identical to the Japanese because you worship them like Gods and you want C tier start because they have C tier start and you unquestionably and unconsciously follow them like a sheep, then you don't have the intellectual capacity for your opinion to matter in this discussion.

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
No. You must win three matches in a row, or win 4 matches with 1 loss in between, or win 5 with 2 etc.. to advance to D Tier and be "ranked"
But you cannot have negative points in Start, so you can lose forever and then win three in a row. Also, you can play the same person 3 times, provided you are both registered and in Start.
I made a mockup of what the rankings would look like restructured it`s on the left of
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jqIHsw7FlPaO_blsR2LPF0WxhwsZpJlw0TRxTJ_tauo/edit#gid=0
It would be better for everyone to start at Rank 0, and then have the ranks go for infinity in both directions

Shears

Smash Master
Clicking to accept a match still seems to do nothing.
Do you have javascript enabled? What browser are you using? What is your OS?

Did you check the box to never show alerts from the site again? It seems anything that can go wrong will go wrong and I put too much faith in people being able to read and understand the use of notifications and pop-up alerts (this is not a jab at you, many people have messaged me saying they disable the alert pop-ups generated by the server). I guess I will have to write a custom alert script and window because the native one isn't doing the job.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
It would be better for everyone to start at Rank 0, and then have the ranks go for infinity in both directions
In that case why have negative infinity? Why not scale negative infinity to 0 and have everything go up to 2 infinity? Why assume someone starting is better than someone already in the rankings? A noob should be considered equal to or less than everyone else. If the plan is to expedite the process of getting Boom up to SS tier then the rankings are biased and their legitimacy is questioned. "It looks silly to have Boom starting in D tier", when the new halo comes out and all the halo pros go to play, they don't start out at the top, they win and earn their ranks and in no time (because they're pros) they get to the top from 0, so he won't be there for long.

lord narwhal

Smash Apprentice
Do you have javascript enabled? What browser are you using? What is your OS?

Did you check the box to never show alerts from the site again? It seems anything that can go wrong will go wrong and I put too much faith in people being able to read and understand the use of notifications and pop-up alerts (this is not a jab at you, many people have messaged me saying they disable the alert pop-ups generated by the server). I guess I will have to write a custom alert script and window because the native one isn't doing the job.
Yes to JS.
Windows 7 / Chrome
Didn't check the box.

It looks like I can decline matches though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom