• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Janon social thread : Lair of the Floating Back Slapping Missile Reflecting King of Evil

Kix

Smash Journeyman
No quake-fist or projectile out of the float-stance? Not that I don't think it's amazing if not.

Bazkip

Smash Master
Gentlemen.

Kinda will miss the "AH THERE'S A SPIDER" Spotdodge but, eh, can't win em all.
Oh cool, didn't even cross my mind that there might be a new roll animation along with the new spotdodge

Edit: Yo why not also posts these

I mean we know cause @ CORY CORY already told us, but hey, pictures.

Last edited:

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I'm so freaking excited now! Cant wait for this! Still looking forward to a better grab though... hope they changed the animation (and range) for that as well. Also I hope we got a new animation for Up-smash + down smash. Even if its exactly the same mechanically, making it more unique can't hurt (just like they did with the Bair animation) But i do hope for better hit boxes on those smashes as well...

Last edited:

Slaudial

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0233-0174-7067
That Ganondorf HHHNNNNGGGGG

PM dev team, I forgive you for putting Mewtwo and Sonic in the game.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I'm also wondering if N-B reflect would have a hit box on it? even a weak one would be nice just so when up close it can be used as a juggle or just a mix up.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
I've never been so excited to deal with campers. Tents will burn. Marshmallows will be scorched.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
I'll put together a post or thread discussing the nB, probably upon release. While many people here are pretty hyped up about it I'm aware that others would still appreciate more explanation on what motivated us to make it, how it functions, usage suggestions, and the deliberate design calls we made to get it to complement his kit without warping his playstyle.
So, uh, gameplay/playstyle implications aside, why have the hover on his neutral-B instead of just setting it up like Peach or Mewtwo's?

Was it impossible to make Ganon's float function the way it does (no float cancels, only replenishes on stage, etc.) and make it input the same way as the others?

I'm not complaining by any means, but it seems like an odd inconsistency that I was hoping to have cleared up.

Also, thank you for the hover, k thx bai.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718

Can we all just appreciate how Ganondorf looks so condescending and smug when he's hovering like that with his arms crossed? Like he knows he's better than you and he wants you to know it? xD I feel like I'm playing Ocarina of Time in Ganon's Castle all over again with that animation right there. :ganondorfmelee:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
That's why I put the Ganon battle theme in the OP. I may brood over the new Bair animation all I want, that float pose is just the best.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Yo Ganon's results were already stellar to begin with, and then this happened. What a pleasant surprise, I can be even more disrespectful with Ganondorf. Ganondorf confirmed taking all the gold.

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
wait

is his spotdodge FASTER now?

Ganon confirmed best character.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Hey, @ CORY CORY , does the reflecting backhand thing (we really need a name for it) have an actual hitbox on it?
when i played, it had one, but it wasn't very clean (they might have just gotten that put in? don't know...). just wait for shell's info now, though. since we have a very near release date and he's said he'll make a post to explain everything in full, up to date detail, no need for conjecture now.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else think that samus will be screwed in this matchup? I mean, in melee, samus had to be very careful and spam projectiles because of gannondorf's lack of projectiles, but now that he can reflect them, what does samus have against him? I can't wait to try this matchup!

GeZ

Smash Lord
No fair @ CORY CORY getting to hype everyone with all the cool **** :v

I'll kick in what I know too then.

Last I checked his backhand reflector did not have a hitbox, and I tested that about a month ago, but it could have changed since then. When I played last friday the timing seemed tighter than before, and it had the effect of changing the bounce of Marios fireball from it's smaller arcs to wider bounces on the way back. Also makes projectiles do more damage upon returning.

The float stuff was pretty spot on, though most people aren't thinking about the implications of it being a B move, so it's b-reversible, b-turnaroundable, and wavebouncable, which are all like mini heartattacks for your playing partner, because we're tricky warlocks now.

I personally found float to be great for intimidating and reading tech chases after Flame Choke.

Also our recovery is better because float is a stall as well as fully capable of getting needed distance after you warlock kick > double jump, and before you up B.

Like we're literally one of the only characters with buffed recoveries, and it's great.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
This is good.

Very good.

I just hope Zero doesn't come and main him and make a once low tier lovely everyones toy to get first place. Ganons ours bc we love crushing and stomping.

This is the time where false Ganons will be found. The evil king will smell them out

Also thanks @ GeZ GeZ thats some cool ish. I love me some technical stuff like that. It doesn't make his recovery broken, just adds that extra distance where we could make it back with enough mixups, rather then not making it back and get edgegaurded on our one and only approach.

Hmm, the staling applications reek of excitement! Imagine someone trying to edgehog you then you stall with up b and them WAJAM you Up+B them and stage spike them (considering they're poop). Ofcourse, probably very easy to use it up and then not have it for recovery.

Any other differences you can share regarding his other moves? Im really interesting in if Wiz Kick has a better hitbox and isn't his crotch (or knees or whatever)

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
doubt they changed the hitbox. that's against their stated basic policy of not putting hitboxes on moves that throw characters downwards rapidly at the front of the character. it makes things reeeeeally dumb to deal with, in the other direction.

and, yeah, once you guys play with the float, you start to realize the implications of it being a special move. like, holy crap, you don't lose your jump using it. holy crap, guys. get someone offstage on ps2, jump float, uair from the blastzone, double jump, upb. GET REKT.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Does anyone else think that samus will be screwed in this matchup? I mean, in melee, samus had to be very careful and spam projectiles because of gannondorf's lack of projectiles, but now that he can reflect them, what does samus have against him? I can't wait to try this matchup!
We already had a reflector, it was called power shielding.

#gitgud

Edit: In all seriousness, this matchup may be swayed in our favor now. I will have my revenge for 3.0, Samus!

Edit 2: Holy ****, b-reversed/wave bounce floats! How did I not think of that, that's huge! Get rekt everyone, 3.5 is mine!

Last edited:

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
No fair @ CORY CORY getting to hype everyone with all the cool **** :v

I'll kick in what I know too then.

Last I checked his backhand reflector did not have a hitbox, and I tested that about a month ago, but it could have changed since then. When I played last friday the timing seemed tighter than before, and it had the effect of changing the bounce of Marios fireball from it's smaller arcs to wider bounces on the way back. Also makes projectiles do more damage upon returning.

The float stuff was pretty spot on, though most people aren't thinking about the implications of it being a B move, so it's b-reversible, b-turnaroundable, and wavebouncable, which are all like mini heartattacks for your playing partner, because we're tricky warlocks now.

I personally found float to be great for intimidating and reading tech chases after Flame Choke.

Also our recovery is better because float is a stall as well as fully capable of getting needed distance after you warlock kick > double jump, and before you up B.

Like we're literally one of the only characters with buffed recoveries, and it's great.
Any changes to his grab range when you tested it?

How about more animation changes like they did for Bair to make it more unique and fitting of Ganondorf?

I'm so excited I can't even wait till tomorrow for Ganon info lol.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Even if you perfected power shielding, the new reflector allows you to reflect projectiles while you're in the air. This is no trivial matter.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Dem colours

Though five OoT colours means he has to lose one of the colours swaps he currently has, wonder which?
My guess would be brown.

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Even if you perfected power shielding, the new reflector allows you to reflect projectiles while you're in the air. This is no trivial matter.
Exactly, it'll help on the approach, but you still have your work cut out for you. I mean you can only reflect them from so close otherwise your gonna be punished.

Wonder if it works like Marios Cape? Or if it has a windbox.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Exactly, it'll help on the approach, but you still have your work cut out for you. I mean you can only reflect them from so close otherwise your gonna be punished.

Wonder if it works like Marios Cape? Or if it has a windbox.
Don't think it has a windbox, and if works like marios cape, you mean has a huge reflect window, the answer is no, the window of opportunity matches the animation perfectly, which means it's relatively small.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I meant that it could punish other characters and turn them around like the cape, in function. Like how Mario can mess with recoveries and reflect projectiles.

But in regards to that, that sounds good. Like a power-shield but quicker and easier. Can't wait to see how it all works.

Top Bottom