• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

JAB -> FTILT!! Combo or great set-up?

Alright, jab -> ftilt to the best of my knowledge has never been proven or disproven as a combo. In other words, no one has ever done any proficent testing involving frame data to 100% confirm or prove false this claim.

Back some time ago I did some testing against olimar and found some interesting stats that I think highly proved it to be a combo. In training mode, against olimar, I did two tests. One as a spaced jab, and one as a jab overlapping olimar.

1. The spaced jab props olimar into the air.
2. The jab the that overlaps with olimar (you are really close to him), managed to push olimar along the ground.

By going into 1/4 speed and with human controls on, I had olimar's shield held after being hit by a jab. Afterwards I followed up with a ftilt. I tested this with the overlapping jab and spaced jab.

The results I managed to get were thus:
-The spaced jab -> ftilt could be powershielded by olimar.
-The overlapping jab -> ftilt was not.
I tested this multiple times and got the same results. I never tried it on other characters. But, I felt this was a good indication that jab -> ftilt was indeed a true combo, but only if you get the hitbox of jab that slides people along the ground.

The age of hacking brawl has come to a time where we can move the game ahead one frame at a time. I think it is high time someone go forth and test jab -> ftilt combo out and proof once and for all if it is fact or myth.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I've been wondering about this myself. It seemed funny to me that at any given percent it seem like it could work and then other times it wouldnt. I may do some testing this week.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
This has def being tested before by Ken Neth, cept he tested jab combo rather than jab to ftilt, I believe the concept should be similar to that, let's see if we can dig up his research somehow.

RATED

Smash Lord
Jab can lead to Ftilt, I think that M2k posted something related a long time ago. I can't seem to find the post. It was LONG LONG time ago.

etecoon

Smash Hero
M2K posted a topic about jab > dair actually, which obviously isn't a true combo but can be an interesting mixup because it can break shields

I'm pretty sure jab > ftilt is character dependent and can also depend on whether they are airborne or grounded when you jab them

This still does not solve the problem of it being right or wrong. Quit speculating and start getting frame data results!

I would do it myself, but I have a legit excuse. No money to buy a wii, and no wii right now from home. The soonest I can do this is in another month once I actually get home.

Until then, I will keep trying to push the work on someone else lol

napZzz

Smash Hero
I dont think jab-ftilt is guaranteed

if it is, it needs to be with that hitbox on snakes fist that kind of pops them up a little

napZzz

Smash Hero
I'm never gonna quit brawl until I just get bored of it or until it dies, because I cant see anything really getting into my way of at least going to tournaments aside from a job I may get in the future

edit: to stay on topic someone should totally test jab-ftilt for realz

If this is a true combo then jab -> Uptilt is as well :B
up tilt is 2 frames slower so no it is not.
Jab in general is a really good move. Better poke than f tilt, faster, less lag, extra damage if led to f tilt, makes people want to shield so can lead to more grabs. Amazing at punishing spot dodger spammers and last hit can kill(i've gotten kills at 80 from tech chasing people to the edge and down throwing them off the stage to jab. Last hit is really punishable though

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Opponents can DI the jab and power shield it, over lapping or not. Gnes (the gay) does it to me a lot. They can also SDI it and end up behind you lol. I've seen it happen. The spaced one is risky since they can shield it easy. The over lapping one has a greater chance of landing the ftilt though...still they can DI it. All depends on the opponent.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Hitstun increases with damage, no? I thought it was a combo from mid percents onwards.

Also, of you pop them up on the air, I believe utilt/grab works cause airdodge takes too long to come out.

Jump in if I'm wrong.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Hitstun increases with damage, no? I thought it was a combo from mid percents onwards.
don't actually know but I think it does, like I'm pretty sure MK's dtilt is actually unsafe *on hit* at 0% vs some characters...someone test this with snake and see if we can do anything? would be pretty sweet if we could just ftilt him out of it, I remember this exact situation being discussed in 2008 during the first ban topics but I don't think it was ever concluded that you could or couldn't counter attack

Top Bottom