• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab Cancel (to D-tilt spike) Help

•Col•

Smash Champion
So yeah, how do you Jab cancel? I thought that all you had to do was crouch, but last night I read somewhere that you had to tap the shield button... So which is it? Unfortunately, I'm at college now, and I dont have a Wii to try it out... So can someone help? xD

EDIT: Thanks for the answers everyone, I still have trouble with the Jab cancel to d-tilt spike people... Any tips? =P

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Erm...I do believe the preferred method is to tilt backward diagonal on the control stick. That way you don't wind up doing down tilts on accident. Other than that, yeah-what Rykoshet said.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
1. Commit jabs
2. Crouch to cancel
3. ????
4. Profit!

Well, Rykoshet recommend shield to cancel into grabs, I can't really say its the best choice since there are times where you actually need to step forward and grab since it tends to not reach... Though attempting to run and grab, your opponent has the ability to spot dodge after getting jab'd... So basically its based on preference... I prefer just run and grab attempt to at least give that mindset to my opponent so I can probably get a Forward Smash off...

•Col•

Smash Champion
Ok, thanks everyone... I still have trouble doing jab-jab-dtilt spike that I've seen so much of... D: Any pointers?

XACE-K

Smash Master
Ok, thanks everyone... I still have trouble doing jab-jab-dtilt spike that I've seen so much of... D: Any pointers?
Well for the d-tilt spike, you have to be near the ledge and do either 1 or 2 jabs, crouch cancel, than d-tilt.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Well for the d-tilt spike, you have to be near the ledge and do either 1 or 2 jabs, crouch cancel, than d-tilt.
Lol... I've tried that... They always seem to grab the ledge and get the invincibility frames before I can hit them with the d-tilt... D: I don't think it can work on some fast fallers like the space animals...

I couldn't get it to work on Bowser either... Is there a list of characters that you can use it on? (Or or am I just doing something completely wrong? xD) Again, I don't have my Wii right now, so I can't test anything out...

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Hm. I remember hearing that a dtilt will come out faster if you're not crouching; tilting the joystick down enough so it registers downward input but not so much it makes you crouch.

So, using this, try smashing it down for the jab cancel and then allowing it to return to neutral and softly dtilting. That, or slam down for the cancel and then ease it up a bit going into the dtilt. Either should cause your dtilt to come out slightly faster, iirc.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Hm. I remember hearing that a dtilt will come out faster if you're not crouching; tilting the joystick down enough so it registers downward input but not so much it makes you crouch.

So, using this, try smashing it down for the jab cancel and then allowing it to return to neutral and softly dtilting. That, or slam down for the cancel and then ease it up a bit going into the dtilt. Either should cause your dtilt to come out slightly faster, iirc.
If that's true, then that may be my problem... I still don't think it's possible to do against some characters though... o-o

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
If that's true, then that may be my problem... I still don't think it's possible to do against some characters though... o-o
Ah, that's definitely true, excluding the probability of it being physically feasible at some odd damage % and DI crosspoint that you wouldn't realistically see.

Give it a shot though (or someone else) and let know how it goes. I've been trying to incorporate jab cancel - dtilt spike into my occasional Zelda playing.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
To be entirely honest, I'm fairly certain that your opponents are simply escaping. Even the training bots I've been messing around with can jump out of both the jab-jab-dtilt and the jab-dtilt after a certain % I've just been trying it on floaties thus far because you said it most likely wouldn't work on fastfallers. In any case, I'm pretty sure that this "combo" simply relies on human error...

I do remember seeing this in the "bad DI" video, if I remember correctly. Check out that thread and see if there are any answers in the replies, 'cuz I think a couple people mentioned it there.

•Col•

Smash Champion
To be entirely honest, I'm fairly certain that your opponents are simply escaping. Even the training bots I've been messing around with can jump out of both the jab-jab-dtilt and the jab-dtilt after a certain % I've just been trying it on floaties thus far because you said it most likely wouldn't work on fastfallers. In any case, I'm pretty sure that this "combo" simply relies on human error...

I do remember seeing this in the "bad DI" video, if I remember correctly. Check out that thread and see if there are any answers in the replies, 'cuz I think a couple people mentioned it there.
Lol, no... xD I had my friend as the other player, and he didn't DI or anything... I couldn't get it to work AT ALL though... And I wish I had my Wii right now so I could screw around with it...

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
try setting the C stick to attack.

I thought of a bit of a string (escape able combo) to lead into a D tilt spike right before my wii broke so I was never able to test it out so if anyone wants to its:

(with your back facing to the ledge) grab> grab release> jab> pivot boost grab> grab release> jab, cancel > D tilt.

if you grab them close to the edge you can skip the whole pivot boost thing and it will probably work more often. Also it won't work on people like bowser who can hit you before you hit him.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Colaya, the vid wasn't an actual vid about bad DI. The name was "that's just bad DI" to make fun of all the people that claim Ike totally sucks.

Watch it-good stuff.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Colaya, the vid wasn't an actual vid about bad DI. The name was "that's just bad DI" to make fun of all the people that claim Ike totally sucks.

Watch it-good stuff.
I know, I've watched it a few times a while ago... >.> But you were saying for the combo to work, it relied on "human error" which implied that the other person did something wrong... (i.e. Bad di...)

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
By human error, I mainly meant stupidity. All of the characters I've tried this on in training mode can jump out of it. I'm jab cancelling, but perhaps not quickly enough.

I agree with you, though-I'm nearly positive it won't work on certain characters, regardless of what you do. I wish I had a human to test things with. :(

Paladinight

Smash Apprentice
Over there! no, no, the one on the left or is it t
Well i pretty sure from what I've been able to do it is possible to do it most of the time, you just need to be frame perfect with activating the d-tilt on fast fallers but I'm not sure all I use is memory how long it will take before d-tilt is activated for Ike during the jab cancel.

Top Bottom