• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab Attacks

Ta-kun the Pyro

Smash Cadet

Alright, I didn't see a thread for this anywhere (I hope that means there isn't one).

I'd just like to know what you guys do after a jab with Ike. I tend to use the up tilt after a jab, or the ever so popular jab-grab. I also find myself using A,A,Dsmash and A,A,Ftilt a lot as well.

What attacks do you guys use after a jab or two?

•Col•

Smash Champion
Usually another jab... xD

Maybe a grab or an utlit..... It really depends on a lot of things... D:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Jab > Grab
Jab > Utilt
Jab > Moar Jabs
Jab > F-tilt (shouldn't be working much)
Jab > D-tilt (Again, shouldn't be working much)
Jab > D-Smash
Jab > Jab > Jab > Jab Combo

You get the picture.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
jab>utilt/ftilt/dtilt/dsmash does actually combo, and will either be DI'd out of easily, or be shielded.

Jab > more first/second jabs (via jab cancels) just give the other player more chances to escape from the already somewhat easy to DI out of AAA

I HIGHLY recommend ONLY using either the AAA combo, or the jab>grab as your two options you have for mixups

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I tend to use the jab combo to build damage and reset it to get someone out of my face. If I rapidly reset it I'm trying to bait an action, otherwise I'll cancel it on most characters (see NOT marth) like once then finish it for the damage. You're usually free to cancel it the first time but beyond that you're asking to get punished for being overzealous. If you limit yourself to just the "guarantees" (see: If they didn't smash DI during the first couple of hits, which if you're afraid to mix up followups, should be the case consistently) you're going to find yourself hurting at times for quick easy options at a stress-free KO, since jabs are an incredibly effective way to see how someone reacts to pressure, and can set things up like even Fsmashes if baited correctly. I don't know about you, but if I had the option to build someone to like, 24, and then flat out take their stock because of it, i'd go for it.

Aeropup

Smash Apprentice
I sometimes complete the jab, the follow up with a dash attack. Why hasn't this been mentioned?

Also Ryko, I've seen you jab-jab-bair in a vid once. How effective would you say it is?

Kirk

Smash Champion
Jab --> Jab (Not 2nd Jab...Repeat as necessary)

Jab --> Grab

Jab --> Wait (I like this one)

Full Combo is good by itself or after single jabs.

If they don't know how to escape/DI, go to town with Jab, 2nd Jab, Repeat.

@Aeropup - Because it doesn't work or can't be considered unless they are at...0% or something.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I do it here and there as a spacing technique against someone like d3 who it's dangerous to keep up jabs on but I may not actually ever kill with a jab string. I play a very poke and run style against d3 because I personally want to punch a baby the second I get grabbed. If theyre at something like 120 and I'm afraid to get shield grabbed, I turn around after a couple of jabs and do a retreating bair to space myself. If it hits them then cool, I just killed them, if it doesn't, well I'm in a much safer position.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
I find myself mostly doing the first jab over and over and then finishing it off, sometimes tossing in the second hit if I know the opposition is attempting to DI, and then using Aether (or just going up to the second hit over and over if they don't). I commonly fight someone who uses the control stick to jump, so it happens a lot. Basically, if you see them moving strangely when you're jab-cancel-comboing them, they're probably trying to DI, and if you hear their control stick slapping around, it's a dead give away. Learn to read it and act accordingly.

Then again, why should you listen to me? I don't do crap for follow-ups. Try Eruption very rarely, it's hilarious, and tends to work if they're starting to escape you.

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Jab>DSmash works wonders against unsuspecting people. Especially if you have them at a high percentage and you've been jabbing all match.

Ta-kun the Pyro

Smash Cadet
Wow, you guys throw aerials into the mix?

That opens the door to a lot of different combos. I think I'll start tryin out your different techniques to see what ones are best for certain situations/ characters.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Jab to aerials require an opponent to react offensively to work out needs to be retreated to give you some spacing. I do jab to retreating fair somewhat often when I need to space, sometimes I do jab to nair, and yeah jab to bair has been pretty common recently. If everyone reacted out of jab canceling like they should, attempted aerials in general would be far more common.

XACE-K

Smash Master
There are a lot of options to got with like jab->grab, jab->f-tilt, jab->d-smash, etc. but go with what you think best serves the situation. That's what I usually do.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Jab to grab i mostly do, I usually trow forward, depending on their %'s you can do stuff, if there at mids 40 50 you can space yourself into a fair or nair when they approach you or go in for jab pressure

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
Jab into a grab has never ever worked for me. They were always too far away, even after the first hit.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
I do these:

Jab>Jab>Roll Behind>F-Tilt, F-Smash

Jab>Jab>Jump Behind>B-Air

Jab>Jab>Retreating F-Air

Some tougher ones (May not work, need good practice/conditions)

Jab>Roll Behind>U/D-Tilt>Any air move

Jab>Jab>Roll Behind>Jab>Jab>Roll In front>F-Smash

Good counters to some people's attacks:

PS>Jab-Grab>D-Throw>D-Air (U-Air if percent is high enough)

PS>Jab>Wait>Jab>Wait>Wait More>PS>Roll Behind>F-Smash (Great mindgame)

Roll Behind>Jab>F-Smash (Does not always work)

When attacked in air: (Can use combos after jab is given)

AD/Fastfall>Jab

AD>Fall Behind target>Roll In Front>Jab (Great for mindgames)

AD>QD(Do not hit target)>Roll Behind>Jab

When recovering: (Can Also Use Combos after Jab is Given) (AD and other Horizontal Movement actions can be taken)

Aether/QD>Ledge (Sweetspot)>Jump Recovery>Land Behind Target>Jab

Aether/QD>Ledge (Overshoot)>Roll Behind>Jab

Fair>Ledge (Sweetspot)>Jump Recovery>Land Behind Target (Quite Far Away)>Roll in Front>Jab

My list of stuff. You can get really creative against a sitting duck :ike: :ike: :ike:

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
I tend to use Jab > Ftilt when I'm getting desperate for a kill. It doesn't always work, but it does work sometimes. If your opponent puts your shield up, it'll knock your opponent back a little bit so he won't really have time to punish you. Unless of course your opponent super shields the Ftilt :o. I also use Jab > Eruption at times merely for the sake to be unpredictable. It catches my opponents off guard sometimes. But for the most part, opponents tend to shield if they DI out of your jabs. So that's why you should be watching your opponent while you're jabbing him. Oh and Rykoshet, for that jab jab Bair, do you use the C-stick for the Bair?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I prefer a trial and error method approach with my jabs. I'll keep trying to predict movements after jab, or based on past matchup experience the dangers of keeping close with that person.

My favorite is to just
jab>jab>jab(hold A) because they usually start to DI after the second jab, and holding A will keep some extra hits in.

on floaty characters, jab>up tilt works a surprising amount of times if they're caught enough off guard at good percents.

other than those two, and jab-->grab, I really just try to do jump back fair or nair to keep my spacing in check. if his shield is low enough, I might try a back air to try to add some more pressure.

It all depends how they're defending (shield fiends, dodging, how well they DI out of attacks) and their position when you're jabbing, to be wary of opponent's/your options relative to the stage (ex. if they're getting jabbed in the middle of FD or at the edge of battlefield)

EDIT: ilovekimchixD: how often does ftilt after jab work for you? I'm always a bit afraid to use it, because it just feels risky for me. (actually, I'm afraid of using ftilt a lot in general =/)

Aeropup

Smash Apprentice
Kimchix, use the cstick for the bair so you can continue moving in the one direction.

Top Bottom