• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've made a list of Marth's TRUE combos

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I would like to add more landing Nair 1 combos. Nair to jab and Ftilt work too. You can combo into tipper Ftilt at kill percents and beyond. The Utilt which is a combo already mentioned will kill too in the combo.

Stuff I haven't tried that probably works: Nair to Dancing Blade and i bet Nair to Fsmash works at extremely high percents that you definitely won't reach in a match.

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
Nair 1 to Side B works pretty well, and I've managed to make it true-combo quite a bit. I've also managed to make fair spaced at a certain percent true-combo into side b.

I'll do some testing tomorrow and see what I can come up with for percents and stuff.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Been messing around with nair after the latest patch. I've been getting sour nair (hit 2) to true combo into tipper fsmash on Ike, tested from 30% to 50%. Didn't have more time to test it out further, but I find that advancing while short hop fastfalling sets it up best. It even kills near the ledge. (sadly i have no way to record this stuff :/ )

Sour nair to ftilt also works. Were combos like these possible pre-patch?

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Marth has 3 frames less landing lag on Nair so many of these combos didn't work before. Nair to Up B, Fair, Fsmash, Ftilt, Utilt, Jab, Uair, Nair, and Dash Attack all work.

RagnorokX

Smash Cadet
i was testing falling up air combos in training against mario. around 23-35 percent tipped up-air to tipped up tilt is a true combo, i think. it is very situational but can pull off a burst of damage pulling them up by 20 or so. can anyone confirm?

wow. way to go self, start off by double posting. internet lag fooled me into believing i hadnt posted first time. sorry.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
i was testing falling up air combos in training against mario. around 23-35 percent tipped up-air to tipped up tilt is a true combo, i think. it is very situational but can pull off a burst of damage pulling them up by 20 or so. can anyone confirm?

wow. way to go self, start off by double posting. internet lag fooled me into believing i hadnt posted first time. sorry.
Yeah lol, this is literally the first combo that anyone found with Marth

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Marth has 3 frames less landing lag on Nair so many of these combos didn't work before. Nair to Up B, Fair, Fsmash, Ftilt, Utilt, Jab, Uair, Nair, and Dash Attack all work.
Well, to be fair, n-air to f-smash was something that could always work. (at least against heavy characters) :p

It's cool to see how 3 frames less of u-tilt and n-air made Marth able to pull off so many more combos! Especially the f-smash combos. :p

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
The back hit of Utilt to Ftilt combos on Captain Falcon at and only at 47%. Yay I guess.

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
SH Nair > U-tilt > Dolphin Slash combos on Sheik at around 20-25%.

I'll test against other characters.
I got it to register on Sheik as early as 9%. It only does 22% while SH Nair > Tipper F-smash does 24% though. I guess it does prevent F-smash from staling.

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
this thread could use a revamp...

I'm trying to make a mental flowchart for marth's combo game, basically when I would do what in a match. But I really need to know the percent ranges on a when a few different moves combo into each other. I guess I'll do some testing tomorrow.

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
The problem with most of Marth's combo game is you need to land the starting hits really close to his body which is a really unsafe space for him to be at relative to his opponent across almost all match-ups. Your opponent di-ing them away is also an issue.Most of his combos are quite impractical mid-match unless your opponent whiffs something really laggy.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
This thread first post mentions mayeb 1/4 of the combos. Maybe.

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
Down Throw combos into Up B from 0-130% on middleweights. It's only useful 80+ since it's unsafe on hit otherwise.

Actually a uair at %s nothing else will connect combos into Up B too. Non tipper combos into full jump up b.

Last edited:

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
The problem with most of Marth's combo game is you need to land the starting hits really close to his body which is a really unsafe space for him to be at relative to his opponent across almost all match-ups. Your opponent di-ing them away is also an issue.Most of his combos are quite impractical mid-match unless your opponent whiffs something really laggy.
Most of these combos you'll do as punishes (roll reads, laggy moves, etc.) so you can adjust the spacing with little to no risk depending on the move being punished. These definitely aren't like melee marth combos where if you land a stray fair it can lead to death a few stylish slashes later...

Down Throw combos into Up B from 0-130% on middleweights. It's only useful 80+ since it's unsafe on hit otherwise.

Actually a uair at %s nothing else will connect combos into Up B too. Non tipper combos into full jump up b.
ThirtyFour strange to see you here, thought you would be busy training to show Smug up at EVO. Good info though, I usually throw my opponent forward because of the frame advantage from around 40% up to where an up throw would kill instead. but maybe some free damage from DS would be better at those higher percents.

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
I hate that marth doesn't have much for grab combos. Down throw> B-air > U-air> up tilt isn't really guaranteed as opponents easily airdodge after being thrown! he really needs more hitstun on his grabs, and less knockback for them as well.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I hate that marth doesn't have much for grab combos. Down throw> B-air > U-air> up tilt isn't really guaranteed as opponents easily airdodge after being thrown! he really needs more hitstun on his grabs, and less knockback for them as well.
He does not need more hitstun (hitstun is calculated from knockback). If you got more hitstun they'd be sent too far away. What he needs is less lag after performing his throws.

shoops

Smash Rookie
I may have found a pretty cool little combo off of F-Throw. F-Throw > full hop Fair > FF Dair, 25% off this combo. Not a true combo but if you time the dair right it can be done. It's possible to get out a up-smash, F-tilt or even a F-Smash after the Dair depending on DI or how they land so far from the testing we've done.

Could potentially be a nice mix-up at low percents.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I may have found a pretty cool little combo off of F-Throw. F-Throw > full hop Fair > FF Dair, 25% off this combo. Not a true combo but if you time the dair right it can be done. It's possible to get out a up-smash, F-tilt or even a F-Smash after the Dair depending on DI or how they land so far from the testing we've done.

Could potentially be a nice mix-up at low percents.
I've done this before and it isn't very good. Fair to Uair to Utilt is WAY better.

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
F-air can now combo into Marth's tipper jab combo / up-tilt as early as 0% agaisnt certain characters and forward / d-tilt a few percent later. The timing and spacing is super tricky as you have to hit them with the start of fair and land just after.

F-air to grab is also now a good setup at early percents.

The back hit of up-air also combos into his aerials. This was already known, but now it can happen at a larger percent range. Just posting it here cause I didn't see it up on the chart already.

Up-air to tipper forward smash now registers as a true combo for a higher percentage range. It's now a killing combo on certain characters. One good get-up read with falling up-air at the ledge can now lead to kills at around 30 - 40%. It doesn't have a super tight window and can work for quite a while if you go into the up-air from a running jump. Be mindful of your spacing when you land or you'll get the reverse hit-box out of forward smash.

On Final Destination, not accounting for DI, rage, or move staling, it will combo Sheik at 30% and start killing at 34% all the way up until 51%.

On Rosalina you've got to be careful because hits on Luma trigger the hit lag modifier and so the combo will likely drop at early or high percents. Without Luma getting in the way however, Rosalina will die as early as 30%.

Last edited:

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
F-air can now combo into Marth's tipper jab combo / up-tilt as early as 0% agaisnt certain characters and forward / d-tilt a few percent later. The timing and spacing is super tricky as you have to hit them with the start of fair and land just after.

F-air to grab is also now a good setup at early percents.

The back hit of up-air also combos into his aerials. This was already known, but now it can happen at a larger percent range. Just posting it here cause I didn't see it up on the chart already.

Up-air to tipper forward smash now registers as a true combo for a higher percentage range. It's now a killing combo on certain characters. One good get-up read with falling up-air at the ledge can now lead to kills at around 30 - 40%. It doesn't have a super tight window and can work for quite a while if you go into the up-air from a running jump. Be mindful of your spacing when you land or you'll get the reverse hit-box out of forward smash.

On Final Destination, not accounting for DI, rage, or move staling, it will combo Sheik at 30% and start killing at 34% all the way up until 51%.

On Rosalina you've got to be careful because hits on Luma trigger the hit lag modifier and so the combo will likely drop at early or high percents. Without Luma getting in the way however, Rosalina will die as early as 30%.
Omg.... I need to get home asap. Uair should be leading into some nasty stuff now. Can someone look at uair to dair setups for me pls???

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I got falling sour Uair to combo into SH Dair spike on Cpt. Falcon at 30%. This was non-tumble knockback.

I can't get falling Uair to combo into FH Dair spike (with tumble knockback). You definitely can in theory but it's really hard to get the spike when they require full-hops (it easily combos into other Dair hits). I can, however, combo it at 34% which is the earliest Uair gives Cpt. Falcon tumble knockback (but that's still SH Dair).

Last edited:

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
I got falling sour Uair to combo into SH Dair spike on Cpt. Falcon at 30%. This was non-tumble knockback.

I can't get falling Uair to combo into FH Dair spike (with tumble knockback). You definitely can in theory but it's really hard to get the spike when they require full-hops (it easily combos into other Dair hits). I can, however, combo it at 34% which is the earliest Uair gives Cpt. Falcon tumble knockback (but that's still SH Dair).
I see... I'll have to mess around with the full hop stuff. It'll probably be dependent on DI anyway.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Is all of this possible on the 3DS version? I've tried to do fast falling uairs with Captain Falcon on my 3DS and I had a hard time. So I'm wondering if fast fall uair to forward smash to Marth would even be possible. I mean, am I supposed to fast fall first or fast fall after I input uair?

ElementUser

Smash Cadet
Is all of this possible on the 3DS version? I've tried to do fast falling uairs with Captain Falcon on my 3DS and I had a hard time. So I'm wondering if fast fall uair to forward smash to Marth would even be possible. I mean, am I supposed to fast fall first or fast fall after I input uair?
If you have great control over your 3DS stick or have the new 3DS with that C-Stick "nub", yes it is possible.

Fast-falling after a Uair is just difficult if you leave Tap Jump on though, and the lack of a C-stick means it's a bit harder to buffer the smash, not to mention the circlepad can be tough to maneuver for things like FF Uair -> Smashes.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
If you have great control over your 3DS stick or have the new 3DS with that C-Stick "nub", yes it is possible.

Fast-falling after a Uair is just difficult if you leave Tap Jump on though, and the lack of a C-stick means it's a bit harder to buffer the smash, not to mention the circlepad can be tough to maneuver for things like FF Uair -> Smashes.
So I do uair first and then fast fall? Not fast fall and uair while I'm fast falling? Okay, thanks.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
It doesn't matter, just Uair as close to the ground as possible.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I don't think this was mentioned much here but:

Jab 1 combos into lots of interesting stuff at the 100 percent range.

Jab 1 into Dolphin Slash from 100 to very high percents is a true combo (though, after around 140 depending on characters you wont' get the sweetspot since they'll be knocked so high)

Nair weak hit combos into jab 1 always for a true combo too. So you can do stuff like Nair 1 ---> Jab 1 ----> Dolphin Slash for a kill closer to the edge.

Also, it's not a true combo as in it counts as a combo in the training room, but around 80ish +/- 20 percent based on character, you can "combo" jab 1 into dancing blade(or any move with similar startup time though DB covers all options like airdodge).

This is because all of your opponent's escape options aren't fast enough to avoid the DB. Your opponent can do 1 of these: attempt to double jump out, attempt to attack on the way down, attempt to air dodge. Jumping fails because they don't immediately move out on frame 1, they will consume their jump and get caught by your attack unless they were at the edge of the jab when it hit. If they try to attack they will get hit before their hitbox comes out, except for the absolute fastest of nairs, and even then if you are spaced out they will still get hit. If they try to airdodge, you'll just whiff the first DB hit and then they get airdodge landing lag and you can finish the series. If they simply do nothing, the DB will hit them before they hit the ground. Now, this doesn't really work quite as well if you hit your opponent while they were jumping in or something, since there is more time before they hit the ground and your followup attack has to hit them at a weird angle.

(Shameless shilling) I made a short video kinda talking about it. A lot of it is more technically talking about traps and setups, but I do demonstrate the Dolphin Slash comboing about midway through the video.

Norvelas

Smash Rookie
i've found that if you SHAD into a falling Uair is a lot easier and a lot safer than running up and doing a falling Uair. A bit more technical but SHAD is very important since, IMHO, it's what sets him up into a lot of combos, true combos, strings, and gives you time to rethink about commitment to attacking

DariusM27

Smash Ace
http://smashboards.com/threads/major-discovery-need-input.417293/#post-20125270

I posted this question and now no one is able to respond.

I am still interested in an answer to this question.

It seems that marth gains frames and/or mobility speed when switching cstick to attack instead of smash.

I can perfect combo with falling uair to dair on Roy at 40%, but only with cstick on attack.

Any other thoughts or testing on this observation would be appreciated.

i've found that if you SHAD into a falling Uair is a lot easier and a lot safer than running up and doing a falling Uair. A bit more technical but SHAD is very important since, IMHO, it's what sets him up into a lot of combos, true combos, strings, and gives you time to rethink about commitment to attacking
What does shad mean.
Short hop ____ _____?

Thanks for your time, loving the conversation in this thread

Last edited by a moderator:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
http://smashboards.com/threads/major-discovery-need-input.417293/#post-20125270

I posted this question and now no one is able to respond.

I am still interested in an answer to this question.

It seems that marth gains frames and/or mobility speed when switching cstick to attack instead of smash.

I can perfect combo with falling uair to dair on Roy at 40%, but only with cstick on attack.

Any other thoughts or testing on this observation would be appreciated.

What does shad mean.
Short hop ____ _____?

Thanks for your time, loving the conversation in this thread
I dunno. On 3ds right now, im able to get the combo to show up on the counter in training mode on cpt falcon and Sheik .

It's definitely just some sort of coincidence/placebo on your part. I say use it to your advantage haha :3
---------------------

Thread related.

DS on someone on the top platform ledge* on Battle field, they will ledge trip on the lower platform and be able to Dair them then ftilt them. Possibly Fsmash them.

so its On the Top Platform: DS>Ledge trip>FF Dair> Ftilt (Fsmash,Usmash) Does 40% all tippers btw.

Sometimes they dont land on the lower platform, and on the stage instead... When that happens The combo can still work if you are fast enough. I manage to do fair on them instead usually.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
I dunno. On 3ds right now, im able to get the combo to show up on the counter in training mode on cpt falcon and Sheik .

It's definitely just some sort of coincidence/placebo on your part. I say use it to your advantage haha :3

I'm not convinced it's placebo at all. Set Roy to 40% in training mode and try both settings, and do falling UAir to Dair.
Tell me if you are able to consistently get uair to dair to register as a true combo with cstick set to smash. Otherwise, don't please claim it's a placebo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom