• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've made a list of Marth's TRUE combos

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
35% to death chromfirmed.

This is very character and percentage dependent but still really cool.

Edit: Also the DB1 didn't actually combo into the Uair.

Last edited:

Aldax

Smash Rookie
35% to death chromfirmed.

sorry men but that is more of a follow up to a true combo
The follow-up is Up air->Side B->Up air->Down air
The other is Up air ->SIde B->Up air->Forward Smash

This is very character and percentage dependent but still really cool.

Edit: Also the DB1 didn't actually combo into the Uair.
It also adds Pit and Dark Pit

Last edited by a moderator:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
A few points of advice on the cutting edge of Marth Tech

1. Let's Get Fast. Optimizing Nair1
I've been using nair 1 a lot lately, I think it's an amazing move if you execute it as follows

--Short hop, then wait until the earliest moment that you can use nair 1 followed immediately by fastfall--
The longer you wait to do the nair1 to fastfall, the lower the nair will end up being.

I've found I can do several of these in a row quickly, and it kinda feels a bit like like sheik's fair, although follow-ups work differently of course.

Also, to mix things up, use --short hop air dodge to nair1-- this works to punish a dash grab, dash attack, someone landing after juggles, or jumping past ZSS's Stun gun or Robin's Arc Fire and landing your nair.
We've known for a while that Short Hop Air Dodge to Nair1 was a decent move, but it's situational because of the time it takes to wait for the airdodge to finish.

Pros for using nair 1 more
-It really doesn't take long to exicute, but you should always use fastfall to optimize speed.
-Characters like shiek and capt fal will often think that they have time to punish your landing lag, so it's a great bait move.
-If you land nair 1, it very reliably strings into grab, up b, jab, and even fsmash and usmash at higher percents. Easy setup for kill combos!
-If nair1 is used with jab, dtilt, grab, you can rack up safe damage while never having to use the more laggy moves (Ftilt, Utilt, Fair, Fsmash, and especially Dancing Blade)... Having this option makes me feel faster in general. I save the laggier moves for more certain punishes
-It's a good mindgame setup to INSTEAD OF ALWAYS doing nair1... do a few shorthops and STRAIGHT to fastfall, then different options --- dash grab, shield, roll, fair, dtilt, run.
And doing this keeps you relatively safe because you have so many safe options.

I've been getting Nair1 to string into sh dair spike at higher percents. I got a few meteor smashes with it. The Sh Db1 to nair to dair might work on taller medium to heavy characters between 80 and 110%

2. Optimizing Jab1
On a different note, I want to make sure people know this by now - if you land jab1 and then tap down(crouch) during the animation, you will be able to throw out another jab1 - or Fsmash - more consistently while not accidentally stringing into jab2, because the crouch cancels the jab2 combo input.

3. FYI - A Hard Read kill setup.
I realize this isn't going to work on HIGH level tourny play, but if you find yourself playing some scrubs, here you go...
--Grab pummel release - Jab 1 (tap down to cancel lag) - Fsmash Tipper --
I've gotting this to work on Shiek, but works most consistently on Link or Samus.
Note - This doesn't work at all on floaty characters because jab1 knocks them out of reach for Fsmash, but you may be able to chase with jab1 to fair.

The reason this option isn't as bad as some may think it is, both Marth and your Opponent are able to shield at the exact same moment after the pummel release. This means that even if you wiff jab1, or you do pummel release to shield, it is still a pretty safe option, disrupts your opponent's rhythm, and may lead into some good mindgame read situations.

That's all for now. Peace!

Last edited:

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
That's nice and all, but you're forgetting footstool combos that lead to kills. Footstool works with falling uair up to 74% reliably, and guarantees a spike down smash into tipper u-smash or f-smash. Btw I figured out the fastest way to pull off a ken combo, though it still doesn't count in the combo meter sadly. You need to have your opponent around 50% and near the ledge. A good indicator is a vine on the right side of FD that he is in the proper position. You basically move forward into your enemy and bair, then immediately run off the ledge and dair. There's enough hitstun where they don't really have solid enough options and they won't expect it. P.S. it is very hard to pull off.

Also can you include any strings as well?

Another thing I forgot to mention for footstools is that it is an extremely reliable way to get fair to f-smash around 40% because your opponent can't act out of it, only move around. You can also get it off of nair, but I haven't tested it enough.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
That isn't what a Ken combo is. That is a landing Bair to a run-off Dair. And if you want to do it like that, there are better ways. Nair has 5 frames less landing lag than Bair so there's no reason why Nair isn't better for this.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
That's nice and all, but you're forgetting footstool combos that lead to kills. Footstool works with falling uair up to 74% reliably, and guarantees a spike down smash into tipper u-smash or f-smash. Btw I figured out the fastest way to pull off a ken combo, though it still doesn't count in the combo meter sadly. You need to have your opponent around 50% and near the ledge. A good indicator is a vine on the right side of FD that he is in the proper position. You basically move forward into your enemy and bair, then immediately run off the ledge and dair. There's enough hitstun where they don't really have solid enough options and they won't expect it. P.S. it is very hard to pull off.

Also can you include any strings as well?

Another thing I forgot to mention for footstools is that it is an extremely reliable way to get fair to f-smash around 40% because your opponent can't act out of it, only move around. You can also get it off of nair, but I haven't tested it enough.

I'd like to see some gameplay of those.

I haven't found footstool setups to be reliable against high level players, but I'd love to learn about it if it actually works well.

And nair1 isn't just an option. It's marth's best arial and combo setup move. Like I said, the big payoff is that it's speed and minimal landing lag makes marth much less punishable than if he used only fair to space.

Last edited:

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
I'd like to see some gameplay of those.

I haven't found footstool setups to be reliable against high level players, but I'd love to learn about it if it actually works well.

And nair1 isn't just an option. It's marth's best arial and combo setup move. Like I said, the big payoff is that it's speed and minimal landing lag makes marth much less punishable than if he used only fair to space.
I did it against an npc, but I didn't pull it off at my tournament yesterday, but to be fair I was nervous and it was my second one. I also only recently found that out. Nair to footstool is really hard though, it might not even work due to DI, maybe jab can work at higher percents?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Hype

Jab 1 to tipper dsmash is a true combo at kill %s.

Not sure if its character-specific, but it DID work on Sheik, so that alone makes me happy =P

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Hype

Jab 1 to tipper dsmash is a true combo at kill %s.

Not sure if its character-specific, but it DID work on Sheik, so that alone makes me happy =P
Probably is. Sheik has a really fast fall speed. No doubt Dsmash will go right under other characters' legs at kill percents. But that's a good idea. In some cases, I can see Dsmash as the optimal choice. Miss it, however, (whether it's because of going under or because they are too far foward from DI) and you will be punished with whatever your opponent's best punish is.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Every character that is Sheik, or falls faster than Sheik, it works on at 80-120ish%

That being said, jab 1 to tipper uptilt is also a true combo that kills around the same %, tho if you are completely spaced with jab 1, uptilt would miss (barely) so it has to be the middle or closest to marth tipper part of jab 1.

Norvelas

Smash Rookie
Every character that is Sheik, or falls faster than Sheik, it works on at 80-120ish%

That being said, jab 1 to tipper uptilt is also a true combo that kills around the same %, tho if you are completely spaced with jab 1, uptilt would miss (barely) so it has to be the middle or closest to marth tipper part of jab 1.
i know this is asking much but who are the characters that fast fall faster than Sheik?

also, i've found that every character that doesn't have Sheik's fast fall and lower, you can Jab 1 twice to confirm a tipper Fsmash. Getting two Jab 1's in a row on a character that falls slower than Sheik isn't very common since it depends on the DI of the player, but, if you get it, it's definitely a tipper Fsmash.

i've had trouble getting two Jab 1's out so what i did is input a crouch, as soon as i see him crouch, or even the animation of crouching, you can Jab 1 again. same goes for the second Jab 1 to a Fsmash

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

Yeah for this reason I've always said that the tipper Utilt confirm is easier off of sourspot jab 1.

http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/FallSpeed/

Also, what makes first jab 1 different from second jab 1? o.o
Doing a second Jab 1 helps with spacing and is really good at stealing double jumps. It's also a great way to bait an air dodge.

Last edited:

Norvelas

Smash Rookie
ty for link haha.

and Jab 1 has reduced knock back since it's meant for Jab 2 to connect. If you pull off the first Jab 1, it knocks them back slightly but not tipper Fsmash. But, if you connect Jab 2, the knock back is the perfect distance for tipper Fsmash. Regardless of DI, as long as you are able to connect two Jab 1's, you can land a tipper Fsmash.

been practicing this lately, i can't confirm it, but it seems to be easier on heavies for obvious reasons

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
ty for link haha.

and Jab 1 has reduced knock back since it's meant for Jab 2 to connect. If you pull off the first Jab 1, it knocks them back slightly but not tipper Fsmash. But, if you connect Jab 2, the knock back is the perfect distance for tipper Fsmash. Regardless of DI, as long as you are able to connect two Jab 1's, you can land a tipper Fsmash.

been practicing this lately, i can't confirm it, but it seems to be easier on heavies for obvious reasons
Jab 2 is something else. You're talking about a second Jab 1.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Yeah for this reason I've always said that the tipper Utilt confirm is easy off of sourspot jab 1.

Doing a second Jab 1 helps with spacing and is really good at stealing double jumps. It's also a great way to bait an air dodge.
It can be tippered as well :)

Works best on fastfallers.

And I get it now =P So jab 1 to jab 1 isnt confirmed, but 2nd jab 1 to fsmash is? thats sick xD

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

And I get it now =P So jab 1 to jab 1 isnt confirmed, but 2nd jab 1 to fsmash is? thats sick xD
Uh no. Doing a second jab 1 totally depends on percent, spacing, and your mood (you can even do 3 if your opponent lets you). I wouldn't be absolute like saying that it confirms Fsmash (or even helps because sometimes it doesn't). Jab 1 is actually pretty easy to get out of. They can jump out of it or if they have a fast aerial they can simply hit Marth because at low percents jab 1 isn't safe on hit (unless you do the jab 2 full combo).

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Uh no. Doing a second jab 1 totally depends on percent, spacing, and your mood (you can even do 3 if your opponent let's you). I wouldn't be absolute like saying that it confirms Fsmash (or even helps because sometimes it doesn't). Jab 1 is actually pretty easy to get out of. They can jump out of it or if they have a fast aerial they can simply hit Marth because at low percents jab 1 isn't safe on hit (unless you do the jab 2 full combo).
That's what I figured =P I hadnt tested so I had to go by what I heard xDD

Norvelas

Smash Rookie
Jab 2 is something else. You're talking about a second Jab 1.
Ah yeah I meant Jab 1. Two Jab 1's

Depends on weight, percent, and character. Different in every situation but I do know for sure that getting two Jab 1's can lead to a tipper Fsmash if done properly

Last edited by a moderator:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Marth can fair to up B on Sheik (and other characters, just using her as reference) from 55-75%, kills Sheik near-ish the ledge at 60%

He can also ff upair into double jump fair > up B to kill even earlier (and to setup the fair easier)

You have to use forward momentum from your jump to be right next to Sheik after the fair, so you can up B immediately.

Last edited:

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
Marth can fair to up B on Sheik (and other characters, just using her as reference) from 55-75%, kills Sheik near-ish the ledge at 60%

He can also ff upair into double jump fair > up B to kill even earlier (and to setup the fair easier)

You have to use forward momentum from your jump to be right next to Sheik after the fair, so you can up B immediately.
Posted that a while ago, guy.

Ako.

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlippinFilipino
Oh didn't know that :)

TO be clear, we're talking about this, right?

Landed those a few times, i've seen ppl survived those with good di. I even did it today to a fox or was it a palutena? cant remember which character, but i fair > upb at the end of the stage and he still survived

grooveninja

Smash Rookie
NNID
groovekingjames
3DS FC
4098-6638-6423
A somewhat useless true combo I've tried in training mode was Dthrow -> Dolphin Slash on the other side. Maybe it could be used to annoy the player or bait him into airdodging in future grabs?

jarbAin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4124-6082-4371
Is it possible to get a footstool from not tipper up tilt or from the part of up tilt that hits behind you? It seems to work pretty well in training, but further inspection would be necessary.
It could be useful, if you get the footstool and then immediately counter (also side b?) to negate the jump. Should work around 20% This could possibly lead to a tipper fsmash, if the opponent cannot roll away or do other countermeasures.

Aparently, up air works beter, which I believe is already known.

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace

Side b - nair 1 - utilt can be a 3 hit true combo at 130% or higher, on some characters.

Also, did u guys know that marth has a getup lock on omega stages? Falling nair to dair stage spike ground locks between 17-24%ish.
I didn't know if this worked pre patch. Not exactly the easiest string to get though.

Last edited:

Sir Lancelot

Smash Cadet
Is it possible to get a footstool from not tipper up tilt or from the part of up tilt that hits behind you? It seems to work pretty well in training, but further inspection would be necessary.
It could be useful, if you get the footstool and then immediately counter (also side b?) to negate the jump. Should work around 20% This could possibly lead to a tipper fsmash, if the opponent cannot roll away or do other countermeasures.

Aparently, up air works beter, which I believe is already known.
If this works, an early percent true combo could be:
Falling up air > footstool > side b momentum cancel > dair jab lock > land on the ground > SH DB > up air > tipper fsmash
i believe this is a true combo all the way through. If it works, it would do a lot of damage to open up a stock.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Falling up air > footstool > side b momentum cancel > dair jab lock > land on the ground > SH DB > up air > tipper fsmash
i believe this is a true combo all the way through. If it works, it would do a lot of damage to open up a stock.
SH DB doesn't do enough knockback (kb = hitstun) at percents under 100 to true combo into other things, but it could still work.

I'll check out back hit Utilt to footstool. It's true that with Utilt's less cooldown, this may be possible now.

Last edited:

jarbAin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4124-6082-4371
Also, nair 1 can lead to footstools at +100% Not sure if it is useful, but i kind of feel that it might be.
However, at that point dair launches people pretty far upwards, so this isn't actually a kill combo.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Also, nair 1 can lead to footstools at +100% Not sure if it is useful, but i kind of feel that it might be.
However, at that point dair launches people pretty far upwards, so this isn't actually a kill combo.
That sounds nice. Even so, Dair to Uair kills. They'll tech Dair though.

Sir Lancelot

Smash Cadet
SH DB doesn't do enough knockback (kb = hitstun) at percents under 100 to true combo into other things, but it could still work.

I'll check out back hit Utilt to footstool. It's true that with Utilt's less cooldown, this may be possible now.
Thanks for the information. I didn't know about SH DB. In that case, we can omit the DB after landing and just go to falling uair to fsmash.

thekingofidiots

Smash Rookie
NNID
rplaya
3DS FC
2680-9824-4330
Here's what I've gotten so far about Marth's fair>fair/dolphin slash.
This was all tested on C. Falcon on an Omega stage.

FF Uair>SH Fair>DS is true from 55-102%+
About 90%+ this only connects with the untechable spin after the first fair. At least on Falcon
Use FH fair from 77-84%. DON'T buffer fair.
Immediately DJ jump for 85-91%
91%+ Try to use your jumps to get to a height that, after fair, puts your opponent slightly to above and to your side. Make sure fair still combos rather than focusing on positioning too much.
This combo can kill used near the ledge and when the percent is still low enough to get the sweetspot DS.

Pros:​
I think it'd be a nice, simple 28% (sweetspot DS) or 24% (no sweetspot) punish with a wide percent range
Can kill early of off just an up air
Wide percent range
Hard to punish (if even possible) on hit
Kills earlier than the other combo

Cons:​
Hard to connect DS at higher percents
Connecting DS at 90%+ is random (a possible dropped kill to clutch out a game) and...
Missing DS a big punish against Marth
Loses kill power at higher percents
Suicidal when used at the ledge

FF Uair>SH Fair>Tipper Fair is true from 58-94%+
Just like the last combo, this is reliant on the untechble spin. Might still just be Falcon
Immediately DJ From 62-91%
From 85-89 really try for the innermost hitbox that isn't the reverse hitbox
90%+ Try to use your jumps to get up as high as possible without sacrificing the combo
Doesn't get the tip fair easily

Pros:​
Easy to do at low percents
Gains kill power as the percents rack up
Not suicidal
Harder to punish (if even punishable)
Wide percent range
Better positioning
Does 29% (2nd fair tips) or 25% (no tip) so this combo does more damage assuming tht if one sweetspots, so does the other

Cons:​
Smaller percent range
Even harder to connect at high percents
Hitting at high %'s is random (a possible dropped kill to clutch out a game)
Not as flashy :^)

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Is d-throw bair footstool true on medium weights?
Don't know. But I don't know why I never thought of doing this. I will mention that footstool are frame 1 so even if it wasn't it would be super hard to escape. It also depends on how late of a Bair you get; the later the Bair, the less end lag until footstool.

Last edited:

SmBootZ

Smash Cadet
Is Jab into F-tilt a true combo? i never seem to see anyone get out of it.

Fephoenix

Smash Cadet
Seeing as how this hasn't been closed yet, I'll ask a question here. Is Dair + Usmash a even slightly viable option? You need to hit them directly down for the spike then land and immediately go into up smash. I tested it on Mario at 80% to start and it K.Oed him. Also could try Dair + Utilt for a damage rack up at a lower percentage perhaps.

Edit: You can't hit them directly down. You have to hit just a little bit away from directly below you to launch them up and get the combo.

// Also has been successfully done on Roy in an actual battle. CPU but eh...

Last edited:

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
This is a list of true combos, and it will never be a true combo, but can work if the opponent lets it happen. You can tech the meteor down air so it usually shouldn't lead into anything.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
So - I just realized that Marth's rising Uair isn't terrible. I may have played with this move before, but maybe not since the damage buff.

Anyway, Full hop Uair True Combos to 2nd jump Uair around 70-80%, and at higher percent it could turn into a KO juggle situation.

Thoughts on this? Anyone else try this string before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnu8-1gn0a8

I suggest people try out rising Uair if you haven't yet. It's Marth's fastest aerial (frame 5 - whereas Fair doesn't attack until frame 6).
I got the SH rising Uair to hit on MetaKnight and Pikachu, but it isn't consistent on shorter characters. It seems decent vs average height characters though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom