• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) It's from THE PEOPLE OF SMASH!

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
I know right? Also *Erin Fitzgerald*, my bad. But yeah. This Spirit Bomb better be big. For all we know, given their support, they have a nasty surprise in store for us as well. We need to stay humble and focused on the goal.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Because the game is no longer in production and they can't profit off of it.
Melee HD with online play would sell truckloads on the Wii U.

Also, can you imagine the money they could make off of Smash veterans by making a Smash Wii U Controller that was shaped and had the button layout of the GC controller?

Any youtubers among us? I'll be working on a quick guide on how to record in pretty good quality. Will be posted on youtube and Smashboards. The trick is really easy

Ever since I got the subscriber boost 2 days ago I've been feeling more motivated about my channel. Not sure what I'd starting doing after this contest, but I want to get a little bit more serious again

I can afford to give at least $20 when the stream starts

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
That was the most amazing thing, and I don't even know anything about DBZ. First of all I still marvel at the technology, wherein 2600 people are able to watch another guy broadcast his obscure hobby on a Monday night, with like multiple camera angles and stats and stuff. Then it was actually a really enjoyable run. Even without familiarity with this game, it was apparent how technical it was, the skips he was pulling off, and how much knowledge he had to have to move the way he did. Then there was a Spirit Bomb. And shirtlessness. And I shared my energy. But the Spirit Bomb almost failed. And then Scar, the homie, did receive the spirit bomb. It was magnificent.

I will be ready for the final Spirit Bomb.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
hate to play the mood-breaker but this mini spirit bomb will be useless if we don't keep the donations steady. Their numbers rise up every 10 minutes. Ours don't. So please keep asking your friends, your parents, etc.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... I know that before, people were mentioning SG had somewhere between 2-3k in hidden funds for sniping/anti-sniping, but does anybody know how much they have now, compared to what we have?

I'm assuming aside from what got dumped recently, we have 3.5k in potential matching funds, right? Or was that 3.5k in funds already "hidden", and another 3.5k in potential matching? I figured if we have that much funds, it probably won't be anything to worry about... but of course we have to do everything we can just in case.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... I know that before, people were mentioning SG had somewhere between 2-3k in hidden funds for sniping/anti-sniping, but does anybody know how much they have now, compared to what we have?

I'm assuming aside from what got dumped recently, we have 3.5k in potential matching funds, right? Or was that 3.5k in funds already "hidden", and another 3.5k in potential matching? I figured if we have that much funds, it probably won't be anything to worry about... but of course we have to do everything we can just in case.
Personally, I think they have at least $10,000 saved up. This doesn't include donations that people will probably throw in for their Thursday night livestream. I predict them adding about $16,000 more in total. Maybe as much as $20,000. I'm probably verging on conspiracy theorist with that amount but won't it be better to beat that number anyway? I think we can.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Personally, I think they have at least $10,000 saved up. This doesn't include donations that people will probably throw in for their Thursday night livestream. I predict them adding about $16,000 more in total. Maybe as much as $20,000. I'm probably verging on conspiracy theorist with that amount but won't it be better to beat that number anyway? I think we can.
They will cross 50k
we better break100k

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Yeah... honestly, one big concern I haven't voiced is this- how do you prove a company hasn't contributed to their own donation drive? Melee is out of course because we all know Nintendo doesn't give half a **** about this awesome game (if they have, they're hiding it damn well... watch the new SSB be literally an HD port of melee lol).

From what I've gathered, Mike Z (creator of skullgirls) has been pretty good about voicing his concerns about this as well, but as you said, from a conspiracy theorist's perspective, it's all too easy to shake hands with one hand and cross your fingers with the other behind your back.

What we do know is that aside from Melee, almost every single game listed in the 8th slot donation drive can gain some mighty exposure and a potential new market from being in EVO's main event... and in certain situations, a chance like that is easy cheaper than dropping $30k on an uncertain ad campaign.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah... honestly, one big concern I haven't voiced is this- how do you prove a company hasn't contributed to their own donation drive? Melee is out of course because we all know Nintendo doesn't give half a **** about this awesome game (if they have, they're hiding it damn well... watch the new SSB be literally an HD port of melee lol).

From what I've gathered, Mike Z (creator of skullgirls) has been pretty good about voicing his concerns about this as well, but as you said, from a conspiracy theorist's perspective, it's all too easy to shake hands with one hand and cross your fingers with the other behind your back.

What we do know is that aside from Melee, almost every single game listed in the 8th slot donation drive can gain some mighty exposure and a potential new market from being in EVO's main event... and in certain situations, a chance like that is easy cheaper than dropping $30k on an uncertain ad campaign.
During this podcast, Omar Kendall, the guy behind Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, states that they COULD 'buy our way into EVO' and 'That's a very easy game for us to win' around the 8-minute mark. Of course, they won't do that for various other reasons mentioned in the podcast, but it's likely a possibility if the company has an invested interest in having the game fill that 8th slot.

I don't see any game in the running with as much to gain/lose as SG or FiM though.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
During this podcast, Omar Kendall, the guy behind Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, states that they COULD 'buy our way into EVO' and 'That's a very easy game for us to win' around the 8-minute mark. Of course, they won't do that for various other reasons mentioned in the podcast, but it's likely a possibility if the company has an invested interest in having the game fill that 8th slot.

I don't see any game in the running with as much to gain/lose as SG or FiM though.
The others may not have much to gain
but dropping $1 million is also nothing to them
edit: if sony indirectly dropped 1 million there would be no place large enough to hold all the salt

Dax

Smash Journeyman

It's very simple, you can't, and that's exactly what I already said, but some people can feel free to believe that they raised all 25k "from the fans" (the same fans that show up at their locals: 2 ? ).
I have no idea where you did saw that Mike Z "voiced his concerns" because if anything, he made it very clear many times that he has "people who can contribute\match donations". And since it ain't himself it's okay I guess... lol.
Personally, I don't think even directly supporting the game (with the voice actors, being directly involved, etc) should've been OK but that's another story.
As I already explained, EVO is a great marketing investment, and his company ain't even got to pay it full, maybe only one quarter of what the final sum will be, so can't say I'm surprised. Don't be surprised to see a big splash in the end.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
It's very simple, you can't, and that's exactly what I already said, but some people can feel free to believe that they raised all 25k "from the fans" (the same fans that show up at their locals: 2 ? ).
I have no idea where you did saw that Mike Z "voiced his concerns" because if anything, he made it very clear many times that he has "people who can contribute\match donations". And since it ain't himself it's okay I guess... lol.
Personally, I don't think even directly supporting the game (with the voice actors, being directly involved, etc) should've been OK but that's another story.
As I already explained, EVO is a great marketing investment, and his company ain't even got to pay it full, maybe only one quarter of what the final sum will be, so can't say I'm surprised. Don't be surprised to see a big splash in the end.
At the same time unless Mike's been hiding any form of payment to his entire community, I don't think he himself would be able to directly donate that much anyway- from what I know, he hasn't even been paid for his work on Skullgirls yet (if he ever will?). I feel like if a donation DOES come from the SG devs, it might be from Konami- after all, who's more interested in profitability than the publisher itself? But that's just my bit of being a conspiracy nut. I guess it's good to have that out of my system.

And thanks Matador! That was a great bit of insight.

ec0

Smash Rookie
This is not fair...
So... this fight between melee and skullgirls doesnt make sense to me... the smash community has already shown through the years that is alot bigger than a community like the skullgirls one (its stupid to compare the events that the smash community organizes during a year with the skullgirls ones). But, both games have raised almost the same money... why? Its obvious that the skullgirl community is getting all the support from the developers, famous voice actors and all the people related with the game. This people is "working" for the game, leading the campaign and making everyone know that this fight is happening. On the other hand, we have the smash community witch is working together but without the developers (nintendo) leading the campaign... I mean, if both games were in the same situation (without any support), the smash community would win eassily. If both games had the support of the developers, smash would destroy skullgirls. Regardless of the game you want to win, we have two games competing in different conditions and ... what if skullgirls win? How should melee fans feel after seeing that his efforts have been futile simply because this situation? why are the organizers allowing this to happen?

:phone:

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
This is not fair...
So... this fight between melee and skullgirls doesnt make sense to me... the smash community has already shown through the years that is alot bigger than a community like the skullgirls one (its stupid to compare the events that the smash community organizes during a year with the skullgirls ones). But, both games have raised almost the same money... why? Its obvious that the skullgirl community is getting all the support from the developers, famous voice actors and all the people related with the game. This people is "working" for the game, leading the campaign and making everyone know that this fight is happening. On the other hand, we have the smash community witch is working together but without the developers (nintendo) leading the campaign... I mean, if both games were in the same situation (without any support), the smash community would win eassily. If both games had the support of the developers, smash would destroy skullgirls. Regardless of the game you want to win, we have two games competing in different conditions and ... what if skullgirls win? How should melee fans feel after seeing that his efforts have been futile simply because this situation? why are the organizers allowing this to happen?

:phone:
Because your Gods have forsaken you.

dkuo

Smash Lord
yo dont worry about whether or not their devs or whatever are putting their money into their donation. we'll still take it in the end :)

Sedda

Smash Champion
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say that I've been following the SSBM and SSB64 scene for a couple of years. I've never touched the controller or anything of the sort, but aside from the awesome gameplay and competitiveness, this is a great community you guys have built over the last decade or so. Really inspiring stuff.

I will be putting $20 toward Melee because it's literally all I can afford to give you guys, but I'm doing it from the perspective of an admirer for your community; Not even as a player. You should all be extremely proud of what you've accomplished here. Even if you don't make it into EVO, Smashboards really shows that it's the community that makes a game competitive and not the game itself. Screw all the people who say this isn't a "real" fighting game. Oh it's real, and it's the only game/community of its kind!

#womenssoccer

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say that I've been following the SSBM and SSB64 scene for a couple of years. I've never touched the controller or anything of the sort, but aside from the awesome gameplay and competitiveness, this is a great community you guys have built over the last decade or so. Really inspiring stuff.

I will be putting $20 toward Melee because it's literally all I can afford to give you guys, but I'm doing it from the perspective of an admirer for your community; Not even as a player. You should all be extremely proud of what you've accomplished here. Even if you don't make it into EVO, Smashboards really shows that it's the community that makes a game competitive and not the game itself. Screw all the people who say this isn't a "real" fighting game. Oh it's real, and it's the only game/community of its kind!

#womenssoccer

We salute you, soldier.

Smash/Melee is blessedly cursed with being a hidden gem of a competitive game. No one sees our game nor its players as competitive. It's all items and button mashing. Everyone who thinks of competitive play believes the game dumbs down to no items, Fox only, Final Destination. We are not well looked upon and even hated by many. We are the joke of competitive gaming. We don't even have the approval of our own game's developers

But in a few ways, that isn't something we've needed. Look at us still alive after over a decade of being played well. There are a lot of us who contribute to the community on their own efforts; organizing tournaments, running streams, and producing content on youtube. We don't depend on others to make things happen, we make it happen ourselves

Now let's make Melee in EVO happen. I'm sure you know what could happen with massive exposure and outside support. Just take a look at the FGC ever since SF4 happened. They had a lot of inside support to support their revival. We can be the ones to begin a similar success of our own

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I don't think Nintendo will ever officially and openly acknowledge a competitive scene they haven't created (Smash 4 maybe?) but if Sakurai hasn't noticed us at this point in the drive he definitely will have by the time we get to Evo.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Nintendo will ever officially and openly acknowledge a competitive scene they haven't created (Smash 4 maybe?) but if Sakurai hasn't noticed us at this point in the drive he definitely will have by the time we get to Evo.
Seeing what happened to Brawl (which, despite opinions from the FGC sold like hotcakes), I have a sinking feeling that we'll never see a smash game that's truly meant for a competitive theater. Someone just mentioned in the other thread that we have absolutely no control over what happens in Smash 4 (in context, he was talking about in comparison with SG where Mike Z is pretty much inside the community himself), and I found myself wishing hard that we could have something like that too.

Who knows? Perhaps we'll be surprised with Smash 4... but I have a feeling that making the game "more casual" is just too tempting for the company. Sad feels all around man. Let's take EVO.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
Seeing what happened to Brawl (which, despite opinions from the FGC sold like hotcakes), I have a sinking feeling that we'll never see a smash game that's truly meant for a competitive theater. Someone just mentioned in the other thread that we have absolutely no control over what happens in Smash 4 (in context, he was talking about in comparison with SG where Mike Z is pretty much inside the community himself), and I found myself wishing hard that we could have something like that too.

Who knows? Perhaps we'll be surprised with Smash 4... but I have a feeling that making the game "more casual" is just too tempting for the company. Sad feels all around man. Let's take EVO.
why smash 4 when project m

Sedda

Smash Champion
From an outside perspective on the whole competitive stuff, I believe that the core of Nintendo's disregard of the competitive Smash scene and their attempt at trying to make Brawl very uncompetitive (which proves my point that it's the community that makes the game competitive, not vice versa) is that they're scared about losing money. It's possible that their point of view is "If a potential customer sees some pro laying down crazy combos, they might think it's too difficult of a game for them to even pick up." Just speculation, though.

It's interesting to think of Nintendo in that way, since they 'seem' like the friendliest of the three big VG companies. I can see how they might think in those terms, but for me personally, man... I'd love to be as good as some of you at these games.

You guys don't have much to worry about. In my humble opinion, I think you should forget about Nintendo entirely. It sucks that you've built this community from scratch and they've never set an eye on/acknowledge you, but it's their loss. Besides, plenty of good flavors to choose from already (64, Melee, Brawl, PM...). Putting too much hope in Nintendo to make something that's meant to be highly competitive just begs for disappointment.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
From an outside perspective on the whole competitive stuff, I believe that the core of Nintendo's disregard of the competitive Smash scene and their attempt at trying to make Brawl very uncompetitive (which proves my point that it's the community that makes the game competitive, not vice versa) is that they're scared about losing money. It's possible that their point of view is "If a potential customer sees some pro laying down crazy combos, they might think it's too difficult of a game for them to even pick up." Just speculation, though.
this really is bizarre though, by this logic someone sees a speedrun of the next NSMB and doesn't pick it up

Top Bottom