• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

iTouch & Olimar : ]

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
Recently, I really got into the whole "if you know more about the character, the better you play and eventually get" deal, and I found that hauling around a laptop got to be a real pain.

Anyway, as of now, I have an iTouch and as most people who have seen one or been in contact with one know that they have a Notes application on them. Well, thanks to Hilt, I started putting a lot of Olimar knowledge onto it, yet it is very sloppy in look, as in none of it is aligned. I tried my hardest to get it to align yet, to no avail, I could not get it and I am not impressed entirely with the look of it.

So my point to this thread/post is to ask if anyone knew of a Spreadsheet or List Application of some sort that i can download [free or buy] to make it look and feel better.

As of now, here are some pics of my attempts with the notes.

Pikmin Pluck Chart: done by Hilt

Olimar Match-up List: (some of these weren't listed in our thread so I searched other boards and some are made up by what i feel the match-up is)

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
<3

Seeing this at that tournament a couple months ago was so amazing

^.^

well, the one you saw was the pikmin chart, which is, without a doubt, really cool :D

however, i did just add the numbers.

i think even you can appreciate how much im putting into this "little" project

Dotcom

Smash Lord
This is actually sexy somewhat. Can you do sub notes, because if you could maybe you could add little bulletins on certain subjects you need outside help on.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
This is actually sexy somewhat. Can you do sub notes, because if you could maybe you could add little bulletins on certain subjects you need outside help on.

well with the itouch im only able to make note but each one is labeled quite well, and it brings up a full "Note" menu of all my notes so i can easily switch between them. so like in my menu i have one note dedicated to pikmin pluck chart, another note dedicated to matchup numbers, another one to upcoming MM's and another one (soon to be) dedicated to stage list and counterpicks for characters.

its all laid out well, its just very sloppy when i open it, so im hoping to clean it up a bit

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
sin, you going to that tourney in springfield right?
a little off subject but not hurting anybody.
hahahaha, i am the springfield olimar and i live 7-10min away from the venue. id be sad if i didn't.

on topic tho, still looking into lists and i did find a few that may work, just need to try them out

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
i'd like to readdress this cause i think i misunderstood it the first time but looking at it now, its more clear to me, pic coming soon.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
That's actually pretty cool. You take it out at tournaments and decide how best to play, how hard the matchup will be, etc.

If I may suggest another thing to add? The names and styles of players. For example, you face someone, then, after the match, you add their name (in the game and IRL), then write a few stuff you notice about their playstyle (how often they go for grabs, how often do they use certain combos, etc.)

While it'd be near impossible to finish, it gives you the edge in rematches, and allows you to assist others facing the people whose data you have stored.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
That's actually pretty cool. You take it out at tournaments and decide how best to play, how hard the matchup will be, etc.

If I may suggest another thing to add? The names and styles of players. For example, you face someone, then, after the match, you add their name (in the game and IRL), then write a few stuff you notice about their playstyle (how often they go for grabs, how often do they use certain combos, etc.)

While it'd be near impossible to finish, it gives you the edge in rematches, and allows you to assist others facing the people whose data you have stored.
believe it or not this is something i have considered before, but i have been waiting for a BIG tournament to get some accurate readings on people. Such like, i know how bowyer plays. Just i need to add it in, its something i will deff take a look into cause i agree, every edge you can get on someone can always make the difference.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
Such like, i know how bowyer plays.
lol, if you think I play like that against everyone, you're way off.

1. I might do it if I'm playing against another top player depending on what character they're playing... Such as IC's, Pikachu, Falco, Diddy, GW, and sometimes Snake... and that list is getting smaller as I'm learning the matchups better because Bowyering isn't the best strategy against close to all characters.

2. I'll do it if my opponent pissed me off somehow just to piss them off XD

3. I generally won't do it if I'm not playing against a top player cause there's no need, lol.

So yah, I don't play quite that way against most people... Though I do still wait for openings, I just do it closer, and go in a lot cause most people give me a lot to punish.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
lol, if you think I play like that against everyone, you're way off.

1. I might do it if I'm playing against another top player depending on what character they're playing... Such as IC's, Pikachu, Falco, Diddy, GW, and sometimes Snake... and that list is getting smaller as I'm learning the matchups better because Bowyering isn't the best strategy against close to all characters.

2. I'll do it if my opponent pissed me off somehow just to piss them off XD

3. I generally won't do it if I'm not playing against a top player cause there's no need, lol.

So yah, I don't play quite that way against most people... Though I do still wait for openings, I just do it closer, and go in a lot cause most people give me a lot to punish.
was an example, i just got done watching planks match with puffster and you were the first name that came to mind that i thought he might recognize with being one of the best MW MK's.

was not meant to be "oh bowyer camps against everyone he plays." i know thats not true and i know it is one strategy you have if needed in your arsenal. but like is said, was just usign a familiar name with many diff styles of play, wasnt meant to be hate <3

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
was an example, i just got done watching planks match with puffster and you were the first name that came to mind that i thought he might recognize with being one of the best MW MK's.

was not meant to be "oh bowyer camps against everyone he plays." i know thats not true and i know it is one strategy you have if needed in your arsenal. but like is said, was just usign a familiar name with many diff styles of play, wasnt meant to be hate <3
I didn't take it as hate, I just wanted to clarify it for people who don't know.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This is actually pretty cool. Reminds me of the nerdy character in any anime that lugs around a computer to collect data and actively analyze their opponent.

Although, I don't see match-up ratios being of that much use during a set.

Maybe info like stage counterpicks would be much more handy.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
This is actually pretty cool. Reminds me of the nerdy character in any anime that lugs around a computer to collect data and actively analyze their opponent.

Although, I don't see match-up ratios being of that much use during a set.

Maybe info like stage counterpicks would be much more handy.
The match up numbers are there for reference and really are not of any use, but if i hear someone say "oh olimar is this against X" then i can really see if it is.

also, CP's is gonna be one my iTouch here shortly, just got to get all the info ready.

Also, the bold is what I'm avoiding. Sure, my laptop goes with me everywhere, but I don't want to start it up just to see what my options are going to be. So, thus i am a nerd for Real Life that carries around a hand held to help in brawl :D

TheHiveMind

Smash Cadet
Idk, if you guys are playing pro smash, you should know the matchups and counterpicks by now. Its not that hard.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord

Those characters never really win fights. They only support the main guys and barely at that. :3

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Guys, it shouldn't be about memorizing the counterpicks. It should be about knowing your opponent, his/her characters, your characters, and the specific attributes of the stages well enough to decide what stage will maximize your chance of winning in a set. You've also got to take in to account other aspects such as what stages you're more comfortable on and do well on as well.

For example, I absolutely love smashville. The music soothes me and I concentrate well there. Even against characters like ROB I'll do better at smashville than say Battlefield. Knowing what stages theoretically should help is good and all, but knowing how to decide what stage to pick is even more valuable.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
Guys, it shouldn't be about memorizing the counterpicks. It should be about knowing your opponent, his/her characters, your characters, and the specific attributes of the stages well enough to decide what stage will maximize your chance of winning in a set. You've also got to take in to account other aspects such as what stages you're more comfortable on and do well on as well.

For example, I absolutely love smashville. The music soothes me and I concentrate well there. Even against characters like ROB I'll do better at smashville than say Battlefield. Knowing what stages theoretically should help is good and all, but knowing how to decide what stage to pick is even more valuable.
this^^ (smashville music is very soothing, especially with Toto there :D)

I know most of the people I play in Ohio for the most part. Sure, there are always new people and NO ONE ever plays the same against me if they lost the first time. It's not to say that I don't feel comfortable on level X and would rather take them to level Y because its setup and layout is better but to rather say, "here's my options." I am a huge fan of options and when it comes down to it, Olimar may not have as many as i like (his recovery is one that makes me sad), but i LOVE LOVE LOVE playing him. So, my options come from levels and the different variation of pikmin they can lead me to.

As Hilt knows, I am starting to love Delfino, beating Meta Knights on it more than losing (record there is 5-1 atm) and i also love Battlefield, but lets face, there are characters that can better utilize those stages, ESPECIALLY Battlefield. Plus, these charts that others put their time into are here for a reason. To give the knowledge to the inspiring people to play Olimar as well as we can possibly get.

I guess out of this rambling I'm just really trying to say that I want to push my boundaries. Maybe level X is better against character Y and i should start practicing it, or maybe level U will give me this interesting lineup, what can i do there that will make my game stronger in case i get CP'd there?

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
Idk, if you guys are playing pro smash, you should know the matchups and counterpicks by now. Its not that hard.
you really miss the point, with as much as im in the olimar boards, i know the match ups. having it the re for referrence is not bad, nor does it mean i dont know a matchup. it is there for pure reference and that is it, or maybe someone picks ike against me and doesnt know its a bad idea and i can lean over after the match and show them...look here...its a bad idea

just tried a newer list for my itouch, it was nearly unimpressive. also updated my itouch with the 3.0 tier list

TheHiveMind

Smash Cadet
Yea I guess. I'm not saying you shouldn't use it if u could, but its not going to be a life saver for any good players

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
Yea I guess. I'm not saying you shouldn't use it if u could, but its not going to be a life saver for any good players
im actually taking an alternative route to putting peoples play style in the itouch and actually learning it pre hand, ive already been doing my research for people coming to MW:E champs this saturday.

However, i am going to put in how i do and what happened in the itouch against certain people, more or less to just critique myself in a small way.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
This deeply saddens me.

I got an iPod Touch for free with my new macbook (student discount. ;D), and I'm still debating whether I should sell it to get some extra cash, or if I should actually use it. This thread isn't helping. >_<

I can see the smash related positives to keeping it... though if I sold it, I'd be able to attend more tourneys. >_<

Btw Sin, why don't you install a better application to your iPod Touch? Something more like Microsoft Excel would be better than the notebook looking thing you've got now.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
Btw Sin, why don't you install a better application to your iPod Touch? Something more like Microsoft Excel would be better than the notebook looking thing you've got now.
im trying out all of the free "list" apps that are out there and ive seen what the excel one does, but its like 6-8$, i mean, once i win these MM's this weekend, and if i win money ill need a new GCC, but i might get it. i have been eyeing it for quite some time

Noa.

Smash Master
I can't get an ipod touch because of the money. That's too expensive for me. Maybe if I had a job I would.

Top Bottom