• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ithrowthings Sonic tutorial Video

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
The combos I listed are basic stuff that only works at like 0 to around 15 %. Maybe 20%. After that you should be relying on side b to dair or jab combo.

Actually, every character in the game will have to rely on canned strings more. And since Sonic's can't be shield grabbed on hit and sets up well for tech chasing, I would say he has one of the better jab combos.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
The combos I listed are basic stuff that only works at like 0 to around 15 %. Maybe 20%. After that you should be relying on side b to dair or jab combo.

Actually, every character in the game will have to rely on canned strings more. And since Sonic's can't be shield grabbed on hit and sets up well for tech chasing, I would say he has one of the better jab combos.
Thanks for dropping knowledge, but Side B to Dair? Only if you're sure as hell that **** is gonna land. It's unsafe as hell. I would rather approach with any other aerial.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I stopped watching when he said the Homing attack was bad xD

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Smashbros, the homing attack IS bad. Incredibly situational, and even then, if they know it's coming, you're going to get owned.

Thanks for dropping knowledge, but Side B to Dair? Only if you're sure as hell that **** is gonna land. It's unsafe as hell. I would rather approach with any other aerial.
Do you have the game, too?

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Before I tell you about some of the other things I've noticed, allow me to make a statement about the tutorial. First off, it was after about 50 hours of sleep deprivation that this video was made. Secondly, these are merely MY first impressions on Sonic's moveset. I do not claim to be a "pro" Sonic player who knows everything about his metagame and whatnot. I am a Sonic fan. The first game I owned was Sonic 2 for the Genesis and have been in love ever since. This video was made on a whim with the purpose of showing people who haven't seen Sonic's full arsenal of moves and some strengths and weaknesses of his attacks.

That having been said, I played the game quite a bit more today. Tried some of the stuff you guys mentioned. Uthrow to utilt doesn't work well from what I've seen. Only got to use it at 0% a couple times but I tried it several times at very low % and it didn't seem to work. As soon as you uthrow, they can just DI to the left or the right and avoid it. I didn't really get a chance to try it more than about 20 times because of the time crunch we were in, so maybe I missed something.

I did notice that At around 50% I did an uthrow on Pit and followed with an uair. This did in fact seem to be a truly unavoidable and devastating combo. Very difficult to pull off successfully however. I also tried chasing them high above the level with up b followed by uair. It successfully killed three people that night, and at low % I might add. But as soon as my opponents saw me get a couple kills with it, they never let themselves fall for it. It seems like it might be able to catch people off guard occasionally, but pretty much as predictable as a falcon punch.

My opinion of his neutral B is the same as always. His recovery is so amazing that you might as well not bother using moves like neutral B and side B as recovery and instead use them to catch your opponent off guard. To the untrained eye dsmash, side B, and down B look like the same attack could try using that to your advantage.

And in response to emblem lord, from my current knowledge, you cannot dash to down smash. I really wish you could and often find myself attempting to dash to dtilt only to be disappointed by Sonic's dash attack. I used to dash to dtilt in melee with a few characters and it was brilliant, but that seems simply impossible to do with Sonic. You also seem to hold his neutral B in rather high esteem. From everything I've experienced, it just doesn't seem to be usable. The opponent can usually just punish me, whether in ground or air anytime I use neutral B.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ok, I'll respond to things you said to me.

The stuff I lsited for combos was just stuff to try at low percents.

But for now I'm think f-throw to fair at low percents.

But anyway, if the homing attack isn't so hot for attacking I still think it's good for recovery.

Also, you can't dash to w/e in Brawl. You have to dash then tap shield and immediately do an action. Thier are less shield drop frames in Brawl so when you drop your shield you can instantly do w/e.

You could also spot dodge to w/e, but that's a bit slower.

I think shield approaching will be vital to Sonic's game so that he can fullt utilize his speed will staying safe when he wants to get in his opponent's face.

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
So Sonic is basically Melee's Captain Falcon without hands and kneecaps? Got it.

Nice video btw, a bit simple but the game's not exactly out for a long time and we know very little about the game in general. Commentary's nice, although the Sonic bashing will get you shanked by Sonic fanboys.

benman

Smash Rookie
Oh my god! it's Andy and Taylor! Good tutorial =]. I wondered what you guys would do with a weekend with brawl.

Skinhoff

Smash Cadet
While I disagree with some of the things you said in the tutorial, it was still very informative and pretty **** good. I'll try and be the "rebel" as you would say. Also, I loved the stuff about the taunts, I'll see if I can actually incorporate it once I get my hands on the game.

Good stuff.

new2nbdy

Smash Cadet
vid was good. The running taunt will make a good mind game fo sure. It drives a lot of people insane.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
basically, everything he said besides the taunt and the homing attk was wrong, and even still the coment about thehoming was partially wrong. due to his need to be unpredictable. going out over the edge and homing attacking for the kill isnt all that bad. and also it could be used for a SICK MINDGAME. seriously i just thought of this while im typing this responce. what you can do is either run right in front of or behind them right inside their attk range(they have to be shielding, looking for the shieldgrab) and since the move automaticaly rises, it will bait them too attack and than get smacked, after that they might be stuned enough to run after and throw in a f-air otherwise its total garbage. and just so you know you can cancel the lag on the d-air by being highenuff in the sky. you can get them to roll into a d-smash. up and d-throws combo bettr than the f-throw IMHO. and springspiking will be the greatest move ever.
once you, and everyone else starts thinking outside the box, and outside melee terms, we can show what sonic's really made of, and that material is NOT low-tierium

fo sho my nyggaz

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
While I hate to agree with anything in the above post and thereby associate myself with da K.I.D., the reference to "What I'm Made Of" was pretty funny.

Unless it wasn't intentional.

PXG

Smash Journeyman
This tut was not informative and poorly done. The tuts from Wifi Wars are much more professionaly done and have more indepth comments, than "Oh, this is crap". I've seen people do some pretty sick combos with Sonic (against fierce competition). Maybe YOU don't quite understand his moves yet. I'll stick with videos made by people who don't jump to conclusions, who aren't biased and have a few more words in their lexicon....

Fox McCl0ud

Smash Apprentice
this video rocked. I learned alot for when I recieved the game. By the way I love the taunt.

Megaman X

Smash Journeyman
Tutorial wasnt FLAT wrong, but the guy obviously plays Sonic a little differently than most people. Spindash is usable, you can use it for a quick 3-hit combo (spindash, jump out of spindash on contact, forward A/UpA(harder)). I strongly disagree with dair being garbage, as it is one of Sonic's ONLY moves where you can be ABSOLUTELY SURE your opponent will get hit. Spring is god. uair is god. usmash is better than he says it is, Fsmash is not quite as good as he makes it out to be unless that new technique changes it significantly (haven't tried it yet). fair is good priority, but pretty sucky damage and knockback, so you probably won't be killing anyone with this move. Kinda agree nair is sorta unpredictable but it has decent knockback so meh. Dash attack is really good for snagging items without leaving yourself vulnerable (Samus armor, wario bike)

Top Bottom