• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Items ruin the game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristan Fattest of All Kids

Smash Journeyman
I think items are pretty pointless when it comes to basic Brawl. A lot of people think that items "make the game more fun," which really makes no sense at all. To you, if you would win because of an item, you would be filled with joy, but your opponent would think "wtf, I had this game!" Smash Balls especially made this game worse and stress the statement of items being cheap. I know you can turn them off, but still...to give so much power to one item is odd at the least. You, yourself must have gotten mad when you have lost to a cheap item (unless you don't play with items.) It's one thing to lose a game without items, but it is just so frustrating to lose a game that you shouldn't have because of items. Playing without items would also give the satisfaction that you won without the need for a luckily placed item.

I don't say that items are totally horrible. I play with items occasionally. Most of the time it is to mess around, and get to know items. Just if you played solely with items, you would be the kind of person wanting to win without skill or effort. If you played with items most of the time, you would be considered a n00b.

6footninja

Smash Ace
It's actually people like you who ruin the game.
QFT

Stupid thread. Let the people play how they want to play. Ranting on what you believe will only get you somewhere if you actually leave it an open topic. You shouldn't define people as "n00bs" just because they don't play the way you do. You sound like a halo fanboy

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace

bingo.

Also, are you saying playing with items in your free time is bad or are you saying playing competitively with items is bad?

Even there comes to be a competitive standard, it will not include all items. Making it more fair than just winning because of a lucky item spawn. Items change the game mechanics slightly, and you will still predominantly rely on skill to win the matches.

GoldA

Smash Rookie
What you don't realize is that when people say it's more fun, it means it makes the game more entertaining, some of the people who play with items don't really care about the outcome, they just want to have a fun game.
Personally I don't really care for items but some of my friends love to play with items just to have some random fun in the battle.

N-Plus

Smash Cadet
ok, ppl who think items ruin the game_ ur overacting and obviously taking the game too seriously. We all know that items are fun, but need to be taken off when determining skill level between players.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
The only thing worse then someone who thinks people playing with should tourney standard is someone who thinks that there are more then five people who actually think this and post about it on COMPETITIVE forums. Seriously, I see one thread, two on a bad day, complaining about lack of items and 3 about all of the complaining. Chill out. We won't use items. My standard is either no items or Golden Hammers, Pokeballs, Assist Trophies, Soccer Balls, Crates, Barrels, Home-Run Bat, Dragoon, and the Smash Ball. All-in-all, either the most broken items or none at all. The point is people all ave different tastes and complaining about that will not change that.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Too many 10-year-olds on this site...

Oh well! no way to stop it:(
It's a good thing you are responded to these comments in a dignified and respectful manner. Now that was blatant sarcasm as you may well have guessed which is frowned upon. However, I'd like to say, had you not spammed, no one would have spammed you for doing so. Any spam following the quoted message does not count as flaming anyone as flaming a flamer is a double negative which shall then cancel themselves out making their posts not spam at all. Good luck and prepare your flame shields. :)

kit

Smash Apprentice
Yea items suck its too bad they didn't make it so you could play with or without them...

but honestly items do make it more fun, instead of just straight fighting you have to take a break from attacking your opponent to go for something else gives you more to do, its a good change up imo

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Yes. Stupid thread is stupid. If you dont like items, dont play with them on. I enjoy an occasional twist.

You obviously dont. Dont come here and complain about it with a stupid thread.

Tristan Fattest of All Kids

Smash Journeyman
Um, people you guys are severely misquoting what I said. I play with items occasionally and say that is okay. But makes someone a n00b is that they play with items all the time and rely on skill-less items to win. Nobody really has any support for their argument against me. You guys should just submit, because you know I'm right.

Ørion

Smash Ace
Items add an element of randomness to the game, which many, including me, find fun. When I'm playing a comptetitive match, i turn them off, put if i'm playing with friends for fun, I'll often have them on. Play how you want, and don't rant about how other people play. This is the creator's intent all over again.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Um, people you guys are severely misquoting what I said. I play with items occasionally and say that is okay. But makes someone a n00b is that they play with items all the time and rely on skill-less items to win. Nobody really has any support for their argument against me. You guys should just submit, because you know I'm right.
It's not like you're supporting your argument at all either. Face it, it's all just opinion.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
First of all, the people who play like that most of the time aren't the highest percentage of people who go onto these forums. Very few anti-competitive people go onto a competitive forum. Maybe five people who actually play that way, will see this thread and zero of them will care. And rightfully so. Hardly anyone truly cares for your opinion, and the ones that do are the people who have also deluded themselves into thinking that the non-competitive players constantly complain. When I had Melee and was one of the people who never even thought of turning off items, I didn't think of going on the internet to complain about the way others play and for several reasons.

A) I didn't know competetive play existed
B) I didn't care about the game enough to google it and find out it existed
C) If I did visit this website and for some reason thought that item play was superior I wouldn't care enough to post a rant about it
D) They would realize that the people here had a different mindset then they did, become disguisted, and leave never to return

The only people who will agree with you, are the people who don't care. The only people who will care, are those who won't win. All those in between, who believe that people should play however they please, will spam you for caring that someone is playing a different way then you. Either way, you lose. Close topic, end story, period, the cake is a lie, 10chars (not really).

Bone64

Smash Cadet
Items make the game for fun and cool. But if you do have a problem with that. Just turn the items off. It's easy.

SullMaster

Smash Cadet
It is people like you that take all the fun out of this game and make you want to quit playing altogether. Let people play the way they want. I love playing with items at times, no matter how broken they are. That's my personal taste, so what? Don't play then without items, period.

Diddy&Dixie4evr

Smash Apprentice
Another opinion of who cares, leave you items off if you want and I will leave my on because who cares about how we play the game, stop it with these useless threads.

Mechanine

Smash Rookie
On a totally unrelated note, I think Mr. Saturn is a really cool item. Can you deny that he adds to the fun? Anyways, please don't "lol nub if you play with items all the time" me or anyone else, because it really is kinda annoying. We all hit smart bombs too, y'know.

mzink*

Smash Ace
dude why do you care about item users so much? so they enjoy usin items whats the big deal? they prolly dont get all pissed and depressed and cry when they lose, theyre just enjoying themselves. just dont play with them

Reyairia

Smash Champion
... :/
I've never been upset at being K.Oed by an item, I just didn't catch it in time and I blame no one but myself.
The only item I particularly dislike is the Dragoon because it makes the brawl just a race to get it for over a longer period of time.

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
I think items are pretty pointless when it comes to basic Brawl. A lot of people think that items "make the game more fun," which really makes no sense at all. To you, if you would win because of an item, you would be filled with joy, but your opponent would think "wtf, I had this game!" Smash Balls especially made this game worse and stress the statement of items being cheap. I know you can turn them off, but still...to give so much power to one item is odd at the least. You, yourself must have gotten mad when you have lost to a cheap item (unless you don't play with items.) It's one thing to lose a game without items, but it is just so frustrating to lose a game that you shouldn't have because of items. Playing without items would also give the satisfaction that you won without the need for a luckily placed item.

I don't say that items are totally horrible. I play with items occasionally. Most of the time it is to mess around, and get to know items. Just if you played solely with items, you would be the kind of person wanting to win without skill or effort. If you played with items most of the time, you would be considered a n00b.
I agree with smash balls, and maybe certain other items occasionally. I also agree that playing with items on high kind of results in too much chaos for a fun match. However, I think items can be fine if they're turned on medium or low and smash balls are turned off. There are lost of ways to counter items. I mean heck, some characters' moves seem to be geared around blocking them. Mario can reflect them with his cape for instance.

Generally I think there are many ways to use them strategically and avoid them strategically, so most of them are fair game.

mzink*

Smash Ace
yea items on high can be a bit much for me, medium is good. if im playin competitively of course i dont want items but when i just feel like kickin back and havin fun doesnt matter to me weather items or on or not.

fortunArcanum

Smash Cadet
To quote the great Luigi: "BINGO! OH HO HO HO!!"
MK64 Luigi>Brawl Luigi

Anyway, does it really matter? If you play without items and stick with neutral stages and I will happily play with Smash Balls and hammers on Rumble Falls, is your gaming experience going to be ruined? If all you can find to do with your spare time is to come on here and tell people what they're doing wrong by playing a game the way they want and befitting the fun they have, I pity you.

PyroJet

Smash Apprentice
Ok, first off all (most) of the people saying items do not ruin the game, look at their join dates compared to the people (somewhat) agreeing with the thread creator. Most of those people saying they don't ruin it, or make it less fun for some people have joined within a month of brawl's release and they just googled brawl to find these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom