• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Items ruin the game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzink*

Smash Ace
Ok, first off all (most) of the people saying items do not ruin the game, look at their join dates compared to the people (somewhat) agreeing with the thread creator. Most of those people saying they don't ruin it, or make it less fun for some people have joined within a month of brawl's release and they just googled brawl to find these forums.
wow youre so clever and observational. most of my competitive melee buddies dont mind a relaxed game with items and do not believe they ruin the game.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Ok, first off all (most) of the people saying items do not ruin the game, look at their join dates compared to the people (somewhat) agreeing with the thread creator. Most of those people saying they don't ruin it, or make it less fun for some people have joined within a month of brawl's release and they just googled brawl to find these forums.
*sigh* So because I just recently made myself an official member means that I don't have knowledge on this topic? How do you know that I haven't been on these forums since 06? Because if you're not catching on, that is exactly the case. Don't be so inferior as to assume you know about a persons experience just by the day they join. You don't have to be a member to read through. The best you can do to comprehend a persons knowledge on a form of communication like this, is to take the information given for what it is. And if you want to be really good at it, you would question them, not conclude that you know everything at the drop of a hat.

boshi2161

Smash Rookie
Clearly your are strictly a competitive player. Perhaps you should fine a new game series, since from now on, Super smash bros releases will be party games like brawl kinda is, as opposed to the competive SSB64 and melee. If you do wunna keep playing this game competitvly, turn of items instead of wasting yourtime making a thread about it.

Diddykongmasta

Smash Cadet
Clearly your are strictly a competitive player. Perhaps you should fine a new game series, since from now on, Super smash bros releases will be party games like brawl kinda is, as opposed to the competive SSB64 and melee. If you do wunna keep playing this game competitvly, turn of items instead of wasting yourtime making a thread about it.
yeah just turn the **** items off and quite your *****en

MoldinMindz

Smash Cadet
I don't see how anyone can have fun playing a game that has a winner determined by luck.
If you won, who cares, you won by luck. If you lost, who cares you lost by luck. Either way it's pointless to play.

People who play smash w/ items really shouldn't feel good about themselves. Go play mario party.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
I don't see how anyone can have fun playing a game that has a winner determined by luck.
If you won, who cares, you won by luck. If you lost, who cares you lost by luck. Either way it's pointless to play.

People who play smash w/ items really shouldn't feel good about themselves. Go play mario party.
So you're the big guy who tries to shut everyone up because of this silly little fight that will surely escalate into a fullfledged competetive vs. casual argument ONCE AGAIN? Yeah, you sure help, buddy. You know, people like you are just making everyone sick. Not because you have an opinion (that isn't even important at this point now, GASP), but because you're trying to start a fight, maybe even purposedly so. Remember kids, always try and think before you post, and that is a lesson for life.

Btw, go back to Items Off :) Good day!

Genghis Krahn

Smash Cadet
I can go either way. You become more familiar with a character with the items off. So when I'm playing on my own I usually keep them off. But the items are a part of the game, and if you're good enough, you shouldn't lose a match completely randomly. I can't think of an item at the moment that is completely unavoidable. But if you're only into competitive tournament play, you obviously won't find any use for items.

Players that rely on items however, are the worst of all.

I have a friend who always plays as Sonic, and just runs around until he gets the Smash Ball, and then gets his kills that way. But after a little while it becomes so predictable and easy to avoid. He has become addicted to Smash Ball to the point that he will jump off the edge of the stage to get the smash ball, only to fall and die before he can use it.

Those moments make me smile.

Tristan Fattest of All Kids

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how most of you actually agree with what I posted.

I said it's okay to play with items for fun.
What makes you a n00b is if you depend on items to win because it would not take skill.

That's my post in a nut-shell. Most of you meanies are deliberately trying to pick a fight by misquoting my post.

mzink*

Smash Ace
eh some people are just tired of seeing a post like this a hundred times, everyone feels like tellin smashboards weather they like items or not. plus your title was "items ruin the game" not "items are good for fun"

distr0ia

Smash Apprentice
I'll admit Melee was great without items, but Brawl is almost like an hollow shell of a game without them. you don't have to use them all, you know; the options for disabling selected items are far more thought-out now (explosive containers and capsules, not to mention party balls can be switched off)

tournaments using limited item lists are being run as we speak. it just might be the future, but we'll see...you'd be surprised at how well a match can flow when only certain items are allowed

it's probably going to take something big (endorsement from a respected professional player/a rule set at a highly sanctioned tournament), but seriously; would you rather have this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj6ZLFjtNVI

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
It's funny how most of you actually agree with what I posted.

What makes you a n00b is if you depend on items to win because it would not take skill.

That's my post in a nut-shell. Most of you meanies are deliberately trying to pick a fight by misquoting my post.
I think it's just that people are reading the title of the thread and posting. Which they **** well should, because your OP goes like this. 'This is my opinion, bittch bittch bittch, I'm absolutely right and everyone else is absolutely wrong, bittch bittch moan.' I hope you weren't expecting to become popular with **** like that.

It's a bit of an exaggeration to say that items make it a party game. Even if you're lucky and get a golden hammer, it's not like you instantly win. You just get an advantage. Skill still factors into the equation. Admittedly, it's a big advantage, and generally unsurmountable by normal means, but it's not like you can't do anything about it. Besides, hammers show up less than Smash Balls. Even with items set to maximum, skill still makes a difference.

Now, I'm not saying that we should turn items on in tournaments. I'm just pointing out that skill still makes a difference in any situation.

And another thing: Anyone who thinks that the competitive standard is the most important one needs their head checked. Sakurai didn't spend time with Smash Balls just so you could ignore them; Items are meant to be used. They introduce a random factor to Brawl, but that was intended.

Or to rephrase it...Brawl was never meant to be a test of pure skill. Tournament players just have to make it that way because money is on the line. And this disrupts the intended balance of the game.

Now that I've stolen the fat kid's focus, let's all argue about ME.

Genghis Krahn

Smash Cadet
What items do you guys feel give a player an unfair advantage? At the moment I can't think of any that are unavoidable, but I'm just wondering which ones tick you off the most, if any.

Do you have any stories of when a match was determined by an item? Or which items do you usually turn off?

Just getting bored reading the same thing said over and over, haha.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I'm too lazy to read all the posts so I'm sure it's been said but here goes. Just turn items off then.

DragonRider-ofSmashBros

Smash Apprentice
Grinnell, IA...... or something like that
Items do not ruin the game. Instead it gives newer brawlers a better chance to take on experience brawlers and for the person in last place to have some sort of hope. Sakurai wanted to bring in new players, so he had to throw in some broken items so newer people would have a good time and have at least a small chance. And like Dragonbreath said, you still need skill to use most, if not all, of the items. When using Hammers you lose double jump and with most Final Smashes you have to be able to target the opponent in a way that they will take as much damage as possible. And all of them can be dodged if you do it at the right time.

Netz0r

Smash Rookie
Tristan said:
That's why items are off during tourneys,m i rite?

Diddykongmasta

Smash Cadet

A ****ing men i agree with you one hundred ****ing percent

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Or to rephrase it...Brawl was never meant to be a test of pure skill. Tournament players just have to make it that way because money is on the line. And this disrupts the intended balance of the game.

Now that I've stolen the fat kid's focus, let's all argue about ME.
I love you to pieces, Dragonbreath, but I have a dissenting opinion:

Sakurai himself said that you can also play the game however you want. Soooooo, developer's original (and supposed) intent aside, Brawl can be played however people wanna play it. Same with every other vidjo game in existence.

However, the OP seriously needs to have his head checked. And when I say "checked," I mean in the way that hockey players slam somebody in the wall. That sort of checked. We play our way, you play YOUR way.

Now, gtfo of my interwebz.

Smooth Criminal

L ryusaki

Smash Apprentice
It's actually people like you who ruin the game.
sry to say this but QFT
Items dont ruin the game they actually enhance the game but if you dont like items thats why they made a items off button but i mean thats anyones opinion to u items ruin the game to me they enhance the game so it can go either way but for tourneys im gonna have to say items off tourneys are for pure fighting not for who can get the smash ball first

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
As much as you most likely won't want to admit or accept, they were all meant to be party games.

Items definitely aren't bad. Once my friends and I played matches with only freezies. It was the most hilarious time ever.

L ryusaki

Smash Apprentice
As much as you most likely won't want to admit or accept, they were all meant to be party games.

Items definitely aren't bad. Once my friends and I played matches with only freezies. It was the most hilarious time ever.

hes got a point they are all supossed to be party games

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion smash balls are pretty cheap. I like playing with items, but smash balls just make it too easy to win a match by getting the final smash and using it. Also, if you play with items on high, bombs will fly everywhere and the match will be filled with too much tumult. So I play with items on low and take off smash balls and the hammers. Lately I've been playing with no items though because most people in the SWF friend finder here prefer that. >.>

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Fat kid got ***** lol.

I usually play without items, but turn them on sometimes for FUN.

I do hate getting killed by a FS. I even feel dirty in FFAs taking 4-5 stocks with Fox's Landmaster each time. =\

Cookiez

Smash Ace
I love playing with items, in fact due to the people I smash with i generally play most of my matches with items on, rather than off yet I still find myself enjoying the game immensley. Considering I have pretty much mastered every tech in a Smash series to date, bar SWDing (which i can do 1 in every two or three times), and won over £100 pounds (~$200) during my smash lifetime, does that make me a noob?

Roy-G-Biv

Smash Journeyman
Go play MLG tournaments,
Their rules say NO ITEMS.
And there are lots of pros.
And when you anticipate a Smash ball, it will not appear.
And you'll learn why Items are there.

Tristan Fattest of All Kids

Smash Journeyman
I guess my title "Items ruin the Game" really isn't justified because I just wanted people to read my post.

Now I realize people will read my title, skip my post, and start acting like ******* *******!
I've told all of you many times that my post is quite different from what you think. Sry about the awkward title.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I guess my title "Items ruin the Game" really isn't justified because I just wanted people to read my post.

Now I realize people will read my title, skip my post, and start acting like ******* *******!
I've told all of you many times that my post is quite different from what you think. Sry about the awkward title.
Well if people are skipping your first post, then they won't read this one either, you know?

But seriously, it's just that no one really agrees with it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom