• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Issue with Brawl+ In Tournaments

Revven

FrankerZ
There's no way model hacking can become mainstream at all. There's too many people who wouldn't know what the **** they are doing, just like they wouldn't know what to do with the Hitbox Property mod. I agree with Dantarion, you guys are looking WAY too much into this, normal people, hell people who had modded Wiis are all NOT THAT SMART especially Brawlers. I mean, you expect Brawlers, BRAWLERS (emphasis on it) to be THIS smart with modding their Wii JUST for one tournament or two? No, there aren't going to be people like that or people like you're describing that go to tournaments...

VietGeek

Smash Hero
no smk

ill prove u wrong

ill make a ryoko asakura model and take all top 8s with her

dont even ask who im gonna apply the model 2 cuz that would ruin my ingenious plot

dont mind the way i type either im obv very intelligent irl cuz 15 yr olds are leik so smart & stuff

its just u older peeps keep undermining us cuz we use aib: the west coast facebook

illinialex24

Smash Hero
In most tournaments I know, I'm gonna try to come up with a counterpoint or slight counter:

1. If you show up first and have a setup, it generally gets used. I had a modded Wii and it became one of the 4 main stations, and it became one of 2-3 used at the end because others had input lag, because I showed up first.

2. Its easy to make a disconcerting texture hack and we aren't gonna load from a channel anyway, so having a TO's SD card fixed both issues. That also fixed model swaps.

3. Brawl is motley collection, you have some people who played Smash 64 competitively, and even if you were young as hell then, your older than almost all of the community. You have people in Brawl tournaments from 13 to like 28, are you telling me a 25 year old who kinda needs 200 dollars tomorrow wouldn't make a quick IOS patch to help him out?

Dantarion

Smash Champion
No offense, but go make an IOS patch that does something in Brawl and get back to us.

Even if someone modifies their wii to give them an advantage, they might not even play on their wii the entire tournament. The idea of cheating by using a modified system isn't confined to Brawl+, and it has yet to be a problem, as far as I know, in ANY game tournament scene.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I'm not a good IOS patcher (or one altogether besides knowing about it lol) but have you heard of Waninkoko? From what I read in his blog, he made a decent backup loader and an IOS patch in 30 minutes, it took him though a few days to iron out all the kinks so he released it in 22 days after working less than half an hour each day on it. Sure, patching something to allow other discs probably isn't a big patch or major one, but still, the point is, good coders could likely make it.

I do know basics on IOS's so yeah, the Wii is probably the easiest to do this on.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
For most tournaments your right, it wouldn't matter at all, but if we have something like large, the payouts enough so if even 1% of people are dishonest, which is very low, your gonna have like 2 people who could do this.

Veril

Frame Savant
Or, we could have someone with a laptop there who downloads an official build at the venue, and has it put on every SD card so it essentially stops cheating. I'm kinda using the same logic that made it an unofficial SBR rule that modded consoles aren't allowed, because there are too many ways you can make almost unnoticeable changes that are very useful.
1. Have the .gct for the codeset and an sd-card reader (if you are running a b+ tourney).
2. Have a few extra sd cards already prepared to lend to anyone with an unmodded wii. You should be prepared to hack a few wiis. I've probably hacked 11 different wiis by now.
-If you want to spread B+, being willing to sell these sd cards at cost is a good move.
3. For the people who do have hacked wiis: replace their .gct with your's, remove the cheat manager application! (you can replace it afterwords).
4. Include this rule: removal/exchange of sd cards from the wii at any point during the tourney is prohibited. The staff should be prepared to handle technical problems, and if an SD card is removed for a legitimate reason, someone running the show needs to be observing.
-anyone caught switching out sd cards or tampering with them in any way is DQed.

For friendlies and such these can be relaxed, but not during the actual tourney.

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
Or, you could just make it a requirement to come with all tourney legal textures already on the SD card, and THEN have the tech staff load up B+ with their codes. After that, have the players put their SD card back in. They won't be able to apply their codes, and textures will still be loaded. Just watch out for snapshotters.

tsunami70875

Smash Journeyman
Or, you could just make it a requirement to come with all tourney legal textures already on the SD card, and THEN have the tech staff load up B+ with their codes. After that, have the players put their SD card back in. They won't be able to apply their codes, and textures will still be loaded. Just watch out for snapshotters.
snapshots won't be a problem
the offical plussery set doesn't have the snapshot code, remember?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Why are we still discussing this?

Load up Console during set up before the tourney with Brawl+ and mark the console. Console that have been marked have been booted by TO and Staff. Console that havnt been marked must be booted by a tourney-approved SD card then marked. Every time a console freezes, get TO and/or staff to reboot and Mark the console again.

As for textures, if they get too visually distracting, the player who is distracted by it can simply invoke the power to remove the SD card for the next match (or get a TO to approve an NC at the start of a match, ie within 30 seconds.) Removing the SD card will remove textures and allow players to play normally and without distractions.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
time to bump this up.

PSA poses a new problem, does it not? even of the TO boots up b+, the other card might have altered .pac files. would this alter the characters then?

if so, does this mean that TOs will have to use that sticker idea from before? it doesn't seem so bad to me, considering how cheap they are. hell, the community texture pack might begin to have more circulated use because of this.

am i off base here?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Ban foriegn SD cards.

Simple.

**** anyone who QQs about custom textures/music. If this is a tourney, visuals and audio should be the LEAST of your worries. Worry about that **** in friendlies and MMs.

If you want to run a smooth tourney, minimize problems as best as you can, and if they still pose a threat, nip the ****er in the bud and completely remove it.

Boot up Brawl with Brawl+ and then ban the allowance of non-TO SD cards. When your tourney match is done, pop in whatever SD card and play your friendlies until a touney match takes priority.

Anyone who is a smart guy and values the tourney validity of Brawl+ and is legit would have no issue with playing tourney matches without textures/custom music.

If you want to be a huge cry baby about textures and music, get your self a USB/HDD and mod textures/music into your ISO and there you go. You're legit, even if your console is SD-cardless during a Brawl+ tourney match.

/win

Sterowent

Smash Ace
****, neko. all over the place.

that's cool then. hah, maybe requests can be made in tourney threads now. specialize tourney SD cards at the TO's leisure? inb4 1000 music/stage requests for FD, and all that.

thought i'd ask this question now rather than later.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
If anything, by gold, WBR should release a Standardized version of Brawl+ specialized for TO purposes and TOs can just pop that onto a blank SD card.

How they manage **** after that is up to them. If they feel like taking 5% of the payout to buy more SD cards to make into Brawl+ TO cards for tourneys, so be it.

I just know that if this **** does become an issue, I'm calling out every mother ****er who tries to pop in their own SD card in a tourney match and will do everything in my power to DQ the *** ****** for trying to jip me.

>:V

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So I heard about this crazy attribute called honor? These aren't Brawl players, these are Brawl+ players. :/ Falco400 basically got it spot on.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Every game has people like that. Brawl+ will be no exception by gold release.

The only thing we wont have is Tier Whores lmao.

I'd rather make the rules now before an occasion arises in which the rules must be made then.

Top Bottom