• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isn't Fox strictly better than Sonic?

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
lol...

fact : the majority of people are idiots

fact : the majority of people bandwagon

Fact : the majority of people think sonic sucks.

Fact the majority of brawl players suck

fact : the majority of brawl players who play sonic, or against sonic dont know ANYTHING about sonic

it all makes sense now.
Sure makes for an accurate critique of Sonic vs Fox. lol

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
everything that can be said is here so i wont bother restating but i will say this:
they are different characters with different strengths and weaknesses
fox is the better character
sonic wins the fight between the two
brawl waveshine is ****

that is all

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Fox definately has more solid approaches than Sonic does, dairs and backdoor nairs are all he really needs as basic approach. Sonic's approach is too heavily reliant on baiting and punishment and he actually doesn't have any true method of approach without being punished himself.
QUOTE]

yeah, uh... no. Sonic is better that Fox in approaching, has more options, and can bait better. with running speed alone.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Fox is a terrible character. Literally one of the worst characters in Brawl.

I think Sonic is slightly better than Fox. Fox is easy to gimp, and his edgeguarding is worse than Sonic's. Fox's approach options are all extremely predictable too. He's bad at camping too, because his blaster camping is almost worthless, and he has worse approach options with which he can use to punish people.

Main advantage Fox has that Sonic doesn't is that Fox is good at scoring KOs, and he has great priority and range on a few attacks. He isn't quite as gimped by projectile camping too. Otherwise he just sucks balls. Sonic has better physics and options to work with (except against projectile campers) and lives a lot longer than Fox.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
differences-
in sonics favor:
-recovery
-damage
-mind games
-gimping
-chasing

Fox
-priority
-ko's
-usmash
-reflector

does that about sum it up?

R4ZE

Smash Ace
u know shadow link i COMPLETELY AGREE but every1 else on ****kin sonic boards seem to think that sonic gets rapped by spam projectiles on FD.... LOL

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Fox is a fastfaller and a lightweight. That's not good at all. That makes him susceptible to the worst true combos and dies at relatively low % with a predictable recovery. His approaches are NOT good at all (Dair...seriously?) and has only 1 reliable and predictable KO move. I think I agree with A2ZOMG in thinking he's one of the worst in the game. The only thing I find going for him is the low KO % of his Usmash.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
WTF?

A2zomg since when in the hell has sonic ever been the type to get projectile camped to death?
I was comparing the two and one of Fox's few redeeming qualities is that you can't really projectile camp against him, while you can more safely do that against Sonic to impede his mobility. Maybe I used poor word choice somewhere?

Fox has absolutely terrible ledgeguarding. He can't jump far from the stage because he's a fastfaller, and his recovery is bad, meaning he also risks getting edgehogged if he tries to jump too far away. Sonic at least can jump a bit farther away and make it back fairly safely, giving him better ledgeguarding.

Oh yeah, and you can 0 to death Fox with some characters or get a free 40% on him by exploiting his physics. That doesn't happen to Sonic.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Fox can kill and edgeguard. Sonic can't do either of those.
Since when did hell freeze over and Sonic cant edgeguard compared to fox...

Last I check Sonic's edgegaurding game rains over Fox's. Fox really only has his shine and the phatasm intercept.
Fox's fast fall kinda makes u fear edgegaurding with him. I rememeber Sonic being very floaty...

Sonic's gimp ability and edgegaurd ability are like his most effective kills, Sonic mainers am I partially right?

plz rethink what u typed

StrongGaia

Smash Rookie
You came into the Sonic boards to insult Sonic and say how much better another character is? That's not very smart, sorry. Everyone else has already pointed out Sonic's pros and Fox's cons, so I'm not going to bother repeating them.

phosphorus

Smash Cadet
Sonic's taunts are roughly 37834784598 times more effective than Fox's.

I think Sonic has more untapped potential than Fox. And Sonic's F-air sheild pokes almost every time someone blocks it.

I can't help but fell like below about G&W or Falco on the "tier list" (quotes because it doesn't exist yet) will largely be decided by how well they do versus everyone G&W and Falco, on up to the top.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Sonic is based off of alot of mindgames and baiting your opponents, Fox can never be baited because he got lasers so that stops sonic from baiting. Now what....now sonic doesn't have a choice but to go hand to hand with fox and fox got a way better inside game than sonic.
lol, the other thread isn't really prompting any sort of discussion. Just one-sided speculation...

...Of course, I can't really deny that this is a mirror of that same thread.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
I think that Sonic is better. Is Spring Jump and homing attack give him too many options.

Tenki

Smash Hero
@Matador: This thread was actually made first.
@Finding Waldo: Homing Attack... not really.

but I lol@718_ROOKI3.

I was thinking of enlightning them on the whole grabby Sonic and gimp'd Fox idea, but whatever. Let them wallow in their ignorance

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I can't even take the Fox boards seriously when they say they've got a big advantage against Sonic lmao.
cso he has lazers adn shooot sonci and gt dmage on sonnki adn eh git rly ded, no?

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I think Fox's lasers suck. They don't even flinch people and the range is pretty bad too. Falco's are so much better. Fox is better than sonic on things like K.O and onstage though. Oh, and gotta love Fox's reflector. Hate him being able to be CGed by so many people though. Once off stage, he's too gimpable.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
every character thinks they have an advantage on sonic because most sonic are terrible. and most of sonic boards seems to think sonic is terrible...

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
every character thinks they have an advantage on sonic because most sonic are terrible. and most of sonic boards seems to think sonic is terrible...
negative, we just admit he isnt hi-tier and will take alot of work in each game to win

punked_25

Smash Cadet
There's a thread like this in the Fox forums just like this, the name is just reversed. Anyways, My thoughts:

Fox and Sonic are both good characters, but when it boils down to it, Fox has the upperhand, but not by much.

Yes, Sonic has got speed over Fox. But Fox's attacks strike faster, and overall I think Fox's attacks have more priority than Sonic's. Fox also falls way faster. I think he still has one of the fastest falling speeds in the game.

Fox can combo like crazy too and it racks up some serious damage. It's delicious. For example, Fox's uptilt lock can rack up 40 damage at least on any character, and that's just one of the many lock-on's/combos Fox has to offer. But at the same time, comboing and approaching can be risky with Fox. As for Sonic, I don't believe he has much combo potential. I've seen several F-airs pulled off one after another, but that's all I've seen. Not much combo potential going for Sonic.

As for recovery, you guys are absolutely right, Sonic does have the better recovery. Regardless though, if you knock Fox off the stage, chances are he's coming back. He's got Fox Illusion, Fire Fox, and he can even shine stall if need be. All can get him to the stage. So...it's not really a big deal.

I'll hand it to Sonic on approach though. Fox's approach are garbage, and Fox players know this, and then that's where blaster comes in handy. Fox's blaster might to appear to be lousy, because it doens't stun your opponent (Like Wolf's and Falco's does), but I believe to Fox players it's nothing more than a tool to make you approach Fox, so us Fox players don't have to risk approaching ourselves. The fact that it gives damage is a great bonus.

Fox can kill early, Sonic can't. Fox's upsmash *****, anywhere past 95 on Sonic, then consider him screwed in the butt, because the upsmash will send him to oblivion. Let alone that if you have atleast 110 damage and if Fox dairs you it'll make you trip and he can just Upsmash you there.

Fox is a lightweight. Lol dunno why. Pikachu is heavier than him FFS. So Sonic does have the weight advantage.

Lastly, I don't really know about Sonic, but a smart Fox that can play excellent mind games with there opponent will be very succesful. Fox has great agility and quickness, putting these together to your advantage definitely has it's benefits. If Fox is predictable, he seems to suffer a lot more than other characters do from it. Whereas Sonic I don't think you have to worry about it that much.

This is all I can think of.

My conclusion: Fox > Sonic, but not by much. Don't get me wrong, Sonic has a lot of potential, but his is only slighty less than Fox's, due to Fox's insane combo'ing, priority, power (aka upsmash) and if used right, quickness.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
lol the Sonic boards are actually more intelligent then the Fox boards.
compare the other thread with this one. The thread's only posts with any trace of intelligence are from Sonic mainers.

Browny

Smash Hater
strike faster, and overall I think Fox's attacks have more priority than Sonic's. Fox also falls way faster. I think he still has one of the fastest falling speeds in the game.
thats not a good thing... 0-death by ZSS, 0-80 by pikachu, 0-alot by sheik, 0-50 by kirby..

hell at least half the cast can either chaingrab or tilt-lock fox up to about 40%.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Fox and Sonic are both good characters, but when it boils down to it, Fox has the upperhand, but not by much.
Both are BAD characters.

Yes, Sonic has got speed over Fox. But Fox's attacks strike faster, and overall I think Fox's attacks have more priority than Sonic's. Fox also falls way faster. I think he still has one of the fastest falling speeds in the game.
Sonic's speed and mobility options make him a lot better at punishing than Fox.

Fox does fall faster, but does this really help him at all? It doesn't make his B-air any easier to hit with or his N-air any less easy to punish, and it also hurt's Fox's recovery a bit.

Fox can combo like crazy too and it racks up some serious damage. It's delicious. For example, Fox's uptilt lock can rack up 40 damage at least on any character, and that's just one of the many lock-on's/combos Fox has to offer. But at the same time, comboing and approaching can be risky with Fox. As for Sonic, I don't believe he has much combo potential. I've seen several F-airs pulled off one after another, but that's all I've seen. Not much combo potential going for Sonic.
But, how does Fox set up a U-tilt chain? =P

Yeah, you MIGHT be able to D-air -> U-tilt if it trips the opponent, but that could also get you shieldgrabbed.

Sonic does have a true 0-40 combo that counts in training mode.

As for recovery, you guys are absolutely right, Sonic does have the better recovery. Regardless though, if you knock Fox off the stage, chances are he's coming back. He's got Fox Illusion, Fire Fox, and he can even shine stall if need be. All can get him to the stage. So...it's not really a big deal.
No, Fox is really easy to edgehog and intercept. The Illusion, which is arguably his best recovery move, is also destroyed by any lingering hitboxes or anything Fox does to make it predictable. If he's forced to recover from under stage, he will not make it back. Ever.

Fox can kill early, Sonic can't. Fox's upsmash *****, anywhere past 95 on Sonic, then consider him screwed in the butt, because the upsmash will send him to oblivion. Let alone that if you have atleast 110 damage and if Fox dairs you it'll make you trip and he can just Upsmash you there.
This alone is Fox's number one best quality. Scoring KOs.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
Both characters are fast, both characters are very light, but Fox does more damage, has more knockback, has better aerials, has a projectile, a reflector, and he can recover as well as Sonic.

What does Sonic have that makes it worth using him over Fox, when Fox does the same thing that Sonic does?
A coolness factor? If you're considering Sonic then I think that you do not care much about tiers anyway.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
On a funny/sickening note :

The Fox boards in their infinite wisdom claim that they have a massive advantage on Sonic (well, 70:30)
Don't worry, their reasoning was good.

Sonic-This fight can be just plain annoying. "Your too slow!". Thankfully, your the 3rd fastest character, so you can somewhat keep up with him. Hes easy to combo and kill. His Dsmash cannot be spotdodged or shieldgrabbed. He has good vertical reovery, keep it in mind. You outprioritize him overall. Take advantage. Besides his speed, all sonic really has is a good bair.

The only point they made was that Fox outprioritizes him, which is true for like every character.
Sonic being easy to combo lololololololololololololololololololololololol

I sorta second Fox. Why do you think I don't really go to their boards for help? xD

Top Bottom