• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Islander Cards & Comics Tournament - ICCT1 - Saturday, June 9th

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Nice. I am not going to bother with the list anymore as the tourney is tomorrow. Too bad that you can't come SideEffect, it was going to be awesome.

Peace.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
And take me off :( guess I'm not going after all the hype

See you guys at the next one. . .MAYBE
Vericz NOOOOOOOOO!!!

How could you succumb to the woman? wow...that's rough, dude...we all feel for you, I'm sure... : p

dguy6789

Smash Lord
I would like to thank everyone for coming. It was quite a successful tourney. I had a ton of fun and it looked like everyone else was having a good time as well.

There were some rough edges though. The heat, space, the bathroom, and some minor bracket errors were some things that didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped. However, I feel that all of this can be fixed for the next tourney. For the next one, I will bring a couple fans and turn the thermostat down. The bathroom should be in working order then.(I had no idea it was broken in the first place) We will have the entire building next time as well, not just the back room, so the space issue should be greatly reduced. The owner even said he would bring in his 50" HDTV for the next one if we wanted. Now that the owner knows how to work the bracket program, I doubt there will be any more bracket errors.

If anyone had any other problems that I did not mention here, be sure to mention it and I guarantee I will work it out.

The next one will be sometime next month. I will be at a tourney in North Carolina for 14th and 15th of July so those days are out. I don't want to do it near a Gigabits either as that could wear some people out having two tourneys back to back. I will probably post the next thread shortly after I learn the date of July's Gigabits.

Shoutouts:

Angry Lobster - What were we doing? We need to work on our team awesomeness. We definitely should have taken that ;)

Vijin and Hazzard - You guys did well in teams. We didn't get to play any matches other than our team tourney matches, but they were pretty intense.

Ted Boosley and crew - Very nice friendlies. You guys are defintely cool to play some matches with. See ya at Gigabits.

Derf - Finally got to play you this time. Your Falcon is insane. Possibly the fastest one I have seen in person.

Exarch - Nice job on singles and doubles. Didn't get to play any matches with you this time, maybe next one. I really want to play against that Roy.

Col Bol - Crazy Fox as always. Didn't get to play any matches with you this time either, but we must get at least one at Gigabits.

Mankosuki - Really good Samus. All of my time playing against RFX and I still can't beat you. Nice job.

Dark Sonic - Your Marth is really good man. Our tourney matches were the closest and most intense ones I had all day. I need to work on avoiding those tippers.

Ecky and his partner(Sorry, I can't seem to recall your handle) - Nice job on teams. You guys beat me and the Lobster somehow. I won't hear the end of it for a month. More wobbling. More knees.

Fenrir - CHUCK NORRIS!!! Good stuff.

Locke - Nice Sheik. Not too bad for your second tourney. Keep coming to tourneys and you will continue to improve.

Raistlin - I hate Jigglypuff more than anything man. Yours is too good. Good matches.

Raycom - Keep working on the Sheik man. You are showing much improvement at every tourney.

Fyrewolf - Keep working on that Samus. Keep watching and playing with really good Samus players like Mankosuki, Rohins, and Phanna.

CrispyOne - Man, you are insanely good for someone who has only been to three tourneys. We need to play more matches at the next one. Are you going to Gigabits?

Good matches overall. For anyone I missed, good games. Good tourney, good stuff.

Peace.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
I don't recall the exact order of everybody, but Col Bol won singles, Exarch was 2nd. I think it was Col Bol's team that won doubles as well but I could be mistaken.

Col Bol

Smash Champion
Doubles:

1st - 2 (Colbol + The Law)
2nd - Girls Gone Bald (Derf + Exarch)
3rd - 9,001 (Fenrir + Manko)
4th - Nightmare (Dark Sonic + Raistlin)

Singles:

1st - Colbol
2nd - Exarch
3rd - The Law
4th - Derf

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Just got home, nice tourney over all. Our team name was 9,001 by the way.

Unfortunately Derf's car broke down on the way home, hopefully things worked out for him. :(

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
I was 5/6 if I'm not mistaken.

Awesome tourney Dguy, can't wait until the next one.

Shoutouts to everyone I played, be it friendly or tournament.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Just got home, nice tourney over all. Our team name was 9,001 by the way.

Unfortunately Derf's car broke down on the way home, hopefully things worked out for him. :(
****, that sucks. Here's to hoping they made it back alright

vericz

Smash Champion
Glad to hear the tourney was a great success :)
Good job guys for adding another spot for smashing to CFL, we may end up with weekly tourneys.
Good job colin, you lucky I wasn't there :p And did OTRU go?

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Shoutouts:

David:Hah, we need to work on our game a LOT. I'm sure we'll do better next time we team :)

Luke:Good job in teams with Bob, that fox is ********!

Bob:Nasty Luigi man, we need to hold more smash nights.

Darrel:Great Link ditto's as usual, those dair ledge guards were stupidly awesome! Thanks for the tips on fighting Marth with Link as well, i'll be sure to implement them :p

Thomas:****, you beat my Falco something nasty at the smashfest on friday. Those "fair" stages just dont seem so fair to me :(

Fred:Awesome friendlies at the smashfest and at the tourney, your CF is too **** good.

Ralph:Like I said at the tourney, your Falco is super clean and precise. It was great teaming with you in friendlies at the smashfest as well.

Austin/Teammate(sorry never caught your name):Good job beating David and I in teams. IC's/CF ftw? :)

Manko:It was cool finally getting to play ya, although I still need some matches with your Samus/Jiggs :)

Colin:****, I haven't gotten ***** that badly in a tourney match in a very long time. Nasty

Kevin:Good to see ya at the tourney, lets get some friendlies in next time.

I'll add more later cause I know i've forgotten some people

derf

Smash Ace
so my car blew a gasket saturday night. got it towed to longwood. next day, took my moms car to mcintosh where a rear tire exploded. we had a spare but no socket wrench (wtf???). so then thomas's dad came and got us. i just got home an hour ago.

crispyone got 4th by the way

Vijin

Smash Ace
Awesome tournament!
GJ to Dguy for having a successful 1st tournament. Hope to have'ema gain in the future. Sorry that we had to go up against you and the Lobster so soon in the 2v2s:p
It was awesome smashing with Derf, Exarch, crispy and Hazard the night before, good matches.
BTW I just heard that you guys couldn't sleep because it was freezing. I apologize for that, Mike likes it to feel like the North Pole for some reason.
The actual Tourney was awesome too. Good friendlies with Col Bol, Jemal, Ted, Kevin (no friendlies but a quick shoutout nonetheless :p ) and some other guys that I can't remember at the top of my head.
Short shout outs for now, maybe more later;p

Raistlin

Smash Lord
I loved the tourny, thanks Dguy for hosting.

However, I just have one suggestion. When teams or singles meet for a second time in a tournament, we have to increase it from a best of 3 to a best of 7. Me and Dark Sonic fought Fenrir and Mankosuki (sp?) twice, and the second time they beat us and knocked us out of the tournament. But in the winners bracket we won 2-0 and in losers they won 2-1. We won more times against them, but they advanced farther :(. I'm not trying to bash them or anything, because we all know they're good, I'm just saying a situation like that is unfair and is easily avoided by jumping to the best of 7 like MLG does.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
We changed our game plan the second time around, simple as that.

That's why there's a loser's bracket, to give you another chance.

ihatethecape

Smash Ace

However, I just have one suggestion. When teams or singles meet for a second time in a tournament, we have to increase it from a best of 3 to a best of 7. Me and Dark Sonic fought Fenrir and Mankosuki (sp?) twice, and the second time they beat us and knocked us out of the tournament. But in the winners bracket we won 2-0 and in losers they won 2-1. We won more times against them, but they advanced farther :(. I'm not trying to bash them or anything, because we all know they're good, I'm just saying a situation like that is unfair and is easily avoided by jumping to the best of 7 like MLG does.
i believe that only applies in losers finals and grand finals, b/c same thing happened to me and skrach a couple of tournies ago.

OTRU...

Smash Champion

Best out of 3 is the best way to go, the fact that you guys beat them more times doesn't matter, it's all about sets not matches, u have got to win SETS in order to advance.

Your suggestion implies that sets will be WAY LONGER!! which isn't viable due to the fact that we don't have enough time for that many matches.

I never knew that MLG did best out of 7, which is pretty odd, but the fact is that time is a very strict variable which has to be taken into account in a very serious manner when running tourneys.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Those are good points guys, and I'm not trying to discredit you at all Mankosuki, but the point of the matter is that we did win more games against you guys. And I know sets are more important OTRU, but keep in mind that we DID win a set. So did they, they just won the second one. If it's decided to keep the current system, that's fine, I'm just saying that the lengthened series would be more fair. In the end it is just a game here or there, though, so I won't mention it again if you all think it's fine.

crispyone

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Dguy for running this tourney. It ran pretty smoothly for it being your first one. Good job.

Shoutouts:

Thanks for housing to vijin, jarlax, etc. (etc. meaning I'm not sure who else lived there).

Vijin: Nice friendlies at the smashfest. Your fox is good. Keep it up. Also, when you're winning, don't say that you're gonna lose because it most likely will happen. Haha reference to our fox-falco match.

Bob hazard: Great luigi. I believe you gimped me about 3 times when I used falco against your luigi, but it's all good.

Angrylobster: Thanks for the compliments. I really appreciate it. I was nervous playing against you in the tourney because your ness is ridiculous. You're so good at djcing into the bair. Also, your funky marth with its forward-b here and there is crazy.

Derf: Thanks man for the ride. Crazy weekend which I'll never forget. Stop reading my techs with your falcon. He's too good. Your sheik ***** my space animals.

Exarch: Thanks for the compliments on my falco here and there. I guess it's nice that a peach player doesn't hate my falco haha. Good times with derf and you broken down everywhere.

Colbol: Thanks for the friendlies. Your fox is too technical and too good.

Fenrir and Mankosuki: Thanks guys for helping us out that night after the tourney. It was a very nice gesture. Also, thanks manko for the friendlies. I don't get enough samus practice. Fenrir, I need to play some friendlies with you.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
After looking into things, I have decided not to have a tourney in July. This is simply because there are too many tourneys going on. We have Ltec 2 in the beginning of July, I will be in North Carolina for the middle of July, and then Gigabits at the end of it. I don't plan on hosting a tourney that would interfere with any other one.

The next Islander tournament will happen at a convenient time in August.

Peace.

ihatethecape

Smash Ace
Those are good points guys, and I'm not trying to discredit you at all Mankosuki, but the point of the matter is that we did win more games against you guys. And I know sets are more important OTRU, but keep in mind that we DID win a set. So did they, they just won the second one. If it's decided to keep the current system, that's fine, I'm just saying that the lengthened series would be more fair. In the end it is just a game here or there, though, so I won't mention it again if you all think it's fine.
its the ways its been for the longest time. only time mlg did that was when their was open and championship brackets.

Top Bottom