• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I am still surprised :)

Pleasantly so! We need more Isaac "swag"! :troll:

Oh, of course, but I mean a concerted effort on social meda. Shulk fans had Monado Monday, K. Rool fans have the Kremling Kampaign - do we have anything cool and snazzy like that?
Well....

We did have Operation Sunrise for a GS4 after one of the Takahashi brothers said they will make GS4 if there was enough demand for it but it sorta stopped.

Hmm, let's make one if we don't have one!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Here's hoping they don't scrap these latest things due to it getting leaked again... Anyway, I at least look forward to playing as Isaac in Project M. I just need to go and get a 2 GB SD card to store Project M on it.

Staarih

Smash Master
Ohh, Isaac in Project M is really interesting. I've never gotten into Project M as I can't download it (apparently you need to have non-PAL everything), so all I can hope for is to Isaac get into an actual Smash game haha!

By the way, it really irritates me how many people assume Dark Dawn is the end of Golden Sun. Because of "bad sales and bad reviews". Neither of which are true if people would just do their research.
After I'm done with The Lost Age on the Wii U (playing it right now actually haha) I'm definitely going to hunt down Dark Dawn and give it a try.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ohh, Isaac in Project M is really interesting. I've never gotten into Project M as I can't download it (apparently you need to have non-PAL everything), so all I can hope for is to Isaac get into an actual Smash game haha!

By the way, it really irritates me how many people assume Dark Dawn is the end of Golden Sun. Because of "bad sales and bad reviews". Neither of which are true if people would just do their research.
After I'm done with The Lost Age on the Wii U (playing it right now actually haha) I'm definitely going to hunt down Dark Dawn and give it a try.
Bad sales is questionable. We don't know the sales at all, unfortunately. Japan alone sold 80k, though, so I'd guess it made at least 400k total. Which isn't GOOD, but its not like its a total flop either.

"Bad Reviews" is blatantly wrong, though. They just repeat the same narrative.

Surprisingly, we've actually got Dark Dawn. I just found out this week my wife actually has it. I thought she got a Golden Sun game, but I thought it was actually the first. I'm definitely going to download GS1/2 later, though. From Virtual Console, of course. :D

CheckmateChuck

Smash Journeyman

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/35078/golden-sun-dark-dawn/
While I don't know about the credibility of this site, it does have some reasonable numbers.
I'd say it gives us a good estimate, but we can't take it for granted. The known confirmed sales numbers for Japan were 80k by 2012. VGChartz gives 1.3k by 2012, so obviously it gives much higher numbers. Dark Dawn probably sold around 500k total. Which is still pretty good, it probably did make a profit, but it wasn't "great" like the first two.

However, I don't like to say "it probably sold around 500k," because that's NOT confirmed. Unfortunately, we'll never get exact numbers.

(Notably, Metroid: Other M sold about 500k as well.)

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/35078/golden-sun-dark-dawn/
While I don't know about the credibility of this site, it does have some reasonable numbers.
Nope not credible. Someone said that they fabricate some numbers (I have to find that link) and most of their numbers are too high till the publishing company releases actual numbers.

Oh found the link:

It is from 2008 but should still apply now to some degree
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...hartz_Does_And_Doesnt_Do_For_The_Game_Biz.php

There will be soon a PAL update as well! The first PAL Project M so there is good news for you :)

Exactly. Just because it had bad sales doesn't mean it was the end. Seriously even the title says "Dawn"!!! Plus there is a huge cliffhanger at the end and the game creates more puzzles than it solves. Plot wise.

I was actually playing it an hour ago as well (although I am at the absolute end and just getting my party to level 99)!

Not on the VC though. I have to get it when I get the Wii U plus when it comes out in the US.

You can easily hunt DD down. It is available on Amazon for real cheap! Kinda because of bad sales though.

Last edited:

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
There will be soon a PAL update as well! The first PAL Project M so there is good news for you :)
Finally and Isaac will be in it, so that's awesome, I'm wondering what his Final Smash will be.

As for Isaac's sword, it looks really similar to Storm Brand DD model, the only difference is the colour. It is also pretty similar to Shamshir, but the hilt is different.

I'm not sure if Project M had it before, but now it also features Subspace Emissary, so it would be cool if they could include Isaac in the main story.

CheckmateChuck

Smash Journeyman
Was there any word on Isaac being included by the time of the PAL PM release? I would be surprised if they're actually going to include any new character up until the next big update.

Last edited:

Apollyon

Smash Apprentice
So, the current state of affairs is that in Project M, Isaac is going to be a new character. You would think with that, the Smash community has made its voice heard regarding who we want as newcomer DLC/Add-on first.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
While Isaac being in PM is beyond awesome, I assume he won't be ready for a while yet.

Apparently work on him is still really preliminary. Lyn and Knux are much closer to being done.

But supposedly, and I don't know if this has been posted here yet, the Venus Lighthouse stage is also being included in 4.0 (replacing Norfair), so that's cool. I hope they touch it up a bit though.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Isaac in Project M, Isaac in Super Smash Flash 2, now all we need is Isaac to be in Super Smash Bros. 4 so that this can be Isaac's Smash generation.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else think the sword is a bit of an odd choice? I mean it definitely sets Isaac apart from other characters with swords, but... it seems a bit random. It's not one of the ones actually associated closely with Isaac, is it?

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Anyone else think the sword is a bit of an odd choice? I mean it definitely sets Isaac apart from other characters with swords, but... it seems a bit random. It's not one of the ones actually associated closely with Isaac, is it?
I agree with you on that, it would have been better if they used Gaia Blade, Sol Blade or Excalibur which are the most associated weapons to Isaac, Shamshir (assuming it is) tends to be forgotten, due to its lacking Unleash and power.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
See, the thing is, Isaac doesn't have a sword really "associated" with him because swords don't matter that much for Isaac. Isaac's main thing is Psynergy. They probably picked a sword to differentiate Isaac from the other characters. I'd definitely say that Gaia/Sol Blade would definitely be the better picks for Isaac, though.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I agree with you on that, it would have been better if they used Gaia Blade, Sol Blade or Excalibur which are the most associated weapons to Isaac, Shamshir (assuming it is) tends to be forgotten, due to its lacking Unleash and power.
It is not exactly similar to any swords (colour) and it is too broad to be a Shamshir. There are only a handful of swords in the game which are curved at the end (listed 'em in some previous post) but it doesn't completely resemble any of them. I think you are right though with the sword resembling a fusion of the Storm Brand (blade) and Shamshir (hilt) without the coloured blade.

But none of them are closely associated with Isaac.

And Shamshir does have an unleash. It is the Acid Bath move which is Mars based and can lower enemy attack. Still not iconic though.

After DD, Sol Blade has to be easily the most identifiable sword of the game and should be with Isaac. The Gaia Blade is also an option because that was his ultimate in the first Golden Sun. Sadly, due to low forging rate of Excalibur, many people don't even learn of its existence.

@ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman
Psynergy is his forte but I would have loved to unleash Meggido in there!

#GoldenSunday
That is the most awesome name for a Golden Sun movement and so obvious!!! Can't believe we missed that when it was right in front of us!

Well Isaac might not be in the latest Project M update but he will come eventually so it will be an amazing thing to have! Seriously Nintendo, you can see Isaac's popularity, why not include him in Smash 4 as well!

Smash Flash, Project M and Smash 4! Isaac will become a Smash-ing hit!

P.S. Hey guys, is my latest Isaac avatar (I want a GS anime!!!) better than the last? Just wanted to ask. The last one was a tad too small.

Last edited:

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
And Shamshir does have an unleash. It is the Acid Bath move which is Mars based and can lower enemy attack. Still not iconic though.
When I said lacking unleash, I was talking about it's power and animation (Acid Bath was nothing special to me, nor was it powerful, it is easily forgettable, unlike Gaia Blade, Legend or Meggido, unfair comparation).

P.S. Hey guys, is my latest Isaac avatar (I want a GS anime!!!) better than the last? Just wanted to ask. The last one was a tad too small.
I like it, also, your last avatar is my actual desktop background.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
See, the thing is, Isaac doesn't have a sword really "associated" with him because swords don't matter that much for Isaac. Isaac's main thing is Psynergy. They probably picked a sword to differentiate Isaac from the other characters. I'd definitely say that Gaia/Sol Blade would definitely be the better picks for Isaac, though.
Well, not swords that are associated with Isaac as much as just those that first come to mind when you think of GS or Isaac, but yeah, I'm of pretty much the same opinion.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Isaac is part of Golden Sun, the biggest series besides the main ones, that does not have a playable character in the game.

Having Isaac would round out the group of the Year 2000 Nintendo characters like this:

:4isaac: :4bowserjr::4olimar::4villager::4villagerf::4tlink: <------ Having Isaac would fill out this group very nicely.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
When I said lacking unleash, I was talking about it's power and animation (Acid Bath was nothing special to me, nor was it powerful, it is easily forgettable, unlike Gaia Blade, Legend or Meggido, unfair comparation).
Yea Acid Bath is just a stepping stone. That is why I said it is not at all iconic.

I like it, also, your last avatar is my actual desktop background.
Haha, that is my lock screen :) Great minds think alike!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Few thoughts.

I am all for #GoldenSunday; it also keeps the name in mind for those who may not know the series and definitely should.
@ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman I had no idea you were married
Fantastic that Isaac is finally almost ready for Project M; I still cannot believe he was put at a lower priority than KNUCKLES and LYN, and wonder who he is a clone of for that engine, but I eagerly await his play.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't be surprised if Lyn and Knuckles were done before Isaac because they wanted to start with characters that really didn't have much if any chance for Smash 4.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Oh Isaac fot Prject M looks awsome ! But if i read well European cannot have the game xD But how does it work? You have to hack your wii or something like this?

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Oh Isaac fot Prject M looks awsome ! But if i read well European cannot have the game xD But how does it work? You have to hack your wii or something like this?
I think they are going to release their first PAL version and as for the installment, this video might help you:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Few thoughts.

I am all for #GoldenSunday; it also keeps the name in mind for those who may not know the series and definitely should.
@ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman I had no idea you were married
Fantastic that Isaac is finally almost ready for Project M; I still cannot believe he was put at a lower priority than KNUCKLES and LYN, and wonder who he is a clone of for that engine, but I eagerly await his play.
I'm 24 and married, yeah. We married rather young.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lyn and Knuckles were done before Isaac because they wanted to start with characters that really didn't have much if any chance for Smash 4.
I think its moreso that Isaac needs a far more original moveset. That said, here's the thing. If Isaac is announced as Smash 4 DLC by February, I think they WILL cancel the Isaac Project M mod. I highly doubt they'll be anywhere close to finishing him by February. In fact, Lyn/Knuckles will likely be barely finished by that point.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Isaac is a different story, and will need a more original moveset, but that would effect how long his development would take, not when it would start.

And I guess how to handle Isaac after DLC would be up to PM, but even if a huge amount of progress hasn't been made on Isaac I would still keep developing him instead of going back to the drawing board and starting all over. And that's not even due to bias, I just wouldn't want to cause any more delays for this stuff or keep stringing everyone along.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
It would be best if Project M team finishes up with Isaac before Smash DLC! So then we can have Isaac in Smash 4 as well as PM. PM team wouldn't have to worry about launching Isaac after he gets announced as well. As you two said, it is probably Isaac's awesome and unique moveset making him take time to develop.

If it was me, I would keep developing if I have progressed far enough. I would probably progress without the much progress as well. Yes, that is my supreme Isaac bias talking :p

After all we can then have Isaac in 3 Smash games, 1 official and 2 amazing fanmade games!

Better than getting best of both worlds is getting the best of 3 worlds :chuckle:

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I think the whole DLC thing kinda screwed over the PM team given they can't (or don't want to avoid troubles, I don't recall the details well) add newcomers from Smash 4, so until we know how much further Nintendo will go with it, I doubt we'll see Isaac ready. It's also a shame they leaked this as I heard before they canned a planned playable character because of it, and it'd be pretty disappointing if the same happened this time. Ah well, on the brighter side, if Isaac is DLC, I can play him in an awesome new Smash, if not, I can at least play at him in a pretty good mod (alongside Lyn that has been disconfirmed for a while and Knuckles, which was always kind of a pipe dream for me due to nostalgia, although I admit there could have been better choices made than him)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think the whole DLC thing kinda screwed over the PM team given they can't (or don't want to avoid troubles, I don't recall the details well) add newcomers from Smash 4, so until we know how much further Nintendo will go with it, I doubt we'll see Isaac ready. It's also a shame they leaked this as I heard before they canned a planned playable character because of it, and it'd be pretty disappointing if the same happened this time. Ah well, on the brighter side, if Isaac is DLC, I can play him in an awesome new Smash, if not, I can at least play at him in a pretty good mod (alongside Lyn that has been disconfirmed for a while and Knuckles, which was always kind of a pipe dream for me due to nostalgia, although I admit there could have been better choices made than him)
Actually, the Project M team, and others voting on Project M, believe that Isaac has no chance at all for being a DLC character. In the Project M character voting I mentioned that, and I got a ton of replies saying "there's NO WAY Isaac will be DLC in Smash 4." So, yeah, Isaac getting announced as DLC would really screw around with their plans.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Actually, the Project M team, and others voting on Project M, believe that Isaac has no chance at all for being a DLC character. In the Project M character voting I mentioned that, and I got a ton of replies saying "there's NO WAY Isaac will be DLC in Smash 4." So, yeah, Isaac getting announced as DLC would really screw around with their plans.
Wow!

That is a lot of people who think Isaac doesn't have a chance.

Why do people always look over our Golden boy? Even Nintendo.... >.< (so far)

I still have hope! We will see Isaac in Smash 4 as playable DLC and if we are lucky in Project M as well! We already have him in Smash Flash 2 :chuckle:

D

Deleted member

The fact that people are much more doubtful of Isaac's chances outside of this thread is what I think should be taken more into consideration when looking at his popularity/likelihood. It is an unfortunate reflection of the community as a whole, and a reminder that we're still a bit of a minority even in the Smash community. I love Isaac as much as the next guy, and he's my current #1 most wanted, but if he were super likely, I feel his series would be in a better place right now, rather than struggling to get 2 songs in the base game, and I think that's how a lot of other people are feeling as well. It's not absolutely damning for his chances, so I'm not saying we should all just lose hope, I'm just saying it's perfectly reasonable cause for doubt. We just live in a little Isaac fandom bubble here, which makes it much harder to see in that way. But then I've argued all of this before, to little effect. Just want to stress that I'm not trying to be a bummer, just taking in the state of affairs on the whole and trying to be realistic about it.

Besides, what fun is a discussion forum where everybody just agrees with each other all day? Gotta have someone play devil's advocate, might as well be me :p *prepares for waves of disagreement*
Most people around here whose characters have yet to become playable do live in their own bubbles. But, it's not as if we are the kind who just gladhandedly discuss Isaac with optimism. However, to some of us, it does feel that way when a character like Isaac is discussed, only to be shrugged off because people aren't as educated on the character or the franchise.

And, some of the diehards, including me, have played devil's advocate. It's not just a BluePikmin11 thang.

Wow!
That is a lot of people who think Isaac doesn't have a chance.
Why do people always look over our Golden boy? Even Nintendo.... >.< (so far)
I still have hope! We will see Isaac in Smash 4 as playable DLC and if we are lucky in Project M as well! We already have him in Smash Flash 2 :chuckle:
Unfortunately, lack of knowledge. And, we are in a rather strange predictament. Golden Sun is too big to be obscure, too small to be major, too young to be retro, and too well-known to be niche. It's awful hard to decide the placement of the franchise in the Nintendo fandom heirarchy.

But, at least they were warm on the idea of Isaac, who is a more solid and original choice than Knuckles, who was chosen mostly out of convinence.

I still have a good feeling about Smash Bros. DLC, but once again, it's a waiting game. Not like that's anything new; we've been doing that for well over a decade overall and nearly 2 years with this installment.

Top Bottom