• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Oi, simmer down ya buncha chavs! Something tells me this won't all be considered "on-topic" :p

Unfortunately, even if Isaac is in, I wouldn't consider him super likely at E3, but I guess that also depends on how many characters Sakurai plans to reveal? We might just get a few, or we might get a huge blowout, who knows.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Yeah, if there is only one newcomer reveal during E3, I seriously doubt it will be Isaac--which is why I am hoping they will reveal multiple newcomers and veterans.

That being said, something tells me the Direct will not discuss Smash 4 too much. If nothing else, I hope they will at least provide an exact release date for the 3DS version.

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
Robin being revealed as a character could actually help Isaac, because his reveal would instantly disconfirm the Gematsu leak, which is currently Isaac's biggest hurdle.

Kycse

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nin-Kycse
Robin being revealed as a character could actually help Isaac, because his reveal would instantly disconfirm the Gematsu leak, which is currently Isaac's biggest hurdle.
If a reveal of a character not on the list is all it takes to deconfirm the list then wouldn't it already be deconfirmed by Rosalina? i dont particularly believe that list although wii fit trainer was a spectacular guess, so I believe Isaacs biggest threat is development time]

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
If a reveal of a character not on the list is all it takes to deconfirm the list then wouldn't it already be deconfirmed by Rosalina? i dont particularly believe that list although wii fit trainer was a spectacular guess, so I believe Isaacs biggest threat is development time]
Considering Rosalina came before the more recent Gematsu leak, no, she really doesn't deconfirm it. It's different now since the two leaks combined claim 11 newcomers will be in alongside Rosalina, which looks like a complete newcomer list. Missing another character at that point would look quite a bit worse, so E3's going to be a major proving point, especially if there are multiple newcomers revealed.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
I would honestly like seeing Isaac in both young and old form. I mean, alternate costumes are a thing, after all.
Sakurai has said that those only work if the characters are relatively the same height though, so they can keep the same hitboxes and etc.

Yes, revealing Robin would help Isaac a lot.

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
You missed my point. Robin and Chrom (chrob) can't both be playable, so if either one is chromfirmed, the other won't.

Yes, revealing Robin would help Isaac a lot.
o u

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Oi, simmer down ya buncha chavs! Something tells me this won't all be considered "on-topic" :p

Unfortunately, even if Isaac is in, I wouldn't consider him super likely at E3, but I guess that also depends on how many characters Sakurai plans to reveal? We might just get a few, or we might get a huge blowout, who knows.
Considering this is Sakurai I wouldn't count anything out. Given the belief that Pacman, Miis and Palutena are likely to make an appearance at E3 they'll have their work cut out surprising us.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You missed my point. Robin and Chrom (chrob) can't both be playable, so if either one is chromfirmed, the other won't.

o u
Not necessarily, but HIGHLY likely. Almost everyone expects Chrom. Not seeing Chrom announced will deal a major blow to the leak. It won't disconfirm it unless Chrom is confirmed to be unplayable, though.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Cue smash icon slash, except a blue aura shines from the cross section. Through a blue haze and with muddled sound, we see glimpses of a blond-haired figure with a beam sword running through a field only to be flung by a rocky crag erupting beneath him. The vision rewinds, and we see the swordsman feint left this time, and suddenly being whipped by a thick vine. Rewinding again, the swordsman jumps over the erupting rock this time, and lands safely before his foe. The blue aura dissipates and we are finally get a good look at our battler. "Shulk changes his fate!" He smirks and takes off across the field once again and successfully leaps over the rocky pyre and slashes the vine coming at him in two. He rests the Monado upon his shoulder and raises an eyebrow at his opponent challengingly. The camera pans around to show the other combatant. "Isaac shakes things up!" As he draws his sword with a grin, an earthquaking ripple runs before him as he charges. Shulk leaps into the air and spins, and just as his sword is about to clash against Isaac's... Gameplay footage!

With all the back and for on the two, and the fact that I would enjoy either/both of them, I thought that a joint reveal trailer would be amazing.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
From a competitive standpoint, yeah. From a casual one, not really. All I really care about is whether Isaac is in or not.
No, I mean, would you care if older Isaac had the same hitboxes as young Isaac? They could just keep him the same height and buff him up a bit for his older appearance.

I mean, he would represent all of the series that way, come to think of it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No, I mean, would you care if older Isaac had the same hitboxes as young Isaac? They could just keep him the same height and buff him up a bit for his older appearance.

In my opinion that's the best way to do it. Isaac keeps the same height but he has both buffer/bearded form and younger/no beard.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy

In my opinion that's the best way to do it. Isaac keeps the same height but he has both buffer/bearded form and younger/no beard.
Oh, yeah. That's fine.

cocy965

Smash Rookie
Apparently a user called @APC99 hinted at one more AT making it to playable status? I lurk occasionally on the leak thread and this thread and have no clue if he's credible, but I want Isaac in sm4sh so badly that I thought it deserves mention haha

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Apparently a user called @APC99 hinted at one more AT making it to playable status? I lurk occasionally on the leak thread and this thread and have no clue if he's credible, but I want Isaac in sm4sh so badly that I thought it deserves mention haha
APC99 isn't a leaker. He was just the thread owner.

Most likely, he was repeating what someone else said. However, there are no credible leaks hinting towards Isaac, unfortunately.

Last edited:

cocy965

Smash Rookie
Oh, lame, as I said I just kinda skim for tidbits, but sadly there's no reliable information anywhere :/
Well, back to the lurk-cave!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Oh, lame, as I said I just kinda skim for tidbits, but sadly there's no reliable information anywhere :/
Well, back to the lurk-cave!
I don't know what it is but I have this feeling that an assist trophy will be upgraded and it sure as HELL wont be Saki.
So as long as it's not Tingle it's safe to say he will be the one that gets upgraded.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't know what it is but I have this feeling that an assist trophy will be upgraded and it sure as HELL wont be Saki.
So as long as it's not Tingle it's safe to say he will be the one that gets upgraded.
You know we've already got an Assist Trophy promoted to playable, right? That said I fully expect a second, and the only logical choice is Isaac. The only other one I can think of is Ray.

Tingle's AT is probably dead. :p

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
You know we've already got an Assist Trophy promoted to playable, right? That said I fully expect a second, and the only logical choice is Isaac. The only other one I can think of is Ray.

Zero Suit Tingle for Smash, amirite?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Of course I knew Little Mac got upgraded I thought that was obvious though.
But on another note right now I'm gonna say that Isaac's only competition is Ray.
No, not Shulk either.
Just Ray...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Of course I knew Little Mac got upgraded I thought that was obvious though.
But on another note right now I'm gonna say that Isaac's only competition is Ray.
No, not Shulk either.
Just Ray...
Well, you said "that an Assist Trophy WOULD" get upgraded, but we already got one. It'd have made more sense if you said "another" AT.

And I agree, I don't think Shulk is much competition for Isaac. And Ray? Well, Isaac is a lot more requested and Custom Robo's last game was 2007, Golden Sun's last game was 2010... I dunno. I think its possible Ray could get in, but I don't think its that likely.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, you said "that an Assist Trophy WOULD" get upgraded, but we already got one. It'd have made more sense if you said "another" AT.

And I agree, I don't think Shulk is much competition for Isaac. And Ray? Well, Isaac is a lot more requested and Custom Robo's last game was 2007, Golden Sun's last game was 2010... I dunno. I think its possible Ray could get in, but I don't think its that likely.
I also didn't mean to offend you if I did. haha
But on the topic of competition is there really even competition.
Does Shulk getting in automatically rule out Isaac or the other way around?
I'm asking, not only yours, but also, the threads opinion on this topic as I've noticed that the last few pages on these threads have been the competition against Shulk while if I look at K. Rool's or Ridley's or Takamaru's or Mach Rider's threads they don't even speak of competition so why is it so commonly spoken of in this thread?
Sorry if this is a little off topic I just wanted to speak my mind on this subject.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm asking, not only yours, but also, the threads opinion on this topic as I've noticed that the last few pages on these threads have been the competition against Shulk while if I look at K. Rool's or Ridley's or Takamaru's or Mach Rider's threads they don't even speak of competition so why is it so commonly spoken of in this thread?
Sorry if this is a little off topic I just wanted to speak my mind on this subject.
Nope, not sure why anyone would think that. Frankly I think Isaac has a slight edge on Shulk, but I anticipate them both getting in.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
I guess it's because people think one blonde JRPG character is enough.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I guess it's because people think one blonde JRPG character is enough.
If that was the case we wouldn't have two blue-haired sword users from the same franchise. Isaac and Shulk would be significantly different enough, so its not a big deal at all. I'd like to see them both really. They're both JRPG's, both characters use a sword as their main weapon, and they both have blonde hair. And that's where the similarities stop. Neither of the two games even play anything alike.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
It's a bit more complicated than "they look kinda similar", or even that they're both JRPGs (though that's a strong part of it). They appeal to similar demographics, they're both niche franchises, they're both franchises that would be new to Smash, and, frankly, there just isn't that much space left for newcomers for both to realistically get in. There's enough between them that, push comes to shove, it's easy to see why one might preclude the other despite it not really being a fair comparison. At least, that's how I've always perceived it.

I'm not entirely sure why this thread historically focuses more on competition than most. I guess it's that Isaac's in a spot where he's considered a strong candidate for inclusion but not strong enough to be a shoe-in, which lends itself to worrying about what might keep him from making it. That leads to looking for what competition he might have, and given little to no significant competition from within his franchise, fans start looking at other franchises with similar traits. Shulk just happens to be the most obvious (and most popular) candidate, therefore he becomes the target.

(As for the analogy to Fire Emblem, it's a bit of a false comparison: FE's snuck in way back in Melee, has had two character slots in both Smash games its appeared in, and has become so popular among fans that it might even deserve more representation. That the most popular FE characters are all blue-haired swordsmen is just a fact of the franchise. Meanwhile, neither Golden Sun or Xenoblade have ever had playable Smash characters, so they're simply fighting to get their foot in the door while FE's spots were practically guaranteed from the get-go.)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Zero Suit Tingle for Smash, amirite?
No.

I'm not entirely sure why this thread historically focuses more on competition than most. I guess it's that Isaac's in a spot where he's considered a strong candidate for inclusion but not strong enough to be a shoe-in, which lends itself to worrying about what might keep him from making it. That leads to looking for what competition he might have, and given little to no significant competition from within his franchise, fans start looking at other franchises with similar traits. Shulk just happens to be the most obvious (and most popular) candidate, therefore he becomes the target.
Pretty much this.

Also here is some more fan-art.

Last edited:

Arteen

Smash Lord
I see Isaac's biggest competition as Sakurai. While he is quite talented and imaginative (e.g. Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina), I don't agree with a lot of his roster decisions. He ends up adding a lot of characters that feel redundant, rather than expanding the roster to encompass more Nintendo franchises.

I look at the spots for Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus and Sheik and those characters feel unnecessary, especially since transformations are out. That could be Isaac, Sami and Shulk instead, for a far more exciting roster. Or even just (unique moveset) Toon Link, (actually a separate character) Dark Samus and (why the heck wasn't it) Impa.

Ideally Isaac's merits would be so obvious that we wouldn't even be having this discussion, but ultimately it all comes down to Sakurai.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
I see Isaac's biggest competition as Sakurai. While he is quite talented and imaginative (e.g. Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina), I don't agree with a lot of his roster decisions. He ends up adding a lot of characters that feel redundant, rather than expanding the roster to encompass more Nintendo franchises.

I look at the spots for Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus and Sheik and those characters feel unnecessary, especially since transformations are out. That could be Isaac, Sami and Shulk instead, for a far more exciting roster. Or even just (unique moveset) Toon Link, (actually a separate character) Dark Samus and (why the heck wasn't it) Impa.

Ideally Isaac's merits would be so obvious that we wouldn't even be having this discussion, but ultimately it all comes down to Sakurai.
Well. Previously in this same thread, Toon Link was questioned... I didnt had enough time to respond to that, but im going to do it right now. Toon Link is really important and is worthy inclussion to SSB, after all... Toon Link represents a bigger portion of The Legend of Zelda franchise, more than any of the other The Legend of Zelda characters playable. I dont feel Zero Suit Samus innecessary, specially considering the current situation of Metroid... They are probably not going to get Ridley or Dark Samus or any Metroid character. And Metroid clearly deserves more than just one rep... About Sheik, well... currently, last designs of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf represent Twilight Princess, Sheik although not using the Ocarina of Time design, she is the only thing representing that game. And also it added a character that plays differently and no... Replacing Sheik, a character that had created a legacy inside the ssb comunity for Impa, is really dumb. As much as i like Isaac, i respect any character inclusion.

Arteen

Smash Lord
As I said in my post, Toon Link should at least have a unique moveset if he's going to be on the roster. Why not give him the deku leaf, skull hammer or grappling hook? With Sheik, there's no reason not to replace her with Impa, a character who has a legacy across eight Zelda games including Ocarina of Time. She could even use the same moveset.

And the Zero Suit is the worst part of every Metroid game it appears in.

Sakurai's bringing back a bunch of veterans that I feel aren't adding much to the roster, so I have my doubts that the remaining newcomers are going to be as broadly representative as we saw from the first few.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
As I said in my post, Toon Link should at least have a unique moveset if he's going to be on the roster. Why not give him the deku leaf, skull hammer or grappling hook? With Sheik, there's no reason not to replace her with Impa, a character who has a legacy across eight Zelda games including Ocarina of Time. She could even use the same moveset.

And the Zero Suit is the worst part of every Metroid game it appears in.

Sakurai's bringing back a bunch of veterans that I feel aren't adding much to the roster, so I have my doubts that the remaining newcomers are going to be as broadly representative as we saw from the first few.
The grappling hook should definitely be Toon Link's new grab--if nothing else, it would have a longer reach than his hookshot. As for the Deku Leaf, they could give Toon Link a similar jumping mechanic to Princess Toadstool; in that if the player holds down the jump button, Toon Link will conjure the Deku Leaf and enter a glide.

Anyhow, let us not give up hope just yet. Whom knows? Isaac might just end up felling a
. I certainly hope so. :troll:

Top Bottom