• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I can't imagine them NOT using the top of a lighthouse for at least one of the versions... It fits SSB so well! With the main platform in the center, possibly with tiered levels and the two elevators on either side (maybe going up and down?) a fair ways away, with three little floating platforms strung in the air between. And the Music!! ah... Its so perfect!

I think both the venus and mercury lighthouses were layed out this way, but I cant quite remember how the other two were.
Exactly, but especially if midway through the battle, all hell breaks loose when the Lighthouse is ignited!
I can't think of a competitive-viable consequence to the Lighthouse being lit. I can think of a raging sandstorm (in Venus' Lighthouse case) and a blizzard (not really something the Mars Lighthouse does, but because it's located in a really really cold place, the adrenaline pump of lighting the lighthouse + a raging blizzard brewing = epic sauce).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So I finally started playing Golden Sun. I haven't had too much time to play it but I think I have enough time invested into it to get the general idea (at Lamakan Desert.) I'm enjoying the game so far! It does have some major pacing issues (especially in the first few hours of the game) and there are a few other quirks that could be worked out (I think it's odd that there's not always a warning before boss battles - they are easy enough that I haven't died yet and I tend to save all the time, but I would be really frustrated if I died to a boss I didn't see coming) but over all it is a very well crafted game.

The Djinn system would allow Isaac to have a very diverse moveset, so I can see why people want his inclusion. I tend to think his specials would largely be Earth Psynergy, but there is enough source material to pull from that you could have him do pretty much anything. He really has 0 personality though, even for a silent JRPG protagonist. At least Chrono could dance.

I'll let you guys know how my opinion of the game and Isaac changes as play some more.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
He really has 0 personality though, even for a silent JRPG protagonist. At least Chrono could dance.

I'll let you guys know how my opinion of the game and Isaac changes as play some more.
The MC in Golden Sun games do not talk. When you switch protagonists in Lost Age, you'll get to see his personality a bit.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I think Issac is definitely going to be in SSBU/3DS thanks to this tweet that was made a couple years back

It Translates to "Be sure to include Geno from Super Mario RPG, Isaac from Golden Sun and Mega Man."

Sakurai Responds

It Translated to 2/3. Now we are waiting on Isaac.
Then he Deleted the tweet!

Read more about it at http://www.ssbwiki.com/Rumours#Brawl_is_the_last_game

Last edited:

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
It's been confirmed to be fake.
Nooo
Seriously, though. Isaac probably isn't going to be in the game, but I really want him to. The 2/3 thing is a disgrace to all leaks, getting our hopes up for a wanted character who has less than a 15% chance.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
My last thought on Isaac being in, I think maybe, I'm thinking he might get in as a unlockable character, but we wont know until we play the game and unlock him, I don't think we'll see him revealed in any trailer though, like I said, he's never been deconfirmed so maybe he's going to be a unlockable Newcomer that is kept secret.

Therefore I don't think we'll see him at E3, if we did, I'd be surprised and thrilled to see him announced.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
That's actually a great idea, since that part of the game is actually a reference to the commercial for the original game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOvwdVp8Fvo&feature=kp

I mean, it basically has nothing to do with the first two games, so it was really quite a bizarre commercial, but it would be cool if they referenced it again! And really, who doesn't want to do battle in an Opera House?
Hmm, interesting. I have never seen this commercial before. So that is where Crystallux originated from. Though it does look pretty cool, if I did not know better I probably would have thought that was a trailer for either a movie or a rhythm game; it only showed about a split second of gameplay footage.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, interesting. I have never seen this commercial before. So that is where Crystallux originated from. Though it does look pretty cool, if I did not know better I probably would have thought that was a trailer for either a movie or a rhythm game; it only showed about a split second of gameplay footage.
Yeah, i was always asking... How the heck is this trailer related to Golden Sun. Then Dark Dawn was released and Belinsk Opera revealed to be one of the first places being introduced in Golden Sun series... Nice trolling Camelot.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Makes me sad that Nintendo can't be bothered by doing commercials of that level for games past one or two triple-A titles anymore.
And they wonder why many of their games aren't selling...

In any case... I never knew that's where all that stuff from DD originated, that's pretty cool. Though the commercial really has absolutely nothing to do with GS.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In fact, the best Nintendo commercials aren't from Nintendo anymore:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I have a feeling that since all newcomers are supposed to be getting trailers, they probably won't be unlockable.
That's what's confusing me each character has a trailer but they also seem like "Intros" sort of.
Maybe there will be "Intros" that play right before you fight the character you're unlocking?
I'm not sure but I think they'll have some secret Newcomers.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
So...
Isaac at E3 or no?
As a hardcore GS fan I hope so but as a realistic Nintendo fan, Isaac by himself doesn't bring a lot of hype. Maybe if revealed in a trailer for multiple newcomers like they did with Brawl when they showed off Meta Knight, Pit, Wario and ZS Samus.

My DREAM trailer for E3 would be Sakurai embracing the silly Shulk vs Isaac thing and have a double newcomers trailer with Shulk and Isaac disrupting a fight between a few veteran characters and then fighting each other. That would be awesome.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So...
Isaac at E3 or no?
The only way I can see Isaac at E3 is if there is a new GS game, or if they announce a ton of newcomers. He is simply not a big enough character for that stage and has no new game to tie his reveal to (that we know of, anyway.) He seems more likely for a monthly direct reveal or as an unlockable newcomer (which would be my bet if he makes it.) I would be extremely hyped to see him and a few more characters in a joint trailer, though.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be honest, the only way I see getting Isaac at E3 is if Sakurai reveals all the remaining newcomers, something I very much doubt will happen.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hey, so, I know Shulk is largely brought up as Isaac's competition (which I disagree with, but anyway), but does anyone think the possible inclusion of the Avatar from Fire Emblem Awakening would effect Isaac's chances? The avatar's default name is Robin, and Robin is Isaac's name in Japan. On top of that, both would probably use swords for melee attacks with a variety of "magic" attacks for specials and potentially for smash attacks. They both have the potential to be very different from each other, but I could see a lot of overlap in theme. Any thoughts?

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Hey, so, I know Shulk is largely brought up as Isaac's competition (which I disagree with, but anyway), but does anyone think the possible inclusion of the Avatar from Fire Emblem Awakening would effect Isaac's chances? The avatar's default name is Robin, and Robin is Isaac's name in Japan. On top of that, both would probably use swords for melee attacks with a variety of "magic" attacks for specials and potentially for smash attacks. They both have the potential to be very different from each other, but I could see a lot of overlap in theme. Any thoughts?
The avatar default name is not Robin in japan though.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The avatar default name is not Robin in japan though.
I'm curious what is the Default name?
And why do they change Fire Emblem characters so god-dang much it's bothering me.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
And why do they change Fire Emblem characters so god-dang much it's bothering me.
According to the FE wiki: "The Avatar (マイユニット, Mai yunitto, My Unit in the Japanese version), default name Robin (ルフレ, Reflet/Rufure in the Japanese version and Daraen in the Spanish, Italian, and French versions)".

This is not something exclusive of Fire Emblem, Golden Sun does it a lot. Isaac in my country (spain) is called Hans.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The problem is each game in the series takes place across a long and extended war. Its very difficult to actually keep making new games with the same cast. Realistically speaking, the characters should be uber-powerful years down the line that they can take any challenge and annihilate it.

Hmm... Isaac's name is just a "default" name in Golden Sun? That's odd, I thought it WAS his name.

But the default name "Robin" for the Avatar is a western thing? Interesting. Honestly, I'd love both Robin and Isaac, and I think Robin probably wouldn't use swords instead just plain magic. And even then, the circumstances behind each character is quite unique if they draw elements from each of the respective circumstances, so I think they can both work together.

The "two Robins" in Japan is my main problem with it, which is why I kept suggesting maybe the Avatar could be called "Tactician" instead.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Even if there was a legitimate name conflict, we have Matthew as a completely viable alternative.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Even if there was a legitimate name conflict, we have Matthew as a completely viable alternative.
I don't see it. Isaac is the signature character of Golden Sun. Main character of the first game, central playable character of the second game, and guest character in the third game plus still in the game itself (even with a lessened role). If we get a Golden Sun character, its Isaac.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
But a significantly less popular one.

Isaac still appears in all 3 games in the series, and a name issue shouldn't really be a reason to prevent a character from joining.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Since the name of the characters are not the same in a single region. I cant see the problem here.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Since the name of the characters are not the same in a single region. I cant see the problem here.
Yeah, I didn't realize Robin's default Japanese name was different. So it really doesn't matter. And I still don't see people's arguments about how Robin and Isaac would feel similar, both game franchises have completely different mechanics and different types of magic.

Hell, Isaac's default element is Earth, which is an element not represented AT ALL in Fire Emblem, and even then, Thunder isn't represented as an element in Golden Sun, either. So yeah, I don't really see the problem. If they decide to represent Isaac with more than one element, with earth attacks being his main attacks and one special perhaps and each of his other special attacks representing a different element, it'd still only crossover with fire and wind, and although I don't recall what the wind attacks look like in Golden Sun, I'm pretty sure they are different from Fire Emblem.

As a whole, I don't think the possibility of Robin making it over Chrom would affect Isaac whatsoever.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Hey guys. A guy and I are having a discussion over whether adult Isaac or young Isaac should be in. Read it, tell me what you think about our points. Also I reuse tons of arguments, so look out for that.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Hmm... Isaac's name is just a "default" name in Golden Sun? That's odd, I thought it WAS his name.
Actually, you can choose to rename all of your characters if you use a special code when you start your game. But if you don't carry your save file over to TLA, he will be named Isaac in that game, and then of course there's Dark Dawn. Don't recall any way of changing his name in that. So it's some pretty solid canon.

Hell, Isaac's default element is Earth, which is an element not represented AT ALL in Fire Emblem, and even then, Thunder isn't represented as an element in Golden Sun, either. So yeah, I don't really see the problem. If they decide to represent Isaac with more than one element, with earth attacks being his main attacks and one special perhaps and each of his other special attacks representing a different element, it'd still only crossover with fire and wind, and although I don't recall what the wind attacks look like in Golden Sun, I'm pretty sure they are different from Fire Emblem.

As a whole, I don't think the possibility of Robin making it over Chrom would affect Isaac whatsoever.
A lot of the main Jupiter/wind-based attacks in Golden Sun are basically lightning/electricity, or "plasma storms." So there is a bit of crossover there, but even if they both got in, I'd imagine Isaac would be based primarily around earth attacks, while Robin would have a more varied style, and, as you noted, no earth-based attacks. So, yeah, I don't think there'd really be much overlap. At least not visually. In terms of play-style, it really just depends on how their attacks are implemented.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I could see young Isaac being playable, and adult Isaac being a trophy.
I dunno. They might decide "hey, technically, Isaac was in Brawl as well, so let's use Isaac's newest design this time!" Actually, that did happen with Little Mac, so I could totally buy that happen.

Granted, its just as likely Isaac would be in his younger design, too.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Since there's absolutely no way for Mia/Sofia to be playable, I'll settle for Isaac who's my second favorite character in the first game anyway. The only thing I fear is that he may not be as iconic as other Nintendo figures, but I'm definitely a supporter.

bassem6

Smash Lord
I thought Isaac would be in brawl and was very disappointed. I really think Sakurai will put him in this time though. I will be the best Isaac main there ever was :)

Top Bottom