• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
You think Nintendo would outright confirm a leak? A Smash Bros. leak? That's pretty unrealistic...

Not to mention, Wolf didn't receive nearly as much flack as I remember ROB and to a lesser extent TL receiving. When he was originally leaked people didn't even know he was a semi-clone, and he was a character with demand, so no, I don't remember him being some sort of pariah. Especially not for leaking. People don't hate characters for being leaked, if anything it gives people more time to adjust to the idea of that character. Look at Chorus Men, if the leak turns out to be valid people will at least be expecting it and not react as adversely as if he was hypothetically unknown the whole time only to be the last character revealed - he'd become the new ROB if that were the case.

Whether Isaac is leaked or revealed officially I don't see that being the factor his reception hinges on.
A man can dream! Maybe one day they'll actually apologize for their horribleness they have from time to time to. Look at Wii Music.....

I just don't want Isaac being a last man standing, just out of fear he won't be in.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I may not know much of anything regarding Golden Sun, nor am I really a supporter of Issac per se (though I would like to see him in), but I will say it is significant that he survived the AT slaughter of the Direct.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I have to ask... (not trying to start another argument here) why do people think Shulk is more likely than Isaac? Just an honest question.
Now, I know I've never been in this thread before, and I don't want people to think I'm against Isaac in any way. I definitely support him, it's just that he is one of the characters in my second tier of support.

I don't think him and Shulk are necessarily in direct competition for some sort of blond JRPG protagonist spot, but since the question was asked I do think Shulk is a bit more likely then Isaac at the moment for a few reason.

1.) Xenoblade has a sequel or spiritual sequel coming out soon, and Nintendo has been pushing it. A character that is likely either Shulk or related to Shulk was shown in the reveal trailer. It would make sense to put him in if Nintendo sees the Xeno franchise as a growing or important IP. On top of this, although Xenoblade is a new IP it is carrying on many of the themes and the title convention of Xenogear and Xenosaga. The "Xeno" games started with Xenogears in 1998, so the name recognition goes way back... and it's the same team who worked on all these games. (The same team also worked on the Chrono games for Square, so Monolith Soft has a hell of a pedigree.)

2.) Xenoblade is seen by many people as an important game; it is one of the best JRPGs in years and has had extremely high critical praise. Many review sites herald it as a reinvention of a stagnant genre. Golden Sun on the other hand is a fun and well loved franchise, but it was never seen as more then a good JRPG on a system that was lacking for them at the time.

3.) Golden Sun is not only on hiatus, but it is in decline and Isaac may have missed his opportunity when he was an AT in Brawl. Each game in the series has sold less then the previous installment; Nintendo may not see growth potential in the franchise so who knows about it's future. Now, it's not Sin and Punishment; the original game sold great and although the direct sequel couldn't quite match those numbers it also did well. The third game had a bigger drop off in sales numbers and sold less then Xenoblade (if we want to look at it in a "what have you done for me recently sort of way.")

4.) Xenogears is first party while Golden Sun is second. Not sure if this really effects things greatly but it is a point to consider.

All that being said I don't think that Shulk has a much better chance then Isaac. I see it more as being a 55/45 sort of split. This was just to a way to list a few reasons why Shulk MIGHT get in over Isaac. I also want to say a list could easily be made for why Isaac is a better choice then Shulk, but as this is the Isaac thread it seems a bit unnecessary. I would personally like to see them both get in, but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
2.) Xenoblade is seen by many people as an important game; it is one of the best JRPGs in years and has had extremely high critical praise. Many review sites herald it as a reinvention of a stagnant genre. Golden Sun on the other hand is a fun and well loved franchise, but it was never seen as more then a good JRPG on a system that was lacking for them at the time.
How?

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
For the few whom might care, here is the Sveta moveset I said I was working on. It is still in its rough draft status, though. With the exception of two moves, this moveset is strictly Jupiter-based. Also, since we already have Pikachu, an electricity user, I tried mine best to avoid using any of the lightning-based attacks from Golden Sun. All of Sveta's magickal attacks are strictly wind/air-based. Anyhow, here it is:

[collapse="Sveta moveset"]
Index
1). Jab & Dash Attack
2). Tilt Attacks
3). Smash Attacks
4). Aerial Attacks
5). Special Attacks
6). Grab & Throws
*7). Taunts, poses, etc.
8). Final Smash

Summary
Sveta's fighting style is an amalgam of hand-to-hand combat and wind magick. Her physical attacks are lightning-fast, and her magickal attacks are slow but powerful. She is also good at dodging and countering. However, she has two major weaknesses: light weight and poor defence. When Sveta's damage percentage is high enough, she can be sent flying fairly easily. Thus, the player must focus on evading and punishing. Hit them before they hit you.​

1). Jab & Dash Attack

Jab 1, 2, & 3 (Feral Rush): Sveta delivers a lightning fast punch, (2) follows up with a second punch, (3) then finishes the combo with a lightning-fast spin-kick, knocking the opponent away a short distance. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, executable with either the Umbra Knuckles or Anpsi Knuckles equipped.)

Rapid Jab (Endless Edges): With lightning-fast speed, Sveta endlessly slashes the opponent with her claws. When the looping combo is terminated, Sveta will deliver a finishing punch that will launch the opponent backward a medium distance. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Dark Dawn, which is executable with either the Mythril Claw or Bloody Claw equipped.)

Dash Attack (Spin Slice): With lightning speed, Sveta dashes forward whilst slicing the opponent(s) with her claws, leaving behind a trail of blue, glowing claw marks. The opponents are sent flying upward a short distance. Instant startup. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Dark Dawn, which is executable with Iron Claw equipped.)

2). Tilt Attacks

Forward Tilt (Brutal Strike): Sveta delivers a single, powerful punch that sends the opponent flying backward a medium distance. Quick startup. Can be jab-cancelled into. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Dark Dawn, executable with the Brass Knuckles equipped.)

Upward Tilt (Rising Light): Sveta sends the opponent flying straight upwards with a Shoryuken-style slash of her claw. The slash is accompanied by a flash of shining claw marks. Quick startup. Can be jab-cancelled into. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Dark Dawn, executable with the Berserker Claw equipped.)

Downward Tilt (Foul Saw): With a swift, low horizontal slash of her claw, Sveta sends the opponent flying backward a short distance. Quick startup. Can be jab-cancelled into. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Dark Dawn, executable with the Bloody Claw equipped.)

3). Smash Attacks

Forward Smash (Slap): Sveta conjures are large hand made of condensed wind magick. The hand then delivers a resounding slap to he opponent(s), sending them flying. Great horizontal range, and can kill at medium-high percentages, but slow startup. (Author's Note: This is a field psynergy in Dark Dawn usable by Sveta, and is one of her signature attacks.)

Upward Smash (Tornado): Sveta clasps her hands together, conjuring a large tornado around her. This move functions very similarly to the tornado in the Legend of Zelda stage from Smash 64, only it is more powerful. When this move is in motion, nearby opponents will be pulled in. Any opponent caught in the tornado will be damaged repeatedly whilst flying in circles, before finally being launched upwards. Good horizontal and great vertical range, and can kill at medium-high percentages, but slightly slow startup. (Author's Note: This is a common Jupiter psynergy move in the Golden Sun series.)

Downward Smash (Satellite Crash): With both arms over her head, Sveta conjures a large sphere of compressed wind magick, then slams it into the ground in front of her, creating a hurricane-force burst of wind that sends any nearby opponent flying upward or diagonally. Very powerful, covers a wide range, and can kill at medium-high percentages, but slow startup. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Dark Dawn, executable with the Anpsi Knuckles equipped.)

4). Aerial Attacks

Neutral Aerial (Vortex): Sveta shrouds herself in a large sphere of roaring wind, repeatedly damaging any nearby opponent whilst keeping them pulled in. Instant startup. (Author's Note: This move derives from the attack unleashed by the Jupiter Djinni named Vortex.)

Forward Aerial (Gust): Shrouded in wind, Sveta performs two swift and powerful slashes of her claws, the second of which sends the opponent flying a fair distance. Instant startup. (Author's Note: This move derives from the attack unleashed by the Jupiter Djinni named Gust.)

Backward Aerial (Annihilation): In a lightning-fast motion, Sveta whirls around and performs a powerful slash of her claw, sending the opponent flying away a medium distance. The move has a very small chance of killing the opponent instantly--if it does, the Japanese Kanji symbol "korosu" will appear in red in front of Sveta. Otherwise, the Kanji symbol "horobiru" will appear in orange. Instant startup. (Author's Note: This is a Venus psynergy move, usable by Sveta, provided she has the proper Djinn equipped.)

Upward Aerial (Wind Slash): Sveta slashes her claw through the air above her, conjuring a large, crescent-shaped blade of wind that damages the opponent multiple times before sending him/her flying upward. Good for "juggling". Instant startup. (Author's Note: This is a common Jupiter psynergy move in the Golden Sun series.)

Downward Aerial (Gale): Sveta thrusts her palm downward, conjuring a burst of wind that sends the opponent plummeting downward. Slightly slow startup. (Author's Note: This move derives from the attack unleashed by the Jupiter Djinni named Gale. It is also the name of a common Jupiter psynergy move.)

5). Special Attacks

Standard Special (Spirit Sense): Sveta closes her eyes and extends her palm forward, sensing the opponents' thoughts. If an opponent attacks her whilst she is doing this--whether with a direct or indirect attack, Sveta will disappear, reappear in front the opponent, then send the opponent flying with a powerful, lightning-fast slash of her claw. If the player wishes, Sveta can instead warp to a different spot or simply reappear at her original position. Very slightly slow startup. Can kill at high percentages. (Author's Note: This is a field psynergy in Dark Dawn that is completely unique to Sveta. In Dark Dawn, it functions in the same manner as the Mind Read psynergy in the first two Golden Sun games.)

Side Special (Speed Punch): With the speed of sound, Sveta dashes forward. If she collides with an opponent, she will deliver a powerful punch to the opponent, sending him/her flying straight backwards. Like Ike's side special, this move can be charged and held indefinitely. How fast and far Sveta dashes, and how much damage and knockback she does, depends on how long the move is charged. When fully charged, this move is even faster than Fox's side special. Very slightly slow startup. Good for recovery. (Author's Note: This is a Jupiter psynergy move in Dark Dawn, which is completely unique to Sveta.)

Up Special (Dimension Rift): In a flash of bluish light, Sveta instantly disappears, then reappears far away in whichever direction the player holds the control stick. Similar to Zelda's Up Special, but faster. If the player holds down the special button, Sveta will perform a powerful slash of her claw, which can kill at high percentages. Instant startup. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Dark Dawn, executable with the Mythril Claw equipped.)

Down Special (Mist):
Sveta clasps her hands together, shrouding herself in thick mist that covers a Koopa/Bowser-size range at a 360 degree radius. The mist stays stationary on the field for about ten seconds. When Sveta is standing in the mist, any attack on her, including projectiles, will miss. However, this rule applies to other players in the match, too. Once you use this move, you cannot use it again until the current shroud of mist dissipates. Very slightly slow startup. (Author's Note: This is a Jupiter psynergy move, usable by Sveta, provided she has the proper Djinn equipped.)

6). Grab & Throws

Forward Throw (Psynergy Slam): With both physical and psychic muscle, Sveta hurls the opponent a long distance. The opponent flies in an arc. The opponent takes a decent amount of damage when thrown, and a large amount of damage if he/she hits the ground or a wall. Can kill at high percentages if used near the edge of the stage. (Author's Note: This is a Venus psynergy move in Dark Dawn that is completely unique to Sveta.)

Backward Throw: Sveta rolls on her back, taking the opponent with her, then sends the opponent flying with a strong push of her feet. This move does not do too much damage, but it sends the opponent flying well out of arm's reach.

Upward Throw(Psynergy Surge): Sveta seizes the opponent with both hands, leaps high into the air, then comes crashing down in an explosion of dust. Upon landing, the opponent is sent flying upward at an 80 or 110 degree angle. This move does a large amount of damage, and can kill at high percentages. Similar to Kirby's upward throw, but more powerful. (Author's Note: This is a Venus psynergy move in Dark Dawn that is completely unique to Sveta.)

Downward Throw: With one hand, Sveta slams the opponent into the ground. The opponent flies away a short distance. This move does a medium-small amount of damage, and can chain-grab.

7). Taunts, poses, etc. (incomplete)
Victory Pose 1:
Victory Pose 2:
Victory Pose 3:
On-Stage Appearance:

8). Final Smash

Final Smash (Beastform): Sveta embraces her inner beast, transforming into large, muscular, humanoid wolf. In this state, all of Sveta's moves are greatly increased in power, being able to kill at very low damage percentages. Also, Sveta will still take damage from attacks, but will not flinch in the slightest.
[/collapse]

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
For the few whom might care, here is the Sveta moveset I said I was working on. It is still in its rough draft status, though. With the exception of two moves, this moveset is strictly Jupiter-based. Also, since we already have Pikachu, an electricity user, I tried mine best to avoid using any of the lightning-based attacks from Golden Sun. All of Sveta's magickal attacks are strictly wind/air-based. Anyhow, here it is:

[collapse="Sveta moveset"]
Index
1). Jab & Dash Attack
2). Tilt Attacks
3). Smash Attacks
4). Aerial Attacks
5). Special Attacks
6). Grab & Throws
*7). Taunts, poses, etc.
8). Final Smash

Summary
Sveta's fighting style is an amalgam of hand-to-hand combat and wind magick. Her physical attacks are lightning-fast, and her magickal attacks are slow but powerful. She is also good at dodging and countering. However, she has two major weaknesses: light weight and poor defence. When Sveta's damage percentage is high enough, she can be sent flying fairly easily. Thus, the player must focus on evading and punishing. Hit them before they hit you.​

1). Jab & Dash Attack

Jab 1, 2, & 3 (Feral Rush): Sveta delivers a lightning fast punch, (2) follows up with a second punch, (3) then finishes the combo with a lightning-fast spin-kick, knocking the opponent away a short distance. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, executable with either the Umbra Knuckles or Anpsi Knuckles equipped.)

Rapid Jab (Endless Edges): With lightning-fast speed, Sveta endlessly slashes the opponent with her claws. When the looping combo is terminated, Sveta will deliver a finishing punch that will launch the opponent backward a medium distance. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Dark Dawn, which is executable with either the Mythril Claw or Bloody Claw equipped.)

Dash Attack (Spin Slice): With lightning speed, Sveta dashes forward whilst slicing the opponent(s) with her claws, leaving behind a trail of blue, glowing claw marks. The opponents are sent flying upward a short distance. Instant startup. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Dark Dawn, which is executable with Iron Claw equipped.)

2). Tilt Attacks

Forward Tilt (Brutal Strike): Sveta delivers a single, powerful punch that sends the opponent flying backward a medium distance. Quick startup. Can be jab-cancelled into. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Dark Dawn, executable with the Brass Knuckles equipped.)

Upward Tilt (Rising Light): Sveta sends the opponent flying straight upwards with a Shoryuken-style slash of her claw. The slash is accompanied by a flash of shining claw marks. Quick startup. Can be jab-cancelled into. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Dark Dawn, executable with the Berserker Claw equipped.)

Downward Tilt (Foul Saw): With a swift, low horizontal slash of her claw, Sveta sends the opponent flying backward a short distance. Quick startup. Can be jab-cancelled into. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Dark Dawn, executable with the Bloody Claw equipped.)

3). Smash Attacks

Forward Smash (Slap): Sveta conjures are large hand made of condensed wind magick. The hand then delivers a resounding slap to he opponent(s), sending them flying. Great horizontal range, and can kill at medium-high percentages, but slow startup. (Author's Note: This is a field psynergy in Dark Dawn usable by Sveta, and is one of her signature attacks.)

Upward Smash (Tornado): Sveta clasps her hands together, conjuring a large tornado around her. This move functions very similarly to the tornado in the Legend of Zelda stage from Smash 64, only it is more powerful. When this move is in motion, nearby opponents will be pulled in. Any opponent caught in the tornado will be damaged repeatedly whilst flying in circles, before finally being launched upwards. Good horizontal and great vertical range, and can kill at medium-high percentages, but slightly slow startup. (Author's Note: This is a common Jupiter psynergy move in the Golden Sun series.)

Downward Smash (Satellite Crash): With both arms over her head, Sveta conjures a large sphere of compressed wind magick, then slams it into the ground in front of her, creating a hurricane-force burst of wind that sends any nearby opponent flying upward or diagonally. Very powerful, covers a wide range, and can kill at medium-high percentages, but slow startup. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Dark Dawn, executable with the Anpsi Knuckles equipped.)

4). Aerial Attacks

Neutral Aerial (Vortex): Sveta shrouds herself in a large sphere of roaring wind, repeatedly damaging any nearby opponent whilst keeping them pulled in. Instant startup. (Author's Note: This move derives from the attack unleashed by the Jupiter Djinni named Vortex.)

Forward Aerial (Gust): Shrouded in wind, Sveta performs two swift and powerful slashes of her claws, the second of which sends the opponent flying a fair distance. Instant startup. (Author's Note: This move derives from the attack unleashed by the Jupiter Djinni named Gust.)

Backward Aerial (Annihilation): In a lightning-fast motion, Sveta whirls around and performs a powerful slash of her claw, sending the opponent flying away a medium distance. The move has a very small chance of killing the opponent instantly--if it does, the Japanese Kanji symbol "korosu" will appear in red in front of Sveta. Otherwise, the Kanji symbol "horobiru" will appear in orange. Instant startup. (Author's Note: This is a Venus psynergy move, usable by Sveta, provided she has the proper Djinn equipped.)

Upward Aerial (Wind Slash): Sveta slashes her claw through the air above her, conjuring a large, crescent-shaped blade of wind that damages the opponent multiple times before sending him/her flying upward. Good for "juggling". Instant startup. (Author's Note: This is a common Jupiter psynergy move in the Golden Sun series.)

Downward Aerial (Gale): Sveta thrusts her palm downward, conjuring a burst of wind that sends the opponent plummeting downward. Slightly slow startup. (Author's Note: This move derives from the attack unleashed by the Jupiter Djinni named Gale. It is also the name of a common Jupiter psynergy move.)

5). Special Attacks

Standard Special (Spirit Sense): Sveta closes her eyes and extends her palm forward, sensing the opponents' thoughts. If an opponent attacks her whilst she is doing this--whether with a direct or indirect attack, Sveta will disappear, reappear in front the opponent, then send the opponent flying with a powerful, lightning-fast slash of her claw. If the player wishes, Sveta can instead warp to a different spot or simply reappear at her original position. Very slightly slow startup. Can kill at high percentages. (Author's Note: This is a field psynergy in Dark Dawn that is completely unique to Sveta. In Dark Dawn, it functions in the same manner as the Mind Read psynergy in the first two Golden Sun games.)

Side Special (Speed Punch): With the speed of sound, Sveta dashes forward. If she collides with an opponent, she will deliver a powerful punch to the opponent, sending him/her flying straight backwards. Like Ike's side special, this move can be charged and held indefinitely. How fast and far Sveta dashes, and how much damage and knockback she does, depends on how long the move is charged. When fully charged, this move is even faster than Fox's side special. Very slightly slow startup. Good for recovery. (Author's Note: This is a Jupiter psynergy move in Dark Dawn, which is completely unique to Sveta.)

Up Special (Dimension Rift): In a flash of bluish light, Sveta instantly disappears, then reappears far away in whichever direction the player holds the control stick. Similar to Zelda's Up Special, but faster. If the player holds down the special button, Sveta will perform a powerful slash of her claw, which can kill at high percentages. Instant startup. (Author's Note: This is an unleash move in Dark Dawn, executable with the Mythril Claw equipped.)
Down Special (Mist): Sveta clasps her hands together, shrouding herself in thick mist that covers a Koopa/Bowser-size range at a 360 degree radius. The mist stays stationary on the field for about ten seconds. When Sveta is standing in the mist, any attack on her, including projectiles, will miss. However, this rule applies to other players in the match, too. Once you use this move, you cannot use it again until the current shroud of mist dissipates. Very slightly slow startup. (Author's Note: This is a Jupiter psynergy move, usable by Sveta, provided she has the proper Djinn equipped.)

6). Grab & Throws

Forward Throw (Psynergy Slam): With both physical and psychic muscle, Sveta hurls the opponent a long distance. The opponent flies in an arc. The opponent takes a decent amount of damage when thrown, and a large amount of damage if he/she hits the ground or a wall. Can kill at high percentages if used near the edge of the stage. (Author's Note: This is a Venus psynergy move in Dark Dawn that is completely unique to Sveta.)

Backward Throw: Sveta rolls on her back, taking the opponent with her, then sends the opponent flying with a strong push of her feet. This move does not do too much damage, but it sends the opponent flying well out of arm's reach.

Upward Throw(Psynergy Surge): Sveta seizes the opponent with both hands, leaps high into the air, then comes crashing down in an explosion of dust. Upon landing, the opponent is sent flying upward at an 80 or 110 degree angle. This move does a large amount of damage, and can kill at high percentages. Similar to Kirby's upward throw, but more powerful. (Author's Note: This is a Venus psynergy move in Dark Dawn that is completely unique to Sveta.)

Downward Throw: With one hand, Sveta slams the opponent into the ground. The opponent flies away a short distance. This move does a medium-small amount of damage, and can chain-grab.

7). Taunts, poses, etc. (incomplete)
Victory Pose 1:
Victory Pose 2:
Victory Pose 3:
On-Stage Appearance:

8). Final Smash

Final Smash (Beastform): Sveta embraces her inner beast, transforming into large, muscular, humanoid wolf. In this state, all of Sveta's moves are greatly increased in power, being able to kill at very low damage percentages. Also, Sveta will still take damage from attacks, but will not flinch in the slightest.
[/collapse]
This moveset.
It's so good. Why is it so good?

So well thought out. I'd main Sveta in an instant if she ever showed up.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have something interesting to talk about.Based of this, as very unlikely as it is, the mystery 3DS game could be another Golden Sun game. Thoughts?
GS isn't of the pedigree it'd get it's own Developer Discussion sadly. I'd imagine the mystery game in question is from a larger IP.

The most GS could probably hope for if it hypothetically were to be revealed at E3 is a smallish portion of the glorified Direct, like DD got at E3 09 and 10.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
I have something interesting to talk about.Based of this, as very unlikely as it is, the mystery 3DS game could be another Golden Sun game. Thoughts?
Sadly I have to agree with N3ON on this. As a hardcore GS fan, I could talk about GS for hours but if I were in Iwata's shoes the only franchises worthy of that hour and a half special are Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. There's also the chance that this is the new IP that was rumored to being worked on. If there is a new GS game revealed (and I really hope there is) it would be lucky to get 5 minutes of showtime for the E3 Direct.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
GS isn't of the pedigree it'd get it's own Developer Discussion sadly. I'd imagine the mystery game in question is from a larger IP.

The most GS could probably hope for if it hypothetically were to be revealed at E3 is a smallish portion of the glorified Direct, like DD got at E3 09 and 10.
Unless they feel sufficiently confident it would knock the socks off everyone. Not sure what they could do with Golden Sun 4 to make it that kind of game though, one that would impress the masses instantly.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Unless they feel sufficiently confident it would knock the socks off everyone. Not sure what they could do with Golden Sun 4 to make it that kind of game though, one that would impress the masses instantly.
Well, Isaac playable in Smash would probably help.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Issac, Alex and Sveta are my Top 3 Picks for Golden Sun Reps

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I bought Golden Sun last week on the Wii U VC. Not terribly far into it yet, but I really like what I've played so far and I can definitely see Issac's potential. Consider me a supporter.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
If Isaac is playable it's pretty obvious move will be a special... likely the standard one.
I have to agree with this. Move would undoubtedly be the best and most unique choice for Isaac's standard special.

Although, I wonder what his side special and down special would be... Perhaps his specials could be composed solely of field psynergies, whilst the rest of his moves would be combat psynergies. I could easily see Isaac being one of the most tactical characters in Smash; I honestly would rather him be a tactical fighter instead of a magickal brute.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Warning Received
Shulk fans I'm afraid I got some bad news!

Like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, KingDom Hearts, Geno or anything Square, we wont be seeing Shulk added at all because it seems like he's too third party, plus lets face it, he's the same thing as anything that came from Square, I knew there was something about him just by how much of wuss he look like, and face it besides Crono, all of the guy characters look like they were designed by Frank'N Firter Tim Curry himself.

Therefore with that said, Isaac will be in over some Xeno character like Shulk Shogan.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, KingDom Hearts, Geno or anything Square, we wont be seeing Shulk added at all because it seems like he's too third party, plus lets face it, he's the same thing as anything that came from Square, I knew there was something about him just by how much of wuss he look like, and face it besides Crono, all of the guy characters look like they were designed by Frank'N Firter Tim Curry himself.

Therefore with that said, Isaac will be in over some Xeno character like Shulk Shogan.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

The Xeno series is developed by Monolith Soft, which is a subsidiary of Nintendo. Nintendo owns Shulk.

"The company was founded on October 1, 1999 by producer Hirohide Sugiura and director Tetsuya Takahashi after they left Square Co. and accepted an investment from Namco.[1] As of May 6, 2007, Nintendo owned controlling interest in the company after Namco Bandai sold 80% of its 96% stake in Monolith Soft to Nintendo. This went into effect May 1, 2007.[2] Later Namco sold the remaining 16%, making Monolith Soft a first-party developer for Nintendo."

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Please do not talk about Xenoblade-related discussions in the Isaac thread. It doesn't really belong in here. If you want to discuss Xenoblade or Shulk, take it to his thread.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I have to agree with this. Move would undoubtedly be the best and most unique choice for Isaac's standard special.

Although, I wonder what his side special and down special would be... Perhaps his specials could be composed solely of field psynergies, whilst the rest of his moves would be combat psynergies. I could easily see Isaac being one of the most tactical characters in Smash; I honestly would rather him be a tactical fighter instead of a magickal brute.
Catch would be a cool choice for a side special.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I could see Move not even being a part of Isaac's moveset if GS gets a replacement AT with the same effect (likely Matthew or Felix).

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
I think I would honestly prefer that. Move is cool as a unique attack for an assist trophy, but I feel like the giant hand psynergies don't work quite as well in an actual moveset. I feel like they would either be clunky or OP, and quite frankly, they're kind of a lame choice compared to everything else Isaac can do. It sets him apart as an assist trophy, sure, but if I'm going to be playing with him, I'd much rather be using my badass earth powers! They could work as a grab, if implemented right, but I feel like it'd have to be a pretty slow grab if it was going to stay the same size it was in Brawl just for balance purposes, and at that point, I'd probably just prefer a regular grab anyways.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I could see Move not even being a part of Isaac's moveset if GS gets a replacement AT with the same effect (likely Matthew or Felix).
Well, both Peach and Waluigi both have rackets, so Move can be a part of Isaac's moveset even if GS gets a replacement AT.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I can imagine Isaac using his psynergy hand for grabs, with move as part of his forward throw or back throw.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I was out of town for the weekend. The IGN review puts it best:

"although Xenoblade Chronicles honours many positive JRPG traditions, it's not afraid to dispense with other, more tedious ones. It's impressively non-linear, letting you wander from the story to explore its gorgeous world, toddling off in search of side-quests and extra-mean monsters to kill and caves to loot. It has fast-travel. Its story, which initially seems a little predictable, is actually a deep and varied tale that spans some 60-odd hours without ever feeling painfully drawn out. There are no random battles and the combat system is brilliant, a mix of real-time and command-based fighting that feels like an updated Final Fantasy XII mixed with a splash of White Knight Chronicles' chain system." - IGN

The sentiment was echoed amongst many reviewers.

"...that’s ancient history. In more recent times JRPGs have stumbled, stagnating to the point that they are once again truly niche. That’s probably why Xenoblade Chronicles, the most vital and exciting JRPG in years, only barely made it to America after the biggest fan outcry since that whole Greedo shot first thing." - Gamesradar

"Imagine my surprise at popping the disc into my Wii to discover a game nothing like Xenos past -- a game that, instead of stubbornly shoving the worst parts of JRPGs in your face, makes substantial advancements to the genre." - Joystiq

"What makes Monolith's game such a stellar experience is the fact that everything it does dramatically improves and innovates the RPG genre. Xenoblade gives the player a whole world to interact with and explore, removing boundaries and convenient game design choices for the sake of fun and immersion." -Gamepro

"I am incredibly grateful to Xenoblade Chronicles, for it has rekindled my love for console JRPGs, a love that had been systematically throttled by the likes of Square Enix and tri-Ace for the past few years." - Destructoid

"Not only the best RPG this generation, but it's also my favorite game on the Nintendo Wii. If you like RPGs, then you own it to yourself to buy this limited time gem of a game. The world and story of Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the most profound gaming experiences in recent years." - ZTZG

"Monolith provides the biggest and most ambitious game on Wii by a long-shot. Xenoblade Chronicles reignites the JRPG and adventure genres in one classy swoop; that this grandiose spectacle is under the banner of Nintendo is the cherry on top." - N-Europe

"Xenoblade Chronicles is the first JRPG I've played this generation that has me excited for the future rather than simply reminding me of happy memories from my past. Monolith Soft deserves praise for creating it." - Gameinformer

Like I mentioned in my last post though, those were just POSSIBLE justifications for Shulk making it in over Isaac. Isaac most certainly has his own merits and I would love to see him in the game; I was just merely answering a question.

Edit: I was just replying to my last reply and didn't notice @Venus of the Desert Bloom warning people to lay off the Shulk talk. Like I said, I'm a fan of Isaac (but a slightly bigger fan of Shulk) answering a question, if anyone wants to talk Shulk I'll be lurking in his thread.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Look, I can do it with GS as well...

"The best RPG on the market. Its exceptional graphics and gameplay will keep you coming back." - GameSpy

"The beautiful quest is probably the richest, most intricate RPG ever to have hit a handheld." - Nintendo Power

"'brilliant', 'fantastic' and 'a breathtaking work of genius.'" - TotalGames.net

"Gorgeous graphics, dazzling audio, a charming storyline and overall appealing game play -- and it all fits neatly inside your pocket!" - Armchair Empire

"The crowning glory of Golden Sun lies in its stunning graphics. Great environments, characters, and especially fight scenes." - Gamer's Pulse

"A huge, fantastic, creative, and wickedly fun RPG that doesn't seem to care that it's "just" on a GBA. It's easily the best RPG available for the GBA-and may just be the best RPG for any console system this year." - GamePro

"The quest is amazingly long, absolutely gorgeous to look at, a joy to listen to." - IGN

"Like a good book that you won't want to put down. Golden Sun is portable role-playing at its purest. Totally absorbing." - GamesRadar

"There is so much to Golden Sun that I can't help but fall head over heels for it. Every aspect of the game is soaked through with quality." - EGM

I'd say that's a little more than a game well-received simply due to lack of portable JRPGs, especially since Xenoblade and GS have near identical metacritic scores.

Critical reception doesn't even directly effect inclusion, it's the audience that the acclaim hopefully generates that is much more instrumental.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Regardless, I'd rather have both characters than just one, anyways. Those two guys works so well as foil from a meta point of view.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I really can't see Shulk not making it (because I believe the leak), but despite popular sentiment, they could obv both be great inclusions that are totally unique and nothing like each other.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I really can't see Shulk not making it (because I believe the leak), but despite popular sentiment, they could obv both be great inclusions that are totally unique and nothing like each other.
agreed i cant think why any one would even expect them to be clones

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
agreed i cant think why any one would even expect them to be clones
I don't think it's people expecting them to be clones as much as some people thinking that Shulk and Isaac are competing for representation in Smash, which has already been discussed to oblivion and back.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ofc there is also always that silly person who notes how since Isaac and Shulk are blonde JRPG sword-wielding protagonists, we don't need the both of them. The person who can't look past the most general surface details and thinks Sakurai wouldn't either. Clearly someone who hasn't played one or both of the games.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
If only Wonder Red had used a sword, maybe we would have gotten more comparisons with him - I mean, he has the blonde hair and a scarf, so he's already halfway there!

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly believe that Shulk and Isaac can co-exist. I mean, there is no logical reason to assert otherwise. But at the same time, I do feel as though they are compared so frequently for a reason. I would love to see both, I enjoy sword-users that have more to them. It is just difficult to contemplate both being in the game while other more notable Nintendo characters are missing. I feel like Isaac should make the jump to playable as he has Smash relevance and that Shulk should be added as an assist trophy for the time being. Come Smash 5, I would wholeheartedly welcome both of them.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Yeah, pretty much that. They have some obvious similarities which lead to them being compared, and while I don't think there is any reason they can't co-exist gameplay-wise, I just think it's unlikely that they will. And I don't think I've ever legitimately seen anybody arguing that they would be clones. It's just the economics of roster space at this point. Maybe come Smash 5 we'll have a 60 character roster (wouldn't that be nice) and get Shulk and Isaac and 4 Fire Emblem Characters and a 3rd Mother character and whoever else, but right now, probably not. I would prefer Isaac as playable and Shulk as an assist, but I have a bad feeling it might end up the other way around :/

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
@ N3ON N3ON my point with the quotes wasn't too show positive reviews for Xenoblade, but to show how many reviewers felt it was a game that was important to the genre (and not just a good game.)

I'm really not arguing against Golden Sun or Isaac in anyway though. Besides having the same shade of hair and existing in the same genre Shulk and Isaac have NOTHING in common.

I have a random question for all the Golden Sun fans here, and maybe it would be more appropriate for the Mathew thread I am sure is up here somewhere, but is there a reason people want Isaac over Mathew? Would people be mad if Mathew made it over Isaac? Aren't they both mostly just silent protagonists? I never played the third Golden Sun (only played the first, actually), is Mathew just a carbon copy of his father ability wise? (also, off topic, but is the third game worth playing? Reviews were mediocre but that doesn't really mean much.)

Morbi

Scavenger
@ N3ON N3ON my point with the quotes wasn't too show positive reviews for Xenoblade, but to show how many reviewers felt it was a game that was important to the genre (and not just a good game.)

I'm really not arguing against Golden Sun or Isaac in anyway though. Besides having the same shade of hair and existing in the same genre Shulk and Isaac have NOTHING in common.

I have a random question for all the Golden Sun fans here, and maybe it would be more appropriate for the Mathew thread I am sure is up here somewhere, but is there a reason people want Isaac over Mathew? Would people be mad if Mathew made it over Isaac? Aren't they both mostly just silent protagonists? I never played the third Golden Sun (only played the first, actually), is Mathew just a carbon copy of his father ability wise? (also, off topic, but is the third game worth playing? Reviews were mediocre but that doesn't really mean much.)
I want to play Isaac over Matthew because he is the character that I am more familiar with. But I suppose it wouldn't matter if Matthew got in over Isaac; I certainly wouldn't be discontent.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yeah, read the OP in this thread and it seems like Matthew to Isaac would just be a cosmetic change, but I'd like to hear more opinions.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Isaac is much more iconic - he's been in all 3 games, was the main protagonist of the first and played a major role in the second, he was already in Brawl as an assist - Matthew is basically just standing in the shadow of his father. That and many people considered Dark Dawn a bit of a letdown, or at least not nearly as good as the original games. Also, another big but very spoilery reason...

Isaac is literally part of the titular Golden Sun. He has its energy imbued in him. He's kind of inarguably the most vital character to the series, aside from the main villain, Alex.

Personally, I'd prefer Felix, the antihero/protagonist of the 2nd game, but that's... pretty much never going to happen D8

Top Bottom