• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Ludjinnado

Smash Cadet
You know... random encouters aren't as bad as some people make them out to be. The issue is the regularity of the encounters, which was why stuff like Skies of ARcadia tended to get flack. That said, I do prefer monsters that randomly appear in the enviroment (but not too close) and depending on the lead monster (the one in the enviroment), you can choose to fight or flee.
I don't tend to have a problem with random encounters but, especially in Golden Sun, it's annoying getting attacked loads when I'm lost (which happens embarrassingly frequently) or trying to solve a puzzle. Fortunately, I think most of the puzzle rooms have no enemies in.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I find most turn-based battle systems really boring, personally. They don't give me the same sense of actually being in control of my character's actions that I got from Xenoblade or The Last Story. I'm seeing words like "strategise" here, but I feel like actual strategy RPGs like Fire Emblem are much better for that. Pokémon has you juggling types, and Golden Sun has you accounting for Djinn and reclassing, and trying to get the right Djinn count for summons while not getting killed, while most other turn-based RPGs tend to be just "pick the strongest moves, and knock the stuffing out of your enemies" (and this happens with Golden Sun as well, later on in the games when you're 99% Megiddo smashing everything). I dunno, maybe I'm playing them wrong, but I just don't feel like they're for me.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I find most turn-based battle systems really boring, personally. They don't give me the same sense of actually being in control of my character's actions that I got from Xenoblade or The Last Story. I'm seeing words like "strategise" here, but I feel like actual strategy RPGs like Fire Emblem are much better for that. Pokémon has you juggling types, and Golden Sun has you accounting for Djinn and reclassing, and trying to get the right Djinn count for summons while not getting killed, while most other turn-based RPGs tend to be just "pick the strongest moves, and knock the stuffing out of your enemies". I dunno, maybe I'm playing them wrong, but I just don't feel like they're for me.
You mentioned Golden Sun and Pokémon. I'll add to that Shin Megami Tensei (or Persona) and Bravely Default.

Honestly, I've found far more strategic depth, and far more satisfaction from winning boss fights, in those games, than in ANY real time RPG.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I definitely know I like Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, and Xenoblade more than Earthbound and Pokemon. Although it'd be hard for me to decide a favorite among the first three.

Ludjinnado

Smash Cadet
I'm not a fan of either of those, personally. Though SMT: Devil Survivor, or whatever it's called (the action-based one), looks interesting to me, and I'll probably give SMTxFE a try when it's released.
Quelle horreur! You don't like any of those games?!

Just kidding, everyone's different and all that. Personally, I enjoy playing Xenoblade, Pokémon, Golden Sun etc. I like all these RPGs for different reasons, and I wouldn't want to give any of them up.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I definitely know I like Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, and Xenoblade more than Earthbound and Pokemon. Although it'd be hard for me to decide a favorite among the first three.
For me at least, I have four FEs in my personal top 10 favourite games, so that answers that question :p I agree that it'd be tough to choose between GS and Xenoblade, they're both amazing games. I think GS1+2 (the two games treated as one, as they were intended) might edge it, though.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
For me at least, I have four FEs in my personal top 10 favourite games, so that answers that question :p I agree that it'd be tough to choose between GS and Xenoblade, they're both amazing games. I think GS1+2 (the two games treated as one, as they were intended) might edge it, though.
I always treat the first two games as a single title.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Looks like he's getting a lot of recognition =D.

Thank you relaxalax =D.

Didn't like how Inkling was placed in though, the game hasn't even been released but meh!

Last edited:

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace

Thank you relaxalax =D.

Didn't like how Inkling was placed in though, the game hasn't even been released but meh!
This thread appeared in his video :'D. It's awesome to see a popular youtuber giving recognition to Isaac, this time, the sun will shine.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Thank you relaxalax =D.

Good video, but it misses a MAJOR point on marketing:

The people most likely to buy DLC are your CORE audience. Not the fringe outliers off the street. Everyone on Smashboards? They are far more likely to buy the DLC than a casual who has already put the game down.

Thus, your marketing should reflect that, and be characters your core audience wants. Who do you think is voting on the ballot? The people who will buy the DLC. The people voting for Isaac!

Calane

Smash Ace
I have to agree with the people that prefer the turn-based battle system. I have a hard time concentrating with real-time battle systems (or whatever you call them). I actually had a really hard time getting used of Chrono Trigger at first, due to not being able to take time to think. I eventually did, but it took some time. Anyway, there's plenty of strategy in turn-based RPGs, for those who don't know. You have to know your characters stats pretty well. You have to know when to heal and when not to, how much pain a character can dish out and how much damage they can take. You always have to be thinking ahead of time, planning your every attack. One wrong move could put your whole team in danger.

If anyone wants to play some good (but pretty tough) turn-based RPGs, I personally recommend Breath of Fire 2 or Dragon Quest V. Breath of Fire 2 is super hard, so if you don't strategize, you won't get very far. Dragon Quest V is pretty tough, but it's story is one of the most emotional adventures I've ever been on. They're both two of my favorites, though. Of course, I feel that Golden Sun is the best example of a fun turn-based RPG. Currently I'm playing through Lufia: The Legend Returns. It's actually really good so far. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
The best tagline imo is "Elijah Wood like to battle!"

It's just so punny it hurts. I'd like Isaac's to be similar.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956

Thank you relaxalax =D.

I've heard that Isaac has some pretty good support on both sides of the Pacific. So that's promising.

As for tags?

Hmm....

SAKURAI ENTERTAINS THEM ALL!
REGGIE WILL KICK YOUR ASS!

Oh wait... For Isaac? Whoops. Umm...

I dunno. I think the best ones have been covered already. Maybe I'll come up with something later.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Alrighty. I think we should all just go out and make another vote for Isaac. Don't worry about machines or IP addresses or anything. Let's just get another wave of votes into Nintendo, show them that we're STILL hyped for Isaac.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Alrighty. I think we should all just go out and make another vote for Isaac. Don't worry about machines or IP addresses or anything. Let's just get another wave of votes into Nintendo, show them that we're STILL hyped for Isaac.
I already did. Went around a couple of computers in my university, and submitted a bunch of votes for Isaac and Phoenix Wright.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I already did. Went around a couple of computers in my university, and submitted a bunch of votes for Isaac and Phoenix Wright.
I mean everyone in the thread. All the supporters.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I still hate the idea of multi-voting, but I might just do it again for K. Rool and Isaac.
I dislike the idea of spamming votes. But having an extra vote en masse once a month or so? That can't do anything but show Nintendo that the fans are out there and still interested.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
I honestly don't have any doubts anymore about Isaac making it in. I feel it could go good. Why else would there be two tracks in the game right?

...right? Someone say right..

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I honestly don't have any doubts anymore about Isaac making it in. I feel it could go good. Why else would there be two tracks in the game right?

Right.

He was going to be in the original game, but they delayed him to coincide with the E3 announcement of Golden Sun 4.

...Right..?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Style Savvy confirmed!

As much as I want him and think Isaac is likely, the music point means nothing.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Style Savvy confirmed!

Well.. I do have other reasoning.
Either Isaac was being worked on up until the smash ballot to see if people would really want him
Or he's been worked this whole time and would have nothing to do with the ballot
Those are your choices
Unless there's other better reasoning that this..

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well.. I do have other reasoning.
Either Isaac was being worked on up until the smash ballot to see if people would really want him
Or he's been worked this whole time and would have nothing to do with the ballot
Those are your choices
Unless there's other better reasoning that this..
Maybe Isaac hasn't been worked on at all yet, because they don't know the ballot winners yet and they didn't choose him for the initial game.

You're treating Isaac like a guarantee here.

Don't do that.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Assuming Isaac makes it in, how fast do you think he'll play? I personally think he will be around links speed!

He definitely can't be as slow as Robin or even Shulk(without speed), especially when he's considerably fast in Golden Sun.

Last edited:

ferioku

Smash Ace
Ike's fast in FE tho
He's fast in FE but I think Sakurai didn't want to have two fast sword characters in Smash 4.
Lucina probably just added because she was easy to implement.

Isaac is a solo character, and I think it would be cool to have one fast Sword based Magic character whilst Robin could be the slower one. :chuckle:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Assuming Isaac makes it in, how fast do you think he'll play? I personally think he will be around links speed!

He definitely can't be as slow as Robin or even Shulk(without speed), especially when he's considerably fast in Golden Sun.
Am actually thinking he'd be indeed much like Shulk, maybe somewhat like a less floaty Ness. Isaac is based on the Earth element, so he'd probably be much faster on the ground than in the air. Though he could be made to be a zoning character, which could slow him down considerably. I doubt he'll be very fast.

ferioku

Smash Ace
Am actually thinking he'd be indeed much like Shulk, maybe somewhat like a less floaty Ness. Isaac is based on the Earth element, so he'd probably be much faster on the ground than in the air. Though he could be made to be a zoning character, which could slow him down considerably. I doubt he'll be very fast.
Guess so.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Style Savvy confirmed!

But Swampy, we all know that a Culdcept rep is bound to happen sooner or later. :p

But Isaac is no doubt a shoo-in because he will dominate the Smash Ballot one way or another (Just like a certain fat krocodillian).

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
Pokémon has you juggling types, and Golden Sun has you accounting for Djinn and reclassing, and trying to get the right Djinn count for summons while not getting killed, while most other turn-based RPGs tend to be just "pick the strongest moves, and knock the stuffing out of your enemies"
I can really agree with this. I think Golden Sun and Persona, and SMT and Bravely Default do the turn based battles really well, but a lot of games even games I like like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger are just "Pick Strongest Move."

Anyway, I've been away from the thread for a while and I wanted to come back. I like seeing that some of you are trying to still get votes in for Issac. I've done the same and if someone hadn't already suggested we have another wave of votes I would have said so myself. We have a long way to go, so we absolutely can't stop. I know we can do this!

I'm very confident about Isaac. I'm sure the reasons are fairly obvious to anyone on this thread, but

He has a strong support by a lot of people all over the world. Big YouTubers like RelaxAlax and Shokio are mentioning him in their videos as genuine possibilities, which in turn is exposing him to more people. And I met several people who voted for him on a whim. And even before the game came out I saw Japanese players hoping to see him, and including him in their comics and fanart. Lots of people on tumblr. want to see him as well and I see a lot of rallying there and on facebook.

And this is just speculation, but the fact that there are two Golden Sun songs, and that he appeared in Brawl means that Sakurai has a fondness for the character and is aware of his demand. the fact that king K.Rool hasn't appeared on the battlefield in any iteration of Smash Bros actually puts him lower in likelihood in my eyes. Although, to be fair, he does have a Trophy and Isaac doesn't, and both DLC characters we know of already had trophies. ALTHOUGH Lucas' and Mewtwo's Trophies are not the new models so who knows if that actually has any significance.

Anyway, let's keep it going!

Top Bottom