• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The plot seems somewhat simple, but at least interesting enough to push through to the end. Is this game known for having a deep plot, or not?
It's not really known for its plot, no - it's pretty standard RPG fare. The gameplay (battles, puzzles and such) is the main appeal for most people.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It's not really known for its plot, no - it's pretty standard RPG fare. The gameplay (battles, puzzles and such) is the main appeal for most people.
Gameplay, and the absolutely FANTASTIC sense of exploration and adventure that the world conveys.

hwrdjacob

Smash Cadet
Sooo... I finally bought Golden Sun on the Wii U Virtual Console the other day. The plot seems somewhat simple, but at least interesting enough to push through to the end. Is this game known for having a deep plot, or not?:)
There is a very very good plot twist in the Second part of the game, but since Nintendo has only made avalible the first half (The Lost Age and Broken Seal, the game you're playing, were developed as one, single N64 game, but it was split into two for time constraints, effectively counting TBS and TLA as one installment in the canon)you won't get to it. The first half of the plot, the stuff you can access in Broken Seal, is mostly standard RPG fare

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sooo... I finally bought Golden Sun on the Wii U Virtual Console the other day. I just got out of Vale with Isaac and Garet. The plot seems somewhat simple, but at least interesting enough to push through to the end. Is this game known for having a deep plot, or not? Either way, it is not an issue for me. I'm just curious. :) The battle system is quite different from what I'm used to, though it does vaguely remind me of Pokemon. Then again, I haven't played that many RPGs (I've only played Pokemon, Xenoblade, and maybe FE: Awakening if that counts?) I'm really liking the game so far! :)
The plot of Lost Age is great. There's a huge plot twist that really turns things upside down. Golden Sun is standard RPG fare, though. Its amazing for the gameplay and puzzles, as others have stated.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Yeah, I love the psynergy puzzles in Golden Sun. It seems like Sakurai did, too, since the Isaac AT uses the puzzle-centric Move ability instead of a more direct attack.

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Sooo... I finally bought Golden Sun on the Wii U Virtual Console the other day. I just got out of Vale with Isaac and Garet. The plot seems somewhat simple, but at least interesting enough to push through to the end. Is this game known for having a deep plot, or not? Either way, it is not an issue for me. I'm just curious. :) The battle system is quite different from what I'm used to, though it does vaguely remind me of Pokemon. Then again, I haven't played that many RPGs (I've only played Pokemon, Xenoblade, and maybe FE: Awakening if that counts?) I'm really liking the game so far! :)
Things get deep plot wise later on in the first game and into the sequels. Things are kept relatively simple in the first entry though.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think it's moreso the world of Weyard itself that appeals to me more than the story and the characters. Although the story and characters are certainly enjoyable.

Also of course there's the gameplay which is also a huge plus.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
The characters, the plot, the soundtrack, the world of Weyard, everything appealed to me, that's why I love Golden Sun.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think it's moreso the world of Weyard itself that appeals to me more than the story and the characters. Although the story and characters are certainly enjoyable.

Yeah, the worldbuilding is much, much more interesting that everything else.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
For anyone who knows a bit of geology and geography, the Weyard is full of bonuses, haha.

Like Air's Rock (RL Ayer's Rock) in the middle of an Australia-shaped piece of land. Or Indra (India) crashing into a larger continent. Or the names Angara and Gondawan, which are based on actual pre-historical landmasses. Or the Suhalla (Sahara) desert. I could go on and on. :p

:231:

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Pokemon, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Advance Wars, Paper Mario, and of course, Golden Sun. Nintendo truly does have the best RPG's.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
For anyone who knows a bit of geology and geography, the Weyard is full of bonuses, haha.

Like Air's Rock (RL Ayer's Rock) in the middle of an Australia-shaped piece of land. Or Indra (India) crashing into a larger continent. Or the names Angara and Gondawan, which are based on actual pre-historical landmasses. Or the Suhalla (Sahara) desert. I could go on and on. :p

The WHOLE world of Weyard is based of the actual world:

(not name origins)
Angara - Asia (and Europe)
Hesperia - South America
Contigo - North America
Gondowan - Africa
Ocenia - Australia
Tundaria - Antarctica

Izumo - Japan
Indra - India

Plus areas like Suhalla desert you mentioned. They took our actual map, separated India, and made it as flat as a pancake. And then all areas are inspired of actual places.

Last edited:

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
The WHOLE world of Weyard is based of the actual world:

(not name origins)
Angara - Asia (and Europe)
Hesperia - South America
Contigo - North America
Gondowan - Africa
Ocenia - Australia
Tundaria - Antarctica

Izumo - Japan
Indra - India

Plus areas like Suhalla desert you mentioned. They took our actual map, separated India, and made it as flat as a pancake. And then all areas are inspired of actual places.
Indra is not flat as a pancake though: The Dehkan Plateau is a thing, and even this is inspired of the Deccan Traps in real life India. ;)

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Indra is not flat as a pancake though: The Dehkan Plateau is a thing, and even this is inspired of the Deccan Traps in real life India. ;)
He meant they made the entire world flat (as in, a flat Earth), as opposed to the land being level and plain.

But yeah, pretty much every location in the games is derived from some real-life equivalent (the main exception being Lemuria, which is based on the myth of Atlantis).
And what happens to Indra in the games is practically the opposite of how India ended up where it is in the real world (India broke away from southern Africa, and drifted north towards Asia; Indra was driven south and ended up lodged between southern Gondowan (Africa) and Osenia (Australia)).

Last edited:

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
He meant they made the entire world flat (as in, a flat Earth), as opposed to the land being level and plain.
But yeah, pretty much every location in the games is derived from some real-life equivalent (the main exception being Lemuria, which is based on the myth of Atlantis).
Oh okay! I misunderstood the sentence. :facepalm:
That makes more sense this way, yeah. :laugh:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Square has pretty good ones too.
Used to. Used to have good ones. Square-Enix is washed up, and I honestly feel that the merger never should have happened, because Square Soft and Enix were better off alone, but that's just my opinion. Only good RPGs from Square recently has been Bravely Default. Kingdom Hearts and FFXII were solid, but it went downhill from there.

Just my two cents.

But yeah, Isaac for DLC. Heck yes.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
How do you guys think Isaac's reveal trailer will go, if he gets in the game? I have one in mind for my main pick K. Rool but I can't think of one for my second pick Isaac (i havent played much Golden Sun only DD)

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Gameplay, and the absolutely FANTASTIC sense of exploration and adventure that the world conveys.
This post gave me an idea. I think it would be cool if the next Golden Sun took a little bit of a Xenoblade and The Legend of Zelda approach, as far as exploration goes. Instead of having this huge world map where you pretty much do nothing but walk and run into random battles, I think it would be ace if the ENTIRE world map consisted of terrain that you could manipulate with psynergy. And, if you saw a monster or some other enemy walking around, you could either fight them or evade them using either the Halt or Cloak psynergies.

Also, I think the battle system should be slightly modified. Not completely changed, but rather upgraded into something that kept the original formula, but at the same time brought something totally new. From what I've heard, the whole turn-based thing in RPGs is sort of going out of style. But I could be misinformed.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
How do you guys think Isaac's reveal trailer will go, if he gets in the game? I have one in mind for my main pick K. Rool but I can't think of one for my second pick Isaac (i havent played much Golden Sun only DD)
Shulk or Robin is fighting against Master Hand or Crazy Hand.
A little bit of battle occurs, and the character is about to be beaten by Master/Crazy Hand.
Suddenly, someone shouts "Move!" and another hand comes from nowhere to violently push back the other and save the hero in danger.
The newcomer has a yellow scarf... Isaac makes a Move!

Since the hand from the Move Psynergy looks like Master/Crazy Hand, I figured that would be a neat idea to feature them. The idea to include a boss rather than a fight between two or more roster characters would also make it different.
Shulk or Robin because of the "Blond JRPG 'swordsman' protagonist" parallel.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Shulk or Robin is fighting against Master Hand or Crazy Hand.
A little bit of battle occurs, and the character is about to be beaten by Master/Crazy Hand.
Suddenly, someone shouts "Move!" and another hand comes from nowhere to violently push back the other and save the hero in danger.
The newcomer has a yellow scarf... Isaac makes a Move!

Since the hand from the Move Psynergy looks like Master/Crazy Hand, I figured that would be a neat idea to feature them. The idea to include a boss rather than a fight between two or more roster characters would also make it different.
Shulk or Robin because of the "Blond JRPG 'swordsman' protagonist" parallel.
I like that idea, its pretty unique (also good pun). I feel like people who don't know Isaac would be like "Oh look its another anime swordsman helping out an anime swordsman" and then they get their mind blown with the cool earth psynergy moves Isaac has.

Last edited:

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
I like that idea, its pretty unique (also good pun). I feel like people who don't know Isaac would be like "Oh look its another anime swordsman helping out an anime swordsman" and then they get their mind blown with the cool earth psynergy moves Isaac has.
Thanks! Instead of Shulk or Robin, another clever choice would be Little Mac, for the fact that they would be the two who used to be Assist Trophies then being playable.
Or (but at this point it's extremely unlikely) Rayman, because he also has floating hands looking a little bit like the Move hand or Master/Crazy Hand. The splash text could then be "Isaac gives a helping hand!". :grin:

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Thanks! Instead of Shulk or Robin, another clever choice would be Little Mac, for the fact that they would be the two who used to be Assist Trophies then being playable.
Or (but at this point it's extremely unlikely) Rayman, because he also has floating hands looking a little bit like the Move hand or Master/Crazy Hand. The splash text could then be "Isaac gives a helping hand!". :grin:
I don't think Little Mac would work well with them folks over on the east (Japan). I still think they don't really know who Little Mac is besides from his appearance as an AT, a playable character in SSB4 and in Captain Rainbow (Totally should be playable)

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
@ POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA I'm thinking Isaac might battle Charizard in the reveal trailer considering the fact that Isaac has a thing for battling dragons.

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Inspired by some fanart, I imagine Isaac's reveal trailer to be the same one King K. Rool is revealed in. It starts off at the canyon in Megaman and Bowser Jr's trailers, but in the day, and Mario and a group of other characters are fighting each other while a mysterious figure watches from a distant lighthouse. Then a shadow appears in the sky and lands on the battlefield, causing a chunk of land to rise from the ground and interrupt the battle. Isaac is then revealed and after some gameplay footage is shown of him, a large creature lands on the battlefield, shaking it, and it is revealed to be K. Rool. His kremling army comes along and battles most of the other fighters and starts fighting Isaac. After some gameplay footage of him, he knocks Isaac to the ground and his army crowds around him and watch as he is about to deal the finishing blow when stone spires fly at him and damage the kremlings he dodges. Another fighter steps out of the shadows and draws his sword as it is revealed to be Feilx (Alt). He helps Isaac off the ground and they prepare to clash with K. Rool. As the Sm4sh logo appears. At the end of the trailer, the lighthouse is shown as a roar comes from it as the screen trembles a little and something flies off the top of it (Fusion Dragon).
This is just my idea though.

D

Deleted member

Basically, what Isaac and company are trying to prevent will doom Weyard to a slow, agonizing death if they succeed. After Jupiter Lighthouse, Isaac's crew realize that lighting the lighthouses, while releasing alchemy to be potentially abused, is better than their world manifesting itself into nothing.

Anyway, got Xenoblade yesterday for a rock-bottom price... but I'm never gonna play it because I'm not interested. I merely wanted it for the collection because I'm still mad at letting some Gundam DVDs slip from my grip.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Basically, what Isaac and company are trying to prevent will doom Weyard to a slow, agonizing death if they succeed. After Jupiter Lighthouse, Isaac's crew realize that lighting the lighthouses, while releasing alchemy to be potentially abused, is better than their world manifesting itself into nothing.

Anyway, got Xenoblade yesterday for a rock-bottom price... but I'm never gonna play it because I'm not interested. I merely wanted it for the collection because I'm still mad at letting some Gundam DVDs slip from my grip.
Your loss man. Best rpg of recent years.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Your loss man. Best rpg of recent years.
Well, he stated in the past that he isn't a big fan of action JRPGs like Xenoblade.

But yeah, if I would get it, I would like to try it, although I prefer turn-based over action, I had a pretty good experience with action RPGs in the past.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
This post gave me an idea. I think it would be cool if the next Golden Sun took a little bit of a Xenoblade and The Legend of Zelda approach, as far as exploration goes. Instead of having this huge world map where you pretty much do nothing but walk and run into random battles, I think it would be ace if the ENTIRE world map consisted of terrain that you could manipulate with psynergy. And, if you saw a monster or some other enemy walking around, you could either fight them or evade them using either the Halt or Cloak psynergies.

Also, I think the battle system should be slightly modified. Not completely changed, but rather upgraded into something that kept the original formula, but at the same time brought something totally new. From what I've heard, the whole turn-based thing in RPGs is sort of going out of style. But I could be misinformed.
People have been claiming that for years, but every time there's a good turn-based RPG that comes out, people flock to it. Just look at Bravely Default. It was so positively received that it made Square come out and say "wow, maybe we really SHOULD stick with tradition more".

For that matter, look at Pokémon. Turn based combat, and nothing but, for the whole series. Little bits added every generation to make it a bit more engaging, but nothing huge.

Golden Sun has an absolutely fantastic turn based system. There is so much depth to it, and so much more potential to develop it further. I wouldn't want it to go the way of an action RPG.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I generally don't like turn-based battle systems (Golden Sun and Pokémon are the only ones I like), but I'm not sure if Golden Sun would work with a Xenoblade-like battle system. There's so much going on, I think it would be difficult to keep track of things like Djinn numbers, class changes, summons, and so on.

I'd welcome any move away from random battles though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
People have been claiming that for years, but every time there's a good turn-based RPG that comes out, people flock to it. Just look at Bravely Default. It was so positively received that it made Square come out and say "wow, maybe we really SHOULD stick with tradition more".

For that matter, look at Pokémon. Turn based combat, and nothing but, for the whole series. Little bits added every generation to make it a bit more engaging, but nothing huge.

Golden Sun has an absolutely fantastic turn based system. There is so much depth to it, and so much more potential to develop it further. I wouldn't want it to go the way of an action RPG.
The only change I want for Golden Sun is the removal of random battles. Just have it so you run into enemies in a field instead of getting random battles, that's my preference. Preferably a random battle system similar to Lufia II; wouldn't it be awesome if it was actually a puzzle just to get the best encounter?

And the use of psynergy to try and lure enemies in certain ways could really expand the puzzle mechanics in GS as well, such as using a hand psynergy on the enemy to initiate battle and use that psynergy right at the start of the battle to deal damage before the first round actually occurs.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.

Hmm, very great points. As long as the concept is unique and engaging, I guess it shouldn't matter what type of battle system it is.

I am a little ashamed to have forgotten such an obvious lesson.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The only change I want for Golden Sun is the removal of random battles. Just have it so you run into enemies in a field instead of getting random battles, that's my preference. Preferably a random battle system similar to Lufia II; wouldn't it be awesome if it was actually a puzzle just to get the best encounter?

And the use of psynergy to try and lure enemies in certain ways could really expand the puzzle mechanics in GS as well, such as using a hand psynergy on the enemy to initiate battle and use that psynergy right at the start of the battle to deal damage before the first round actually occurs.
I haven't played Lufia II. The only JRPG I've played which has an alternative to random encounters that I've actually enjoyed is Chrono Trigger. But I could see a play style like that catching on.

Ludjinnado

Smash Cadet
I generally don't like turn-based battle systems (Golden Sun and Pokémon are the only ones I like), but I'm not sure if Golden Sun would work with a Xenoblade-like battle system. There's so much going on, I think it would be difficult to keep track of things like Djinn numbers, class changes, summons, and so on.

I'd welcome any move away from random battles though.
Generally, I prefer the turn-based system because if my cats decide they want to help or they think I'm not doing it right, they don't mess it all up.
Seriously though, I enjoy how, with turn 702 based RPGs, I'm given an opportunity to strategise as opposed to in action RPGs, where I just press all the abilities and hope for the best.

I wholeheartedly agree with the random battles comment, they get on my nerves more often than not.

Sorry about the random '702', that was my cat's addition, and I love him too much to get rid of it!

Last edited:

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
How to be rich in Golden Sun:

Step 1- Get all the monsters in the world
Step 2- Make clones of them and release them all over Weyard
Step 3- Open a Sacred Feather shop
Step 4- Make sure to kill any adept that knows the Avoid Psynergy
Step 5- Profit.

D

Deleted member

You know... random encouters aren't as bad as some people make them out to be. The issue is the regularity of the encounters, which was why stuff like Skies of ARcadia tended to get flack. That said, I do prefer monsters that randomly appear in the enviroment (but not too close) and depending on the lead monster (the one in the enviroment), you can choose to fight or flee.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
No profit plan is complete without a ??? step. :troll:

I much prefer Turn Based battles over Real Time ones, because it gives me time to think and strategize.

I found Xenoblade's interface quite confusing, to be honest.

Top Bottom