• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Calane

Smash Ace
The idea that DLC was planned from the start, as that blog thing suggests, has me pretty intrigued. If that's the case, I figure that characters were deliberately held back from the roster to be used as DLC. But, why would that happen? I have a theory I'm sure is wrong, but I'm going to say it anyway. Maybe the DLC characters were "low priority" characters that they didn't have enough time to fit into the game before release. Whoever was considered a "low priority" character was just shoved off into the DLC character camp. These characters would include Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, etc. Now, if this is to be believed, there's a chance that there was more low priority characters that we're unaware of, but I think it's possible to guess who they might have been going by what we have in the game already, or more accurately, what we don't have. Yes, I'm referring to Isaac/Matthew.

If this is true, Isaac/Matthew was probably a low priority character as well and was planned for DLC like the others, which explains Isaac's strange disappearance as an assist trophy. There's really no reason to remove him at all, so this is a strong possibility to me. Now, before people yell at me for considering Matt a possibility, let me explain. If Sakurai asked Camelot which GS character they wanted to use during development, they might have (and I doubt it) requested the use of Matthew. I'm not saying they did, but it's a possibility. Don't hate me. In any case, rather it was Isaac or Matt, the other would surely be used as an alt (it just makes sense). So, anyway, that just leaves the ballot as our last mystery. And if all this is true, which it's most likely not, the ballot is probably just a popularity contest to see which character the fans really want to see. The character chosen from this would not have been someone already in development, but a completely new character just for the fans. That's how I see it anyway.

*Clears throat* ...Well, now that I got all that nonsense rambling out of my system, I feel better. All this is probably not true at all, but if DLC was indeed planned all along, there could be a possibility that my rambling might have some truth to it. Sorry for this long comment. I think too much, lol.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I don't care too much about "character imbalance" personally, I just think it's absurd that a company would release that much DLC. Maybe if this was like The Sims (don't get me started with that series -_-), but Nintendo has never operated anywhere near like that (well, not to my knowledge anyway). And if they were going to release that many characters, I would think that they'd release them in bundles, but they've already started releasing the characters individually.

And if one gets excited at the prospect of that many characters, remember that even in Mario Kart 8 where the characters are very simple to make, they still included characters like Tanooki Mario and Cat Peach in the DLC instead of characters people actually wanted. -_-
IDK, at the end Smash is not Sims or Mario Kart, and maybe it'd satisfy many fanbases in case we get favored newcomer or veteran additions.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I thought Calane's ideas too.
But they could make Isaac as dlc, and Matthew (or whoever) as character of a future Smash. Golden Sun provides so much possibilities that it's possible to design 2 complete movesets with all the customs moves too

Calane

Smash Ace
I thought Calane's ideas too.
But they could make Isaac as dlc, and Matthew (or whoever) as character of a future Smash. Golden Sun provides so much possibilities that it's possible to design 2 complete movesets with all the customs moves too
I'm glad my theory didn't sound like complete nonsense. As for the future Smash idea, I'm not sure it would work. Not the idea that we could have more GS characters, but Isaac and Matt being separate characters. That just wouldn't work due to how similar they are in both looks and abilities. If Matthew is added at all, it'll most likely be as an alt. That's the way I'd prefer it as well. Anyway, I agree, GS has so much stuff to pull from, the movesets that could be made from the series is almost limitless.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I found a interesting read on this blog were it showed all the evidence pointing to DLC in smash, but what really caught my eye was the extra all star stages for 7-9 on Wii U, so there's the possibility of a total of 16 DLC characters including Mewtwo & Lucas so there could be 14 slots left. What do you guys think?
https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/10/was-dlc-planned-for-smash-4/
^ That's my article by the way. I was completely wrong with the "16" number (I was combining a few theories and ended up erasing most of it,) the actual ceiling of characters based on the extra all star stages alone would be 22. 7 per unused stage and 1 extra to fill the current last stage (which has you fighting against 6 characters.) I was also never suggesting that we would get that many DLC characters, just that Smash could hypothetically handle that number with assets that were already present within the game. There is no guarantee DLC characters will even be part of All Star mode, after all. We should know a lot more come this Wednesday.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'd be surprised if dlc characters weren't fully integrated into the game honestly.

Sakurai has said how worried he is about the dlc being perceived as a cheap cash grab by the fans, so I'd imagine he'll want to make sure it look as if the dlc characters were always there.

Last edited:

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
If Isaac gets added with Matthew as an alt, I would like the game to also give the alt some spotlight (just look at Olimar and Alph, sometimes I just forgot Alph is there).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The idea that DLC was planned from the start, as that blog thing suggests, has me pretty intrigued. If that's the case, I figure that characters were deliberately held back from the roster to be used as DLC. But, why would that happen? I have a theory I'm sure is wrong, but I'm going to say it anyway. Maybe the DLC characters were "low priority" characters that they didn't have enough time to fit into the game before release. Whoever was considered a "low priority" character was just shoved off into the DLC character camp. These characters would include Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, etc. Now, if this is to be believed, there's a chance that there was more low priority characters that we're unaware of, but I think it's possible to guess who they might have been going by what we have in the game already, or more accurately, what we don't have. Yes, I'm referring to Isaac/Matthew.

If this is true, Isaac/Matthew was probably a low priority character as well and was planned for DLC like the others, which explains Isaac's strange disappearance as an assist trophy. There's really no reason to remove him at all, so this is a strong possibility to me. Now, before people yell at me for considering Matt a possibility, let me explain. If Sakurai asked Camelot which GS character they wanted to use during development, they might have (and I doubt it) requested the use of Matthew. I'm not saying they did, but it's a possibility. Don't hate me. In any case, rather it was Isaac or Matt, the other would surely be used as an alt (it just makes sense). So, anyway, that just leaves the ballot as our last mystery. And if all this is true, which it's most likely not, the ballot is probably just a popularity contest to see which character the fans really want to see. The character chosen from this would not have been someone already in development, but a completely new character just for the fans. That's how I see it anyway.

*Clears throat* ...Well, now that I got all that nonsense rambling out of my system, I feel better. All this is probably not true at all, but if DLC was indeed planned all along, there could be a possibility that my rambling might have some truth to it. Sorry for this long comment. I think too much, lol.
Makes sense to me. If it's up to popularity Isaac is probably the one we'll get, but if it's up to the same factors the newcomers seemed to face this time (primarily being recent impact) we'll probably get Matthew. Though I imagine one would be an alt of the other anyway, like you said, since that just makes too much sense.

Maybe all this ballot will really do is swap who the default characters is from Matthew to Isaac. But as long as we get one, I'll be satisfied. Though my preference is Isaac.

D

Deleted member

Been absent for a long, long, time (haven't veen feeling too good), and the news that made me happiest of all from the direct was the Fighter Ballot.

I made sure to nominate Isaac from my 2DS, and I have high hopes for him being a fan-requested newcomer.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Lucas, Mewtwo, Isaac, King K.Rool and the other 8 veterans wouldn't be that unlikely imo.
I think it's more unlikely we get every single cut veteran than twelve characters. :laugh:

Though I do think twelve is still pretty unlikely.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
So Artsy Omni/Hex has Smashified Banjo and Kazooie...

Expect their votes to rise even more now.

On Matthew or Isaac, I would want Isaac 100%. Matthew can be the AT replacement for all I care. Felix could be the alt.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Artsy could Smashify Isaac, he only has smashified 3rd parties though, so Isaac Smashified would be cool (not saying K. Rool since he already has a trophy).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think people are still expecting Sakurai is going to be able to mitigate this DLC output to a much greater extent than he will. He's not going to be able to stop the dollar signs in Nintendo's eyes.

Artsy could Smashify Isaac, he only has smashified 3rd parties though, so Isaac Smashified would be cool (not saying K. Rool since he already has a trophy).
I expect he will eventually, Isaac is one of the more requested suggestions.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I agree with them full-heartedly. Despite the fact that BK would be a wonderful addition, they just won't happen.

Well whatever, I don't think Isaac voters and Banjo Kazooie votes should eat into each other's votes much. Except people like @ N3ON N3ON who would love to have both in Smash.

Just hoping Isaac gets revealed at E3 as a DLC character, as I really think one or 2 characters will be revealed at the event. Not like they can't count ongoing votes.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Yeah, I guess it's going to be like for Ridley. His fans were sure that he was going to be playable, and in the end, it turned out that Sakurai himself failed to make it possible. For Banjo, the character is not the problem, it's the fact that the series now belongs to Microsoft. Now, I really can't see them happen in Smash 4 DLC, but I could see it being a guest possibility in Smash 5. Though it's still going to be very hard for them.

I agree with them full-heartedly. Despite the fact that BK would be a wonderful addition, they just won't happen.

Well whatever, I don't think Isaac voters and Banjo Kazooie votes should eat into each other's votes much. Except people like @ N3ON N3ON who would love to have both in Smash.

Just hoping Isaac gets revealed at E3 as a DLC character, as I really think one or 2 characters will be revealed at the event. Not like they can't count ongoing votes.
Since they will receive hundreds of thousands submissions, they will definitely began to compile and analyse the results really soon. It's going to be a long, long work for them. Now, with Zelda U not being at this year E3 anymore, they'll need to find something else to create a lot of hype. More Smash DLC could be a part of this.

The stars start to align with our beloved Golden Sun... :denzel:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Oh, gosh, I would love an E3 announcement. It would make for one HECK of a hype presentation. They enter in, pull up the Smash logo, then pull up the poll, start flipping through some of the voted on characters, and then it settles on Isaac...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Since they will receive hundreds of thousands submissions, they will definitely began to compile and analyse the results really soon. It's going to be a long, long work for them. Now, with Zelda U not being at this year E3 anymore, they'll need to find something else to create a lot of hype. More Smash DLC could be a part of this.

The stars start to align with our beloved Golden Sun... :denzel:
I suspect they'll be using an algorithm to lighten the load. It might seem harsh, but I'd guess only the characters who receive more than a certain amount of votes won't just be thrown out, it would be nearly impossible to give every submission the same amount of attention.

Which is why spelling Isaac is important. Though since they're also asking for the series, and apparently it's easier to spell Golden Sun than the main character from it, it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Oh, gosh, I would love an E3 announcement. It would make for one HECK of a hype presentation. They enter in, pull up the Smash logo, then pull up the poll, start flipping through some of the voted on characters, and then it settles on Isaac...
Followed by GS4 reveal! On 3DS or Wii U, any I don't mind.

Although I do drool when I imagine a Wii U GS but then Camelot won't be able to pull it off. An amazing GS on the 3DS would still be amazing.

Edit: Before the GS reveal comes the epic CGI trailer with Isaac and 1 or 2 more newcomers who are coming as DLC!

Last edited:

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
I suspect they'll be using an algorithm to lighten the load. It might seem harsh, but I'd guess only the characters who receive more than a certain amount of votes won't just be thrown out, it would be nearly impossible to give every submission the same amount of attention.

Which is why spelling Isaac is important. Though since they're also asking for the series, and apparently it's easier to spell Golden Sun than the main character from it, it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Most probably. Though, even if his english name is also damn nice, this is the reason I'd prefer if he was called "Vlad" all around the world, like in France. Less possible mistakes. :laugh:

About that, is there some data to have a rough idea of Isaac's popularity in Europe? All I know is that in France, he seems to be the most popular choice. But I'd like to know about the other countries too.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Most probably. Though, even if his english name is also damn nice, this is the reason I'd prefer if he was called "Vlad" all around the world, like in France. Less possible mistakes. :laugh:

About that, is there some data to have a rough idea of Isaac's popularity in Europe? All I know is that in France, he seems to be the most popular choice. But I'd like to know about the other countries too.
Apart from French/Spanish/German etc. sites, I'm not quite sure how you'd be able to isolate Isaac's popularity solely into Europe (and that would still exclude British popularity and all the Europeans who just post on English sites). Blame how connected the west is nowadays. :laugh:

Artsy will probably do the more unlikely Nintendo character suggestions than doing Isaac.
Based on the characters he has made so far, I don't think he'll pick Isaac anytime soon.
He said he did Rayman first because of how it'd be easier to make a convincing fake with him, and then did Shovel Knight and Banjo because of demand. I don't see why Isaac wouldn't be one of the next in line.

Coaltergeist

Smash Apprentice

Even more confusing is the fact that his Japanese name is Robin!
PS. you don't know how stoked I was when "Robin" leaked only to have my dreams broken when it turned out to be the Avatar.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I just see him doing more unlikely suggestions since he'll probably think it would be redundant to make Isaac since has a good chance getting as DLC, therefore putting him in low priority in his to do list. He could do it, it just doesn't seem like something he would do very soon.

That's just my viewpoint though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just see him doing more unlikely suggestions since he'll probably think it would be redundant to make Isaac since has a good chance getting as DLC, therefore putting him in low priority in his to do list. He could do it, it just doesn't seem like something he would do very soon.

That's just my viewpoint though.
Well if he indeed is doing unlikely suggestions because they are unlikely I agree with you, but that's not the reason he's given for the characters he's chosen so far, so I still see it as a fair chance.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
To be fair, isn't Robin known as Reflet in Japan? So it wouldn't have overlap over there anyway.

MonopolyRubix

Smash Rookie
I read somewhere that each device that you connect to your internet with has a different IP address, and thus an extra vote on the Smash ballot. Is that true? If so, I'll get on my WiiU and 3DS internet browsers and vote from there, too.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I read somewhere that each device that you connect to your internet with has a different IP address, and thus an extra vote on the Smash ballot. Is that true? If so, I'll get on my WiiU and 3DS internet browsers and vote from there, too.
If they connect through the same router, they have the same IP.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just bought Golden Sun on the eShop, since it's on sale. Not sure if I support Isaac yet (I'm too early in the game to really say for sure; Isaac and Garret just left Vale), but there definitely seems to be a lot of options there for moves between his natural spells, Djinn abilities, and summons.

As far as the game itself goes, one thing that surprised me was how Felix was handled. It seemed pretty obvious that it was he was the masked person who was working with the villains, but I figured that it would be revealed halfway through the game in some dramatic moment where he switches sides, as opposed to partway through the prologue.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
If they connect through the same router, they have the same IP.
Not true. If it were, you could not connect multiple machines through a single router simultaneously. Most routers handle a range of IPs. If you overload it, you'll get an IP conflict when you attempt to attach too many devices. It used to happen at my house whenever someone tried to use the printer, because the printer was another machine and took another IP address. One of us would always be kicked offline when someone went to print because we had a networked printer, and it needed an IP address that was already in use.

I was so glad when we upgraded.

AbsoluteZer0Nova

Smash Cadet
I just bought Golden Sun on the eShop, since it's on sale. Not sure if I support Isaac yet (I'm too early in the game to really say for sure; Isaac and Garret just left Vale), but there definitely seems to be a lot of options there for moves between his natural spells, Djinn abilities, and summons.

As far as the game itself goes, one thing that surprised me was how Felix was handled. It seemed pretty obvious that it was he was the masked person who was working with the villains, but I figured that it would be revealed halfway through the game in some dramatic moment where he switches sides, as opposed to partway through the prologue.
I'm still annoyed we haven't gotten Lost Age over here yet in the eShop, I mean it's almost been a year since we got Golden Sun...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I have seen absolutely no proof that multiple votes from the same IP do not count. If Nintendo was really adamant about blocking multiple votes they would just institute a proper IP lock. Implementing some sort of vote write over system would be more complicated and completely unnecessary. Is there any evidence to the contrary, or are people just being people and running with what others are saying?

MonopolyRubix

Smash Rookie
I have seen absolutely no proof that multiple votes from the same IP do not count. If Nintendo was really adamant about blocking multiple votes they would just institute a proper IP lock. Implementing some sort of vote write over system would be more complicated and completely unnecessary. Is there any evidence to the contrary, or are people just being people and running with what others are saying?
I really couldn't tell you. But I also couldn't tell you that I have the background knowledge to have a meaningful opinion on this kind of stuff, so running with what other people say seems like the best option.
I did vote on my 3DS and WiiU after SkyBlade's post, though.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yea I wonder how they are going to block excessive multiple votes. As in the ones who vote in the same ballot over and over again using the same IP address and same device cause many are doing that as well.

Some people are using multiple devices, some are using multiple sites (UK, US, AU) and some are doing both. They would be harder to block I guess.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yea I wonder how they are going to block excessive multiple votes. As in the ones who vote in the same ballot over and over again using the same IP address and same device cause many are doing that as well.

Some people are using multiple devices, some are using multiple sites (UK, US, AU) and some are doing both. They would be harder to block I guess.
The system will block you after 5 quick votes, but only temporarily. The Japanese poll doesn't say anything different, really. The literal translation of their rules says "every person gets one vote" as opposed to North America's "Please limit your vote to one per person," but I don't think that's a huge deal. It also mentions that characters that are voted on may end up with other in game roles, which is slightly worrisome.

I feel pretty good about Wolf and Isaac, so I'm not too worried either way.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
If it does allow multiple votes from one IP, it almost certainly blocks redundant votes. Voting for five different characters may be fine. But voting for the same character over and over? That has to be blocked or the poll is pointless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom