• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Braydon

Smash Ace
Yes.

Nintendo is a game about celebrating Nintendo's history. Isaac has far more history and a far greater legacy than Matthew. Matthew may not be impossible, but I don't think there is a chance he'll get in over Isaac.
But Matthew is the future, if they make a 4th golden sun he will likely be the main character, and actually the sheer amount of votes for isaac may help nintendo realize we want another golden sun.

Anyway last I checked Isaac and Matthew are the same person with different clothes.

Calane

Smash Ace
Yes.

Nintendo is a game about celebrating Nintendo's history. Isaac has far more history and a far greater legacy than Matthew. Matthew may not be impossible, but I don't think there is a chance he'll get in over Isaac.
...Eh. I can see it happening. I don't believe it will, but there's a chance, especially if Camelot requested it. Also, I don't think the "SSB is about celebrating Nintendo's history" thing really works for this particular Smash. I mean look at the characters on your icon. They have almost no history with Nintendo and are fairly recent characters in the Fire Emblem series. They're only in the game because of how recent and relevant that they currently are. If Sakurai was more concerned about celebrating the past generation of FE instead of the newest installment, I would have expected Micaiah instead of Robin. I would have also expected more historical Nintendo characters to be added, but instead we got more recent, more relevant newcomers this Smash. Anyway, I agree, Matt probably won't happen (maybe an alt, though), but I don't think Isaac being a part of Nintendo history would be the reason. It'd be because Isaac's more popular than Matt. I honestly have no preference for one or the other, but I know many people feel strongly about it. Any GS character would make me happy. We could get Felix for all I care, I just want GS in Smash 4.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Am I the only one who thinks that if isaac is popular enough they will add his freakishly identical child Matthew instead?
Wouldn't surprise me, Matthew is more in line with the trend of including characters with recent impacts instead of general importance, but I assume either way we'll wind up with the other as an alt.

"Tumblr"

Oh boy, I can't wait for the potential Isaac x Link imagery that will ensue after he's in Smash. :rolleyes:
Well if people create some epic team ups or heated battles I would love that.

Wouldn't go to Tumblr if I wanted to see two of some of my favorite characters anyway. I don't wanna ruin my childhood. :smirk:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'd be surprised if we got Matthew over Isaac really. Matthew just doesn't have to same pull Isaac does.

For one thing they're so similar we could really have both with one being an alt of the other....and if you're going to include Isaac you might as well make him the default since he's vastly more popular. He's going to sell better.

Can you imagine Matthew being sold on his own as character dlc? (It would be even more silly if Isaac was an alt hidden away from the shop page)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd be surprised if we got Matthew over Isaac really. Matthew just doesn't have to same pull Isaac does.

For one thing they're so similar we could really have both with one being an alt of the other....and if you're going to include Isaac you might as well make him the default since he's vastly more popular. He's going to sell better.

Can you imagine Matthew being sold on his own as character dlc? (It would be even more silly if Isaac was an alt hidden away from the shop page)
That's true. For as much as the recent additions have favoured the... well... recent, with DLC you are still trying to sell the character first and foremost, and Isaac definitely has more pull and prevalence than Matthew. It makes a lot more sense financially to make him the default.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You can add me to the support list. Isaac, Roy, and K. Rool are the three characters I legitimately want to see be implemented as DLC.

Would be nice if Isaac had a Felix alt if he were introduced though.

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
Older Isaac could be a possibility as well, considering how they changed Samus, Marth and Ike to their up to date versions (awakening doesn't count because their appareance there is not cannon), but still hoping for having the young version that we all known. still, if we end getting the older one, he possibly got a dark outfit alt.....really makes me thinK on AC Cloud/Wesker/Neo

Another guess is that we could get some Golden Sun based mii costumes, having 3 of them (Young Isaac, Felix and Matthew for Swordmen)

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
But Matthew is the future, if they make a 4th golden sun he will likely be the main character, and actually the sheer amount of votes for isaac may help nintendo realize we want another golden sun.
To be honest, I doubt that Matthew will be THE protagonist for GS4. He might be playable, sure, but the series has been hinting since GS:TLA that Susa's son will play a role in the events to come and this is especially pointed out in DD. Also considering the ending of DD, there is no exact "start" point for the next game.

Dark Dawn ending spoilers ahead:

The entire party has disbanded. Sveta has become queen of Belinsk, Eoleo and Himi have gone to their respective towns, Amiti has returned to Ayuthay, Rief has gone back to journeying with Kraden while the initial trio have returned back home, to find the Mourning Moon floating near Isaac's home, with Isaac and Garet supposedly absent. If we were to have GS4 continuing with Matthew,Tyrell and Karis, it would be too similar to GS3 with them setting out again and collecting party members. In my opinion, the view would either switch over to a person like Takeru or hopefully to an older party member from GS and GS:TLA.

The ending is definitely a cliffhanger but I doubt that Matthew would so easily continue it.

And Isaac has more history anyway so he belongs in the game more.

Older Isaac could be a possibility as well, considering how they changed Samus, Marth and Ike to their up to date versions (awakening doesn't count because their appareance there is not cannon), but still hoping for having the young version that we all known. still, if we end getting the older one, he possibly got a dark outfit alt.....really makes me thinK on AC Cloud/Wesker/Neo

Another guess is that we could get some Golden Sun based mii costumes, having 3 of them (Young Isaac, Felix and Matthew for Swordmen)
That makes me support Older Isaac as a character or alt even more.

Edit:

He is THE (Wise) One we need!

Last edited:

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
The nice thing that I like about Isaac when it comes to his moves is he has so many potential possibilities with the vast array of Psyenergy at his disposal. He can have earth has his defaults, and then go to other elements for his customs!

Yes.

I can see Matthew MAYBE being alternative costumes (like Olimar). Although I'd rather see old Isaac as his alternatives instead of Matthew. Just because old Isaac looked so effing badass.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The nice thing that I like about Isaac when it comes to his moves is he has so many potential possibilities with the vast array of Psyenergy at his disposal. He can have earth has his defaults, and then go to other elements for his customs!
Ooh, customs...

Honestly, though. Even with customs, Isaac still breaks the systems with how much potential he has. I mean, I could create a full move set, and full customs, for just Psynergy. Or just Djinn. Maybe not QUITE on just weapon unleashes... You'd have to get creative with them, but it would probably work. So many options.

I can see Matthew MAYBE being alternative costumes (like Olimar). Although I'd rather see old Isaac as his alternatives instead of Matthew. Just because old Isaac looked so effing badass.
Yeah, I can see Matthew being an alt costume. I can't see him getting in over Isaac. Isaac has more selling power, and more demand.

WolfS2

Smash Rookie
My last post on Smashboards was in 2007. I found my old account again just to say that I support Isaac getting in 100%. He was THE newcomer I wanted in both Brawl and Smash 4, and am happy that this could be his chance to finally make it in.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just when I thought I couldn't want Isaac more, I realize that this might be my best shot to get Kirby in a scarf.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Ooh, customs...

Honestly, though. Even with customs, Isaac still breaks the systems with how much potential he has. I mean, I could create a full move set, and full customs, for just Psynergy. Or just Djinn. Maybe not QUITE on just weapon unleashes... You'd have to get creative with them, but it would probably work. So many options.
I don't think the weapon unleashes would be as good as the psyenergies. I think the psyenergies are more central. Weapon unleashes come and go, the Psyenergies stay around.

Also, Judgement would make an awesome Final Smash.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I don't think the weapon unleashes would be as good as the psyenergies. I think the psyenergies are more central. Weapon unleashes come and go, the Psyenergies stay around.

Also, Judgement would make an awesome Final Smash.
Oh, admitted. I'm just saying, there are so many different options for Isaac that it's ridiculous.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I prefer young Isaac over everyone, but I'll be ecstatic to see any Golden Sun character on the roster. All the possibilities have their appeal. Young Isaac is iconic (dat scarf), Matthew is the fresh face, and adult Isaac has the awesome coat.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I prefer young Isaac over everyone, but I'll be ecstatic to see any Golden Sun character on the roster. All the possibilities have their appeal. Young Isaac is iconic (dat scarf), Matthew is the fresh face, and adult Isaac has the awesome coat.
Hmm so here is a question:

Young Isaac with badass coat or Adult Isaac with dat scarf?

Calane

Smash Ace
Agreed. I think young Isaac is the best choice for a GS character in Smash 4 but, like you, would be happy to see any GS character on the roster. But anyway, I have a question for everyone. If we got an assist trophy from Golden Sun added if/when Isaac gets in, who would you want it to be? I'd want it to be Sveta.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Agreed. I think young Isaac is the best choice for a GS character in Smash 4 but, like you, would be happy to see any GS character on the roster. But anyway, I have a question for everyone. If we got an assist trophy from Golden Sun added if/when Isaac gets in, who would you want it to be? I'd want it to be Sveta.
Sveta is a pretty good choice! Mine would be the Wise One, or Karst. Karst would swing her scythe and cast fire Psynergy, but I don't know what could the Wise One do, other than making people wonder "Is that a boulder with an eye?".
Transforming the player that summoned it into a dragon seems a little bit off, even if it would be cool.

Coaltergeist

Smash Apprentice
How bitchin' would it be to get old Isaac? Plus he's a lot more powerful than he was in 1 and 2: better suited for smash

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Seems less likely than a Matthew alt tbh. It would change the proportions of the character too much...

And as for it being the default look I think we can forget about that, they'd go with the most iconic. Samus, Marth and Ike might go with their more recent designs, but they still look very similar to their usual appearance, whereas the same can't be said for adult Isaac.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Sveta is a pretty good choice! Mine would be the Wise One, or Karst. Karst would swing her scythe and cast fire Psynergy, but I don't know what could the Wise One do, other than making people wonder "Is that a boulder with an eye?".
Transforming the player that summoned it into a dragon seems a little bit off, even if it would be cool.
I guess people's initial reaction would be like this:

Garet : That rock... It's floating... Do you know what it is, Isaac?

- Yes

Garet : Yeah, I know it's a rock, stupid!

Young Isaac with both.
Actually I was not implying a trade but the other getting the missing item. I guess I should have stated, Young Isaac with both or adult Isaac with both.

Am I the only one starting to lean towards adult Isaac as a preferred choice? I did want his younger design earlier but now adult Isaac sounds awesome!

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Adult Isaac isn't the Isaac I love. He's not the Isaac I spent a year playing as. He's in the series for about fifteen minutes. Sure, he's awesome, but he's not as iconic.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The thing about adult Isaac is he's not even recognizably Isaac to people who haven't played DD.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I wouldn't like adult Isaac and I think he'd be a really odd choice. He didn't even have an important role in Dark Dawn.

You could say he would be more "relevant" but he wouldn't be iconic, heck he's not even all that iconic among Golden Sun fans.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I don't really get why people keep saying that only Young Isaac has "Dat Scarf" when he's very obviously given it to his son. Matthew is WEARING IT.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Dude, if Isaac got in with that look and that palette I think I'd have to switch mains. Such Wesker.

Last edited:

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Personally I think they might combine all his appearances together if he did get in. Young isaac with a cool coat and a scarf
Well that's kind of what happened with Snake in Brawl I think. It was his MGS1 appearance but with the beard from MGS2, or something like that.

Young Isaac with the beard. Only person in this thread who despises older Isaac.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday I was looking all the swords that Isaac could equip.

Which sword do you think he should use ?
• Sol Blade : the ultimate weapon, has an unique design, and they could give Meggido as a projectile attack to Isaac.
• Excalibur : the second most powerful weapon. Isaac could use Legends
• Default Long Sword : a default weapon, like in SSBB
• Another one ?

Which one would you prefer ? For me it would be the Sol Blade. Link for references : http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Long_Swords

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
I'm honestly confused as to why people expect Adult Isaac or Matthew more than 16-17 year old Isaac. It's clear that they'll go for what's the most iconic look for a new character from an unrepresented series to Smash before going for their new look- which would only be likely if he carried over to Smash 5, and if Golden Sun 4 puts a lot of emphasis on Adult Isaac- similarly to how Ike changed from Brawl to Smash 4. Plus, if he gets in, they're gonna advertise Golden Sun in the eShop, and specifically everyone has access to the first game. (And then there's you lucky jerks with The Lost Age...)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
How *****in' would it be to get old Isaac? Plus he's a lot more powerful than he was in 1 and 2: better suited for smash
Not very. He might be more powerful, but that doesn't matter in Smash. Everybody who knows Isaac knows his GS1/2 design, that's the popular one, that's the one in which he was the main character, that's the one that matters.

Yesterday I was looking all the swords that Isaac could equip.

Which sword do you think he should use ?
• Sol Blade : the ultimate weapon, has an unique design, and they could give Meggido as a projectile attack to Isaac.
• Excalibur : the second most powerful weapon. Isaac could use Legends
• Default Long Sword : a default weapon, like in SSBB
• Another one ?

Which one would you prefer ? For me it would be the Sol Blade. Link for references : http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Long_Swords
I think he's probably going to get the default long sword. That doesn't mean he couldn't use unleash effects though, Smash doesn't exactly strictly adhere to canon.

I'm honestly confused as to why people expect Adult Isaac or Matthew more than 16-17 year old Isaac. It's clear that they'll go for what's the most iconic look for a new character from an unrepresented series to Smash before going for their new look- which would only be likely if he carried over to Smash 5, and if Golden Sun 4 puts a lot of emphasis on Adult Isaac- similarly to how Ike changed from Brawl to Smash 4. Plus, if he gets in, they're gonna advertise Golden Sun in the eShop, and specifically everyone has access to the first game. (And then there's you lucky jerks with The Lost Age...)
Recency mostly. Getting Matthew over Isaac on the main roster might've carried a bit of weight since they clearly went with the post-Brawl years for newcomers, but now that the individual characters will be the sole selling point it pretty much has to be teenage Isaac.

Last edited:

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
I think that Isaac should be the main representative of Golden Sun (not Adult Isaac, just Isaac, or Young Isaac as some like to say). Matthew could easily be an alt, as for clothes changes, I'm not that sure (Ike could also have had the Vanguard armour as a custom, but he didn't).

Cosmetics asides, I would be extremely hype if Isaac made it in, no matter if they choose the normal one or the adult one.

Top Bottom