• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Apollyon

Smash Apprentice
Golden Sun just needs a good team that knows how to make the game like the old ones and Nintendo needs to start backing the series for it to take off.
I disagree, while yeah making a throwback to the old games would make a game "successful" to an extent, you can't exactly call that progress. I'd rather see something out of the box brilliant than something "so-so" like Dark Dawn was received. However Nintendo does need to back Golden Sun more.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I guess you can say there's "no full confirmation" if you wish, but honestly, Andrew from GameExplain's comments are full confirmation enough for me. He cleared almost the entire Challenge board and unlocked almost everything in the game and found no signs of any Wii U exclusive AT's at all. If there were any, we would have known about it. The question wasn't on embargo or anything, either.
That simply isn't enough for me to put my fears to rest. A confirmation would have been "We have gotten the message that we unlocked all Assist Trophies, there are no Wii U exclusives/Isaac isn't present".

It's just too weird that Isaac would no longer be an Assist Trophy when there was actually an increase in the amount of songs. I must have real confirmation that he isn't there before I will get on the hope for DLC bandwagon.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I disagree, while yeah making a throwback to the old games would make a game "successful" to an extent, you can't exactly call that progress. I'd rather see something out of the box brilliant than something "so-so" like Dark Dawn was received. However Nintendo does need to back Golden Sun more.
I don't mean just like the old ones, but make them in terms of quality like the old games.

Golden Sun is the type of series that has the power and potential to be a main Nintendo series, but lacks exposure and willingness to make it one.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Xenoblade still isn't bigger than GS, though. GS is definitely above Xenoblade. Until Xenoblade proves its success with the latest installments, its still not as big as GS at this point.

Also, that listing is WAY out of place. It should look more like this:

1. :4mario:
  2. :4pikachu:
  3. :4link:
  4. :4dk:
  5. :4villager:
  6. :4kirby:
  7. :4samus:
  8. :4fox:
  9. :4yoshi:
  10. :4wario:
  11. :4marth:
  12. :4olimar:
  13. :4falcon:
  14. :4littlemac:
  15. :4pit:
  16. Golden Sun
  17. :4ness:
  18. :4shulk:
  19. Advance Wars

Believe it or not, guys, the Mother series is not really all that successful. The ONLY reason I left it above Xenoblade is because X isn't out yet, but if X and Chronicles 3D prove to be very successful it'll jump above Mother for sure.

Yes, DK is way bigger than Kirby, and Pokemon is way bigger than Zelda. The "Wii" series of games could potentially be added onto this as well, I suppose. They'd be above Zelda. However, they were mostly applied to the casual market, and their lasting appeal is basically dead.

This exactly. As I heard, Nintendo was basically begging Camelot to make another GS game after GS2. There's a ton still to be explored in GS. We don't need a reboot, we just need the franchise to be continued and explored more.

Perhaps once we get GS4 and the series becomes more popular again, they can look into exploring the franchise in other ways. The main thing we need is GS4 to be successful again, and we can get the games more often. Ideally, every 4 years at least. If need-be it'd be nice for Camelot to get help from other Nintendo developers.

I can see a GS PREQUEL happening, to lead up into the events of the first game by focusing on the wars that first caused the Golden Sun to be sealed. But not a full-on reboot.
That's a little bias, Xenoblade is more important as of now because it's got a really well received game already out, a character In smash, a 3DS remake coming out, and a new game on Wii U. And on the reboot, it seems like after Dark Dawn the story began to get unnecessarily conveluted. That's why I personally think it should be rebooted. Edit: I'm digging the prequel idea.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The thing is, there's so many different ways GS can be expanded.

1.) Prequel to showcase what happened to the world in the first place.
2.) Showcase what happened after the rise of the Golden Sun.
3.) Focus on events happening elsewhere in the world at the same time as the main events.

And of course just continue where Dark Dawn left off. ^^

That simply isn't enough for me to put my fears to rest. A confirmation would have been "We have gotten the message that we unlocked all Assist Trophies, there are no Wii U exclusives/Isaac isn't present".

It's just too weird that Isaac would no longer be an Assist Trophy when there was actually an increase in the amount of songs. I must have real confirmation that he isn't there before I will get on the hope for DLC bandwagon.
I've heard that Jam with the Band actually has a track in the game as well.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
That's a little bias, Xenoblade is more important as of now because it's got a really well received game already out, a character I'm smash, a 3DS remake coming out, and a new game on Wii U. And on the reboot, it seems like after Dark Dawn the story began to get unnecessarily conveluted. That's why I personally think it should be rebooted.
I agree with you about the Xenoblade part, but not on the Golden Sun part.

Dark Dawn just needs the cliffhanger sorted out in the next game not a reboot.

The thing is, there's so many different ways GS can be expanded.

1.) Prequel to showcase what happened to the world in the first place.
2.) Showcase what happened after the rise of the Golden Sun.
3.) Focus on events happening elsewhere in the world at the same time as the main events.

And of course just continue where Dark Dawn left off. ^^
There are many ways that Golden Sun can be expanded. Personally, I think if Nintendo decides to pick Golden Sun back up things will go like this:

1. Dark Dawn's Cliffhanger gets resolved.
  2. Focusing on events elsewhere in the world would probably be released with the fourth GS, depending on if the events in the game is directly related to that in the events of Dark Dawn.
When you say the "rise of the Golden Sun" do you mean the events taking place before or after the war? That mainly determines what order we could get the games in.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I agree with you about the Xenoblade part, but not on the Golden Sun part.

Dark Dawn just needs the cliffhanger sorted out in the next game not a reboot.
Personal opinion, ya know? I think they could continue where it left off but will the characters remain interesting? I'm not so sure. I just hope the next Golden Sun is announced in the next direct. Speaking of which, January or December direct?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Personal opinion, ya know? I think they could continue where it left off but will the characters remain interesting? I'm not so sure. I just hope the next Golden Sun is announced in the next direct. Speaking of which, January or December direct?
Personal opinion or not, leaving such a cliffhanger in the series would leave some events unresolved. Rebooting the series would require resorting back to Golden Sun 1 Isaac (if we continue to have Isaac as a character, unless you want to use his adult form) or to use a different protagonist altogether if you are not willing to continue using Matthew.

I would be surprised if Nintendo held any Direct concerning Golden Sun.

If we do get a direct that talks about Golden Sun then Nintendo would have done so because of wanting extra money.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
That's pretty spot on I must say. And after all those we have more obscure franchises like Murasame Castle, StarTropics, and Glory of Heracles, all of which I am a fan of. I'm hoping Nintendo revives some more series like they did with Kid Icarus and Donkey Kong Country, and although Golden Sun isn't technically dead I'd like to see it rebooted.
Whoa hold your horses! No reboot!

Although I wouldn't mind retconning Dark Dawn ;) (just kidding) I do admit that It did mess up the storyline somewhat and was not the sequel that people were expecting.

A remake could have been on the cards if GS 1 and 2 were not already on the virtual console. It would have been nice to have all 3 games in a single, new package. That would be a decent entry point for the series. Atleast remakes get more attention than VC releases, that is for sure. Plus in remakes they can fix some loop holes without rebooting entirely.

GS needs to be become more than it was to be successful. Dark Dawn tried copying the older formula and received a lukewarm response. I want GS to remain as it is on the core, but it needs something more! It needs some quality though.

And Nintendo definitely needs to wake up regarding it. Golden Sun has tons of potential but they have failed to realise it.

That's a little bias, Xenoblade is more important as of now because it's got a really well received game already out, a character In smash, a 3DS remake coming out, and a new game on Wii U. And on the reboot, it seems like after Dark Dawn the story began to get unnecessarily conveluted. That's why I personally think it should be rebooted. Edit: I'm digging the prequel idea.
Actually it is not bias on our end but on Nintendo's end. Xenoblade as of before Shulk's reveal was in the end a smaller series than Golden Sun. It had sold less copies and was not even going to be ported outside Japan (oh the horror!). It benefitted because it came in a time period where JRPGs have started to lack and was on the few good RPGs on the Wii. Plus Monolith Soft is now a first party developer, whereas Camelot remains 2nd party. It now definitely is going to exceed Golden Sun till a GS4 comes out due to all the attention on Xenoblade Chronicles X, New 3DS port and Shulk in Smash. The only way for GS to regain its top spot is to get Isaac in Smash and a new game announcement.

Nintendo failed to capitalize on Golden Sun's popularity when it was big in around 2003, and got Camelot to release a game too late, and one that failed to recapture the imagination and interest of gamers as its predecessors had. They need to buck up, help Camelot make the game rather than leave them to their own resources. Advertise it, make it the next big thing and see it pick up!

If something like Golden Sun gets the attention that Nintendo is giving Xenoblade, it will definitely rise and shine! They need to treat it more like the 1st/2nd party IP it is!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Neither, February. I'd expect a new Direct in February.

The problem is, Xenoblade is currently at the height of its popularity. We don't know how things are going to go from here.

I will agree, though, that it should at least be higher than Mother. So I'd move Xenoblade above Mother. What if it turns out GS4 is in development, though? That's already a fourth game in the series, when Xenoblade is only getting its second, and both the first two GS games sold more than Xenoblade.

GS is definitely still bigger than Xenoblade (at this point in time), but its not at the height of its popularity, of course. Xenoblade's upcoming games puts it above Mother, since Mother is a dead franchise.

Personal opinion or not, leaving such a cliffhanger in the series would leave some events unresolved. Rebooting the series would require resorting back to Golden Sun 1 Isaac (if we continue to have Isaac as a character, unless you want to use his adult form) or to use a different protagonist altogether if you are not willing to continue using Matthew.

I would be surprised if Nintendo held any Direct concerning Golden Sun.

If we do get a direct that talks about Golden Sun then Nintendo would have done so because of wanting extra money.
I think what he means is a general Nintendo Direct that announces the next Golden Sun game. Of course we're not going to get a GS direct anytime soon. If GS4 is happening, though, it could get a Direct shortly before the game comes out.

One possibility is, they might want to wait until Xenoblade Chronicles X releases in at least Japan before starting to talk about their next big RPG. So we might not get info until E3. Although, I would like at least a teaser saying GS4 is coming prior.

Whoa hold your horses! No reboot!

Although I wouldn't mind retconning Dark Dawn ;) (just kidding) I do admit that It did mess up the storyline somewhat and was not the sequel that people were expecting.

A remake could have been on the cards if GS 1 and 2 were not already on the virtual console. It would have been nice to have all 3 games in a single, new package. That would be a decent entry point for the series. Atleast remakes get more attention than VC releases, that is for sure. Plus in remakes they can fix some loop holes without rebooting entirely.

GS needs to be become more than it was to be successful. Dark Dawn tried copying the older formula and received a lukewarm response. I want GS to remain as it is on the core, but it needs something more! It needs some quality though.

And Nintendo definitely needs to wake up regarding it. Golden Sun has tons of potential but they have failed to realise it.

Actually it is not bias on our end but on Nintendo's end. Xenoblade as of before Shulk's reveal was in the end a smaller series than Golden Sun. It had sold less copies and was not even going to be ported outside Japan (oh the horror!). It benefitted because it came in a time period where JRPGs have started to lack and was on the few good RPGs on the Wii. Plus Monolith Soft is now a first party developer, whereas Camelot remains 2nd party. It now definitely is going to exceed Golden Sun till a GS4 comes out due to all the attention on Xenoblade Chronicles X, New 3DS port and Shulk in Smash. The only way for GS to regain its top spot is to get Isaac in Smash and a new game announcement.

Nintendo failed to capitalize on Golden Sun's popularity when it was big in around 2003, and got Camelot to release a game too late, and one that failed to recapture the imagination and interest of gamers as its predecessors had. They need to buck up, help Camelot make the game rather than leave them to their own resources. Advertise it, make it the next big thing and see it pick up!

If something like Golden Sun gets the attention that Nintendo is giving Xenoblade, it will definitely rise and shine! They need to treat it more like the 1st/2nd party IP it is!
Golden Sun is first party. Camelot is a third-party developer with a contract to develop only games for Nintendo. There is no such thing as "second-party," that's a made-up term on the internet and it needs to be dropped. Saying "second-party" raises more confusion than it helps. The only thing it does is attempt to differentiate between different types of first-party games, but its WAY too confusing because its not a real term, so no one knows what the hell it actually means.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Golden Sun is first party. Camelot is a third-party developer with a contract to develop only games for Nintendo. There is no such thing as "second-party," that's a made-up term on the internet and it needs to be dropped. Saying "second-party" raises more confusion than it helps. The only thing it does is attempt to differentiate between different types of first-party games, but its WAY too confusing because its not a real term, so no one knows what the hell it actually means.
Well I do want to say first party but some people might disagree (a certain Prince Sable supporter who keeps nitpicking Isaac's chances). The characters and all are owned by Nintendo but the IP is jointly owned by Nintendo and Camelot.

Nintendo's IPs are obviously first party but Camelot is a 3rd party who primarily works with Nintendo to make exclusive games.

But yea, GS needs to be treated like the 1st party game it is. And Nintendo needs to help Camelot with GS4!
I will agree, though, that it should at least be higher than Mother. So I'd move Xenoblade above Mother. What if it turns out GS4 is in development, though? That's already a fourth game in the series, when Xenoblade is only getting its second, and both the first two GS games sold more than Xenoblade.

GS is definitely still bigger than Xenoblade (at this point in time), but its not at the height of its popularity, of course. Xenoblade's upcoming games puts it above Mother, since Mother is a dead franchise.
The thing is people with no knowledge of GS love to ignore that fact.

They love to state that Xenoblade is now bigger than Golden Sun due to Shulk's inclusion in Smash and Isaac's absence. Just because Golden Sun is not at the height of its popularity and had a less successful recent game doesn't mean it is "dead". Golden Sun is sadly ignored by the majority (most of which are clamoring towards Xenoblade), and is stated to be "irrelevant".

I love me some Xenoblade but Golden Sun definitely needs to be back. Cause it is even better :)

I can agree on the comment about Nintendo being unwilling to announce GS4. Especially if the future game is on Wii U. Even if not, a GS4 might cut into their Xenoblade port sales and a Wii U game might cut into Xenoblade Chronicles X's sales. I sincerely hope that is the case and that we are astounded in the future!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Not to mention that Monolith Soft used to be a developer for PS2 games, which garnered attention because of Console/Fanboy Wars and how people started flocking to Nintendo acquiring Monolith Soft because of said console/fanboy wars.

The biggest factor in Xenoblade's popularity was because of 'Operation Rainfall' and Xenoblade Chronicles was a part of that movement to localize more Japanese Nintendo games.

Nintendo barely had to fight for Xenoblade to rise in popularity amongst its heavy franchises. Nintendo just had to take Shulk and run with him.

The main problem with Golden Sun and its popularity is because GS had Old Nintendo backing it up (the one that never made bold moves like the Nintendo of today). Xenoblade had today's Nintendo backing it up.

Main differences between the Nintendos:

• Old Nintendo = Unwilling to take any risks unless it involves a major series and major pay offs.
  • New Nintendo = Willing to take some risks at an attempt to establish new franchises, just look at Splatoon for example.

Exactly. Golden Sun had to fight tooth and nail to get where it is today; whereas, Xenoblade only had to be at the right place at the right time (no negativity towards Monolith Soft of course).

Heck, Golden Sun only got recognized by major audiences because of Isaac's Assist Trophy role in Brawl (sadly, that is the only reason I know of Golden Sun as no one I knew had it while growing up).

Isaac becoming a playable character in Super Smash Brothers automatically bumps up his status and popularity, because of his exposure and how Nintendo is willing to treat him. Isaac being in Smash Brothers as playable means that Nintendo is saying that Golden Sun is big enough to play with the most important Nintendo franchises. Seriously, how can you get more recognizable than being in the same game with Mario himself?

To all Golden Sun Fans: Maybe the answer to Golden Sun's popularity problem could be a full Console release?

Do you guys think a Console Release of the series would help the franchise?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Not to mention that Monolith Soft used to be a developer for PS2 games, which garnered attention because of Console/Fanboy Wars and how people started flocking to Nintendo acquiring Monolith Soft because of said console/fanboy wars.

The biggest factor in Xenoblade's popularity was because of 'Operation Rainfall' and Xenoblade Chronicles was a part of that movement to localize more Japanese Nintendo games.

Nintendo barely had to fight for Xenoblade to rise in popularity amongst its heavy franchises. Nintendo just had to take Shulk and run with him.

The main problem with Golden Sun and its popularity is because GS had Old Nintendo backing it up (the one that never made bold moves like the Nintendo of today). Xenoblade had today's Nintendo backing it up.

Main differences between the Nintendos:

• Old Nintendo = Unwilling to take any risks unless it involves a major series and major pay offs.
  • New Nintendo = Willing to take some risks at an attempt to establish new franchises, just look at Splatoon for example.
Exactly. Golden Sun had to fight tooth and nail to get where it is today; whereas, Xenoblade only had to be at the right place at the right time (no negativity towards Monolith Soft of course).

Isaac becoming a playable character in Super Smash Brothers automatically bumps up his status and popularity, because of his exposure and how Nintendo is willing to treat him. Isaac being in Smash Brothers as playable means that Nintendo is saying that Golden Sun is big enough to play with the most important Nintendo franchises. Seriously, how can you get more recognizable than being in the same game with Mario himself?
Xenoblade is a really good game, I agree on that. One of the best games I have played recently BUT it is getting way more attention than it would have, if it was in the same time as GS. Operation Rainfall really helped out to create Shulk awareness in the West and made him immensely popular before his game was even ported. Admittedly, the game was amazing so that effect multiplied and now Nintendo is making a spiritual sequel and showing it off a lot. Plus they gave Shulk a Smash appearance (despite only one game, a rarity) and are porting his game to New 3DS (an HD re-release would have been better but wouldn't have happened, due to X).

I agree on the Old Nintendo and New Nintendo adage. The bad thing is that Nintendo is still being "old" with Golden Sun as far as we know (GS4 may be on the cards, but we don't know). All the attention so far has been on Xenoblade as their next super RPG but no GS. The only thing we got was a chance to speculate as Isaac is absent from Smash Bros completely and a new track from Dark Dawn.

Nintendo just needed to take a little risk and put him in Smash. As a pack in character, not DLC. It would be amazing to get Isaac as DLC but think about the popularity that could have been restored to GS if he had been revealed like how Robin and Lucina were?

Obviously, having an appearance now would really help as well. Seeing Dark Dawn's soundtrack on one of Sakurai's biased stages gives me a lot of hope.

To all Golden Sun Fans: Maybe the answer to Golden Sun's popularity problem could be a full Console release?

Do you guys think a Console Release of the series would help the franchise?
GS does originally belong on handheld, but a console release would help out. It could be big scale, large, and amazing. Plus it would show that Nintendo is willing to make GS a big thing. Console games in general tend to be more popular (Pokemon is the biggest exception). Xenoblade might be porting to handheld but it was a Wii game.

I for one, would buy a GS4 regardless of console. I would be absolutely spellbound if it is on Wii U though! It could be much bigger than Nintendo has ever made, easily bigger than the first Xenoblade.

(Sorry I am being lost for words while I imagine the marvel of GS in HD)

But Camelot won't be able to manage.

Nintendo has to take the reins of GS in its hands, with more seriousness.

Heck, Golden Sun only got recognized by major audiences because of Isaac's Assist Trophy role in Brawl (sadly, that is the only reason I know of Golden Sun as no one I knew had it while growing up).
Luckily, a friend introduced me to GS so I had atleast one friend. Ironically, he is no more a huge GS fan, as far as I know. I did introduce it to my sister though, and recommend it all of my friends. (only 1 started it though...)

Edit: I just noticed how much a wall of text I posted....

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I feel like Shulk also had timing on his side. I mean, Xenoblade Chronicles was out in 2010 I think, was met with critical acclaim and attention, and probably all the buzz was still on while Sakurai was deciding on characters. And as he did research as to which games were under development, Xenoblade Chronicles X was one of them (I'd assume), so the franchise had continuation -> Shulk was a good choice of a character. Dark Dawn did also come out in 2010, sure, but it wasn't as successful as the first two games and probably didn't create much hype: basically, it was left in Xenoblade Chronicles's shadow. And a new GS game probably wasn't under development at that point either, so that's another drawback.

I think that if a new, good, successful GS game had come out between Melee and Brawl, say, in 2004-2005, after The Lost Age, Isaac might have gotten in as playable in Brawl already. But the timing has always kinda sucked with GS haha! I mean, the first two games just missed any Melee-representation, and then were probably thought to be too "outdated" for anything more than an AT in Brawl. Then Dark Dawn comes along, after Brawl, but is a question mark as of now, though it looks like all we get is a song from it so far haha. Anyway, I hope a GS4 is on it's way - maybe Sakurai and company weren't aware of one being in development until a later point which is why the work on Isaac started later and thus will be added as DLC. Merely speculation and a bit of straw-grasping of course.

GS4 better happen though.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I feel like Shulk also had timing on his side. I mean, Xenoblade Chronicles was out in 2010 I think, was met with critical acclaim and attention, and probably all the buzz was still on while Sakurai was deciding on characters. And as he did research as to which games were under development, Xenoblade Chronicles X was one of them (I'd assume), so the franchise had continuation -> Shulk was a good choice of a character. Dark Dawn did also come out in 2010, sure, but it wasn't as successful as the first two games and probably didn't create much hype: basically, it was left in Xenoblade Chronicles's shadow. And a new GS game probably wasn't under development at that point either, so that's another drawback.
Yup Shulk was pretty lucky.

In reference to my previous post, I don't need something with graphics similar to Xenoblade Chronicles X if GS comes out on console.

Something like this would suffice!

Tales of Golden Sun :) (I still have to try a Tales of _____ game)

Edit: I primarily meant the graphics guys. I haven't played any of the Tales of ____ games so I can't say anything about the gameplay. Plus more character development is always a plus point!

Last edited:

Apollyon

Smash Apprentice

In reference to my previous post, I don't need something with graphics similar to Xenoblade Chronicles X if GS comes out on console.

Honestly, I could see the Golden Sun series turning toward "Tales of" gameplay. Y'know, make it more "mainstream" for the kiddies. (Or should I say "diversify the demographic?")

Jokes aside, Honestly would be interested to see GS4 take the Tales approach. More character development during small events over exposition.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, I could see the Golden Sun series turning toward "Tales of" gameplay. Y'know, make it more "mainstream" for the kiddies. (Or should I say "diversify the demographic?")

Jokes aside, Honestly would be interested to see GS4 take the Tales approach. More character development during small events over exposition.
I don't want the gameplay to change radically, but I'd love an anime cel-shaded style graphics, and things similar to skits to help develop the characters better.

I don't want to change the gameplay from turn-based to action-based, but I wouldn't mind evolutions to the turn-based gameplay either.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Nintendo just needed to take a little risk and put him in Smash. As a pack in character, not DLC. It would be amazing to get Isaac as DLC but think about the popularity that could have been restored to GS if he had been revealed like how Robin and Lucina were?
Obviously, having an appearance now would really help as well. Seeing Dark Dawn's soundtrack on one of Sakurai's biased stages gives me a lot of hope.
Having Isaac in the game, pack-in or not, would do wonders for the Golden Sun series. Isaac may not get a trailer, to the dismay of his fanbase (myself included), but just being playable would be enough for me.

But Camelot won't be able to manage.

Nintendo has to take the reins of GS in its hands, with more seriousness.
The problem with Camelot, from what I have heard, is that many key developers in the Golden Sun franchise have left Camelot and Nintendo; however, this does not spell doom for the series.

This is what Golden Sun needs for a Console release, in my opinion:

1. Nintendo willing to push the Golden Sun series forward.
  2. Someone from Camelot who has worked on the original games for story related purposes.
  3. Have some game developers from Brownie Brown (now 1-UP Studios) to work on the game, since Brownie Brown has experience in classical RPGs (Magical Vacation, Magical Starsign, Mother 3, Fantasy Life).
  4. Get some employees from Monolith Soft to work on it.
My version of the game turns out to be like Dragon Quest 8 Journey of the Cursed King.

Wouldn't Tales of Golden Sun deviate too much from the main series, or would it just be a spin off series?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Meh, personally, consideirng that the 3DS is much more successful than the Wii U (as well as GS being the type of game that I feel is more suited for a portable experience), I think making a hypothetical GS4 for the 3DS (and New 3DS, both downloadable and retail) is the best way,especially to ensure the success of the franchise.

Staarih

Smash Master
Meh, personally, consideirng that the 3DS is much more successful than the Wii U (as well as GS being the type of game that I feel is more suited for a portable experience), I think making a hypothetical GS4 for the 3DS (and New 3DS, both downloadable and retail) is the best way,especially to ensure the success of the franchise.
Agreed. I'm not sure if GS is ready for a console jump just yet, and I assume it has a much better shot of being successful on the 3DS. And I don't know, there's a charm in Golden Sun being handheld-exclusive anyway.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
This is what Golden Sun needs for a Console release, in my opinion:

1. Nintendo willing to push the Golden Sun series forward.
  2. Someone from Camelot who has worked on the original games for story related purposes.
  3. Have some game developers from Brownie Brown (now 1-UP Studios) to work on the game, since Brownie Brown has experience in classical RPGs (Magical Vacation, Magical Starsign, Mother 3, Fantasy Life).
  4. Get some employees from Monolith Soft to work on it.
My version of the game turns out to be like Dragon Quest 8 Journey of the Cursed King.
Good ideas. Although, I didn't know that some primary developers at Camelot had left...

Home Console or Handheld, Nintendo would have to follow the first point the most if they want GS to become successful again.

Wouldn't Tales of Golden Sun deviate too much from the main series, or would it just be a spin off series?
No no, that was just an example of how it could look.

I want Golden Sun to keep its core gameplay intact with perhaps minor changes to make it a bit more interesting.

I wouldn't mind a Golden Sun spin off though.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Good ideas. Although, I didn't know that some primary developers at Camelot had left...
Thanks and what I heard about Camelot developers leaving was a rumor, told to me by my friend (he is not anti-Golden Sun).

No no, that was just an example of how it could look.
Oh, well that clears things up.

I want Golden Sun to keep its core gameplay intact with perhaps minor changes to make it a bit more interesting.
Should the 4th installment of the Golden Sun series work sort of like Dragon Quest 8, but keeping the main GS features? Even if the game is on the handheld, should that happen?

I wouldn't mind a Golden Sun spin off though.
Same.

Edit: Forgot to mention that some of the developers in Monolith Soft also worked on Chrono Cross.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Should the 4th installment of the Golden Sun series work sort of like Dragon Quest 8, but keeping the main GS features? Even if the game is on the handheld, should that happen?

I haven't really played any of the Dragon Quest games yet so I am a bit unknown to how Dragon Quest 8 works. Except that it is turn-based JRPG...

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Edit: I primarily meant the graphics guys. I haven't played any of the Tales of ____ games so I can't say anything about the gameplay. Plus more character development is always a plus point!
I'd appreciate the graphical style and the character development, but I find most of the game mechanics in the Tales of series absolutely abysmal. Combat is massively overcomplicated for how little direct control you have, and there are plenty of superfluous systems that just wind up getting completely ignored (cooking, I'm looking at you).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Golden Sun's gameplay as it is. It's the game structure and character development that could use a hand.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I haven't really played any of the Dragon Quest games yet so I am a bit unknown to how Dragon Quest 8 works. Except that it is turn-based JRPG...
Here is a video of Dragon Quest 8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf5EUltbWJI

The game allows you to visit towns/castles/areas in 3D and has interactive objects in the world.

The open scale world of DQ8 would look good on GS and its Alchemy based puzzles.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd appreciate the graphical style and the character development, but I find most of the game mechanics in the Tales of series absolutely abysmal. Combat is massively overcomplicated for how little direct control you have, and there are plenty of superfluous systems that just wind up getting completely ignored (cooking, I'm looking at you).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Golden Sun's gameplay as it is. It's the game structure and character development that could use a hand.
I'd say Tales is probably the best action-based RPG franchise on the market... but it STILL pales in comparison to a good turn-based RPG. I can't STAND not having control over my characters, and the AI is usually sh**, even when they have specialized options.

Golden Sun's gameplay is fine, it just needs to be refined a bit. Removing random battles is a good start.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

I never intended for them to change Golden Sun's gameplay. I just was showing off how GS might look in HD graphics, and that was the only pic I found. Golden Sun in Tales style.

I love the games the way they are. As @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman said, random battles could be replaced. Or altered somewhat (as they are a staple from old school RPGs).

Here is a video of Dragon Quest 8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf5EUltbWJI

The game allows you to visit towns/castles/areas in 3D and has interactive objects in the world.

The open scale world of DQ8 would look good on GS and its Alchemy based puzzles.
Sounds cool! From what you say, it sounds like what I imagine Golden Sun if it ever comes out on a home console! Just add the hugeness of Xenoblade!

Thanks for the video! Will check it out! :)

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Sounds cool! From what you say, it sounds like what I imagine Golden Sun if it ever comes out on a home console! Just add the hugeness of Xenoblade!

Thanks for the video! Will check it out! :)
No problem. This is exactly what comes to mind when I think of Home Console Golden Sun games.

Last edited:

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
I only played Tales of Eternia on PSP i still have to do Graces F and Symphonia on PS3. I like the Tales of Gameplay but sometimes like someone said earlier there is many systems you will not use like cooking and sometimes i find it's a bit a mess xD Well i say thaht but i'm a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts and talking about mess on the screen with so many ennemies and the moves of Sora i got confused when i was young.

Anyway for Golden Sun i think the gameplay should stay like this but with some changes, i personally prefer Actions RPG like Kingdom Hearts, Terranigma etc where you can fight directly you ennemies and moving around as you want. I don't think GS would really fit in this gameplay but maybe with a system like the ATB jauge like Final Fantasys could be nice.

It would stay Turn-RPG but with a little more dynamism. For example ennemies can attack you while you're choosing on what Psynergy to use, what Summon to..Summon xD etc ^^

And if one day GS comes to console Oh my f*ucking God (sorry) it would be juste amazing !

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
It would stay Turn-RPG but with a little more dynamism. For example ennemies can attack you while you're choosing on what Psynergy to use, what Summon to..Summon xD etc ^^
You basically mean Xenoblade Chronicles or Final Fantasy 12 styled fighting right?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I only played Tales of Eternia on PSP i still have to do Graces F and Symphonia on PS3. I like the Tales of Gameplay but sometimes like someone said earlier there is many systems you will not use like cooking and sometimes i find it's a bit a mess xD Well i say thaht but i'm a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts and talking about mess on the screen with so many ennemies and the moves of Sora i got confused when i was young.

Anyway for Golden Sun i think the gameplay should stay like this but with some changes, i personally prefer Actions RPG like Kingdom Hearts, Terranigma etc where you can fight directly you ennemies and moving around as you want. I don't think GS would really fit in this gameplay but maybe with a system like the ATB jauge like Final Fantasys could be nice.

And if one day GS comes to console Oh my f*ucking God (sorry) it would be juste amazing !
I'm fine with GS coming to consoles, but we need GS4 on handheld first.

You basically mean Xenoblade Chronicles or Final Fantasy 12 styled fighting right?
Probably more like the Action Time Battle system from Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Graces F is great. Xilia is arguably even better.

That sounds pretty great actually. I'd play it~

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'm sorry i don't know how to quote xD

@ Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon Well yeah better like Xenoblade but i was thinking like Final Fantasy IX here a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJVOBGK6W1s

The 12 i didn't lije the gambits system =/
That video looks good. Reminds me of classical Chrono Trigger RPG combat. Though if GS4 does have it I would believe it would be optional.

I believe the main issue with the Golden Sun series' gameplay is trying to do something different without leaving the core mechanics of the game itself.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Shulk got confirmed thanks to his remake that was coming to the new 3DS next year, because if Golden Sun 4 was more advanced in development, than we would have seen Isaac getting confirmed instead.

However, the total lack of Isaac's AT seems like a good sign to me, so I hope we get him via DLC.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
@ Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon Exactle like in Chrono Trigger it could be enable or not and yes FFIX and Chrono Trigger combats look mostly the same.

@ Wintropy Wintropy I've heard Graces F is awesome :D But i have too many RPG's to finish first xD I'am aiming fot the platinum trophies in Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix HD xD Like i said i'm a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts and i can't imagine GS having a gampleay like this for example xD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sNmmanHDe4#t=29

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
@ Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon Exactle like in Chrono Trigger it could be enable or not and yes FFIX and Chrono Trigger combats look mostly the same.

@ Wintropy Wintropy I've heard Graces F is awesome :D But i have too many RPG's to finish first xD I'am aiming fot the platinum trophies in Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix HD xD Like i said i'm a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts and i can't imagine GS having a gampleay like this for example xD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sNmmanHDe4#t=29
I can't imagine Golden Sun having a Chrono Trigger like gameplay. Even though I love Chrono Trigger!

Neither with gameplay like Kingdom Hearts. It won't be Golden Sun gameplay wise if that happened. I wouldn't mind a spin-off like that though.

Thanks for reminding me, I still have to finish Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. Plus tons of RPGs including FFIX and Dragon Quest 9 which were mentioned by you guys. Thank you for adding to my list guys...... :glare:

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I playing Golden Sun again. The first one. Im really like it.
I thinking the Assist trophy are the same from 3DS and Wii U with some minor changes like they run in 60 FPS.

But oh my GAWD.
Were talking soooooooooooooooo much marketing, Money, Bussiness and Is Success.
Or there a GS4 or... I dont want a reboot. Golden Sun is Golden Sun. I dont want Golden Soul and Tales of Sun. Just Golden Sun game. Somuch stuff I can't understand that people are talking almost all the thread.
But there a Dark dawn music, is not remixed, but is a dark dawn music and is in Palutena Temple, Sakurai bias stage and yet dark dan don't sell well like the other but those it stop there. We got 2 music of Golden Sun in this smash at least and in two different stage to. Dark Dawn is not ignore.

I can agree on this, Shulk was lucky, is not for xenoblade cronicle X, Shulk never gonna be in. Because he have future and our poor Isaac not. Duck Hunt was EXTREMELY LUCKY BEING IN.
Duck Hunt was 3x Lucky than Shulk because is a retro character and retro character are rarely choosen.

Now I go every poll, Isaac is always at the top of the vote. I getting glad that Sakurai don't make him AT, for now but... There not yet a exclusive AT yet... Waiting and...More waiting.

Now Im going to play some Golden Sun. Isaac Amiibo would be sooooooo cool.
3 days, for Smash 4 wii u. GUYS, the fate is near.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I can't imagine Golden Sun having a Chrono Trigger like gameplay. Even though I love Chrono Trigger!

Neither with gameplay like Kingdom Hearts. It won't be Golden Sun gameplay wise if that happened. I wouldn't mind a spin-off like that though.

Thanks for reminding me, I still have to finish Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. Plus tons of RPGs including FFIX and Dragon Quest 9 which were mentioned by you guys. Thank you for adding to my list guys...... :glare:
It is important to not change Golden Sun's core gameplay mechanics to the point where it is unrecognizable.

!Alert!

Someone got Super Smash Brothers Wii U early and is revealing things in the game, here is a link to the User:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Beanman25Jr/videos

Let us make sure that Isaac is not found as an Assist Trophy. I will be looking at these videos for Isaac.

Last edited:
Top Bottom