• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
One of the nice things about Golden Sun reps, is, even in the worst case scenario were Isaac is brought back as an AT, we can rally for Mathew as DLC. Except apparently Mathew sucks, haven't played Dark Dawn, remember.
He doesn't suck. He's basically a carbon copy of Isaac, to be honest. Just in a game that made a few big mistakes, and thus did not have near the lasting impact.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
One of the nice things about Golden Sun reps, is, even in the worst case scenario were Isaac is brought back as an AT, we can rally for Mathew as DLC. Except apparently Mathew sucks, haven't played Dark Dawn, remember.
Perhaps he's not considered as charismatic as Isaac is by the fans?

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
Matthew doesn't suck. ;; Whoever says that is a liar and should feel bad, lol.
I like Matthew. Though I think the better fit for a GS rep would be Isaac, since he's the most popular and he's been in every game as either the main character or a major character.

Matthew also takes after his father by having literally one line of pointless, yet hilarious, dialogue in the entire game.

ChainsOfDusk

Smash Cadet
To be honest I didn't mind Dark Dawn, and it struck a similar chord (in gameplay length) to how the first Golden Sun set up for a much longer sequel. To date I've enjoyed every Golden Sun game, and I anticipated Dark Dawn's short story due to the trends.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Matthew doesn't suck. ;; Whoever says that is a liar and should feel bad, lol.
I like Matthew. Though I think the better fit for a GS rep would be Isaac, since he's the most popular and he's been in every game as either the main character or a major character.

Matthew also takes after his father by having literally one line of pointless, yet hilarious, dialogue in the entire game.
Honestly, even though I enjoyed the game I didn't think Isaac had much of a personality playing through Golden Sun. He was a pretty generic silent JRPG protag, but that might get better in a game where he isn't the lead (Lost Age, which I never played.)

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Isaac and shulk should be are #1 proparity than but if something should happen then we go to DLC.I just hope that i never goes that far

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, even though I enjoyed the game I didn't think Isaac had much of a personality playing through Golden Sun. He was a pretty generic silent JRPG protag, but that might get better in a game where he isn't the lead (Lost Age, which I never played.)
Yes, he actually talks in the second game. And the third. ;D That's when the player actually gets to see more personality from him.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
He actually has a lot of personality. You just don't get a lot of it through words. Since, y'know, he doesn't speak.

Once you play The Lost Age, you'll get to see Felix, and you'll get a good grasp of how different the two silent protagonists can feel just on the basis of what actions they take.

To be honest I didn't mind Dark Dawn, and it struck a similar chord (in gameplay length) to how the first Golden Sun set up for a much longer sequel. To date I've enjoyed every Golden Sun game, and I anticipated Dark Dawn's short story due to the trends.
This is true, the problem is, it did so badly.

The Lost Age wrapped up the carryover plot threads from Golden Sun, and then left one little bit hanging. Dark Dawn wrapped up nothing from Lost Age, and left a ton of huge plot points hanging.

If Dark Dawn had actually addressed anything from Lost Age in a satisfactory manner, it would have been much better received. We didn't really have a problem with it bringing up a ton of new stuff, just that all that new stuff came at the expense of not progressing the overall plot at all.

Also, Dark Dawn built up to a sequel without a sequel on the way. It banked on one, and the series was nowhere near stable enough to do that.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yes, he actually talks in the second game. And the third. ;D That's when the player actually gets to see more personality from him.
Might have to pay Dark Dawn after all!

Yeah, another thing I want to bring up... it would be a real shame to not see Isaac in the game when they gave Palutena "Move." I was wondering if they would find a satisfactory way to translate the Assist Trophy move into a usable form, and they totally did! Except they gave it to a character from Kid Icarus!

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Isaac should be are main focus but Matthew or Felix would be fine as well.Just i think if there going to represent golden sun right issac would be the way to go

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Isaac should be are main focus but Matthew or Felix would be fine as well.Just i think if there going to represent golden sun right issac would be the way to go
With Alt costumes, I could actually see Isaac and Matthew sharing a spot.

Felix is easy clone material, although like a lot of clones, could easily stand as his own fully unique character.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Isaac VS Shulk VS Ness Trailer is really the best thing
I guess it could be Lucas for a "Blondie's" trailer, but I'd much prefer Ness

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

Felix is easy clone material, although like a lot of clones, could easily stand as his own fully unique character.
true if isaac is in matthew is going to be an alt felix well im not sure.two golden sun reps seems to be pushing it.DLC maybe.baby steps

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Given that they are almost identical in terms of gameplay and body structure, I fail to realize why there would not be alt skins for the other Venus Adepts as well.

Except Himi. She's too different.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Let's have the three of them against Mewtwo!

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Isaac and Felix's personalities have been swapped from the first game to the second one.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Woah! I come here and see tons of posts! And when I search the reason, its an collaboration of Isaac and Shulk fans! I am all for it! Isaac and Shulk unite to bring Nintendo JRPGs to the Smash fray!

By the way, I found this on Tumblr regarding the similarities between Shulk and Isaac so check em out!

So it’s a JRPG about a blonde guy in his late teens-ish, who everybody and their mother seems to want in the next Super Smash Bros.

His best friend is this muscular, tall, red-headed guy, who at first is the only one who sets out on his journey with him.

The protagonist’s main love interest is also a member of the party at the beginning of the game, but she has to leave the party because of reasons, which is what partially also starts the game’s main plot.

The love interest’s older brother meanwhile is far more badass than the protagonist, and becomes playable later on.

All four of them are from the same village, and both the protagonist and the love interest’s older brother can wield this super awesome ancient weapon.

Later on, the party comes across this mage girl dressing in blue/purple clothes, whose family becomes kinda important to the plot.

Oh, and then there’s this old mentor guy that the protagonist, his best friend, the love interest, and the love interest’s older brother have known for years.

Don't know how true it is, haven't played Xenoblade yet, but why not? What do you guys say? If yes, I am all up for Xenoblade, just like Golden Sun :p

Isaac AND Shulk, Nintendo's JRPG heroes, for Smash 4 :)

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Woah! I come here and see tons of posts! And when I search the reason, its an collaboration of Isaac and Shulk fans! I am all for it! Isaac and Shulk unite to bring Nintendo JRPGs to the Smash fray!

By the way, I found this on Tumblr regarding the similarities between Shulk and Isaac so check em out!
So it’s a JRPG about a blonde guy in his late teens-ish, who everybody and their mother seems to want in the next Super Smash Bros.

His best friend is this muscular, tall, red-headed guy, who at first is the only one who sets out on his journey with him.

The protagonist’s main love interest is also a member of the party at the beginning of the game, but she has to leave the party because of reasons, which is what partially also starts the game’s main plot.

The love interest’s older brother meanwhile is far more badass than the protagonist, and becomes playable later on.

All four of them are from the same village, and both the protagonist and the love interest’s older brother can wield this super awesome ancient weapon.

Later on, the party comes across this mage girl dressing in blue/purple clothes, whose family becomes kinda important to the plot.

Oh, and then there’s this old mentor guy that the protagonist, his best friend, the love interest, and the love interest’s older brother have known for years.

Don't know how true it is, haven't played Xenoblade yet, but why not?

So, you're saying that Xenoblade Chronicles is a Golden Sun rip-off?

Not many better RPGs to use for inspiration, I guess. The Xenoblade devs at least have good taste in what to pull from. :)

I'm not sure I understand. Is he implying that the 3DS version and Wii U version may have different rosters?
He's not implying it, he's outright stating it.

Actually, essentially what he's saying is that the two are going to be like the two incarnations of each Pokémon game. You'll have a core set of fighters available to everyone, then some exclusive to each version. But you can trade them between versions, so you can still complete the Pokédex (roster) on a single version.

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
He's not implying it, he's outright stating it.

Actually, essentially what he's saying is that the two are going to be like the two incarnations of each Pokémon game. You'll have a core set of fighters available to everyone, then some exclusive to each version. But you can trade them between versions, so you can still complete the Pokédex (roster) on a single version.
That's really stupid if you ask me...

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
just a theory i wanted to share.I thought it was pretty interesting and just wanted to know how you guys would fell if you had to do this

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
So, you're saying that Xenoblade Chronicles is a Golden Sun rip-off?

Not many better RPGs they could have taken inspiration from.
I am not saying anything, just showing what I saw as I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles.

But if some of the storyline quirks are similar to Golden Sun, all the better since Golden Sun is legendary and Xenoblade Chronicles has also been widely acclaimed as one of the best JRPGs to hit Nintendo consoles after many years!

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I like my idea of time-delayed characters better. Just use the 3DS clock to block the unlock conditions.

One week after launch, Sakurai reveals a new character, and it just magically appears in-game for everyone who got the game at launch.

A month later, another one. And so on until release of the Wii U version.

It'd be a much more acceptable (and much more evil) form of trolling us with the roster, and would keep the newcomers coming.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
It's a JRPG about a blonde guy in his late teens-ish, who everybody and their mother seems to want in the next Super Smash Bros, His best friend is this muscular, tall, red-headed guy, who at first is the only one who sets out on his journey with him.

Xenoblade DOES sound pretty good

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
It's a JRPG about a blonde guy in his late teens-ish, who everybody and their mother seems to want in the next Super Smash Bros, His best friend is this muscular, tall, red-headed guy, who at first is the only one who sets out on his journey with him.

I like that you hit both threads.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

Yea that is cause it sounds like Golden Sun :p

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yea that is cause it sounds like Golden Sun :p
He posted the same thing in thing in the Xenoblade thread but changed the last line, lol.

Seriously though, some people have been saying for years (I myself have done it from time to time) that Harry Potter ripped off the Comic Book series the Books of Magic, which debuted in 1990. It's not hard to see why:

When asked about it, Neil Gaiman said that of course there were going to be a lot of similarities between the two series. Both are books about teen wizards that were written by British authors that drew from a lot of the same inspirations.

That comparison between Xenoblade and Golden Sun is largely the same thing. They are both JRPGs that build upon a lot of the tropes and ideas of games that came before them. Just like Harry Potter and the Books of Magic, though, they went into very different directions and built wonderfully unique stories from that common base.

Anyone who has played both series could tell you that most of the similarities are extremely superficial.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
He posted the same thing in thing in the Xenoblade thread but changed the last line, lol.

Seriously though, some people have been saying for years (I myself have done it from time to time) that Harry Potter ripped off the Comic Book series the Books of Magic, which debuted in 1990. It's not hard to see why:

When asked about it, Neil Gaiman said that of course there were going to be a lot of similarities between the two series. Both are books about teen wizards that were written by British authors that drew from a lot of the same inspirations.

That comparison between Xenoblade and Golden Sun is largely the same thing. They are both JRPGs that build upon a lot of the tropes and ideas of games that came before them. Just like Harry Potter and the Books of Magic, though, they went into very different directions and built wonderfully unique stories from that common base.

Anyone who has played both series could tell you that most of the similarities are extremely superficial.
I never said that the similarities were deep :p But still, didn't know about this superficial similarities before I saw that on tumblr.

And Harry Potter look-alike on a flying skateboard, well that is cooler than a broomstick :p

Last edited:

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
Geez, the thread just went CRAZY, I love it.
I sure had some great laughs reading the last few pages :chuckle::chuckle:
Welcome, new Shulksaac supporters! May our strengths together bring some fun, and, most importantly, JRPG support!

I love Xenoblade too, so I'd sure like Shulk to get in as well (I believe Dunban and a certain spoilerish femenine F character -you know what I mean :smirk:- have more potential though, but that's my opinion).

Anyways, let us share a great time together while we wait for the game to release :bee:

There's a direct announced for the next few days, no? Can someone fill me in with the details?

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Geez, the thread just went CRAZY, I love it.
I sure had some great laughs reading the last few pages :chuckle::chuckle:
Welcome, new Shulksaac supporters! May our strengths together bring some fun, and, most importantly, JRPG support!

I love Xenoblade too, so I'd sure like Shulk to get in as well (I believe Dunban and a certain spoilerish femenine F character -you know what I mean :smirk:- have more potential though, but that's my opinion).

Anyways, let us share a great time together while we wait for the game to release :bee:

There's a direct announced for the next few days, no? Can someone fill me in with the details?
There is no direct announced yet, but they have done them with as little as 24 hours notice. It's fairly likely we will have one next week.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Well, it looks like Isaac/Shulk just won. Apparently the entire Ridley thread gave up because of a magazine article. It's not even a fun victory. :(

Last edited:

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
There is no direct announced yet, but they have done them with as little as 24 hours notice. It's fairly likely we will have one next week.
Well, let's see then when we're getting it, I'm excited to see what Sakurai has to offer! :D
I thought I read something regarding that, might as well ask. Thanks for the answer.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well, it looks like Isaac/Shulk just won. Apparently the entire Ridley thread gave up because of a magazine article. It's not even a fun victory. :(
Heh? Which magazine article? Why did they give up because of that?

Well Isaac/Shulk supporters are still going on with full force. Although after the rush of 70 messages, the momentum has slowed down but so what, we are still here!

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Heh? Which magazine article? Why did they give up because of that?

Well Isaac/Shulk supporters are still going on with full force. Although after the rush of 70 messages, the momentum has slowed down but so what, we are still here!
There was a new set of scans that repeated the tease.

There is also a stages screen on a fan site that was mistaken for official material, that described the history of Pyrosphere and mentions the fight in Other M where Samus fights Ridley there. Apparently that direct mention of the character took a lot of wind out of their sails.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Alright, Golden Blade!

Don't know how true it is, haven't played Xenoblade yet, but why not? What do you guys say? If yes, I am all up for Xenoblade, just like Golden Sun :p

Hey, what can I say, that is interesting. Though many of those conventions are pretty widespread in JRPGs.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
What about GoldenBlade SunChronicles (Like Sun Sagas :p)?

Ahead we charge rooting for our favourite newcomers!

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88

Why are you people so childish all of a sudden? What is the point in going over to the Riley and K. Rool threads and flaming there and trying to start a war?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

Why are you people so childish all of a sudden? What is the point in going over to the Riley and K. Rool threads and flaming there and trying to start a war?
I was not part of the warring part, but I don't mind Isaac and Shulk fans sticking together as they are both characters of epic JRPGs by Nintendo. Who was trying to flame anyway?

Well anyway let's just calm down and support Isaac instead of dissing other characters!

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I just hate flame wars in general. ESPECIALLY in the Character forums. What people forget most of the time is that we are ALL IN THIS TOGETHER! Every single character, may he be obscure or popular or whatever! Dissing other characters does NOTHING to help your cause. And let's not forget that Isaac is probably the only popular character left that has next to NO evidence going for him at the moment still.

Top Bottom