• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Yoshi Better In Melee or Brawl?

Bobhuffman

Smash Cadet
I always liked him in Melee, but he seemed sucky to me has he been changed in his speed/weight/moveset ?

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
I would have to say Brawl for one reason, he has a thrid jump now! But I still love him in Melee!

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
but I heard it was more for stalling since the gain isnt reliable...

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
Yeah read Yoshi's profile on Smash Dojo. Here's the quote
"Yoshi’s back and bursting with personality! He can launch consecutive attacks and even smack around enemies below him mid-flight.

Among other things, *he can now use his up special move, the Egg Toss, to increase the distance of his jump.* That’s enough to earn him a hearty welcome, isn’t it?

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Not in Melee, but you can in Brawl. You don't get into a helpless-state after an airdodge anymore, making up for the lack of directional airdodge.

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
Not in Melee, but you can in Brawl. You don't get into a helpless-state after an airdodge anymore, making up for the lack of directional airdodge.
Wow that is probably one of the coolest things they could have added!

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
The biggest thing is:
We can't really tell yet.

Sorry to burst your bubble folks, but a few days at E-for-all isn't really enough to tell. Now, I'm not saying he's worse off, I'm just saying we can't tell yet.

But another jump IS nice.

bigman40

Smash Master
hmmm......that opens up a lot more strats now that I think about it. A third jump, nearly disjointed atks, thats a deadly combination!

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
The third jump is more like a stall really as people said, like Mario's cape. Though it's still good he has this ability, especially with directional airdodges gone.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget that not having a double jump cancel in brawl is a really really bad thing. Don't jump to conclusions just because he has a "third jump." We're just going to have to wait and see.

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
Don't forget that not having a double jump cancel in brawl is a really really bad thing. Don't jump to conclusions just because he has a "third jump." We're just going to have to wait and see.
Why?

It may be bad to some people, but not me.
Yeah really, i don't know how to perform it but i still kill everyone without it.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
Not having a djc means less combo options for yoshi. The djc is a huge part of melee yoshi's advanced game. Watch some Fumi videos and you'll be amazed at how sick Fumi's yoshi is and you'll notice how important the djc is to melee yoshi's game. And once again, we only know an extremely small amount of info on brawl. Remember that we're only seeing things from a demo. We really won't know until a while after brawl is released and we figure out all the advanced techniques and tricks with each character to see how they all match up.

Dr.Saturn

Smash Apprentice
Why?

Yeah really, i don't know how to perform it but i still kill everyone without it.
Of course it is you CAN'T combo without it sense Yoshi's short hop isn't that good its much better to do this sense its faster and rally just better all around sense you should now by now that short hoping and waved dashing are just about the most important advanced techniques

i have no doubt that he will be higher tire than ever

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
Not having a djc means less combo options for yoshi. The djc is a huge part of melee yoshi's advanced game. Watch some Fumi videos and you'll be amazed at how sick Fumi's yoshi is and you'll notice how important the djc is to melee yoshi's game. And once again, we only know an extremely small amount of info on brawl. Remember that we're only seeing things from a demo. We really won't know until a while after brawl is released and we figure out all the advanced techniques and tricks with each character to see how they all match up.
agreeeeeed. djc speeds up yoshi's game and sometimes it's like he's hunting you down *__*. And I second that. Watch some Fumi vids. There's a thread with them there in the yoshi character forum for Melee. without djc.. yoshi might be a lot slower in the air. but his second jump and it's arc/length could open new things up too for brawl.

...though, it's just, djc was turbo hypersonic domination :mad:. i see there being even less options for yoshi with there still being no jump out of shield : (. He does have crazy range though on his moves now ^_^.. well from what i read of what E4all-ers experienced.

Deception

Smash Ace
No one can assume that Yoshi is better or worse after 4 days at E for All or watching videos. Gimpy has some info on some of the things that have changed for Yoshi, but he states that we have yet to learn how this new Yoshi plays. If we have no idea how to use him yet, than we can't assume if he is better or worse.

Yoshi330

Smash Rookie
My impression is that Yoshi will be better in Brawl.

Just having a third jump is a huge improvement.

Fawriel

Smash Master
From what I gathered, he's better.
He has crazy range, that's always a good thing. And his recovery is more reliable. Not necessarily only because of the egg throw jump... I mean, think about it. If his double jump just keeps going after he uses an attack, he could freely defend himself from edgeguarders with everything he has.

Also, according to Gimpy, all characters seemed rather close in terms of potential except for Ike. Since Yoshi was rather bad in Melee for lack of a reliable recovery and the inability to jump out of his shield... he can only be better in comparison if everyone's closer in terms of potential.. or something... I think I confused myself here.

Oh, and if he keeps the weight increase from the double jump even while performing aerials during it, he would have incredible priority in his air game!
I should ask about these things in Gimpy's thread...

Anyway, I'm hoping for mid-tier.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yoshi is deffinately improved and if used properly could probabaly be in the top tier. Watch, he will be in the top teir...

iron blade

Smash Ace
the new air dodge system is awesome. yoshi really needed a third jump, even if it was a smaller one, and he got it. it sucks that you can't djc though.

Yo'ster

Smash Rookie
It appears that a lot of people are missing Yoshi's djc already. Honestly, I think that Brawl needs to be played thoroughly before many judgements can be made. For example, imagine a fair to knock them off the ground into the air, jumping into an upair, air dodging through their counter attack, and using a nair on the way back down.

That may not be the best combo, but there is potential in combining Yoshi's full jump with his attacks. Like Gimpy said, we'll need to find a whole new way of playing Yoshi.

The stalling third jump isn't much now that air dodging isn't directional, but it's at least a minimum. I do wish that Yoshi could jump out of his shield though, and that his shield roll might speed up.

Will Brawl's Yoshi be better than Melee? I think it will depend on the player and their ability to adapt to new strategies.

Chepe

Smash Lord
People are way too attached to DJC. Yes, I will also be playing Yoshi really bad at first because I am used to DJC, but the whole second jump momentum thing has much much MUCH potential for a completely new and more effective way to use Yoshi.

Imagine an uair at the start of the second jump that hits your opponent up, and the second jump continues which means you caught up to them and were able to deliver a second hit like a nair or dair? And we dont even know if his "super armor" from the second jump is still applied when using aerials during the second jump. Also, air dodging during the second jump should give you the longest air dodge range in the game, which will be incredibly useful for recovering from under the ledge...

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I can make a comparison yet... actually ever. Remember, characters feel and play differently from Melee to Brawl. Yoshi might look alike, but his moves may be altered and these new features he's been given in Brawl definitely makes it hard to compare. Besides, we haven't even played this game yet.

kunai_abuser

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I can make a comparison yet... actually ever. Remember, characters feel and play differently from Melee to Brawl. Yoshi might look alike, but his moves may be altered and these new features he's been given in Brawl definitely makes it hard to compare. Besides, we haven't even played this game yet.
It's kinda fun to speculate, but yeah it isn't good to get hopes up, or expect the worst yet.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
Good point. However, speculating is fun, and it's not bad to look at how the character changed and what new strategies might be used.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Yeah, Yoshi's reach seems to be on his side this time around. And I like his new ftilt, it seems stronger than the kick in Melee. And we probably might not be able to really compare Melee Yoshi to Brawl Yoshi, but maybe when the first Tier list is made, we can tell wether he actually improved or not.

Top Bottom