• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there hostility against walk off stages? Why?

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
Some times whether reading online or talking to other players, people generally tend to dislike stages with walk offs. However, a good reason is never given. They say, "oh it's too easy to get killed", well, it's also easy to get killed if you get ledge hogged.:ohwell:

For those of you that don't like these types of stages, could you give a good explanation why? I'm not trying to put you in the spotlight, I just want to know because maybe I'm missing something here.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure it's because of chain grabs. Or just that you could back throw them of. Or with Kirby/Dedede you can inhale them, then spit them out.

And it's true, most of them are too easy to get killed. And theres nothing cooler than getting a Falcon Punch below the stage, or Dedecided. Or spiked. (those are just a few of the fun things to do on places like, say, Final Destination)

Hype

Smash Lord
people say it's too easy to get kills because...

what if your opponant has like 160% damage and has just killed you. After you respawn hes just waiting like 2 feet from the boundries and you find yourself a charater with no projectiles. A Probable outcome for this situation includes you getting 0 to deathed by a grab or somthing. keep in mind that you cant just not do anything, there is a timer and although you might think who is going to be such a ***** to do somthing like this, someone will. Even if this doesn't happen low percantage kills are far more common on walkoffs.

why go through all the trouble of dealing with this (and everything else NAKEDedede mentioned) when you could just not play walkoffs.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
people say it's too easy to get kills because...

what if your opponant has like 160% damage and has just killed you. After you respawn hes just waiting like 2 feet from the boundries and you find yourself a charater with no projectiles. A Probable outcome for this situation includes you getting 0 to deathed by a grab or somthing. keep in mind that you cant just not do anything, there is a timer and although you might think who is going to be such a ***** to do somthing like this, someone will. Even if this doesn't happen low percantage kills are far more common on walkoffs.

why go through all the trouble of dealing with this (and everything else NAKEDedede mentioned) when you could just not play walkoffs.
Because some character's best counter pick stages are walkoffs?

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
chain grabs are the biggest reason. alot ppl just dont like the because other ppl dont like them lol.
but also some charcaters wait right near the edge and plan the grab and bthrow for the easy kill.. also removes recovery option so character that can jump and recover 500km in the air lose a skill they chose their character for i guess.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
D3. Pikachu. ICs. Falco. Etc.

Hell, people already complain about Falco's cg > dair; how much more would they complain if he didn't even need the dair for the stock?

Maple~

Smash Rookie
its alot of fun imo to play walk offs just because the disadvantage makes it much more challenging.
but i could see why most people dislike them, characters like marth can easily combo in low percent ko's with walk off stages :[

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
What about stages like onett where most combat takes place in between the houses? I see that the only way you can get chain grabbed to death is if you fight on the ground past the houses, but even then, a good hit will lead to a KO. I don't even think you could chain grab effectively on that stage. Considering, the roofs of the houses are uneven, the cars that pass on the street, the awnings that collapse, etc. Seems like a pretty good stage for a walk off.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
You really don't need a CG to abuse a walkoff. You can just camp it, get a grab, throw and kill.
Listen to this bloke. He is a smart guy.
Its what I like to do when down a stock on Delfino, wait for the stop off with the pool in the middle and sit near the edge. Mess around with them until you get the grab you want and bam, they are off the stage and out of your hair.

Duckys

Smash Apprentice
Some people just are too used to those type of stages and not the others, proberly competitive players but really its down to the player, some players prefer a challenge some just want neutral stages to be played...

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Some people just are too used to those type of stages and not the others, proberly competitive players but really its down to the player, some players prefer a challenge some just want neutral stages to be played...
Everyone trains on FD or Battlefield. Pretty horrible syndrome...

I dont mean everyone btw

chucklesXcore

Smash Apprentice
Kirby, Dedede, Bowser, and DK can walk off with the character in their arms. Also, there's a problem with people like Link, Samus and Ivysaur who can use their up-Bs to chain grab.
Link cannot chain grab with his Up B......neither can samus...considering they aren't grabs.....

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Chain grabs (D3, Ice Climbers) Falco`s laser locking, DK can cargo hold you then throw you off....way too easy to get kills....
As Ness I could just Fthrow you off the side too.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Dedede.

And if you really want to know why:
Get out Smash for the N64.
Pick DK and get your friend to play whoever.
Go to Mushroom Kingdom.
As DK, go to any side of the level and wait. When the guy comes,shield his attack, grab him and throw him back.
Rinse and repeat.

Thats why.

Top Bottom