• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there Good Mannered(GM) Rules in Melee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud XV

Smash Cadet
After playing some ohter games for my PC that had Good Mannered rules such as Diablo II, I came to think upon this with smash bros melee.
Good Mannered rules are such as being obnoxious, gloating, using a glitch to your advantage (not wavedashing).
Does anyone think there is a type of unsaid pact that players go by?

Oracle

Smash Master
No johns.

I almost flipped a **** on you because I thought you were gonna call wavedashing a glitch

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
There actually was a series of tourneys in SoCal that didn't ban the freeze glitch, but the host came to his senses and changed the rule before I was able to attend one, lol.

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
friendlies= talk trash

MM=more trash talk

Tournys= even more trash talk!!

So basically trash talk as much as you can and no johns. ^_^ But its all good cause its just a VIDEO GAME and everyone is having a good time.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I too have always wanted smash to be a GM game, but no one knows how to be GM, I find. It's stupid really.

Stev

Smash Ace
your'e allowed to trash talk as much as you want if you know the person pretty well. I mean that's what really drives the competition if you think about it.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
friendlies= talk trash

MM=more trash talk

Tournys= even more trash talk!!

So basically trash talk as much as you can and no johns. ^_^ But its all good cause its just a VIDEO GAME and everyone is having a good time.
Some people get butt hurt though. (A lot of people)

rhan

Smash Hero
Isn't there only 2 glitches that aren't alowed in tourney play?

IC's freeze glitch and Samus' EXTEEEEEENNNNNDERRRRR???

Some people get butt hurt though. (A lot of people)
Some people just need to get thicker skin.

BROWNxEYEDxBEAST

Smash Cadet
Well this is a bit off subject but it still applies. My brother was watching a Madden tourney on ESPN2 and the guys were getting in each other's faces and yelling like a bunch of idiots. Well, they're obviously at least a little dumb if they play freakin Madden. But they were being such jacka$$es, it made me want to poop all over the place. It also made me want to see Smash tourneys on TV, at least on G4. That would be sweeeet.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Why would I play a game that doesn't humiliate the loser? If you want GM, go play Animal Crossing or Cooking Mama Cookoff.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Don't thrash talk? (unless you're not being serious and the people you're thrash-talking to/with know you're not being serious, and therefore not taking offense)

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Why would I play a game that doesn't humiliate the loser? If you want GM, go play Animal Crossing or Cooking Mama Cookoff.
not true, my friend trash talked the **** out of me for not knowing how to cut a fish with a wii mote.

IT HURT MY FEELINGS :(

Geist

Smash Master
Yeah trashtalk is all great stuff.

There are obvious rules that don't encourage stuff like unplugging people's controllers, touching people or obstructing people's views of the match - especially if they're playing. Basic stuff really.
Smash isn't exactly your honorable game, because everyone embraces a play to win attitude. If a guy can land a glitch on you, like the falling through corneria glitch, it's allowed, and it can help you win. It's hilarious in friendlies, and even more so in tourney matches.
stuff like extendeeeeeeeeeer is allowed, because it isn't offensive to anyone. And you get to yell "EXTENDEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR"

I was playing once and KK totally started giving me a back massage.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
What's wrong with CG'ing in friendlies? If the game is bad, don't play it and move on to something else. It's part of the game. Live with it.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
What's wrong with CG'ing in friendlies? If the game is bad, don't play it and move on to something else. It's part of the game. Live with it.
Most people consider chaingrabbing to not be friendly, only exception I include is when playing against icies. I never call people out on it but it's an unspoken principle a lot of people embrace. No one's *****ing about it being cheap.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
I will hold back then.

But still, to some, playing like seriously whenever you play can be an inspiration to some. Like me!

Zjiin

Smash Master
Apparently CMC is a hardcore game, haha.

Also, CG'ing in friendlies will make you an A-grade asshole, which is why most IC mains will play other chars in friendlies.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
If you don't play gay in friendlies, how will you get the practice in for playing gay in tourneys where it really counts? =P

Zjiin

Smash Master
If you don't play gay in friendlies, how will you get the practice in for playing gay in tourneys where it really counts? =P
Yeah, i knew this point would come up, but i don't remember any top placers practicing gay strats or playing gay in tourney. If CG'ing is hard for you to do and/or the only way to train to make yourself better in competitive play, then you have bigger problems. :laugh:

Corigames

Smash Hero
And if you are more worried about people thinking you are cool than you are about winning, then you are going to have bigger problems :/

Corigames

Smash Hero
Isn't sandbagging quite a douchebag move? I don't know about you, but if I were to play against someone and then I was told they weren't trying to their fullest, I would be quite pissed.

If you aren't going to give it your all, you should just go home. You aren't doing ANYONE any good by holding back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom