• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is SSB64 Still Worth Playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Can you provide me some evidence? 64 Was basically melee with different movesets and less techskill, then brawl was just melee with flashier graphics and practically no techskill availability... P:M on the other hand is awesome
64 Was basically melee with different movesets and less techskill
Dude, and I mean this in the gentlest way possible, that is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read. If you've played both games, you'd know that 64 and melee not only have different movesets and tech options, but the physics of the two games is completely different. The 64 chars are floatier than their melee counterparts. The DI in both games functions in different ways (yes 64 has DI!!!!!). Most importantly, 64 moves have a HUGE amount of hitstun, which is the backbone of the entire game. It causes 64 to be focused largely around combo's, much more so than melee. The differences between the games goes far beyond players movesets.

See what you did here is assume that more techskill means a better game, when in reality that is a just your personal preference. Some people prefer not to have to focus on the tech skill for hours a day, I am one of those people. However, others find that experience rewarding, hence they enjoy melee more. Good for them. The point is that none of the smash games are objectively better than the others, they all have their appeal to certain players (yes even brawl guys lol). Can we provide you evidence? I cannot think of a single piece of evidence that would prove one game to be "better" than the other, so no.

Morin0

Smash Lord
No, DI works the same. Except for the grab DI since 64 doesn't have that. I don't think people for the most part play Melee for the tech skill either, lol.

:phone:

The Star King

Smash Hero
^Uh no it doesn't. In Melee you can influence the direction at which you're launched, while in 64 you can only influence the initial position you're at before you're launched.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
there is no DI in smash 64
there is Smash DI in NTSC-U smash 64

Morin0

Smash Lord
^Uh no it doesn't. In Melee you can influence the direction at which you're launched, while in 64 you can only influence the initial position you're at before you're launched.
dafuq

is there a video demonstrating this?

@Strong Bad

and slide DI and quarter-circle DI

The Star King

Smash Hero
there is no DI in smash 64
there is Smash DI in NTSC-U smash 64
...wut?

@Morino Imagine getting hit by Yoshi's uair in Smash 64 and then in Melee? In Smash 64 you can change your position during a few frames before you're launched, but you will be launched straight up no matter up. Can't affect trajectory. In Melee if you hold, say, left, you will be launched diagonally up + left at some angle (and also has 64's DI, they call it Smash DI).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Lol? Fox uthrow without holding a direction as the victim, then hold left/right. Pretty obvious

Dunno what you're talking about in relation to grab DI lol. You mean throw DI?

Morin0

Smash Lord
Puff up throws you and instead of going straight up, you go up at an angle either left or right. 64 doesn't have that. I'm not too familiar with Melee terms just yet, but if that's throw DI, then yes. I thought it was called grab DI @.@

The Star King

Smash Hero
That's what I was talking about lol. It applies to anything. In Melee you can affect trajectory, in 64 you can't. It's not exclusive to throws in Melee >_>

TANK64

Smash Lord
Thank you Clubba/StarKing for educating these peeps. My head hurts.

Also yea I would say that Melee has more techskill, but it's not even that much more lol (I main Falco). The two games are pretty technical, I mean, you could still play 64 well without a lot of the harder movements, but the same could be said about Melee.

Not that the techskill difference is even relevant here...

was MED$ was born yesterday?

*looks at join date*

yeeeeeaaa moving on.

Why isn't this thread closed?

Sangoku

Smash Master
I'm wondering if MED$ is trolling or what. Maybe he just doesn't know how to read? TANK said everything, I won't repeat anything (if he doesn't read TANK's posts, he won't read others either). Anyway debating which one of the two games is better is clearly useless and you all know that, so let's stop it?

Also, Strong Bad if you want to be nitpicking, then there's no such thing as "smash DI" in smash 64 (U-NTSC, PAL or JP doesn't matter). There's only PI (in all the versions).

The Star King

Smash Hero
Smash DI is what Melee people call the DI in 64

Also lol PI, I have a vague memory of being the one who coined that term. inb4 nobody knows what Sangoku is talking about

TANK64

Smash Lord
Positional PRO Influence.

@Morino, I know :awesome: . It was just funny 'cause it added to his Noob outlook haha.

kys

Smash Ace
Don't you guys know where you're posting? The 64 section, the only place where everything is objective (thanks to Battlecow and aa). 64 is objectively better than melee. Brawl is not a game and does not count. Noobs.

:troll:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Smash DI is what Melee people call the DI in 64

Also lol PI, I have a vague memory of being the one who coined that term. inb4 nobody knows what Sangoku is talking about
I know that's how they call it, but if they're complaining about saying "grab DI", then I complain about saying smash "DI".

Ever since you mentioned PI, I've always been thinking how it made more sense than DI. That's why I keep going back to this :). I also mention it in my DI noob guide (which I should finish and upload by the time >_>).

asianaussie

Smash Hero
that's like saying you like calling all sandwiches BLTs because some sandwiches are BLTs

walls themselves affect your trajectory, you just positioned yourself closer to the wall so you would rebound

The Star King

Smash Hero
bahahahaha

what i ment to say is: i prefer the name DI just because it sounds better and on a similar, not yet brought up note, you can influence your direction by hitting a wall

my first post was misleading
It sounds better because you're used to it and the second part is still lol. Not sure how this post is better.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
No, I genuinely don't like the sound of PI

I also understand that bouncing off a wall is due to your position, it just looks like your changing direction

P.s. you're a condescending ****

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
I highly recommend going back to 64 and getting into the online competitive scene. Competitive smash is much different from the casual smash you played as a kid so i feel you would really enjoy getting to learn the techniques and get really good competitively at the game you enjoyed years ago.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Can you provide me some evidence? 64 Was basically melee with different movesets and less techskill, then brawl was just melee with flashier graphics and practically no techskill availability... P:M on the other hand is awesome
you are dense

lalala OH nanana

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
That's the point... based on the original comment- just saying Melee is an advancement of 64.

Based on? more chars/stages lol. Just saying Melee is better because of a later release/more "content"/better graphics doesn't work. Using that flawed logic makes Brawl the best smash game.

Also the fact that he just said that without stating any reasons.

I'm hoping you just didn't get that, and aren't going to post some incoherent rant about Melee being better just to justify your post (Because that wasn't the point >__> ). This isn't about Melee or Brawl lol.

Ciaza's the one who (rightfully) called out failed logic.

Original Post:

>____> read threads BRO.

****ing jackwagons...

Marvel, Halo, SF... yea, all of those LOGICALLY get better with every game of the series right?

Get it yet?
I'm just saying that when they made melee there was alot more put into the game... It's not just content... Melee is just more well rounded and was made more geared towards COMPETETIVE play.

I don't really care what you think because I am posting in the SSB64 threads so clearly I'm gonna get bashed on...

Did you know gamecube controllers were made the most effective and ergonimically correct way from any controller ever made

TANK64

Smash Lord
I'm just saying that when they made melee there was alot more put into the game... It's not just content... Melee is just more well rounded and was made more geared towards COMPETETIVE play.
Stating opinions as facts. :urg:

Guess he didn't get it...

Did you know gamecube controllers were made the most effective and ergonimically correct way from any controller ever made
I did not.

But I've always thought the gamecube controller was the best (not for 64 of course, I'm too attached).

Morin0

Smash Lord
MED$'s statement actually holds some truth. Sakurai has admitted that he worked his *** off in Melee and the reason it's like that is intentional. He then stated that he's no longer going to do something like that ever again (Melee).

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
MED$'s statement actually holds some truth. Sakurai has admitted that he worked his *** off in Melee and the reason it's like that is intentional. He then stated that he's no longer going to do something like that ever again (Melee).
Does that maybe explain why he's letting the development team do all that work for Smash 4? If we're lucky, and Nintendo was smart, they'll make it as competitive as 64 and Melee.

TANK64

Smash Lord
@Morino, While that is true (about the work put in)- opinions, stated as facts like this:
Melee is just more well rounded and was made more geared towards COMPETETIVE play.
are justs claims from a fan trying to say his game is better, and doesn't do/prove anything lol.

Here's my vote: I think Smash64 is better. Fact.

oh wait, this is irrelevant >___>

@Sol Diviner, one can only hope.

ballin4life

Smash Hero

I don't really care what you think because I am posting in the SSB64 threads so clearly I'm gonna get bashed on...

i highly doubt melee was purposely geared toward competitive play.

as others have stated it's an opinion that melee is "more rounded" (what does this even mean?). see, i don't like melee because all the characters fall at 10000 mph and there's no combos and too much tech skill but that's just my opinion too

the main advancement in melee is that you can actually select all the stages. seriously WTF nintendo at making all those stages that are only available in 1P mode.

i really really doubt this considering Sakurai's apparent feelings about competitive play

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
There may not be quite the 64-esque combo depth in Melee, but the definition of "combo" in that game extends beyond consecutive hits. The characters are faster, and can adapt quicker/take advantage of broken hit strings, so reads and guesses factor into "combos" as well as connecting hits, which arguably adds even more depth to the Melee combo game over that of 64.

That can be seen as an advancement, no?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yes it can be seen as advancement, but it can also be seen as a downfall depending who you talk to. What you prefer in a smash game is completely up to you, there's no point in saying one game is "better" than another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom