• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Square being super stingy with Final Fantasy stuff?

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
When dealing with the FF fanbase, I don't blame them. Again, FF is Square's nest egg right now and with other FF projects, and with FF15's impending milking-run running dry, they may be in a spot.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I knew they didn't send much of anything. I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt by saying their spirits would be buried under everyone else's spirits, and lo and behold, there's basically nothing beyond Cloud, Geno and Mallow.

One can only imagine how annoyed the DQ fanbase will be when they learn of this.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
And according to PapaGeno, Cloud might be the only Fighter that doesn't even appear in World of Light! Vergeban might even be wrong about a Square rep being DLC.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Y'know, speaking of lack of other stuff from Square, it makes me wonder why the summons on Midgar didn't get trophies back in 4.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Likely Noctis, since Square has to keep milking anything FF15. Cloud is Square's FF mascot, Noctis is their DeviantART OC they want senpai(s)to notice.
>Square's DeviantART OC

I thought that was Lightning.

Given these circumstances, SE fans in general are in a really rough spot. Asking for anyone, like Sora, any DQ character, Neku, Octopath Traveller characters, Chrono, Bub, Lara Croft or even Rico is just going to be stonewalled by the company's restrictions being the equivalent of fighting a Marlboro.

To think that older characters were thought to be impossible, the true impossible picks have been from SE all along. If any of their stuff is to be bought away from them by other companies, it'd be too soon.
rip deus ex in smash
what a shame. it was a good dream. what a rotten way to die.

All this list is missing is the final boss tracks from FF8 (The Extreme? Was that what it's called?) and FF9 (the one that plays when you fight Necron) and we're good to go.

Children don't care, or rather, they shouldn't...
"Apathy is Death"

(screw lighting, figuratively not literally you pervs)
**** you I do what I want.

Geno would be the easiest character to add because He's got no strings (to hold me down) (puns, fight me) attached to Square since he's already tied to Nintendo.
I swear to god, if Geno gets in, and his moveset isn't a blatant ripoff of Ultron's Marvel Vs. Capcom moveset, We gonna have serious issues.

And according to PapaGeno, Cloud might be the only Fighter that doesn't even appear in World of Light! Vergeban might even be wrong about a Square rep being DLC.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
So looks like out of the Sm4sh 3rd-Party DLC trio, Cloud has gotten less treatment than Ryu and Bayonetta. Ryu's got an Echo Fighter, Assist and a ton of Spirits. Bayonetta has got an Assist, a ton of Spirits and was seen in the World of Light opening cutscene. Cloud has got nothing. When Marth and Roy get English voices, Cloud is still stuck with his Japanese voice. And Square doesn't have any spirits except for Geno, Mallow and Cloud. Cloud's chances isn't looking good for the next Smash game after Ultimate. If Sakurai were to ask Square for Cloud, he needs to ask for more than what we've got. He's gotta find a way to get Steve Burton in so that Cloud doesn't become the new Marth. With Marth and Roy, them speaking Japanese at the time of Melee made sense because Fire Emblem was a Japanese only game series. But Cloud, not only has his games been localized since his first appearance, he was voiced in English by Steve Burton for a decade ever since Kingdom Hearts, so even Disney fans know Cloud's English voice. And the reason Steve Burton can't voice Cloud in Smash? Contracts. Stupid contracts ruin everything! Bad contracts are the reason Henry Cavill's mustache had to be covered in CGI in Justice League and why the Marvel Cinematic Universe doesn't have full access to all of Marvel's characters. Cloud really is looking like a Goku-level contractual mess in Smash. The more I think about it, the more I feel like Cloud doesn't even belong.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Yeah, gonna correct you there, Cloud does show up in World of Light, albeit unlocked in the Dark World portion from the looks of it

Arthur97

Smash Master
So apparently Cloud's fighter spirit is just his Ultimate render
Do they not all have those as one?
Like, what are they going to use for Male Robin and Female Robin since they never got official art in Awakening?

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
People are raising concerns over Cloud's potential cut in Smash 6 ffs.
Worry about that when AND if we get there.

If Sakurai were to ask Square for Cloud, he needs to ask for more than what we've got. He's gotta find a way to get Steve Burton in so that Cloud doesn't become the new Marth.
Sakurai. Is not. In charge. Of the voice casting. For the other languages.

Do you think he chose Antony del Rio as Pit? Or Yuri Lowenthal as Marth? No!
That was of Nintendo of America, not him.

He makes it his job to add characters if possible, and that's it. Its not his responsibility to make sure that X character speaks in English, Spanish or whatever language they use in their respective region.
Using the lack of a voice actor in one language is a dumb excuse to cut a character from Smash. Sakurai doesn't have to do jack about that just because you say so when you don't even understand where his role as a game director ends.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
I talked to S_B S_B about this last Saturday when the data mine leaks happened; if Square truly is stingy with their IPs being used, then the possible reason we didn't get Geno in the base roster at all was because Square are beyond strict with their IPs. Cloud and Final Fantasy VII are beyond beloved to a fault so it is surprising that Ultimate was not the opportunity to expand on that in the same manner that Castlevania, Metal Gear and Mega Man got expanded upon. Not to mention that Final Fantasy VII will be out for the Switch soon so why have so animosity?

I was watching Maximilian's Smash history stream where they talked about this exact, same issue; his friend (the chubby guy, the one that played Doctor Doom in his Marvel videos) said the reason this was annoying was because Konami, Sega, Capcom and Namco have given Nintendo so much freedom to use their characters and IPs in great ways, going as far as to let them remix classic tracks and use assets, whereas Square barely let them do anything with Final Fantasy. He mentioned that with such a great music team behind each Smash game, you would think this would be a great opportunity to take classic Final Fantasy VII tracks and remix them through a set of new eyes. Max of course was dismissive about it because "he is just happy Cloud is in the game" (as much as I love the dude he tends to dismiss Smash a lot and only covers it because it's a hype booster for his channel).

But worse is that this DOES severely limit any Square character's chances to be in the game if they are indeed that hard to work with. I know that Vergeben keeps stating that a Square rep will be in as DLC, but if we get one I feel it will be as limited as Cloud is right now in terms of content.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I was watching Maximilian's Smash history stream where they talked about this exact, same issue; his friend (the chubby guy, the one that played Doctor Doom in his Marvel videos) said the reason this was annoying was because Konami, Sega, Capcom and Namco have given Nintendo so much freedom to use their characters and IPs in great ways, going as far as to let them remix classic tracks and use assets, whereas Square barely let them do anything with Final Fantasy. He mentioned that with such a great music team behind each Smash game, you would think this would be a great opportunity to take classic Final Fantasy VII tracks and remix them through a set of new eyes.
You forgot Platinum Games, WayForward, Yaht Club Games, and Ubisoft who seem to allow Nintendo to use anything they want from them. Three of which don’t even have fighters, yet are still open to Nintendo.

Hopefully Square doesn’t relieve a Dragon Quest rep, and 3rd party slots are reserved for more open companies. God knows Ubisoft, Mojang, Bethesda, and multiple indies have shown nothing but support for Nintendo but get little to no representation in Smash. We need Rayman, Steve, Doom Slayer, Banjo (if Microsoft is as open as they appear), and others to get in.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It is kind of funny that Square is stingy with FF content in Smash, but are totally cool with Lightning being a Louis Vuitton model. Uh, priorities I guess. I don't know anything about the fashion industry but that probably leaves more profit to them.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
It is kind of funny that Square is stingy with FF content in Smash, but are totally cool with Lightning being a Louis Vuitton model. Uh, priorities I guess. I don't know anything about the fashion industry but that probably leaves more profit to them.
Wait, Lightning is being used as a freaking model... for real-life clothes?!? Lolwut?

Bladebreaker

Smash Cadet
Wait, Lightning is being used as a freaking model... for real-life clothes?!? Lolwut?
During the release cycle of the Lightning trilogy, they used several of the FF13 characters as models. Probably the biggest WTF moment as a Final Fantasy fan I've ever experienced.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Well, we do know Toriyama really wants the world to see his waifu.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
During the release cycle of the Lightning trilogy, they used several of the FF13 characters as models. Probably the biggest WTF moment as a Final Fantasy fan I've ever experienced.
Um... uh... how?!?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I remember that. During one of my trips to Las Vegas, I even passed by a Louis Vuitton that had a big ol' poster of Lightning behind a window. XD

Ah, videogames...

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Vergeban said there would be a new Square Enix character, but what if his source misunderstood arguments between Nintendo and Square over Cloud's inclusion and took all the more frequent phone calls to Square after he heard that "everyone is here" as negotiations to include a new Square character, but it turned out to be very complicated renegotiations for Cloud?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Y'know, speaking of lack of other stuff from Square, it makes me wonder why the summons on Midgar didn't get trophies back in 4.
They weren't 3d models, but still images. so to get trophies they would've need to be modelled from scratch...

now.. why the summons aren't spirits? who the hell knows?

Also, thank you guys for keeping spoilers on spoilers tags! <3

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Vergeban said there would be a new Square Enix character, but what if his source misunderstood arguments between Nintendo and Square over Cloud's inclusion and took all the more frequent phone calls to Square after he heard that "everyone is here" as negotiations to include a new Square character, but it turned out to be very complicated renegotiations for Cloud?
Yeah, that seems very likely. Things would be a lot easier if Nobuo Uematsu wasn't on sabbatical.

I'm starting to think that we may not even get an actual SE newcomer at all this go-round. Apparently easy to work with, but still having to get everyone's approval before doing anything.

Still doesn't explain why Cloud couldn't get any artwork from his debut game, is Nomura too busy to be called up?

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Cloud would be a much better addition to Smash if he brought along actual Nintendo-relevant content, like music from the first six FF's. Also I think Midgar should've been a stage from one of those games. People like to say Cloud represents "Final Fantasy as a whole", but he just doesn't. He barely even represents FF7!

Last edited:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
As a result of the SE situation, I wish the opposite would have happened in SSB4 with playable Geno plus stage and music with Cloud being the Mii costume.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, Vergeban said the first character in the Fighter's Pass would be a Square Enix character. What was announced was a Sega character. Looks like Vergeban's credibility is dead like Gematsu. We're not getting anything from Square. Cloud is all we're getting. It was just so difficult to get him back that Sakurai had to keep calling Square so much that someone thought there was a new character.

Frost Ace

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frost Ace
Well, Vergeban said the first character in the Fighter's Pass would be a Square Enix character. What was announced was a Sega character. Looks like Vergeban's credibility is dead like Gematsu. We're not getting anything from Square. Cloud is all we're getting. It was just so difficult to get him back that Sakurai had to keep calling Square so much that someone thought there was a new character.
I honestly wouldn't feel bad if we never got another Square character ever again.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At this point the only way we'll get anything from there is if some serious restructuring happens, which I won't see happening until at least 10 years. Looks like my dreams of seeing Cecil, Tifa or any DQ character are dead until then. :crying:

On the other hand, between this and the "day one Ender Dragon boss fight patch" claim, I knew V was going to slip up sooner or later. I wonder how much backpedaling he'll try to do to get out of this one.

george-costanza-popcorn.gif

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
So I guess Sora's never going to be in Smash. I wouldn't be so surprised because I see Mickey having the better chance for a Disney rep, since you know, he shouldn't have complicated rights because he was created by Walt Disney himself, and Disney supported Sora4Smash so they clearly would like at least a rep in Smash. Well, at least we're lucky that Cloud made it in. And at least Geno and Mallow had Spirits. And we got Midgar. But we really should have gotten more than what we had from Smash 4. Ryu and Bayonetta had their series representation expanded in Ultimate. Why couldn't we have gotten any more Final Fantasy content?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So I guess Sora's never going to be in Smash. I wouldn't be so surprised because I see Mickey having the better chance for a Disney rep, since you know, he shouldn't have complicated rights because he was created by Walt Disney himself, and Disney supported Sora4Smash so they clearly would like at least a rep in Smash. Well, at least we're lucky that Cloud made it in. And at least Geno and Mallow had Spirits. And we got Midgar. But we really should have gotten more than what we had from Smash 4. Ryu and Bayonetta had their series representation expanded in Ultimate. Why couldn't we have gotten any more Final Fantasy content?
Eh, we'd sooner see Popeye get in Smash than the mouse, at least he'll be public domain in several years from now. And we know how much Sakurai tries not to go for licensed characters until further notice.

I bet Hashimoto's excited retweet of a Sora post is what cost possible negotiations, too. I hope he got a huge pay cut for that stunt. :glare:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
That or maybe he wanted Sora in Smash but Nintendo and Square found that post inappropriate because their agreement was only about Cloud getting in and he was getting people's hopes up for a rejected character that was partially owned by Disney, a company not involved in Smash.

Top Bottom