• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is spamming shameful?

Icarus Descent

Smash Ace
Spamming in this Smash game can easily be outwitted. I don't think that Fox's and Falcos lasers causes a short stun, so when it hits it can be walked out of. Your points are really not that good either, I have seen many Youtubes videos of pros who use PK Fire repeatedly.

And also (just to back up me fav character) Pit's B move is not the only one that is good. His sword (A) attacks are very quick, and he racks up damage pretty quickly it seems.

And one more thing, "Do anything to win the fight"...

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Spamming is only "shameful" in friendly matches where a person spams moves repeatedly (even when they miss) and basically make the game unfun to play. For example, my friend was doing nothing but spamming Sonic's Homing Attack. It was easy to dodge and counter...but it made the match really dull...plus Sonic makes that horrible noise during that attack XD

500 Posts
~+RANK UP+~

erasmus_42

Smash Rookie
In 1-on-1's, spammers get their deserved punishment (easy to strafe through Pit's arrows and deliver a solid hit). In laggy online or games of 3/4, you're likely to get hit by an errand bomb, or find yourself amidst a flurry of laser blasts.
Friendly multiplayer is no place for the spamming n00b. It's frustrating, and wrecks all tactical gameplay. Question, though. Is spamming ever justified? If you're down by two or more lives, it is legit to try to even it out by spamming?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
When the creator, who's pretty much goofy in the first place, of the game diminishes the power of attacks that are spammed, you KNOW it is shameful.

Captain Stupid

Smash Apprentice
Even though spamming is probably the most noobish strategy, it is still a strategy. More like a defensive mindset in a way. You as a good brawl player have to think of a strategy to counter that annoying strategy with one of your own, and if they pull it off and win, their annoying strategy work, even though it feels like you loss to a noob.

CodeytheRhino

Smash Apprentice
All is fair in love and video games. I use TL, but I don't spam projectiles. I do spam attacks like bair and dair, but that's how you play the game.

whoady4shoady

Smash Apprentice
No, loosing constantly to spammers is shameful. I nderstand it will happen every once in a while, but that is all.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I disagree with the original poster here. As a Pit user myself I think spamming arrows is a very effective strategy to frustrate my opponent and tack on some extra damage along the way. A frustrated player is a player who isn't a focused player. Focused players will not think about their own strategy because they will spend too much time getting annoyed by something that isn't that hard to dodge or shield. I also use it when I'm far away from an opponent or an opponent I know will get back to the edge even if I ledge grabbed. It throws their timing off and allows for all kinds of mind games.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The point of spamming is to damage the character as much as you can before you get into close combat that can potentially kill you. If you're any good at it (I am because I play as Snake, and he's practically jailbait for projectiles) it's an effective strategy.

Captain Stupid

Smash Apprentice
Agree that a frustrated opponent isnt a focused one. But when you do it too much that just show you have no other skill than pressing a little red button. Just my opinion not trying to offend anyone

Darkslash

Smash Master
I spam with Wolf's laser in irregular beats.....

Hell I go up to them and spam right there :laugh: thanks to the blade on the bottom, Its does around 15%.....i think. Well its enough to kill a Alloy in a regular Multiman Brawl.
:laugh:

HydroStorm

Smash Rookie
Spamming isn't shameful if someone is just doing it because it's funny when people get pissed off. If they do it because it's the only way they can play the game then that's not shameful, it's just them being bad at the game. It's shameful when someone is using it as a last resort just for the satisfaction of winning.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Well, spamming is a legitimate strategy, and in Brawl, a very effective one.

But I wouldn't necessarily do it to my friends unless it was a serious match.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Spamming is necessary I think, to keep the characters balanced. But spamming makes you all the more predictable. If your opponent is really a nubfase, then you should be able to find a way to dodge/get past whatever they are doing.

True Fool

Smash Ace
You're complaining about players on Wi-Fi's "with anyone" aren't you? What are you playing that laggy piece of garbage for anyway, go get some FCs or go find some friends who will play with you at your house.

Oh, and spam is pretty easy to avoid. You always have to remember, they ARE trying to piss you off, and they are trying to make you get impatient. Don't rush at them to stop the spam, that's almost always exactly what they're trying to get you to do. Even an idiot knows that they can't win off of projectiles alone.

MeloDeath

Smash Apprentice
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to win. It's not the most "noble" way to win a match but who cares if you win. I mean really. I myself detest spammers (Wario main), but I don't think it's a nooby way to play at all. If anything, it's more strategic. It takes a lot of skills to not get hit.

Oh, of course, there's a difference between a competitive player spamming strategically than a Wolf noob lasering over and over then F-smash.
Well yea, in Melee it took skill to play defensive, but as seen in brawl, the defensive strategies are easier than the offensive ones -> inbalanced distribution.
I'd say this topic is the most reposted thing to ever see smashboards. It's the ancient grudge that offensive players have against their natural enemy.

I personally think that people who play falco's or any viable projectile spam-character are making a good choice competition-wise, but are seriously unaware of what makes a game fun to play (for others anyway). Technical Ganon ditto's... that's what it's about y'all XD

Jun.

Smash Lord
Is it shameful? Put yourself in this situation

You somehow get hold of a time machine to prove your point in a SWF thread and travel back to japan's feudal era. You look for a McDonalds but they're not around so you just settle for something that resembles a panda express on japanese crack. You see a cute girl and you wink at her but this girl seems to have a boyfriend who is a haxor samurai of some sort. He wants to duel you at sunset at the hillside. Sunset happens, he's there, you hide behind a rock and you shoot him with a glock that you brought from the future.

did you win? yes
did you get that girl? probably not
are people scared/not looking forward to duel you? most likely
going back to the future with a sense of unease? very much so

Corigames

Smash Hero
i agree. spamming is for players who cant use a character to its full extent, they cant get to grips with an entire moveset or be creative so they just use one move over and over.
What if the full extent of the character is to use the campyness of that character?

If you can spam a single move and still win, then that really doesn't say much about the other person does it? If I rack up 150% on you with arrows and then kill the person with one hit without taking any damage, then I believe that I know how to play my character to their full potential.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
I know I don't like spammers, but since they frequently use the same move, couldn't you just follow the attack pattern and punish him, since your punishing him, that could make them think, and do a different plan, and be more stragetic. anyway, if people are using specials like wolfs blaster, why not play one of the space animals, or play ness/lucas to absorb the damage so that would lead them to a different playing style! also the attacks get weaker significitanly so they should use other moves anyway(although it doesn't make much of a difference with projectiles as most of the time they have extremly low knockback and very low damage! However, this is a problem for those who spam their smashes!)!

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
No, I don't see it as shamefull... What else was Ivysaur b supposed to do. It olny works if you spam it while someone is above you. Same with fox's blaster, 1% damage dosen't do much alone burt if you spam it you get like 20%.

That_Move_is_Key

Smash Cadet
Spamming a move does not make a player a n00b, bad player, inexperienced, or anything of that sort. But if they continue to attempt to spam that move when it has ceased to work, they instantly are that person, for there is indisputable proof that they do not know what they're doing.

Is spamming shameful? not in the least. in fact, the absolute refusal to spam if it would help make your situation better is, in my opinion, a shame. but if someone would spam in a friendly match, or when it does not work, then yes, it is very shameful.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
IMO, it depends WHAT your spamming.
If you spam things like TL/Link's Up-B, Pikachu's Thunder, Or other moves with a surroundous hitbox hoping to be invincable throughout the whole match, Thats a n00b thing.
Yet if you spam something like Fox/Falco/wolf Lazers, Pits Arrows, Pikachu's T-Shock, Fireballs, or other fast projectiles, It is just a strategic part of a match for quick and easy damage.
But if you mean "Lazer lazer lazer, run to other side of FD, lazer lazer lazer" The whole match..... Thats n00b all over it.
It really depends. Spamming can be good or bad for your Smash Reputation

Vaseline

Smash Cadet
IMO, it depends WHAT your spamming.
If you spam things like TL/Link's Up-B, Pikachu's Thunder, Or other moves with a surroundous hitbox hoping to be invincable throughout the whole match, Thats a n00b thing.
Yet if you spam something like Fox/Falco/wolf Lazers, Pits Arrows, Pikachu's T-Shock, Fireballs, or other fast projectiles, It is just a strategic part of a match for quick and easy damage.
But if you mean "Lazer lazer lazer, run to other side of FD, lazer lazer lazer" The whole match..... Thats n00b all over it.
It really depends. Spamming can be good or bad for your Smash Reputation
This is how I see it as well. I main Pikachu and I sometimes use 3-4 thundershocks to try and put some space between me and my opponent. I have played WAY TOO MANY people that wait for you on one side of the stage and when you approach, they will do a f/d-smash and roll all the way to the other side where they repeat the SAME thing over and over again. It gets REALLY annoying after awhile and makes it feel like you are playing a little kid.

Flayl

Smash Hero
http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart1.htm

That is all. If spamming a move allows you to win, do it. However, a person coming to a situation of a spammer should figure out the pattern or weak spot, roll, spot dodge, and aerial dodge over to the spammer, and punish them.

The spammer is a noob if you can counter it, but if you can't counter it, then the tables are turned.
Street Fighter Player: David Sirlin, The Obsessed

And now I get to talk about myself! I am known secondarily for some of the same traits as Ortiz: my patience and ability to annoy opponents. But I am primarily known for my obsession with doing the same move over and over again. I try to find moves that are 100 times harder to stop than they are for me to do. If I can find something I can do over and over and over without fear of retaliation, then I am at my happiest. When I do discover such things, it doesnt say much for the games design, but that isnt my problem as a player, and I have no obligation to anyone to play a game as it was intended or in an exciting way. Janowski caused the two bishops to be called the two Jans, but I have caused myself to be called low strong after Roses move in Street Fighter.

The theory is that if an opponent cant stop a certain move, then I dont have to bother with the sticky business of predicting what they will do next. I also dont have to worry about them predicting what Ill do: we all know what Ill be doing! As long as whatever I am doing isnt making me lose, Im content to continue doing it and make the opponent prove that he can beat it.

I am also notoriously lacking in dexterity and technical skill at games. Ive always had to make up for this with my good sense of timing (exactly when to do a move). When it comes to tournament performance, I was able to dominate the scene in a particular version of the game called Street Fighter Alpha 2. I won national tournaments, and could consistently beat any opponent in the United States, save for Valle and Choi. In other games, I have reached the upper echelons, but other players have overshadowed me.

The lesson to learn from my play style is that while it can get extremely far, obsession with a single aspect of a game just cant go all the way. Even in my most successful showings in Alpha 2, my secret was that at the highest level of play against Valle and Choi, I had to abandon my same move over and over tactics in favor of using my backup characters, which I played with a much more well-rounded style. After realizing the superiority of Chois style, I have attempted to change my focus and use all the buttons.

Urb

Smash Journeyman
*Groans* I am not complaining about spamming, I'm just asking your opinions. I myself am quite skilled at getting past even the best of spammers.

Skalor

Smash Apprentice
If you get beat by spamming then you need to improove greatly.

Im playing at a reasonably high level with my friends. With Wolf Laser Spamming and FSmashing will NOT make me win.

Spamming is nooby, if its taken too far. But let them do it, its predictable and once you can stop the spam, you can always punish them.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I was told by a great pro during a match that I was trying to win through crouch canceling (back in melee):
"Look, I keep hitting you and you are going nothing. You keep trying and trying to do the same tactic and it isn't working. Do something else. If you were actually doing something, then this wouldn't be a problem." (roughly)

In other words, I'm going to spam until it stops working. When that happens, my attacks will change.

Top Bottom