• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is short hopping difficulty different with each character?

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I feel like short hopping with characters like MK, ganon, Zelda, is easier than doing it with Zss, Lucario, pikachu...

Blissard

Smash Lord
When you shorthop, you have to let go of jump before the character leaves the ground.

That being said, characters with slower jump speed (like heavyweights) are easier to SH with.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
Each character's SH is different because all characters have differing jump heights,speed, rate
of falling, weight and aerial horizontal mobility.
All of them can SH, but some of them shouldn't.

FIREL

Smash Ace
When you shorthop, you have to let go of jump before the character leaves the ground.

That being said, characters with slower jump speed (like heavyweights) are easier to SH with.
Lol, to the point where its difficult to fullhop >_> ... or im just not used to heavies

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Project M makes short hops easier. Brawl is just at its standard.

It's no big deal once you get used to it.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Each character's SH is different because all characters have differing jump heights,speed, rate
of falling, weight and aerial horizontal mobility.
All of them can SH, but some of them shouldn't.
Those don't affect short hop difficulty. How many frames you have to let go of the jump button is determined by the length of the characters jump squat animation which how long it takes for your character to leave the ground.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Nonsense. Short hopping in PM AND Melee is waaaayyy easy, Specially with Fox (on both games). Short Hop, B reversal double lasers for everyone!

Serious answer to thread:Yes, it's different.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Every time somebody talks about shorthopping being hard I will eat a kitten.

/formerPichumain

holyv

Smash Journeyman
maybe your controller has something under the X button mate
This is personal preference :DD

Mercurium

Smash Rookie
No, I just find having the jump button further away makes it easy to release earlier.
Or I just suck :urg:.

But, yeah, I'll probably have to check the X button anyway.

Espyo

Smash Apprentice
I think it's just you. I have a hard time doing anything with the Y button.
Anyway, it's what most people said: depends on the time the character takes to squat. AFAIK, Bowser is the slowest, and Falco is the fastest. You can use BrawlBox to check how many frames each character takes.

Top Bottom