• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is samus honestly tourney viable?

M@v

Subarashii!
Sadly, no. She pretty much got the shaft/uber nerfed/destroyed/whatever you want to call it/ in brawl.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
If you mean fit to not win a tourney then yes.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Actually i seen a really good Samus player, who used missle storm, and Zair for spacing, than an shield grabbable Sh Dair on me. Eating my glide with Up B. I think Samus is a really good character and she can win tourneys. Just your mind has to be in it and ready to win the tourney.

Btw i was just wondering. Do the Samus Boards Talk to the people with the Zamus boards? Or is it the same people? or like do u guys just run in an out of there and here?

kongfucius

Smash Cadet
How does one determine a tournament viable character anyways? If you are good enough with Samus that you win consistently, then she is tournament-calibre. The question is if YOU are tournament-calibre. Besides..a truly good tournament player never sticks to the same character one-hundred percent. Even ken uses fox sometimes, and that probably means that your not gonna face a metaknight with Samus.

The question is probably whether you can play her well enough to win, whether you are patient enough to use a character that does not rely upon swift killing strokes. If you're asking whether Samus will win a tournament EASILY, then no...

ADHD

Smash Hero
How does one determine a tournament viable character anyways? If you are good enough with Samus that you win consistently, then she is tournament-calibre. The question is if YOU are tournament-calibre. Besides..a truly good tournament player never sticks to the same character one-hundred percent. Even ken uses fox sometimes, and that probably means that your not gonna face a metaknight with Samus.

The question is probably whether you can play her well enough to win, whether you are patient enough to use a character that does not rely upon swift killing strokes. If you're asking whether Samus will win a tournament EASILY, then no...
You cannot win a tourney with jigglypuff unless everyone else there sucks... horribly.

kongfucius

Smash Cadet
You cannot win a tourney with jigglypuff unless everyone else there sucks... horribly.
Or if you:

-are godly with jiggs
-you see through their every move and hit them before they can execute it
-you know the game from top to bottom and know just what to do against each character, exploiting frame data even
-develop extremely good hand-eye coordination with a jiggs specified controller setup
-have master every jiggs specified AT and incoporated it into your playstyle

:confused:

paul1290

Smash Rookie
That depends on what tourney viable is.

If you're asking if you can do well in a tournament using Samus, then the answer is yes you can.

If you're asking whether you can win a tournament using Samus then the answer is maybe leaning towards no.

There's a big difference between doing well in a tournament and winning. As you get closer and closer to first place the difficulty seems undergo exponential growth if you aren't playing a top tier character.

The problem starts when the non-metaknight/snake players start getting weeded out. From then on there will have to be more Snake than Metaknight players left if you're going to have any chance at winning.

I feel asleep

Smash Apprentice
Personally, i feel she is very viable as a tournament character. Here is my tournament placings thus far.

I took 3rd at a launch tournament.
i took 3rd at a local tourny (50 sum odd people) and lost to the best wario in AZ in winners, and a friend i play with a bunch in losers.
I took 1st at another local tournament (84 entries)
I took 9th at AZone2step using only samus(115 entries)
I took 7th at another local tourny.(20-ish people)
I have been taking 5th-1st atmonthly tournaments.(25-50 people)
And i took 5th at a semi-local tourny.(30 people)

Snake's are 50-50 usually with me(dsf went 2-1 against me though x_x) I personally have far more trouble with Marth, and MK, but even those are win-able (beat one of AZ's best MK at the last tournament)

I Haven't been 'winning' not because i have a "crap character" but because I made mistakes, i called a grab when it was a F-smash, i went out to spike just a bit to far or improperly DI'd. things like that. If you're not good enough with a character to win, or even take top-10. you might wanna try picking up another character. (btw, i'm in a bad mood, so sorry if this makes anyone mad)

Samus is a viable character, i refuse to accept that she is bad. I may be ignorant, or i may be crazy. but i feel Samus is a VERY competent character. and it makes me sad to think people aren't playing her correctly, or even well. you gotta do the character you play justice, don't just say they're bad, PROVE THEY'RE NOT.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Samus is a difficult character to win with. I believe that she, like other fighters in Brawl, has potential that has yet to be tapped. Once it's tapped, we'll see a lot more of Samus. The same, I think, applies to Ganondorf, Kirby, Fox, and most of all, Luigi.

BUNI

Smash Apprentice
Actually i seen a really good Samus player, who used missle storm, and Zair for spacing, than an shield grabbable Sh Dair on me. Eating my glide with Up B. I think Samus is a really good character and she can win tourneys. Just your mind has to be in it and ready to win the tourney.

Btw i was just wondering. Do the Samus Boards Talk to the people with the Zamus boards? Or is it the same people? or like do u guys just run in an out of there and here?

I cant say for everyone but i love both Samus/Zamus and visit both boards a lot, and peach/marth.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Samus is a difficult character to win with. I believe that she, like other fighters in Brawl, has potential that has yet to be tapped. Once it's tapped, we'll see a lot more of Samus. The same, I think, applies to Ganondorf, Kirby, Fox, and most of all, Luigi.
I think one of the useful moves that Samus has is her neutral A (Jab). It has great priority. I have found myself using it a lot lately, though sometimes it'll clink with other peoples' attacks. Either way, it does wonders. I guess I've began using it, because I want to learn the nuances of each attack. That u-tilt is an awesome attack for edge-guarding, also. Man, Samus is awesome!

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Samus has a number of very good moves. She has tools, there's no debating that. However, as one of the wise men on SRK put it:
"All tools and no SMASH makes Samus a dull girl."

Crystanium

Smash Hero
he got one lucky win and got ***** the 2 other matches...sorry
You're talking about Tudor, I would assume. You should check out Tudor's videos if you haven't. He goes under the account name, "RenoSmash" at YouTube. You could also just write, "Samus Tudor" in the search. I'd say he is one of the best Samus mains out there, and he knows (because I told him) that I want play like he does and to be good as he is, if not better. Give him props, because if anything, he is a beast with Samus.

Metà

Smash Master
Rohins placed pretty well with Samus at my last tournament, which had about 50 players in Brawl. She's pretty bad (I don't play her much though, so maybe it's just me), but she's not nearly as bad as I initially thought. Give it some time and I think we'll some impressive Samus players popping up around the place. :)

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
So basically he can only win when he is a coward.

@Dryn: thanks for that note for Tudor's Samus vids. I'll have to check those out.

I don't want to be mean or to judge, that is one of the possibilities. Another is that he just found my weakness and used it against me. A lot of people do whatever it takes to win and that is why he places well in tourneys. He also has a very good Falco! Very skillful, technical, and smart.

TaurusOxford

Smash Rookie
I don't want to be mean or to judge, that is one of the possibilities. Another is that he just found my weakness and used it against me. A lot of people do whatever it takes to win and that is why he places well in tourneys. He also has a very good Falco! Very skillful, technical, and smart.
well, I don't take what he says to heart, but during the SMYN Brawl video review, SamuraiPanda mentioned that Falco's only saving grace is he is a great camping character, which I have noticed as well. Falcos who actually fight me I can beat. Falcos who stay on one side of the stage the whole time I can't.

Also, just watched some of your videos, and you are a **** fine Samus player. Wouldn't mind going against you one of these days. TAC can speak for me that I am not a total noob. He ranked me 4th best Samus on Brawl central. :)

Jing)

Smash Apprentice
yeah tudor that falco pretty much just ran away and shot and cg'd.. lame:p you wouldve won toe to toe, but why dont you upB to break his cgs? and also, are those videos you have posted under RenoSmash just vids of you playing or just wins? You never seem to lose in those haha=p

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
yeah tudor that falco pretty much just ran away and shot and cg'd.. lame:p you wouldve won toe to toe, but why dont you upB to break his cgs? and also, are those videos you have posted under RenoSmash just vids of you playing or just wins? You never seem to lose in those haha=p
It was my first time playing a good falco and i mist admit, i was very unprepared when it comes to those strategies. Hopefully I am more prepared next time. About the vids on Renosmash. I posted friendlies that I thought were good matches, I asked my opponents if they thought they were good matches to upload as well and they said yes. You could say the vids are biased but I mostly wanted to show that Samus can be good against good opponents. That is part of the reason I stopped uploading because I don't want people to think I upload vids to make myself look good, I just want people to see Samus's potential. Yes my opponent do win =/

Julz

Smash Apprentice
What annoys Samus players about Metaknight? I heard you could zair his tornado.

Do Samus players have a decent chance against Snake?

Is it easy avoiding D3's grab as Samus?

kongfucius

Smash Cadet

Metaknight is very short, very fast, hard to gimp, and can sometimes outprioritize samus. Those are the most fearful qualities.

D3's can infinite grab samus...screw attack works to break out if the penguin's stupid.

Samus is equal to snake in terms of matchup. Samus has a few advantages but snake is broken and lives TOO long.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Do you mean screw attack only works if the person screws up the chaingrab?
Yes. However, if Samus is at a high percentage(we're talking like 80% or more), then she can escape King Dedede's chaingrab using a well-timed nair. I almost never use that move otherwise.
Do you guys remember Melee? Remember that? Remember when the nair was good?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
He is tourney viable. I saw a good one at the last one I went to. I think he got 8th.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
samus isn't even that bad a character. she can't beat snake, therefore she can't win tournaments, but she's definitely viable.

Jing)

Smash Apprentice

These are good things to point out being as d3 snake and mk are top tourny chars atm..

IMO Samus is a decent counter to snake, i beat them all the time. She can upB out of dededes chaingrab, and hes a big target to hit with more air attacks out of dthrow and dtilt so he takes more dmg. Also I dont know for sure about zair mk tornado but i think itd work so basically that helps a ton for killing approach from Mk at least.

ADHD

Smash Hero
These are good things to point out being as d3 snake and mk are top tourny chars atm..

IMO Samus is a decent counter to snake, i beat them all the time. She can upB out of dededes chaingrab, and hes a big target to hit with more air attacks out of dthrow and dtilt so he takes more dmg. Also I dont know for sure about zair mk tornado but i think itd work so basically that helps a ton for killing approach from Mk at least.
You have to zair the very top of the tornado, nothing else penetrates it except bombs (sometimes I don't know the specifics but my bombs stop the tornado alot)

Drazon

Smash Cadet
IMO, she's a hard character to use. I don't see her winning huge tournaments or being a character to be feared. But I love Samus, and when she does win it's a victory for the entire Samus boards.

Metaphorically: Snake and Marth and Metaknight are like the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox.
You EXPECT them to win, but they can't win everything. Anything less than first place is a complete failure to them.

I feel asleep

Smash Apprentice
"No john's, play like a champion" is probably the best thing to say to people who play a character, then lose and say the character is bad. I witnessed someone ALMOST beat DSF's snake with GANONDORF. and i really feel if the player who was ganon played a bit better he could have had it.

There is no such thing as a bad character, but ease of use determines their "placing"
Snake and Meta-Knight are VERY easy characters to play as once you get the basics down, but say, Ganondorf or Yoshi are hard to play as because they lack speed and priority that gives anybody who picks up the game a chance to win with them.
Now, the Snake player's are more likely to win matches because the meta-game is so young. but i guarantee you, if somebody focused on ganon, played him, trained him, and more importantly PLAYED well, he has potential to beat ANY Snake.

No such things as bad characters, only bad players.

(sorry bout ranting on this thread...i do crap like this when i'm tired and bored)

Jing)

Smash Apprentice
I see samus winning a major tournament.... stop blaming characters for lack of skill imo=p but really, it doesnt make that big of a difference, ive never lost to friends of reasonable skill that use fox marth and rob more then once or twice and played them many times =)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
LOL at SAMUS players being mad because of camping. Seriously, No Johns. You won't get better if you just blame things like camping for your loss. Learn to adapt.

Jing)

Smash Apprentice
rofl hylian last i heard you quit samus to main ics and game and watch cause samus sucks in tourny.. ADAPT

Top Bottom