• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is PM your main game?

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
I main PM, 'cuz overall I really believe it's a better game than previous installments AND it still has potential to be better for a number of reasons.
1) Balance
Out of all the Smash games, PM is definitely the most balanced. Every character has enough utility and tools to fight another; no character in PM is left in the dust. Sure some characters may have bad matchups (Sonic vs Snake), but that is the nature of competitive games. Melee is definitely not a balanced game. People forget that there are characters beyond Spacies, Marth, Shiek, CF, Peach, Jiggs, and IC. Of course every character takes tech skill and has potential, but the potential of the high tiers exceeds the lower tiers to a point where all of those characters might as well not even be on the roster, and barring Darrell's awesome performance as Samus last ROM, the lower tiers almost never make top 5 in a tourney or even top 8, local or national. That is not balance.

2) WAY easier to get into
Melee has been around for a while, and the top dogs are there to stay. Let's face it, the Melee competitive scene has been full of the same faces for a while. The last newcomer to make it big was Dr.PP, and even he's considered a veteran now. And chances are there are some players around you locally that fill a similar role in your local community. If you want to make it as far as people like M2K, Mango, Dr.PP, or your local dominator, then you either have to spend an ungodly amount of time practicing, or just be really talented.

PM is still young and the community is the same. You can still make a name for yourself, and with tools to help you practice (flashing when L-canceling, Input buffer, harder CPU's, etc), PM makes it easier for you to do. Plus, with more characters, it's impossible to really become familiar in all matchups to a point where you know how to play them all perfectly, so even the best Fox can lose to a newcomer who plays a character that he hasn't seen. Granted, at this point in time, PM has evolved competitively and we see some people becoming entrenched the same way as Melee (Armada, M2K, etc.), but it hasn't gotten to the same point.

3) It's pretty
Sure it plays slower than Melee, but it's very close, and it looks 10x better than Melee. Seriously Melee Battlefield is a great stage, but it's color scheme is really boring. PM has some great stages and there are some even better custom stages. The possibilities are endless.

TL;DR -- PM is ****ing awesome, 'cuz Sakurai doesn't care about us, and player-made games are for the players.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
3) It's pretty
Sure it plays slower than Melee, but it's very close, and it looks 10x better than Melee. Seriously Melee Battlefield is a great stage, but it's color scheme is really boring. PM has some great stages and there are some even better custom stages. The possibilities are endless.

TL;DR -- PM is ****ing awesome, 'cuz Sakurai doesn't care about us, and player-made games are for the players.
Ever play P:M in HD on dolphin net-play? The game is absolutely gorgeous at a higher resolution, there is detail in the textures on everything that literally can't be appreciated at 640x480. People always ask if the PMBR is going to make a PM for Smash4. This is a stupid question for a number of reasons, but what a truly great goal would be to achieve is to unlock the vWii to the rest of the WiiU's hardware power and run P:M through vWii in HD. They would have to ASM edit the render code, but with the WiiU's additional RAM and GHz it should be as easy as messing with the numbers hard coded into the graphics engine for the game.

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
The thing you do to trolls is ignore them (and report them if the post is deserving). They only keep doing it if they get people going.

PM has spoiled me. I can't really play any other Smash game now!

PATH O__o

::The Pathological Trailmix::
3DS FC
0018-2341-8072
P:M is really the only smash game I currently play. So, yeah, I suppose I main it.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I first started with Brawl, and so I've been totally spoiled with having X as my grab button for some years now. I tried playing melee a little bit and the muscle memory is just too strong :/ also I feel like I don't have the wherewithal to be solid in multiple games. Oh well. So much love for melee though.
Well, you can still grab with X on Project M, I jump with Y even though everyone seems to do it with X :v

I agree with everything but this...Sakurai has shown that he's determined to make Smash4 the best, most balanced Smash game yet, Project M's better than Melee and Brawl, but I really doubt it'll ever surpass what Smash 4 is shaping up to be.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
D-idara, sakurai doesn't really have the credentials to convince anyone he can make a balanced smash game. Why you would think he can make something for the players better than the players can is beyond me. He's got more resources, yes, but he's also wearing the tinted goggles of his vision of the game and his history with the series. Additionally, he lacks experience in anything but the most casual play, where balance is nonsensical concept.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
But he works for a corporation, and, as rumor has it, has access to a whole drawer of shiney Nintendo Seals! Plus he deeply cares about the wallet in each and every one of all smasher's hearts.

On a more serious note, are they really still using a piecemeal Frankenstein of an engine? I mean, correct me if I am wrong, but they are pretty much still using the same engine they used 15 years ago... At least they aren't claiming it is brand new like zenimax does every release with gamebryo lol, I guess when they bought that company out they really decided to get their money's worth.

Actually raises a fair point I see people critisize PM for requiring less "effort" than it did to make Brawl, mostly people cite Brawls, now vastly improved, engine and silly borderline nonsensical things like that. It isnt that hard to do a bit of google fu and come to the realization that most games simply "rent" a lisceance from companies that do little more than produce engines themselves. Very few, if any, companies actually make in-house engines for their games.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I've played PM nearly exclusively ever since I found out about it, but that may be the influence of people around me. I've been trying to get into Melee, but I don't own the game and everyone at school would rather play PM, so that's that.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yes I main PM. I secondary Melee still. I still have my Melee disc, but I don't main or use any of the top 7(actually viable) characters sooo...... yeah.
I'll play Melee friendlies all day, but I won't really enter any Melee tournaments nowadays.

I don't have high hopes for smash 4, so I'm also learning Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 on the side.

Last edited:

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
I play PM more then melee now because I played melee to the point it was work to play and not fun I still alternate between the two

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Holy crap, talk about people not getting it. I said there are plenty of people who have made PM their main game, but a lot of Melee top players who play it treat it as a mini vacation.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
I main P:M because it has the best things of all smash games. Smash 4 will probably be a little disappointing in comparison, but I hope I'm wrong about that.

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I main PM because the only reason why I played Brawl was to make mods for it, but I liked Melee's gameplay better. PM comes along and is the best of both of them.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
The only smash game I currently play is Project M.

If someone asks me to play Melee with them, I will not mind playing, but I really don't care anymore about trying to win in that game. I'll just pick Roy and try to take him as far as I can. I won't go out of my way to play Melee. I'll just play if I'm invited. I have the same approach to Smash 64.

For Brawl, while I respect that some people enjoy playing it, I will generally politely refuse because a grumpy Vigilante is not good company.

I believe I became an exclusive PM player at the very moment that Roy was finally released to the public. I had been going to events using a rusty Lucario, pretending I still mained him so that people wouldn't catch on that Roy was coming. I was seen playing Roy in Melee after all and I didn't want people to make that link. I didn't hate it, but I was really looking forward to showing him off. Whenever people asked me about whether Roy was happening, inside, I was dying to tell them.

With this release, I have no reason to go back to Melee despite deeply respecting its design. There was a time where I understood people's reticence toward Project M, but now, I personally believe that as we have advanced in our releases, we have made it more and more difficult to justify that reticence.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
PM is my main game for sure.

I enjoy running and spectating Brawl tournaments for the homies I started into the scene with.
I enjoy playing and watching Melee events because it's fantastic and fast.
I enjoy playing PM because I get to work on a game I love, play (sometimes) with the homies I started into the scene with and can play a fantastic and fast game with blends of all 3 other smash games.

I haven't read the other pages up to prog+vigi's posts, but play what you like. Enjoy what you like, but we're all a community here. Just keep the atmosphere positive.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I main PM because the only reason why I played Brawl was to make mods for it, but I liked Melee's gameplay better. PM comes along and is the best of both of them.
I agree completely, I liked Brawl's soundtrack and stages and characters, but it was ugly. Put in melee gameplay and do some tweaking to where I can seriously main DK and you've got it for me

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
I love Project M, and as a guy who exclusively plays it, I do everything I can to further it's development and popularity. I love seeing PM at all of these events, giving it more and more success.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I've already posted in this thread but I want to clarify;

I main Project M as since I never played Melee competitively, I do not see a reason to go back at all being that all things that made Melee so fantastic are in Project M plus more. I also don't play Brawl due to my dislike of the slow gameplay but I do play Smash 64 for the interesting combos and nostalgic feel. Smash 4 is also a similar case; it's gameplay will differ from Project M but if it still has a competitive feel on it it'll be fun to to play not unlike Smash 64, I will still main Project M though.

I still play other competitive fighters like Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition and Persona 4 Arena but the deep and constantly evolving metagame that Project M possesses is like no other. Long live this game!

Last edited:

Kerenthar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Radagast_DACC
I main SD Remix. I was always in the dilemma between balanced and competitive Smash and SDR match-up is actually very good. I still play Project:M, however, for all the improvements and fun.

Kati

Smash Lord
Besides the odd game from steam (which is none currently), PM is all I play. I doubt I will buy a new console or console game until at least 2016.

Ali Baba 177

Smash Journeyman
PM is the most fun, offers the most varied competitive experience, and also has a more fun/better chaotic party experience when need be.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I see no reason to play Melee anymore.
Yeah, no offense to Melee, but it has already been said that the game has had its time and I think we've moved on to other games (PM) that just have so much more of what we want with much less of that stuff that we both don't want and have been dealing with not wanting for many, many years now.

The diversity alone is a big deal for me. Watching the same top 5~ characters in Melee gets real old, real fast. And it isn't just Melee, but any game that turns up like that.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I don't think I could ever get bored of Melee.

It's just everyone else I play with gets bored of it. :_;

They have more fun with Project M. I have fun with both Melee, and Project M about evenly.

Cassio

Smash Master
The people who got bored are usually the people who weren't that good.

Edit: Also for me its Brawl > Melee > PM/64. I genuinely do enjoy PM and perhaps have the most fun playing it, but of the smash games I find it the least rewarding competitively.

Last edited:

Epiphany

Smash Rookie
Been playing Brawl for years and finally decided to try out PM. It's cool how some characters get different costumes and such, but there's only one thing I don't like.

The gameplay.

It's frustrating beyond words. On Brawl, the gameplay was positively smooth and easy to maneuver. On PM I found it to be very heavy and extremely laggy., I've lost countless battles from not being able to move. It also wasn't that fun to win like on the other games, but besides that, I guess it's ok. I only play it because I don't want to disappoint my brothers. If the Brawl gameplay was added, I'd love it to bits.

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
I've played all the smashes fairly competitively over the years

and these days I main Project M
same with most of my friends that play smash

I can't look back it's pretty much everything i ever could have wanted out of a smash game
(I still play other smashes on occasion none of them am I as involved in as P:M)

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Been playing Brawl for years and finally decided to try out PM. It's cool how some characters get different costumes and such, but there's only one thing I don't like.

The gameplay.

It's frustrating beyond words. On Brawl, the gameplay was positively smooth and easy to maneuver. On PM I found it to be very heavy and extremely laggy., I've lost countless battles from not being able to move. It also wasn't that fun to win like on the other games, but besides that, I guess it's ok. I only play it because I don't want to disappoint my brothers. If the Brawl gameplay was added, I'd love it to bits.
If you're coming from brawl experience, the game should feel significantly different.

I'd say stuff about the rest of what you said but that all comes from different mechanics from each game.

Have you played Melee or 64 smash before?

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
As of late, it goes:

Melee Falco > PM > Melee > 64/Brawl

I can enjoy playing either one of those games, and will play them as long as there are people who want to play with me. If only I was able to play with more than 2 people...

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Yeah, a big part of it feeling laggy to you is probably the lack of buffering in PM by default. I was used to Brawl when I first started playing PM and it felt weird to not have a buffer at first. As for it feeling heavy, that's just that falling speeds were made to match Melee's in order to retain the fast-paced gameplay

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
PM is my main smash. I occasionally like to pretend I have any idea how to play the melee cast, to humorous results. Brawl is incredibly boring to me. I've never played 64 or any of the other Brawl mods. I don't like all of smash, but #OneUnit.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
@ Epiphany Epiphany
To elaborate on what Scuba Steve said, there actually is an option to turn buffer on, which should make things feel "smoother" for you. The Wifi-safe version also has an option to allow buffer to be set for individual players, if the buffer makes the game too choppy for your friends, although that version also has its own control issues.

ShadowShlong

Smash Cadet
The people who got bored are usually the people who weren't that good.

Edit: Also for me its Brawl > Melee > PM/64. I genuinely do enjoy PM and perhaps have the most fun playing it, but of the smash games I find it the least rewarding competitively.
You mean you find Brawl the most competitively rewarding? That's a very different opinion from most :0
I played melee casually until brawl came out, and exclusively played brawl since not even noticing the difference (mind you i was a casual 9th grade player when brawl came out) and up until this past year at college i had been enjoying watching brawl tournaments and what intense brawl sessions with my friends. I started watching PM videos on either CT or VGBC and slowly brawl was becoming more toxic to me. i'd find myself trying to do PM combos in brawl, failing cause of how floaty it was and just getting frustrated. I suddenly came to hate how slow it felt, how lame some of the characters felt compared to their project M counter-parts.
When i finally played PM the choice to drop brawl entirely was obvious, as playing PM felt so much more rewarding, getting off combos with characters that weren't even viable before. The general speed of the game also made the choice to drop brawl easier.
Nowadays i mostly exclusively watch PM vids, and have slowly been getting more into the competitive scene.

Top Bottom