• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is playing to win dead!?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
You're making an assumption that I actually care what you think. You're wrong. At a tournament, I don't care about fun as much as I care about winning. Sorry.
It was a quote from a television show, but that's not the point, you clearly didn't get what I was trying to say with it. You're the kind of person that will suck the life out of this game with exploits and general cheap crap. What you're doing isn't much different from the super bounces in Halo 2. It gave whoever pulled it off a huge advantage over everyone else. It's possible to take them out, sure, but they're going to keep pulling the trigger just as much as you are, and their ******** teammates running around don't help much either.

It should be banned. When everyone's paid the same entrance fee, the competition should be as fair as possible. The winner should be based purely on raw skill, not on how well they can exploit an infinite.

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
It should be banned. When everyone's paid the same entrance fee, the competition should be as fair as possible. The winner should be based purely on raw skill, not on how well they can exploit an infinite.

Im just going to add my two cents here.

IC chain grab is an infinite, which means that the player that is being attacked has no control over his/her character whatsoever until death (assuming the IC player makes doesnt a mistake)

Whilst this is a skill, it's also game breaking, because the player being attacked helpless for an extended period of time. Thus once the character has been grabbed, the IC player isnt fighting an opponent any longer, as much as he/she is practicing a closed skill routine.

In being game breaking, all infinites, including the IC infinate grab, should be banned.

Now, in response to the original post, you are only playing to win as far as you do whatever it takes to win within the rules. What I mean is that by using the chain grab while it's legal, you are playing to win. But, if that technique is banned, you must find the next best way to win. You cannot win by sitting there, trying to smear Brawl's already poor reputation. You will have to find another way :)

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I agree with whoever said that if you rely on an infinite to win, then you are a scrub... Besides the fact, what happens when it's IC vs IC... It no longer becomes a battle... It is then theoretically a competition to see who can grab the other person first... That is why it is banned... Seriously, who would want to watch that?

Wrath`

Smash Master
id say just dont get grabbed, but yeah when all is paid and done things that have NO CHANCE OF GETTING out of should be banned, for its basicly "haa die."

but if you cant find more than one way to use a character, well you need some work.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
"Don't get grabbed?"

Do you know how hard that is? To play an entire tournament match without getting grabbed once? Perhaps if it wasn't so easy to grab, but that is not the case in Smash... You not only have to space your opponent constantly to keep them out of grab range, but also be wary not to get shield grabbed! Most killing moves are either easy to dodge or shield, both of which take one more button press to create a grab...

Let's say you're in a match where you're facing the IC... You have 0% damage on yourself, and they have enough damage for an easy kill... The way Brawl works, you've probably had to fight hard to get them that high (not only because you had to avoid their grab attempts but also because you can't combo them easily)... Now then, you go in for the killing blow... They just shield grab it, throw you into the infinite, and you're dead... Does that seem like fair play to you?

I hate these so-called simple responses that have no backing to them... C'mon now... :/

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
wtf dude thats messed up. if you pick iceclimbers and they get chaingrabbed to 999 percent, then too bad for them for not figuring something out, or picking iceclimbers themselves and doing it. I havent seen any problems with this and I've been to a few tournaments where SOMEONE *coughDESUcough* chaingrabs everyone back and forth with DDD. I dont know what whacked out tournament youre going to or what kind of scrubs were there, but it shouldnt be banned.
Figuring something out mid-inescapable chain grab? Good stuff if you can do that. Also, MK can't be chain grabbed by D3, so you can't use that. D3's chain grab isn't always an infinite and you can get out of it if there isn't a wall, whereas IC? Doesn't matter where you are. As long as nothing will affect them as they are doing it, you can't get out and you pretty much just have to sit back and hope for a mistake, which is stupid.

Oh, and using the "JUST PICK IC" argument is exactly why it would be banned, if the game dumbs down to IC dittos, it'll be banned. IC chain grabs are on a completely different level than D3, so don't even try and compare the two.

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
I agree with whoever said that if you rely on an infinite to win, then you are a scrub... Besides the fact, what happens when it's IC vs IC... It no longer becomes a battle... It is then theoretically a competition to see who can grab the other person first... That is why it is banned... Seriously, who would want to watch that?
Stfu, it's not the only way I can win. Stop using the term scrub until you know what it means. (Even if it were the only technique I could use, as long as I was playing to win, I wouldn't be considered a scrub, which is why you fail so hard at calling me one.) I'm tired of explaining that **** a million times.

AND AGAIN> I will say that -

1. The IC's chain grabs are still in development. There is still much to be found.

2. It's too early for a banning, this was only my third tournament since brawl's release and my first tourney back here.

3. The reason why it was banned was because people whined!!!

I'm pretty much done repeating myself. So... yeah continue this thread if you wish but, I'm calling it closed/

DragonRider-ofSmashBros

Smash Apprentice
Grinnell, IA...... or something like that
Stfu, it's not the only way I can win. Stop using the term scrub until you know what it means. (Even if it were the only technique I could use, as long as I was playing to win, I wouldn't be considered a scrub, which is why you fail so hard at calling me one.) I'm tired of explaining that **** a million times.

AND AGAIN> I will say that -

1. The IC's chain grabs are still in development. There is still much to be found.

2. It's too early for a banning, this was only my third tournament since brawl's release and my first tourney back here.

3. The reason why it was banned was because people whined!!!

I'm pretty much done repeating myself. So... yeah continue this thread if you wish but, I'm calling it closed/
Then why do you continue to complain??? If its not the only way you can win, then use one of the other ways

Corigames

Smash Hero
The move isn't unavoidable. Don't get grabbed and they can't infinite you. It would be different if it the screen said GO and you were already trapped in an inescapable combo.

Avoid the grabs, kill nana, keep them separated, do ANYTHING to them.

Bud

Smash Journeyman
what happens when they sit back and spam ice and when you come near shield grab, but sometimes they dont grab but tilt then grab you. Avoiding grabbing for a whole stock is extremely difficult if all the other guy is doing is go for grabs. If you still dont believe me simply ask a good player to play a game with you and only try to grab you. If you dont get grabbed the whole game then maybe your right. But it wont happen, your going to get grabbed.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Figuring something out mid-inescapable chain grab? Good stuff if you can do that.
I didnt say to escape the chaingrab mid-way did I? There were inescapable chaingrabs in melee and they werent banned. All I said was figure SOMETHING out, like seperate the Ice Climbers or something, which seems a lot easier to do in this game.

Also, MK can't be chain grabbed by D3, so you can't use that. D3's chain grab isn't always an infinite and you can get out of it if there isn't a wall, whereas IC?
I didnt say MK could be chaingrabbed, and thank god he cant <_< but this DDD uses chaingrabs on every other character he can and it IS inescapable, until he reaches the end of the stage anyway

Doesn't matter where you are. As long as nothing will affect them as they are doing it, you can't get out and you pretty much just have to sit back and hope for a mistake, which is stupid.
infinite throws can be banned with IC to a cetain extent (like percentage or whatever) but not completely...

Oh, and using the "JUST PICK IC" argument is exactly why it would be banned, if the game dumbs down to IC dittos, it'll be banned. IC chain grabs are on a completely different level than D3, so don't even try and compare the two.
I have nothing to say here really <_< youre right by saying that if the metagame boils down to IC as clearly above the rest, then he will be banned but I dont think thatll happen

Bud

Smash Journeyman
inescapable means you cant escape, DDD's is ESCAPABLE because he runs out of room and damage builds up. If it is banned to a certain extent then it is no longer infinite chain grab, its 4 or 5 in a row or you lose. lol

Top Bottom