• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is my fox decent yet????? probably not =(

PK Webb

Smash Champion

D1

Banned via Administration
I'm hella tired from hosting DIP! so I'll check it when I wake up T____T

nyc_tag$

Smash Journeyman
I see you've taken my advice about the dairs :laugh:

You've def gotten better. Just work on getting faster. I can't really give you any new general advice, I've told you pretty much everything I could think of before.

One thing you should change though is your followup to up throw. I noticed that you do nair or uptilt sometimes after an upthrow where your opponent doesn't DI. Personally, against fox or falco, I always just get the upsmash or chaingrab if possible because it's a safer bet for leading to bigger combos and more damage.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I like your fox, get those thunders, destroys spacies so badly. I agree with nyc tag$ Usmash after Uthrow owns.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
at around 80-90% when they dont DI, either try to Bair if you're near the ledge and then edgeguard, or charge upsmash. u did a lot of shine bairs in this situation, and basically missed all of them. friendlies. meh.

there are more efficient ways to edeguard his side-b's to the edge/just above the stage than run off->shine spike. namely, run off nair, or just plain downsmas, and if you're a baller, shien turnaround waveland off bair. I only bring this up cuz you both would try to punish each others (very predictable) double jump instant side-B by running jumping off and shining. friendlies. meh.

when you upthrow them to a platform at low percent and they miss the tech, upair, not dair. Dair can be easily sdi'd off the platform. Upair combos into grab/upsmash/whatever.

other than that, seems good. again, i generally disliek critiquing friendlies cuz you're both using suboptimal tactics (probably on purpose)

PK Webb

Smash Champion
sum1 told me if i up throw them on a platform and dair it resets them unless they were holding left or right......and if they roll left or right i just react with up smash.......thanks for the advice anyways....yea they were friendlies.....i dont usually try shine bair but they look kool....ill just be more direct and just nair or bair....im trying to use d smash more as a edgeguard against sweetspot illusions.....ill try and get a tourney match recorded

Leacero

Smash Lord
We should play again one day, TWebb. :D

Basically the others said the same things I would say about the videos: the uthrow followups. Another thing I'd want to add is that I generally add in one or two pummels during each regrab of the uthrow (at the proper percents of course), extra damage is mostly never a bad thing.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
sum1 told me if i up throw them on a platform and dair it resets them unless they were holding left or right......and if they roll left or right i just react with up smash.......thanks for the advice anyways....yea they were friendlies.....i dont usually try shine bair but they look kool....ill just be more direct and just nair or bair....im trying to use d smash more as a edgeguard against sweetspot illusions.....ill try and get a tourney match recorded
yea the dair thing does work the way you describe but, it wont work on people who try to sdi. The same way people sdi your regular dair and **** you, they can sdi rght off of the platform and combo ends. Upair accomplishes everything dair does, you can land the same combo moves after, and it just HURTS.

i used to use dair too until i played raynex/unknown and they'd sdi all my dair and then upair me in the same situations and i saw the light ;)

JPOBS

Smash Hero
how do u sdi?
basically, everytime you get hit by an attack, you experience hitlag and you're actually not moving. Hitlag only a few frames though and it happens so fast its hard to notice it at all on most attacks before you start moving from the knockback. for every frame of hitlag, you can theoretically input a direction on the control stick, and your character will will move in that during the hitlag, but before you actually get knocked away by the knockback. there are crazy action replay vids on youtube showing silly things happening when you manage to input a direction on every single frame but thats obviously not applicable to humans.

Its easier to SDI multihit moves tho because there are more chances to input the DI, because the move hits more than once (duh). So for example on fox's dair, all the person has to do is hit/tap/smash/whatever the controlstick in the direction which leads them off the platform, and they can actually slide right off while you're still dairing. which is why upair is like a million time better. its harder to sdi, does more damage, and still combos into upsmash/upairx2/grab whatever floats your boat.

i guess i should note that this works better the closer they are initially to the edge, if they land directly in the middle of the platform, it would have to be really good sdi on the dair to sldie off, but still, you get the point.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
basically, everytime you get hit by an attack, you experience hitlag and you're actually not moving. Hitlag only a few frames though and it happens so fast its hard to notice it at all on most attacks before you start moving from the knockback. for every frame of hitlag, you can theoretically input a direction on the control stick, and your character will will move in that during the hitlag, but before you actually get knocked away by the knockback. there are crazy action replay vids on youtube showing silly things happening when you manage to input a direction on every single frame but thats obviously not applicable to humans.

Its easier to SDI multihit moves tho because there are more chances to input the DI, because the move hits more than once (duh). So for example on fox's dair, all the person has to do is hit/tap/smash/whatever the controlstick in the direction which leads them off the platform, and they can actually slide right off while you're still dairing. which is why upair is like a million time better. its harder to sdi, does more damage, and still combos into upsmash/upairx2/grab whatever floats your boat.

i guess i should note that this works better the closer they are initially to the edge, if they land directly in the middle of the platform, it would have to be really good sdi on the dair to sldie off, but still, you get the point.
You don't have to SDI the dair to slide off the platform every time. If you are on one of the sides of the platform, holding left or right (standard d.i.) is enough to make your character slide off. If you find yourself in the middle of the platform sexy d.i. is required, like you mentioned.

Depending on the percent, follow-ups after the uair may not be possible. At low percents the uair doesn't launch spacies high enough to combo into usmash/grab, so you'll have to freestyle. If the uair hits and a combo isn't possible, watch for the missed tech! You can utilt, usmash anyways, jab reset, or drop through the platform for a second techchase uair.

Good information in that post Tristan.

Twebb:

Against Falco:

0:30 - Don't just "do". You FH daired before checking to see if he had teched or not. Slow it down, assess the situation, and you will be able to find more opportunities for combos.

1:06 - You techchase with grab a bit too much. If this techchase ended in a shine (optional X2), stock gone. You still got good damage, but you carried him to the other side of the stage for no reason.

1:22 - Why did you hit him back across the stage? Working to push them to one side, then hitting them back behind you, makes no sense. Have a plan and don't give away simple positional advantages like that.

2nd match, Fox:

0:08 - Techchase uthrow near the edge, and you didn't knock him off the stage? friendlies. meh.

...then I didn't finish watching it. :laugh:

JPOBs has a point. Clearly, facile combos or edge-guarding had no place in these matches. I know friendlies are awesome and all, but its difficult to critique and give advice based on careless and substandard play.

General Advice:

-Don't illusion straight at your opponent so often. It's arguably the easiest method of recovery to edge-guard.

-Don't dair from the edge as much. If you're going to do anything in friendlies its ledge-wavedash. Friendlies provide the means to practice and perfect it, so use that to your advantage!

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Dam.......canadian posts just keep showin me how bad I am =(........oh well back to the drawin board

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Everyone has room to improve. From all of us in the Fox boards to Mango/Hbox/PP etc. If you ask for advice, you better be prepared to get critiqued harshly.

Did you go to those times in the video to understand the advice that was given? It's not that you're bad...you just need to make better decisions. Keep working at it T.Webb.

Top Bottom