• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it normal to hardly ever win?

XeroSprite

Smash Rookie
Are you playing For Glory or with friends? It can't be that hard, at least in the case that I'm in.

What do you main/consider your main?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It is your first Smash and the game is only out for less than two months. Fighting games usually ask for a long time to "get good".

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Yikes. 50+ losing streak would defiantly hit morale hard. But which modes are you playing? For Fun? Friends? For Glory? Going to tournaments? We need more information if we're going to help you.

It is your first Smash and the game is only out for less than two months. Fighting games usually ask for a long time to "get good".
StarStrike said it was his/her first game (s)he tried to play competitively. Easy to misread, but StarStrike likely played other Smash games if I'm reading it right.

Starry.

No Life Princess
For Glory and just matches against people from SmashBoards.

I usually play Sheik, ZSS and Lucina but for the past week i've been just playing Sheik (and doing terribly I might add)

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Did you ever go into training mode and trying out each move, figuring out which ones combo when and which ones KO when?

Edit: Learning, using, and applying advice is probably best either in action or going to training mode and beating up the CPU as you're applying the advice.

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Just watched the one of you vs Mr. S. Your first stock seemed to be smooth sailing, but then you just... Fell apart. I noticed that you seem to use Bouncing Fish onto the stage. A lot. This winds up into leaving yourself open for your opponent to slam you with an attack. Use Vanish (up-b) to mix up your recovery and go for the ledge. Going onto the stage leaves you wide open, as I've learned the hard way. And I would not recommend charged smashes. Just quick smashes unless your opponent is dizzy or you are faking out a counter.

XeroSprite

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately I can't help you hands on since I have to go to work soon, I can help you get references to get better where you can try to understand how things work.

There's a video up on youtube named "Smash 4 Mechanics Guide" which can help you find a base in how you should play according to the game's ground rules as each game of Smash is different.

There are guides I can't link due to lack of 10 posts, but you can easily find them.

I haven't played Sheik so I can't give any advice on how you can start, but what I did to get better at a slow/moderate pace was fighting single random 9 bots on omega maps after unlocking everything. Smash and Special attacks can leave you open if you're not reading your opponent, so try to combo on the ground, and in the air, and use grabs as combo startups, but don't be predictable with your movement.

That's the best I can do for you right now, hopefully you find this helpful.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Just watched you vs Wii Fit Trainer. Early on, you defiantly wanted that grab desperately. You seemed to spam it from the get-go. I don't know how effective Lucina's grabs are, but I would advice applying pivot-grabbing (tough, I know) and shield grabbing if you want the grab. Also, you were throwing out Shield Breakers at random and at one point left yourself wide open to a Sun Salutation. That was repeated a second time with f-smash. But the biggest issue here is not going for the ledge. Go for the ledge. It allows you to get back on stage safely most of the time. I cannot stress this enough. Don't mean to come across as rude or bossy, but that is a critical error in gameplay: not using the invincibility the ledge provides you the first time you get on it.

Edit: In the ZSS vs Lucina match, you are throwing out F-Smashes off the wazoo. So much that I believe that it is getting stale, which reduces knockback, but not sure about damage. Also, use D-Smashes. They stun the opponent and leaves them open to another attack. Also think about using side-b. That was one of her better moves in Brawl if I remember and has good range. Weaker in this game, but good range.

Last edited:

AngeloHollow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4585-8889
I would advise that you stop focusing on using one attack and use whichever attacks would be advantageous for you and disadvantageous for your opponent without leaving yourself too open. If an attack doesn't work after say... 2 times, then find a way different way of damaging your opponent.

S2

Smash Lord
Don't give up, if you're playing good players then you're improving, even if it doesn't feel like it sometimes. Trust me, even the most veteran player will feel like a ragdoll when they get beaten by someone better. It's often frustrating because it's hard to pinpoint what exactly you need to do to improve and get to their level.

Here's some potential tips that may be of use:

-When playing opponents, spend the majority of your time observing what they do and how they react to certain things. Sizing up your opponent can be crucial. Things to specifically pay attention to are: which way opponents tend to roll/get up, do they have a preference for how they get up from ledges, do they always block every approach, is there an unsafe or mostly safe move they like to use over and over?

People play in patterns and baddies won't change them. If you know they always get up with a roll, you can usually punish them for it at least once. I have fun playing Ganon online because he's the king of killing people off of hard reads. And there are a lot of players who are very easy to read.

-The opposite side of the coin is this. If your opponent is punishing you in any of the above aspects, purposely do what you normally don't. A good player is going to notice your patterns, part of good mindgames is baiting them into stuff by not following them all the time.

-Know when not to use "good" moves. I also play Sheik, so I'll be character specific here. Sheik players love certain attacks, specifically that f-air punch, throws, jabs, other fast moves. Unless a player is at a very high percent, you've probably f-aired enough to stale it. That's fine, the point here is to not use up-air. Sheik's up-air is a great aerial. It is also a kill move. So don't use it, unless you going for a killing blow.

Same thing with bouncing fish, except here the application is a little different. Bouncing fish is a nice way of punishing unsafe moves from a distance. Like up-air it can kill. The advantage of not using it is different though. If you don't use it all match, opponents will often not be looking out for it as much because you've got a pattern of never using the move. Good opponents are always going to know your bag of tricks and be cautious of them, but if you're using something like bouncing fish a bunch, an opponent is probably just either waiting for it or trying to bait it.

-Last thing I'll throw out there is knowing when to approach. Sheik can rush down, but she also can force approaches on a lot of the cast. Don't be afraid to switch between the two. If you're fighting a DK, don't give a care whether he hates you fro throwing needles at him, that's his problem. He's heavy and has no projectile, unless you have a opening or a punish, make him play aggressive.

To add to that. Bad players who feel forced into approaching make tons of mistakes. Needles actually do minimal damage unless fully charged. But their job is to annoy, force approaches, pressure, etc. Mediocre players often get so annoyed they'll rush in instead of tanking the damage while making a safe approach.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
I can't say much strategy-wise that hasn't been said already, but I do have a few morale and study tips.

Save your good and your bad replays, and rewatch them to learn. Then, you can laugh at your former self, analyse where you went wrong, such as by letting your opponent(s) get a hard read off you, or if your opponent(s) just got a lucky read off something they could never have seen coming. This leads to...

In the individual moment, luck will always beat skill, given enough of the former. Sometimes it takes enough luck to make Nell look like Calamity James, but it's still true. This is why fighting games last longer than real street fights, and don't gimp characters as they take damage - videogames are fairer than reality, and for good reason. Master melee combatants can lose to the wild flailings of prepubesent kids if a critical weak spot is hit. While this doesn't apply in the macrogame of tournaments, due to their round-based system, and you won't get stomped by someone you outclass by miles, fairly even matchups can be decided by such things. Let it brush off your back, and strike again when the Lady's back is turned. By the same token, don't get cocky, just because you won once. Your opponent might still be better than you. Keep your head screwed on tight, and never ever get complacent.

Don't lose your focus just because something went bad, or you lost a match you really should have won. (The latter tip applies more online, I've "screwed up" many a perfect-read Vision counter or Arcfire/Thunder-Levin SHFF ground combo due to a sudden latency spike, and lost because of it) This applies to even the most competitive of games, however rarely (but a tourney winner will rarely admit that they only won due to hamfisting the controls when they actually had a bad read, would they now? :p)

Take a break every now and then. Sm4sh is your hobby, don't make it a job. If you get frazzled and frustrated, you mess up. If you get "in the zone" for a match, the ensuing adrenaline crash will also mess you up. Just take a breather every now and again to collect yourself and go in fresh. It's also the way to retain knowledge and practice. Think of it like study or exercise. You need to gradually, and routinely, learn your way. You can't just git gud by cramming in one day.

And no johns. A lucky win is still a win, an unlucky loss is still a loss.

Last edited:

SmashBear

Smash Cadet
NNID
PotatoMunches
3DS Smash Bros. is the first smash bros game i've played competitively however over the past few days I have been on a huge losing streak with 50+ losses in a row with no wins. I'm really disheartened especially after i've been putting in a lot of effort to improve only to find i'm losing way more than I used to.

I don't want to give up but I'm starting to consider that maybe i'm not cut out for smash bros.
Try not to worry about this stuff considering ussualy people who play the game for the first time get better the more you play it but i'll still have a guide on how to do get better.Also i saw your gameplay video so i made a list.
So first thing you might wanna learn is your kill moves and combo moves for example if i wanna play sheik correctly i might want to try her first by going to training mode and learns her combo moves like this
Combo Moves= Fair,Jab,
Combo And followups=Down Grab to Uair USmash to a Fair
Kill Moves = Up Smash Bair Uair
So bassicaly what i'm saying is to learn your combos effectively and you are going to want to learn what time to use them and what percentages they will be best at and i suggest at 80% to start using your kill moves.

Zoning
I saw in your sheik video that you sometimes used your needles at times where ZSS could have easily punished you so i suggest using projectile moves as zoning things for peck damage and make sure they arent near you when you are using your needles or you can get punished

Punishes
I suggest when punishing to wait until the ending lag to attack not while in the attack frames are still occuring and if they are at higher percents try to slip in a smash attack to probably take the stock.Also try not to run away very often

Anyways respond back if any of this helps you be better also one final tip learn from your mistakes

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
I'm honestly not much better than you, but I watched your match vs Mr. S's ZSS and your Shiek ditto with Wyverian, and noticed some things. Like the people above me said, you tend to stale your kill moves a lot, keeping your murder moves fresh is really important for light, fast characters like Shiek. You tend to throw out moves randomly a lot, namely Ftilt and Fsmash, and just sort of expect people to run into them, this happened quite a few times with Ftilt in your match against Wyverian, but it's not something you should rely on, especially with Fsmash, as it was probably really stale by the end of the match. Also, Shiek's needles are an excellent tool to punish landings, force approaches, and just pester people in general. If needle storm isn't fully charged, you should be charging it whenever you have a (safe) opportunity, you didn't always charge your needles when you could have. Also, needlecamping is something you should definitely do more often. In the matches I saw, you would often try to approach when you didn't have to. ZSS(Mr.S) doesn't have an answer to needle storm, and I'm 90% sure a fully charged one will go through Zamus' stun shot. If you have any sort of character advantage at all, exploit it shamelessly. It also wouldn't hurt to be a bit more careful in general. Running shield is a great way to close distance. I saw you run straight into Wyverian's needles once or twice when you could have easily avoided it. You also tend to dash attack a lot, even at close range, I'd suggest a running grab once in a while to mix things up, you seemed to have an idea of how to combo out of Shiek's throws, and it can't be shielded, so Shiek's fast speed makes this pretty dangerous. Lastly, in general, you should try to avoid laggy moves like string bomb and bouncing fish, unless you're sure they'll connect, otherwise they're easily punished. Sorry for the word wall, and I hope I could help somewhat.

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
Honestly it's not a bad thing to lose all the time since most of the time you can learn more about your opponent and you can adapt faster and know how matchups work and what matchups are good for your main and what aren't for example I was sucking against this japanese player who was using ness but then I figured out his pattern and won so use your losing streak to your advantage as a way to learn and figure out matchups.

AngeloHollow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4585-8889
Honestly it's not a bad thing to lose all the time since most of the time you can learn more about your opponent and you can adapt faster and know how matchups work and what matchups are good for your main and what aren't for example I was sucking against this japanese player who was using ness but then I figured out his pattern and won so use your losing streak to your advantage as a way to learn and figure out matchups.
Exactly this, and another key thing is to not get frustrated, otherwise you can't think as clearly, and you won't be able to see your errors and change up tactics as needed it. It's important to stay clearheaded during a match.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I watched your Lucina vs WFT match. Here's what you need to do as Lucina.

-Use more Side B when your are in range to hit with it
-Don't spam smash attacks and shieldbreaker, especially when they aren't even close enough to get hit
-Your throws don't really lead into anything or do much damage, so shy away from grabs if they are not blocking
-Sweetspot the ledge with Up B
-Your most useful aerial attacks are Fair, Uair, and Nair
-Your most useful ground moves are Dtilt, Side B, Ftilt, and Fsmash
-Choose your attacks wisely (there is an appropriate spacing and moment for almost every move)

I'm not sure what you are practicing in training mode, but perhaps you should add some objectives to your usual routine. Things like jumping over projectiles, countering slow moves on reaction, weaving through projectile spam, aggressive edgeguarding, and spacing to hit with the tip (pretend you are Marth or use Marth for this). Work on being more fluid with your movements and more efficient with your attacks. Fundamentals are key.

Starry.

No Life Princess
I feel like i'm just getting confused. I feel like i'm always going from one extreme to another, if someone tells me to stop spamming something then i'll just stop using it entirely and then i'll get told I need to start using the thing so then I start using it again and then I get told that i'm spamming it. I just can't get it just right and honestly i'm super confused.

I've been trying to string attacks but I literally can't. I've been in the training room for a good 2 hours a day trying but I just suck I guess.

But yeah a lot of the stuff i'm being told to do other people tell me not to do. How do I know who to listen too? I think i'm just overcomplicating everything and confusing myself Dx

Thor

Smash Champion
I feel like i'm just getting confused. I feel like i'm always going from one extreme to another, if someone tells me to stop spamming something then i'll just stop using it entirely and then i'll get told I need to start using the thing so then I start using it again and then I get told that i'm spamming it. I just can't get it just right and honestly i'm super confused.

I've been trying to string attacks but I literally can't. I've been in the training room for a good 2 hours a day trying but I just suck I guess.

But yeah a lot of the stuff i'm being told to do other people tell me not to do. How do I know who to listen too? I think i'm just overcomplicating everything and confusing myself Dx
The point isn't whether you're using or not using a move - most moves have a use that make it superior to other moves the character has, be it frame data, kill power, damage output, range, or some mixture of the 4.

You really shouldn't be trying to focus on using or not using a move - you should be trying to make yourself hard to predict for the opponent - and I don't mean doing stupid stuff, but more simple things, like:

If you jump at them, you can fair (of course), but you can simply fade back, or keep coming in and grab them as you land, or land and shield right away, or double jump (not recommended), and you have all these options from shorthops or fullhops. You can also play a defensive game and force the opponent to approach (if you have a projectile that is superior to the opponents, or if you are comfortable avoiding theirs while using yours). And if they're above you trying to land onstage, you could charge a smash, or you could run around and hope they airdodge so you can get a free smash, or you could use utilt to anti-air, or shield to block a landing aerial and grab or do an attack out of shield, or charge needles, or follow them and jump up after them to keep juggling them even higher (and probably other stuff I'm not thinking of).

The key is to not do the same thing over and over, because that is what is easy to see coming and block/dodge and punish. It's not all or nothing with any attack (except maybe the absolute worst ones which are nothing [and none of your characters have any of those]) - it's using the attacks at appropriate times. I may not be explaining it well but I hope this makes some sense.

As for stringing attacks, don't try to string everything or make huge long combos. Here are some basic Sheik strings I would hope you can do, but note that ALL of these depend on the percent of the opponent (they don't work if they have too much, or too little damage - varies for each one, I don't have specific numbers on me but you can test I'm sure - low percents are up to 50, mid percents are 40 - 90 or so):

ftilt -> ftilt (-> ftilt -> ...) [low percents]
ftilt -> fair, nair, or uair (higher percents)
dthrow -> fair or uair (if they go behind you/above you, look for uair). [almost always?]
fthrow -> fair? [low percents only I think]
fair -> bouncing fish (this might not actually work ever, though I've done it, maybe you have to wait for an airdodge or guess they are not doing one or something?) [medium percents]

I think dash attack can link to nair or fair or uair as well. [medium percents]

If you struggle with these, know that they ARE doable and work on them (there are Sheiks that do them). Admittedly humans are harder to string against because of the ability to influence total knockback, but...that's something else to learn - just being able to do the inputs to something inanimate is important first.

Starry.

No Life Princess
The point isn't whether you're using or not using a move - most moves have a use that make it superior to other moves the character has, be it frame data, kill power, damage output, range, or some mixture of the 4.

You really shouldn't be trying to focus on using or not using a move - you should be trying to make yourself hard to predict for the opponent - and I don't mean doing stupid stuff, but more simple things, like:

If you jump at them, you can fair (of course), but you can simply fade back, or keep coming in and grab them as you land, or land and shield right away, or double jump (not recommended), and you have all these options from shorthops or fullhops. You can also play a defensive game and force the opponent to approach (if you have a projectile that is superior to the opponents, or if you are comfortable avoiding theirs while using yours). And if they're above you trying to land onstage, you could charge a smash, or you could run around and hope they airdodge so you can get a free smash, or you could use utilt to anti-air, or shield to block a landing aerial and grab or do an attack out of shield, or charge needles, or follow them and jump up after them to keep juggling them even higher (and probably other stuff I'm not thinking of).

The key is to not do the same thing over and over, because that is what is easy to see coming and block/dodge and punish. It's not all or nothing with any attack (except maybe the absolute worst ones which are nothing [and none of your characters have any of those]) - it's using the attacks at appropriate times. I may not be explaining it well but I hope this makes some sense.

As for stringing attacks, don't try to string everything or make huge long combos. Here are some basic Sheik strings I would hope you can do, but note that ALL of these depend on the percent of the opponent (they don't work if they have too much, or too little damage - varies for each one, I don't have specific numbers on me but you can test I'm sure - low percents are up to 50, mid percents are 40 - 90 or so):

dthrow -> fair or uair (if they go behind you/above you, look for uair). [almost always?]
fair -> bouncing fish (this might not actually work ever, though I've done it, maybe you have to wait for an airdodge or guess they are not doing one or something?) [medium percents]

If you struggle with these, know that they ARE doable and work on them (there are Sheiks that do them). Admittedly humans are harder to string against because of the ability to influence total knockback, but...that's something else to learn - just being able to do the inputs to something inanimate is important first.
Oh... well I can do those strings. I kinda thought you had to hit them 10 times in a row or something lol

It's a lot easier to do them in training mode but as soon as I go on for glory I can't land a single one, panic and start mashing buttons.

I really feel like just giving up. I'm not having fun at all.

Last edited:

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
Sometimes with a skill-based activity, whether it's competitive games, sports, art, etc., you get into a 'slump'. For me anyways, it's when I do something a bit too often and with so much focus that even the simple things get hard to pull off, and I'm just generally thrown off my game. Maybe that's happening to you. For some people, like myself, it helps to just walk away for a while, maybe a day, maybe a week, to help get the mind off things, refresh, internalize the skills, etc. Then coming back things generally feel better, maybe sometimes it will still feel like I'm struggling but a lot of times I'll feel more in the zone and focused, and it's easier to see where the problems are coming from. That's my thought on it anyways. Some people actually find it helps to just double down and work through the slump twice as hard too, I've tried it once or twice myself and though I do think it can work, I often feel I gain just as much walking away for a little while, with less time spent too.

AngeloHollow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4585-8889

As a person who dabbles in Sheik very often, I never really understood how to use her, so this helps me understand how some of her combos work. It always bothered me that I couldn't do some basic combos that other Sheik players were using against.

TheGreatBrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueMario1998
3DS FC
5198-3100-0796
If you are new then it's normal, I have started off like that. 50 losses in a row... I have been there before, it's not pleasant. Also you don't have to be "forced" to use a character. Like you are "forcing" yourself to learn with Sheik. There are characters I want to be good with... like Duck Hunt, but I can't, so don't force yourself. Maybe it's best to try out some other characters, other characters may fit your play style, and fits you most.

(I didn't read everything in the thread)
But also if you are playing Sheik just because you play LoZ series... Same goes for Lucina and Zero Suit Samus for their series... you don't have to do that. I never played a Captain Falcon game, and he is my main. (I wish I did play at least one though).

Plus if you don't use dodging and shields, use that.

Anyways good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy Super Smash Bros more into the future.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Well if u are u want to train with a few people on Skype to help improve yourself.

Add me on Skype: Killerwins45. (Don't forget the . )

Its much better talking to your opponents telling u what bad habits u have and improve your gameplay.

As a friend once told me on the first year on the competitive side is always the worst year since there's so much to learn. After a few weeks u will learn a lot of new tricks and combos but u will keep doing the same thing over and over again and become predictable. After a few months u can start to tell when your opponent is reading u and u need to change up your game and so on.

Last edited:

AngeloHollow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4585-8889
Well if u are u want to train with a few people on Skype to help improve yourself.

Add me on Skype: Killerwins45. (Don't forget the . )

Its much better talking to your opponents telling u what bad habits u have and improve your gameplay.
You can add me too. Add AngeloHollow on skype, and be sure to tell me who you are, or I'll freak out.

Wyverian

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-6896-8093
I've been training alot myself, Just hit me up Lexi if you wanna spar. And don't worry about losing, you can learn from all those losses. You beat me a couple of times xD. Your getting there, just dont get discouraged, you have to keep pushing on, watching videos, training in practice, and mixing up your options in battles.

AngeloHollow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4585-8889
I've been training alot myself, Just hit me up Lexi if you wanna spar. And don't worry about losing, you can learn from all those losses. You beat me a couple of times xD. Your getting there, just dont get discouraged, you have to keep pushing on, watching videos, training in practice, and mixing up your options in battles.
You learn more from losing anyways, as long as you can pick out the mistakes you made during the match.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
3 things that i saw was a bit lacking in the zss match.
Control the central stage, usually means attacking from the middle when the opponent is closer to the ledge.

Find a good spacing when the opponent is close/hanging to the ledge, and try to set up a situation where you can react to their movement while taking less risk(learn how far their moves from the ledge reaches, and stay just outside of that range).

Regarding not knowing who to listen to i would recomend a read with these articles, it covers alot of stuff to learn how to become better at learning and adapt.
http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
OK, this is really, really small, but I would avoid using Lucina's(Marth's) side B on the ground. The last hit doesn't combo anymore, and if your opponent holds shield, it's really easy to punish. Also, you might want to try maining random for a bit. Trying a wide range of characters might help you find one suiting your playstyle. Lastly I'd suggest playing some matches with people on this site, most of them are pretty cool, and will be willing to give you feedback to improve.

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
Watching the Shiek vs ZSS:
1. You miss a lot of punishes. If the ZSS is running at you and is clearly going to dash attack, shield grab them. If ZSS misses a grab, either grab them back or use a smash or ftilt into combos. If ZSS fully charges a smash, jump behind and Bair or wait till its over and dash attack/dash grab. Knowing how to shield and spotdodge are some of the most important essential skills you need to master.
2. You do a lot of things that are punishable. Random dash attack can be shield grabbed. Random bouncing fish can be spot dodged and grabbed/smashed. Predictable play is punishable, as said above don't bouncing fish to recover every time. Mix it up. The ledge is so safe in this game, you should almost always go for the ledge and try to recover from there. Burst Grenade is overall pretty bad I think, better to get in your opponent's face and pressure them into making mistakes.
3. (minor) You use your tilts a bunch of times even after you hit once. If you land a ftilt, jump and fair instead of using ftilt 1 or more times when you know they won't hit.

Also, you almost never fastfall, which makes you a lot slower in the air.

Your needle game is good, you just do a lot of things that better players will punish you for. Predictable recovery, charging smashes, ect. You might just be playing really good people on For Glory, because you're not that bad, just unrefined. Also, you should almost expect people on this board to be better than you on average, most have played competitively for a longer time than you.

Starry.

No Life Princess
I'm starting to feel like I should give up on sheik, zero suit and lucina.

Maybe I should pick more noob friendly characters.... also sorry for being such a whiny brat... i've just been getting really frustrated and upset over this for no reason >.<

D

Deleted member 269706

I'm having a hard time too buddy. As an Ike main, it's really tricky cause EVERYONE hits faster than him. But stick with it, you aren't gonna get better by letting them go. Play a lot of offline bots just for the sake of practicing. Also use that replay channel, watching how others use that character is a great way to figure out combos and such. Don't get too discouraged bud.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Provided that you don't have much experience, it's perfectly fine to not win very much. You just have to improve your skills with the characters you wanna use. Learn from your mistakes. Maybe explore some other characters that might interest you and see how it turns out.

I mean, I'm no expert by any means and I have a lot of losses myself (But still more wins), but I try to get better with the characters I enjoy. (Mainly Mario and Luigi, a little bit of Wario and Dr. Mario in the mix)

Wyverian

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-6896-8093

Maybe I should pick more noob friendly characters.... also sorry for being such a whiny brat... i've just been getting really frustrated and upset over this for no reason >.<
Try messing around with more characters and it may surprise you. I now main Sheik and little mac. When you get flustered, its best to take a small break. Just remember its all good fun. Even if you plan to play in tourneys, dont let it make you upset.

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789

Taking a break from characters can most certainly help. When going through the eyes of other characters, you start to appreciate what your characters do have and can apply things that other characters do well to your character.

And seeing as this is a forum, you shouldn't feel bad about. People are around willing to help as this thread has shown.

As for my input, watching some of your videos you leave a lot of gaps. Gaps where you could be more aggressive and potentially rack up a lot more percent or take a stock. Gaps where you just back off when they are off the stage and could pressure them. And the biggest gap is a lot of the time on hit, block of whiff of a lot of moves, you have a tendency to roll back and needle charge all the time.

Most of these things are very likely from just starting out as your first game, which is fine. It'll just take time to weed them out by playing. Playing is the main way to get better and work out things from there.

That said, feel free to add me if you would like. I don't mind playing a few games and giving some advice. That goes for anyone else interested too.

Last edited:

TheGreatBrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueMario1998
3DS FC
5198-3100-0796

Yes do that, maybe you are better with others... Try out Captain Falcon? :p

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
Oh... well I can do those strings. I kinda thought you had to hit them 10 times in a row or something lol

It's a lot easier to do them in training mode but as soon as I go on for glory I can't land a single one, panic and start mashing buttons.

I really feel like just giving up. I'm not having fun at all.
You should just take a break. How much of the other smashes have you played? If you're really into the series as a whole then you'll probably end up wanting to come back to the game after a certain point. You should also keep in mind that losing gets you better faster than winning. Looking at your video, it seemed to me that you would benefit from playing better people (that ZSS didn't particularly impress me). Of course, that would result in losing more--but again--that's the best way to get better: playing people better than you.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067

You should play Metaknight. Metaknight is the one true god. He's got mad style too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom