• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Ike Competitive?

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Yes, he is.

You guys need to stop asking this silly question every 2 weeks when your friend beats you with Pit or Pikachu.

Get better. Learn to use proper spacing. Learn to use mind games. Learn to READ mind games.

Ike's solid. Slightly above average.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Thing with Ike is you need to learn to use "All of you're attacks." Walk toward the enemy, and use you're tilts most importantly, if you feel they going to roll behind you, use you're instinct to dwn smash. If you are getting clobbered by a fast character, common sense would tell you he's rushing you. Use the Dwn B to knock him off. Make him think twice about it . His best move in my opinion, it stops people in they're tracks nicely. (reason i like marth too :bee:)

Far as people saying he's not top tier competitively or whatever, you obviously arent that good with him and/or havent fought anybody that plays Ike wisely. Or only play on final destination which really hinders him against a fast character if you don't play well. Above all, if he hits ya, once, he splits ya, Ko'ed.

Ps. Some people do get smart, and figure on throwing you constantly for damage since they fast. Their only shot in a sense, once you hit them a few times they are goners being light characters. As gimping goes, i try my dambdest to stay in the center of the stage, with Ikes KO power you don't need to be on the edge of the stage.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Yes, he is.

You guys need to stop asking this silly question every 2 weeks when your friend beats you with Pit or Pikachu.

Get better. Learn to use proper spacing. Learn to use mind games. Learn to READ mind games.

Ike's solid. Slightly above average.
It's not like Pit or Pikachu beat Ike because their abilities are better suited for winning tournaments, right? :laugh: A good Pit will beat a good Ike because Pit is a better character than Ike, but a great Ike will beat a good Pit and same for Pikachu. Mindgames can only get you so far and with character limitations and all, it makes the situation worse. Sure, Ike can be used competitive, but if I know I'm fighting an awesome Snake, Mario, Olimar, Pit, R.O.B., Pikachu, Luigi, Marth, Lucario, Zelda, Metaknight, or Dedede that really know how to take down Ike, I'm definitely switching.

leechaolan

Smash Lord
The counter makes up for his slowness. If you get in the air, his forward B does make him vulnerable if the dash doesn't get you far enough away.

If you're a 'good' ike player, you can capitalize on the mistakes of your enemy, which is if they're anywhere near 50% is usually bye-bye.

If any tourney that doesn't have the uber brawl players, Ike could win with a skilled player.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
The counter makes up for his slowness. If you get in the air, his forward B does make him vulnerable if the dash doesn't get you far enough away.

If you're a 'good' ike player, you can capitalize on the mistakes of your enemy, which is if they're anywhere near 50% is usually bye-bye.

If any tourney that doesn't have the uber brawl players, Ike could win with a skilled player.
Counter doesn't come out instantly and obviously capitializing mistakes on your opponent is what you're supposed to do. I've been doing that for over two months with Mario and Ike. The problem is Ike himself with his weaknesses that pose a problem when it comes to winning tournaments. Besides, because there are better characters than Ike, they're allowed to get away with more mistakes than Ike either because they're fast at recovering or the attack itself just has more priority that even if you do the right thing, it wouldn't do much.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Nah, a great Ike can beat a great Pit, Mario(what the heck is he doing there?), Snake,Dedede Pikachu, etc. He just has to work harder. You're being silly if you think the opponent using a better character and being on the same level as you automatically means a loss.

If you're not looking to play Ike exclusively then obviously using a higher tier character is what you should do, though.

Also, I believe Ike is better than Zelda and Lucario. In a head to head match up at least.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Better character+same skill or better than you=you lose. It's because of character attributes. Some have better attributes (Pit) than others (Sonic). Ike loses to fast characters that can "combo" him and put him in tough spots for the most part. Zelda is 7-3 in her advantage because of her ridiculous priority and her devasting sweet-spotted Fairs and Bairs that come out fast. Her d-tilt is ridiculous, and her Din's Fire forces you to be on the defense. And if the person using a better character works just as hard as you would a worse character, you're going to lose the match. A great Ike won't beat any of the characters I've listed above because they're better. That means they don't have to work as hard to win as you do. They're not as limited as Ike is when it comes to putting up a good fight and winning. That's my point. There is only one way to beat a character that's better than the character you're using: be more skilled than the player using him. That's what I do with Mario and Ike and it works very well. :laugh:

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
I don't agree. From my experience, being of even skill with someone and fighting a character who is better does not mean you're destined to lose. The same with being better than the opponent and using a better character not meaning you will win all the time.

Back when I ifrst started playing my Ike lost to BUM's(the best player in NY in most people's opinion) characters he didn't even take seriously like Sheik. I still won a couple here and there. Why? Because the times I won, I outplayed hum and minimized my mistakes.

If the character is played perfectly then maybe I can see you're point, but even then, what if Ike is played perfectly? That would mean neither character would be punished and the match would go on for infinitity.

Every projectile power shielded

Ever throw sidestepped

Every aerial avoided.

My point is that ALL HUMANS MAKE ERRORS. It doesn't matter if it's Cort, Ken, M2K or PC Chris. They all make mistakes, and that is why they don't 3 stock everyone left and right. This is because the human mind in fighting games is limited to, at best, educated guessing. You cannot anticipate and predict every move perfectly ESPECIALLY if both players are of equal skill. Therefore, if the Ike player makes less mistakes than the Snake player or Wolf player, he can win. I promise ya.

All it means is you have to play a smarter game THAT match(doesn't mean you have to be a better player) and captailize on the errors that your opponent is GUARANTEED to make due to the nature of being human.

You don't even have to think of it as a science to be honest. Ike has huge range/hit box/priority and power. In the history of fighting games, anyone who has priority and power has been at least decent! lol

Those two attributes are enough to make it possible for Ike to beat anyone.

7/3 Zelda's favor? That is absurd from my experience. Please give me the friend code/aim of the Zeldas you be playing.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Wow seriously the zelda thing is still going on? She doesnt have an advantage, stop dropping your shield early and get over it. She's retardedly easy to read. If din's fire even makes you slow down you're doing something wrong dude, air dodge/slide spot dodge and punch her in the mouth.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
And get crushed by her Fair, her ridiculous smash attacks. Zelda is ridiculous. Even Emblem Lord said so himself and even said Ike sucks. What you do with your character us irrelevent to how good your character is. Snake doesn't have to work as hard as Ike to win since he can out-camp everyone, has tilts as strong as they are fast, and has very good aerial priority. He has won the most tournaments for a reason. I'm not saying that if you face Snake, you will always lose. I'm saying that IF that player using Snake is just as good, if not, better than you, that Snake player (or any other character better than Ike) is going to have an easier time getting the win. Not all characters are equal in fighting games. There will be characters that'll just be plain better than others. I realize my mains have limtations intergrated that skill will break because it's already programmed into them. My Mario won't have good range with my skill. Ike can't be faster with my skill or have ridiculous attacks like Snake, but I can outsmart and beat players that aren't as good as me with a character that's better than mine. Ike just isn't as good as some people say he is. I'm done here. 1,700th post!! Yeah heah!!

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
And get crushed by her Fair, her ridiculous smash attacks. Zelda is ridiculous. Even Emblem Lord said so himself and even said Ike sucks.
I have yet to meet a zelda who has completely stomped me, at best they go about 40-50% in wins but never majority. If you're eating fairs, you're getting baited, if you're eating smash attacks aside from her down smash, you're getting dumb with your shield.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
>_> Ike's range > Zelda's range

capitalize on that to win.

and another tip...don't dair Zelda, her Up air > your down air

and dodge --> down smash will make you be unable to come back to the stage due to its trajectory >_>

but Zelda IS light and Ike kills lightness..

seriously don't see 7-3 match up. Ryoto could just be better then the Ike player, Emblem Lord >_> Don't forget mind games aren't part of a match up! Match ups are only a statistic. Mind games come from the player using their pros and cons to their max.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Play Ryoko's Zelda.

He will demolish you.
I have, I do, he doesn't. Awesome zelda, but not anything that I can't go toe to toe with. Feel free to ask him yourself instead of namedropping like it's going out of style. As a matter of fact Ryoko would much rather play sheik against Ike and rarely transforms to zelda unless it's for a killshot, and sometimes not even that because it's not worth losing his health advantage. If he can get a quick easy tether edgehog with sheik despite her lacking killshots, it's much better in comparison. You're not special for acting like I haven't played someone a state away from me, get over yourself.

Can ryoko's zelda beat me? Absolutely
Demolish? Sorry buddy, wrong Ike player to be saying that to.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
PLay him IRL son not online k thnx.

Demolish was stretching it, but he is pretty much the best Zelda on the EC.

Ike's range?

Son. Ike is so ****ing slow that the moves that give him his range are telegraphed and easily powershielded. Ike is shield bait and he is average at best.

Anyway this isn't a match-up thread.

It's a thread about whether or not Ike is competitive.

Do you guys realize that intelligent posters have asked me on AIM to research Ike and do for his metagame what I have done for Marth's?

You know what my response was?

There is nothing. Ike has nothing.

He is too simple. Too slow. Too predictable. Too straight froward.

But that's ok IMO. In the FE games Ike = god-like.

But in Brawl he isn't good. We all thought he was good at first. Hell I even thought he could make high tier.
But he just doesn't have the juice. It's not even debatable.

Ike has too many bad match-ups and you will only win with him if you are simply the better player.

Here is the thing though. Once you hit a high level where everyone is as good as you, Ike will hold you back. He gets CGed to hell, he is one of the easiest characters to gimp and his moveset isn't that great. He has no broken moves or abusable strats and he can't approach well. He also has a much harder time dealing with camping then Metaknight and Marth who both lack projectiles as well and a reflector, but have the speed and the moveset to limit the usefulness of camping against them.

As a character Ike is unimpressive and sub-par.

I'm done here.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Demolish was stretching it
Or flat out lying, that works too. I'm not arguing about whether or not Ike has what it takes to be on top of a tourney scene, I pointed out a specific "reek of bull****" line and responded relevantly. Given that you already acknowledged that you were pretty much spitting hyperbole I'm done with the subject.

Nakayorz

Smash Apprentice
PLay him IRL son not online k thnx.
Demolish was stretching it, but he is pretty much the best Zelda on the EC.
So you're saying online even with a blue connection proves nothing ( in a condescending manner no less. Is that really necessary?)

RyokoYaksa being the best Zelda on the EC was established completely from RL tourneys? or were there online matches involved on that so called fact?

There's just something funny about you using ryokoyaksa to defend someone's opinion that Zelda destroy's ike for practically free when ryoko would sooner switch to Sheik for the whole match because "I hate fighting against ike with zelda. It just makes more sense to tether edgehog instead of putting forth all that extra effort and taking extra damage the whole way."

All I'm saying is if you're going to be throwing ryoko's name around to try to artificially increase the validity of your argument, you'd do best to not be using it in an argument that contradicts ryoko.

Off topic: I'd love to see some of these offline matches you have vs ryokoyaksa sometime, got any youtube links?

gantrain05

Smash Master
mario dude, you have no idea do you. just because right now some characters are classified as "higher tier" than ike doesn't mean an ike of equal or lesser skill can't beat that "better character" not to mention the freakin tier lists are changing almost every day so how do u base your facts on a tier list that isnt even consistant? nothing is an automatic loss in any situation ever. hell i've come back from down 3 stock with ganondorf vs marth in melee and still pulled out the win, so i really don't see your point.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
A blue connection is fine. Anything less and I wouldn't take it seriously. But Ike is still one of the better characters online and everyone knows this. Characters that require more precision do alot worse online.

Anyway, stop asking me questions in this thread. If you want to ask something then pm me. I don't want to be post here anymore.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Some notes

- Ike players need timing as much as any other character or more. Being slow does not mean you don't need good timing. His hit boxes take longer to become active than any other character.

- If anything Ike is worse online for the simple fact that projectiles are much harder to beat out. Perfect shielding characters like Toon Link, Wolf, Pit and Olimar are much easier offline than online.

I can see the arguement that Ike is harder to PS online as well, but since perfect shielding isn't a big a deal for an Ike who plays smart, I'd say meh. A fadeaway fair PS'd can't be punished really. Same with nair to a lesser extent. Plus, empty jumps for the win and throws.

PS is a predictable Ike's worst nightmare I suppose. Nukkas like Azen do just fine offline because they know how to play without falling into patterns and can space.

Top Bottom