• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Ike as bad a character as people say he is?

GenG

Smash Lord
check out my blog i talk about ike for you guys
Yeah I was watching it.

So Ike's problem is he doesn't have a fast move to combo into the finishers.

But he KOed Pikachu at 50% with an uncharged fsmash (and Star KOed Fox at 70% if I recall) so maybe they want Ike to be a 3-5 hit man.

BTW Gimpy your shirt is teh lol.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Yeah I was watching it.

So Ike's problem is he doesn't have a fast move to combo into the finishers.

But he KOed Pikachu at 50% with an uncharged fsmash (and Star KOed Fox at 70% if I recall) so maybe they want Ike to be a 3-5 hit man.

BTW Gimpy your shirt is teh lol.
Well, just in the recent updates we have seen things that give Ike hope. Supposedly his FS got changed a bit. I didn't see a video with the original one though.

If he gets some quick attacks with some good stun that will allow for him to combo into something like a fsmash, Ike really has a chance to be good.

GenG

Smash Lord
Well, just in the recent updates we have seen things that give Ike hope. Supposedly his FS got changed a bit. I didn't see a video with the original one though.
I doubt they changed the FS. They just didn't show the combo in the update.

You can see the FS in this video at 2:34.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I've got one final speulative idea.

ISA frames(think thats right, frames where you can interupt one attack with another.) If he has some very specific ISA frame spots he could have some wicked combos couldn't he? and your not likely to find those kind of things out in a demo played over 4 days.

Lootic

Smash Apprentice
If Ike is able to KO at so low % as 50% he dont needs combos. if you will master his super armor he will become a god. if somebody attacks you in super armor frames of a smash and they will shout things like ****, ****** ****, ****** ****** and I dont want to play SSBB ever again.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
If Ike is able to KO at so low % as 50% he dont needs combos. if you will master his super armor he will become a god. if somebody attacks you in super armor frames of a smash and they will shout things like ****, ****** ****, ****** ****** and I dont want to play SSBB ever again.
Judging by the many E4A vids I've seen, Ike can lay the smackdown on people, especially his F-Smash, it looks devastating.
It's too bad for Ike he's very slow and you can see his attacks coming, making him prone to fast attacks and evasive manuevers that will cost him in the demo. Should he retain his statistics in Brawl, he will be terrible in one on one matches. Super armor doesn't matter when the person can just dodge and grab you out of it.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Don't forget that Ike's massive range and shield knockback actually keeps him pretty safe when attacking. If you start an attack when someone is somewhat away, Ike's range means that they won't be able to get close enough to grab before he actually attacks, and if they come in close enough for a shield-grab, Ike's knockback pushes them too far away. All it takes are a couple mistakes for the enemy to die. Don't say that pros never make mistakes, otherwise no one in matches would ever get hurt.

The point of super armor is to use it when the opponent is already committed to an attack (which is the most used offensive), you don't use it whenever so that that the opponent can grab you.

Gomolka

Smash Apprentice
IMO, I think that Ike is going to be somewhat of a clone of Roy. I believe that he is going to be strong, but a bit slower than normal, and will have strong standard attacks.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
ike is NOTHING like roy, roy isn't really that slow in melee

ike is slow slow slow slow slow and doesnt' even pretend to have combos

people need to stop pretending that ike is good lol

-Dark-Marth-

Smash Apprentice
It will never end huh Gimpy lol

As Takeshi said, getting in out of Ike's moves one on one will be fairly easy.
And if he cant do anything after his Foward B,there goes his recovery game.

And this is coming from someone who wants to play with Ike lol.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion

This is coming from the guy that played Ike in the demo. What he says is true. You guys are having false hope of Ike being good in the demo. Ike really needs speed buffs and a better recovery (though speed buffs are the main priority in this case) to be good on one on one matches.

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget that Ike's massive range and shield knockback actually keeps him pretty safe when attacking. If you start an attack when someone is somewhat away, Ike's range means that they won't be able to get close enough to grab before he actually attacks, and if they come in close enough for a shield-grab, Ike's knockback pushes them too far away.
This is why they made spotdodging, which will be REALLY easy for most of ikes attacks...

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Again, there is Ike's massive range, which I think people are under estimating. I think it will be hard to get close enough for a spotdodge, and still be able to counter attack. But you have a good point, I didn't think of that.

How do you get that he's saying that Ike is good, from comparing him to Roy, lol. And why does it matter if Ike can't combo? It's like you said, he kills at 50%. The real question is if he can land his powerful attacks, which I'll admit is iffy.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Roy is actually quite fast, so I am confused at why anyone thinks Ike is similar.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I want to bring up a point about Ike's moves being slow. People are saying that all of his moves are slow, but I've seen at least five that appear to be fast, and most seem to be his air moves.

His N-air has little pre-lag, and combined with it's huge range, he should have no problem hitting someone in the air. His U-air seemed to be almost instant. It is good for hitting opponents diagonally above him, and looks like it has good killing power. Then there is of course his B-air which is instantaneous. I never saw it land in the videos, but if it has little knockback, then Ike has a very possible combo of up-tilt (which I saw was very good for juggling), B-air, to U-air.

On the ground there's his regular A combo. His crouching A has okay speed, but combined with crouch-cancelling and super armor, it's a very viable attack. I saw his dash attack, and it works right away, it seems to be his fastest long-range ground move. One last thing is that he can grab.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Gimpyfish, correct me if I am wrong, but let me see if I understand you correctly so as to help these confused souls.

Ike probably appears faster than he really is because viewing the game is nothing like playing it. We may perceive what we think is the start and finish of a move, but that move may not have started until half a second after the button was actually pressed. In other words, we have never felt the game, so saying the move appears fast based one what we have seen is horrible logic. We need to play the game to know for sure, but as it stands right now, Gimpyfish stated that Ike is ridiculously slow, and he has almost no fast moves!

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
But you have your animations. As soon as you input a move there's always some kind of change from your regular jumping and standing animations. I've looked very closely, and I think I can tell when the attack started. But if you say so, I'll believe you until the game comes out. I won't pretend to know more then someone who spent time with the demo (I'm not being sarcastic).

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
actually the reason ike was so ridiculously slow looking was because you would press a button to do his air attacks and he litearlly would do NOTHING, it takes him time to actually start his animation, and i thought that was really abnormal, but thats how it is *shrug*

ZaeYeL

Smash Cadet
okay if thats what you really mean as he is so slow, then AS I HAVE SAID thats probably not suppose to be like that =P
abnormal: yes probably a mishap / glitch / (not suppose to be like that)
its one thing if you press the button, the animation starts but it has its slow showing off to get to the real damage hit, but when you press a button, and nothing happens for a second or so, something has to be wrong..... atleast acquire a long slow animation to add that he isnt just lagging..... now basically what it sounds to me is that they need to fix their delay with ike, maybe its a sort of lag iono

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
oh, i'd just easily avoid it through invinciblity frames on the edge and the new airdodge then i guess hahahahaha

anywyas, ike is pretty bad. yep.

GenG

Smash Lord
actually the reason ike was so ridiculously slow looking was because you would press a button to do his air attacks and he litearlly would do NOTHING, it takes him time to actually start his animation, and i thought that was really abnormal, but thats how it is *shrug*
You never went to the E4All. It was all a dream.

Cless

Smash Champion
So it seems that Ike's animations do anything before the actual hitboxes on his attack appear. So it's like he readies his sword before every attack or something?

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Apparently what happens when you press a button to attack is Ike first does nothing, then readies his sword for a second, and then finally attacks. Because he actually does nothing first, it's impossible for us to judge Ike's speed from only watching the videos.

That's what always confused me about why people were saying Ike was too slow. When I watched the videos I only saw the actual shift in animation before and during the attack. Seeing only that, Ike doesn't appear to be overwhelmingly slow.

If they got rid of the lag before the actual animated lag, I think Ike would turn out alright.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Apparently what happens when you press a button to attack is Ike first does nothing, then readies his sword for a second, and then finally attacks. Because he actually does nothing first, it's impossible for us to judge Ike's speed from only watching the videos.

That's what always confused me about why people were saying Ike was too slow. When I watched the videos I only saw the actual shift in animation before and during the attack. Seeing only that, Ike doesn't appear to be overwhelmingly slow.

If they got rid of the lag before the actual animated lag, I think Ike would turn out alright.
Cutting it in half would do wonders for Ike. He would actually be playable. He's still too slow as of now since he does NOTHING first and after animations that last longer than the entire cast of characters in the demo, he finally attacks and suffers post lag. Conclusion: Ike is a bad character in the demo. :laugh:

Cless

Smash Champion
I just think it's really weird that Ike does absolutely nothing at first when you attack. That has to be because it's a demo. It's just too messed up.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Cutting it in half would do wonders for Ike. He would actually be playable. He's still too slow as of now since he does NOTHING first and after animations that last longer than the entire cast of characters in the demo, he finally attacks and suffers post lag. Conclusion: Ike is a bad character in the demo. :laugh:
See, NOW I finally understand why people say he's so effing slow. They really, REALLY need to take off not just the extreme post lag on his attacks but most definitely the delay in him even responding to the player's input.

That sounds less like it was done on purpose and more like a bug. And given that it was a demo, it very well could have been. Also, I would highly suggest to the Brawl team that they make him able to do stuff out of his side B, otherwise his recovery will indeed be horrible.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
They say that the super armor was glitchy, and there was also the random 999% damage combos that happened. The demo did have problems, and Ike's lag could be a glitch as well. Maybe he was rushed into completion to make it into the demo.

I'm inclined to think this will be fixed, and even if it wasn't a glitch, I can't believe that the developers who played over 10,000 matches wouldn't see that it needs to be changed.

Top Bottom