• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Ike as bad a character as people say he is?

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
ok , i dont question whats ur saying but rember that saying this things it will not change the game creators were only hoping that it "will" happen.

apart u couldnt hate a player only cause u are seeing demos, lets make na example: looks ganondorf, my friend, the best marth of my country gets owned in a 1vs1 with a ganon and he isnt a bull**** that dont know advance techniques no, the ganondorf was awsome and remeber they are using the wii mode most players will use the GC controller that game mode with wii mode was new for that players and many things are not in game allready after a few of years the people will find a way to make ike a broken character like happens with many characters in melee them dont talk about anything allready if the game isnt realse all ready.
Gimpy said many times that Ganon > Ike.

Ganon's moves have very fast startup, he can easily do stuff like jump+aerial -> dbl jump+aerial -> aerial before landing on the ground... and Ike can't

And Marth vs Ganon is an even matchup

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Answer to thread Q: Yes, he is. I agree w/Rick, something I hadn't thought about. Maybe the ppl in the demo were the ones they already finished? Interesting thought.

Saph66: Where'd you get off w/that information? Nintendo KNOWS 1v1's more important? Do you work for them? Most ppl have come to the agreement the game's not MEANT to be played 1 way or another, so why would they put more effort into either?

To adress the other point, SonicX: No, he's not going to be really useful in FFA either. My thinking is that the only reason he was able to stand his own is because it was in the first games we played. He will be null and void for any type of battle when ppl start getting comfortable w/the game. And like EPF said, that combo isn't going to work. Maybe as a string, but it's won't "combo" in the real sense of the word; they'll have time to jump out. The stun from the bair will be long enough for him to recover then do his upB and catch them, but maybe if you read they're jump right or something, sure it could connect, but not as a combo.

Bash20: You guys need to stop comparing Ike to Ganon or Bowser or any other char in any previous Smash games. THERE'S NO COMPARISON. Please stop talking like you KNOW how fast he is or KNOW how he feels to be played when you haven't (assuming since you're from another country) played the game yet.

Again, I don't mean to sound synical. Like I said before, I was hoping Ike would be good too, but the truth just seems to be too far from it to save his sorry ***...

Jeremy092387

Smash Cadet
So according to Nick, Sakurai likes to make completely useless characters....

Ike will not be useless, even if he is too slow in the demo and tourney play, he will still have his merit in the game. Saying he will be all around useless is kind of silly, just becuase he is a lot slower than he should be.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Answer to thread Q: Yes, he is. I agree w/Rick, something I hadn't thought about. Maybe the ppl in the demo were the ones they already finished? Interesting thought.

Saph66: Where'd you get off w/that information? Nintendo KNOWS 1v1's more important? Do you work for them? Most ppl have come to the agreement the game's not MEANT to be played 1 way or another, so why would they put more effort into either?

To adress the other point, SonicX: No, he's not going to be really useful in FFA either. My thinking is that the only reason he was able to stand his own is because it was in the first games we played. He will be null and void for any type of battle when ppl start getting comfortable w/the game. And like EPF said, that combo isn't going to work. Maybe as a string, but it's won't "combo" in the real sense of the word; they'll have time to jump out. The stun from the bair will be long enough for him to recover then do his upB and catch them, but maybe if you read they're jump right or something, sure it could connect, but not as a combo.

Bash20: You guys need to stop comparing Ike to Ganon or Bowser or any other char in any previous Smash games. THERE'S NO COMPARISON. Please stop talking like you KNOW how fast he is or KNOW how he feels to be played when you haven't (assuming since you're from another country) played the game yet.

Again, I don't mean to sound synical. Like I said before, I was hoping Ike would be good too, but the truth just seems to be too far from it to save his sorry ***...
You sure? According to Gimpy, the new L cancel removes all lag, so if you SHFFL the bair (at maybe mid-low % or something), then use Aether it could work, depending on how long it takes to start Aether (can't really tell form the vids).

Anyways either way that's gonna be the first thing I try in brawl. =P Bair > Aether ftw

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
I don't know... weren't some characters considered trash at the release of Melee? People eventually got a handle on them though o_o. I mean, I understand some people got actual "Ike time" at the demo, but I don't think he should be banished :O!

anyways, i doubt Ike will not not >_> be used, and will get some quality reps from hardcore low tier smashers. Yeahh.. I use Ness o_o.

D

Deleted member

yeah ike sucks, lets all hate him before the game starts
WINAZ.

The game isn't out yet. And hello, its a DEMO!

Sure, its a pretty good example of what the finished product will be like, but there's still time for modifiying of character moves, I hope.

Hey, I wouldn't be suprised to find out that's why they showcased Brawl at E for All: to find out what was unpopular with the characters they were showing, and try to get it ironed out to suit the fans.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
The demo agrument helps. And Ike doesn't look as good as some of us actually think in the demo. To me, this works both ways. If Ike turns out to be good, which I hope he is, that would be sweet. If he's a bad character, it's going to be fun to see the look of someone's eyes to see they lose to Ike. :laugh:

yeah ike sucks, lets all hate him before the game starts

grrrr ike sucks lololol who plays ike what a noob
Boo Ike stinks!! May Marth slay you in the night Ike!!

You sure? According to Gimpy, the new L cancel removes all lag, so if you SHFFL the bair (at maybe mid-low % or something), then use Aether it could work, depending on how long it takes to start Aether (can't really tell form the vids).

Anyways either way that's gonna be the first thing I try in brawl. =P Bair > Aether ftw
Lol wut?

The new L-cancel requiers you to fast fall before you attack. You can't even SHFFL because the attack takes too long to initiate due to the start up lag of the attack, so you would have to full hop if you even hope to land it. Even if you did manage to land the aerial and cancel it some how, the knockback is too great. In addition to that, Aether has alot of start lag and not enough reach to catch your opponent after the aerial.

The combo won't work because Ike's aerials are very hard to cancel (The few that can be canceled during a short hop). This will never work because Ike will never combo.

GenG

Smash Lord
Ike can combo AAA. Punch kick sword.

I saw it in a video. For real guys! GOD TIER FOR REAL.

STEREO_226

Smash Apprentice
i just think that if you fall too far off the stage accept the fact that you will die, just die, and then come back and kill them. Ike can kill his opponents at very low %'s, so just take advantage of that, and ignore the fact that Aether cant bring you back if your dieing. If your playing as Ike and fall over the edge, too far over it, your dead, but he's uber powerful so use that for when you come back.

GenG

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon has one of the worst recoveries in Melee (slow, predictable, but he is one of the best (actually the best) characters in the game.

Is interesting how the worst characters in Melee have many of the best recoveries.

GenG

Smash Lord
Yeah, but also interesting is the fact that THIS IS NOT MELEE. THIS IS NOT 64. THIS IS A NEW GAME.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
general concepts of speed + combo ability = good characters is the same in any fighting game in history

THIS concept has not changed

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
general concepts of speed + combo ability = good characters is the same in any fighting game in history

Well, not to burst your bubble Gimpy, but in Guilty Gear Accent Core Potemkin is top tier and he's the slowest character in the game. :laugh:

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace

Actually, Potemkin from GG is somewhat an exception to that statement, XD. I know what you mean though.

Either way, I am going to laugh my *** off if Ike appears to be better than he is speculated to be. Yes yes, I've read reports and whatnot. It'd just be funny(in a good way?) since things aren't looking good now.

Well, not to burst your bubble Gimpy, but in Guilty Gear Accent Core Potemkin is top tier and he's the slowest character in the game. :laugh:
Yes, but Guilty Gear is a fighter based off a tradditional fasion. Things such as character position, DI, and priority don't affect Guilty Gear, just like Oki doesn't exist in Smash Bros.

Guilty Gear (And other Traditional 2D fighters) are limited by optional actions. for example: if Ky-Kiske either grabbed or landed his 2D on the enemy, his best option would be to us a CSE considering that his 6HS doesn't have wake up priority anymore. Doing anything else would probably wouldn't be more effective because of the limitations of the game. Smash Bros isn't a game limited to specific priorities.

Pot is good because the game is played in a tradditional fasion, where as a character outside of tradditional play is rendered ineffective due to the freedom of movement a character posses. Bowser is a great example of this.

Yeah, but also interesting is the fact that THIS IS NOT MELEE. THIS IS NOT 64. THIS IS A NEW GAME.
The games physics have not been dramatically changed to the extent that character tiers can change.

VisetheStompy

Smash Cadet
Im not ready to write off Ike yet until the game is out. We need to throughly analyze the properties of Ike's moves. Depending on which moves get super armor and when could save Ike potential. Rather than evade he may just punch through attacks and his power would do the rest.

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
Even if most people sais he sucks, I'll still use it xD someone said that Ike was good in FFA because people were new to the game and then they fell for Ike's movements, but that when people get used to Brawl, Ike will be terrible. Well, people who used Ike were new to him as well, so, who knows? Maybe with a lot of practice he can get to be a high tier.

Momocop

Smash Rookie
He not so bad.
but all the need is Marth and then both of em 2gether gona kick ***.

Well, He kinda like ganondorf except.. he uses a sword.

His Final smash seems weird.. an earthquake/explosion..
Big Whoop.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
Have you seen Ike's final smash? It's awesome.
It reminds me of something Squall does from Final Fantasy 8.

Top Bottom