• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Ike as bad a character as people say he is?

GenG

Smash Lord
lol sakurai's last update makes it look like ike can combo

i assure you this is completely false advertising XD
No you don't. Are you expecting your reports of the demo to be valid forever? Maybe the demo is months old compared to this. They fixed things in the two weeks between the Japan and USA release of Melee I think.

IKE UGRAB USMASH. MAKE IT HAPPEN IKE!

No you don't. Are you expecting your reports of the demo to be valid forever? Maybe the demo is months old compared to this. They fixed things in the two weeks between the Japan and USA release of Melee I think.

IKE UGRAB USMASH. MAKE IT HAPPEN IKE!
The jump button makes that combo impossible. His grabs have alot of distance due to his sheer power.

Saph66

Smash Journeyman
What happens if he gets hit everytime he puts his sword into the ground? Does he fly away and his sword magically appears back in his hand? Or as he flys away he grabs his sword?

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Saw the update on the site...uh oh Gimpy. Maybe he's already been changed around from the demo...because he's doing what you claimed "impossible". :p

GenG

Smash Lord
Was he able to do that in the demo?
People who played the demo say he couldn't do that, so that leaves two possibilites:
a) Ike can't combo after uthrow. Link was falling and Ike caught him with the smash.
b) The uthrow was modified to combo with the smash.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
c) sakurai is trying to trick us with every single update
Agreed... he probably is thinking something like "hahaha Ike will be top tier, those guys that played him at E4A will get...

...MINDGAMED!"

All jokes aside, I really think Sakurai hears the smash community (perhaps not THIS community but maybe a Japanese one or something) because misteryusly, the updates tend to reveal the latest "big discussion topic" (see Animal Crossing character revealed / Resetti AT )

But yeah, he enjoys playing with our minds...

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Going back a few pages about Potemkin being slow, but still top tier.

Both GG series and SSB series are known for having sooooooooo many options. But GG is a traditional fighter. It has rules and is based around a fighting engine that has certain laws. And the developers of the GG series made the game with the intention of having all these options and a system to check these options and keep them from being broken. This is why GG is heralded as one of, if not the most balanced fighting game series of all time.

SSB series is very loose and has very little governing rules in terms of combos, attacks, movement etc. And the movement system is much more free, and there aren't alot of limiting factors put in place. This is why SSBM is called a fluke of a competitive game. Because it is. It just so happens that all these random factors came together to make this game what it is on a competitive level.

Also Potemkin has good set-ups and combos. He still has the tools that would be required for a character to be top tier.

From what Gimpy and others have said Ike lacks these tools.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Maybe, but going by them his knockback is too great and his moves come out too slow.

A horrible combination.

Darkenedsoul

Smash Cadet
I think that ike looks good though i think he will be better on teams. He's moves were powerful but slow, and i haven't seen anyone use a grab with him on youtube.

Darkenedsoul

Smash Cadet
how does ike suck? i mean you really can't say that due to the fact you have most likely never played it =/

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
According to the demo. Which is what we are talking about.

Which gimpy took massive notes on at E for all.

So, yeah out of everyone on the planet Gimpy is the most qualified at this point to say whether or not a character sucks besides the development team of course.

GenG

Smash Lord
no ike just sucks

According to the demo. Which is what we are talking about.

Which gimpy took massive notes on at E for all.

So, yeah out of everyone on the planet Gimpy is the most qualified at this point to say whether or not a character sucks besides the development team of course.
A single person can't never have the last word. Even if the reports are accurate, we still don't know where the super armor frames are, and people there played 2 minutes from time to time, with wiimote and items in very high. Even Gimpy is human and would want to enjoy playing with Rapeknight instead trying to understand a slow and ankward character like Ike.

Seriously, Gimpy is amazing and all of that, but Ike doesn't suck just because he felt like it. You can't pretend to master a character from a demo in a new game environment in just 4 days. Or can you?

Gimpy say he is slow, but his speed is average in the videos. His lag is bearable. His smashes aren't that fast but still have amazing power and range. It's not Bowser fsmash, Falcon Punch or Ganondorf Elbow, because those moves cover a reduced space in front of the character. Ike smashes are hueg. Hueg and unstoppable.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
did you even read my ike impressions? he looks WAY faster in the videos than he actually is, and dont pretend that i'm one of those "play the good character" guys please, i'm pretty sure i main bowser, so dont give me that crap.

ike is really really slow on the startup of his moves, which is HORRIBLE for a character in melee. i'm not about to say i've "mastered" anyone, i know a lot about melee and i know a lot about brawl, the combination of slow + strong NEVER worked in smash as a good combination, using bowser as the obvious example. Bowser is horrendous, yet he does have fast moves.

guess who is slower than bowser, and does NOT have fast moves. IKE.

I'm HOPING that we find something to make ike playable, whether it be through super armor or whatever else that they will hopefully be adjusting for him (read: i hope they fix ike)

ike is a really cool character, i have no reason to be anti-ike but people need to stop telling me and people who have played that "ike isn't that slow" because yes. he IS. He is WAY slower than Melee Bowser.

Darkenedsoul

Smash Cadet
sorry if i said anything wrong i am kind of new to this =S I really want to play as ike when i get brawl and well i'm just sorry =S also i'm massive fire emblem fan =S

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
As with most things, I'm willing to wait and see what happens... Ike is one of those things

Darkenedsoul

Smash Cadet
No it's a high damage giver the only down side to it is the range. He does not get a single long range move so thats why it is not as good as all the others.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
if they dont change ikes speed or moves before the actual game is released, we can all probably agree that ike will suck in competitive play.

Darkenedsoul

Smash Cadet
his moves are good but his speed is awful hopefully they will change it. though it could be quite good on a team =)

GreatFalco

Smash Apprentice
ike is really really slow on the startup of his moves, which is HORRIBLE for a character in melee. i'm not about to say i've "mastered" anyone, i know a lot about melee and i know a lot about brawl, the combination of slow + strong NEVER worked in smash as a good combination, using bowser as the obvious example. Bowser is horrendous, yet he does have fast moves.
I think that the combination of slow and strong could works in Brawl. That's because Ike has the longer sword ever (awesome range) and has no flinches in many of his attacks.

Darkenedsoul

Smash Cadet
thats true though the only problem is one v one you would have to run then attack then run again then attack and make massive damage.

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
It seems like anybody who could combo out of throw would horribly own ike. No flinch frames are useless to grabs, and with the edition of super long start up time to his attacks it only further weakens his defense to grabs. But I don't know, maybe they'll fix him.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
A lot of us are FE fans, and a lot of us want to see a playable Ike worth maining. So far he isn't, but I suppose mentioning Ike and combo in the same update on Dojo is a start.

I think they will hear out what people are saying, they will know that we are not happy with Ike's [lack of] speed, and they will probably make corrections.

That doesn't mean they will, I just think there is a good chance.

Top Bottom