• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Fox's reign over?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Good grief,they'll practically removed fox's bread and butter then.Completely unnecessary nerfs.
Yep :( He felt really good when I started playing him at first, exactly like Brawl, until I landed that first dair.

His jab is "buffed" in that it has a finisher, but overall nerfed because you can no longer use the first hit of jab and then do something else (usmash, grab). No mixups. This is a common thing across the board, and part of what I feel looks like a trend of attempting to simplify the game compared to Brawl. Most characters have their Brawl bread and butters removed (Peach's turnip nerfs and fair autocancel removal, Pit's arrow turning nerfs, Fox's dair/laser nerfs, Falco/s dair/laser/throw nerfs, Wario's SH dair autocancels removal, etc).

His usmash is nerfed. Combined with VI it's not a particularly great kill move.

We already knew about the lasers, but now they're basically only useful for extreme distances.

Dair has too much landing lag, and parts if it send people up, so it can never ever combo in to anything.

Side-B's buffed, it goes right through Sheik's needles, maybe invincibility? And it doesn't go in to freefall, so you can up-B after side-B. However, there's a little bit of an animation before you can up-B, so it's not as amazing as it sounds. But it does mean that if you're barely too far away you can make it.

That's basically everything that made Fox great in Brawl :/ He had a dair that led in to a mixup on shield and in to a kill move or mixup on hit and the vertical speed to space it as a threat. He had a laser game that could force you to approach if you were, say, Metaknight. And he had very fast options that let him get kills early if you messed up or lost a guessing game after jab. And he had the shinestall to prevent him from being too obvious when he was going to come down with a speedy fastfalled aerial.

Most of these are gone, except the last one. I seriously considered playing Fox for a while in Brawl, so this is disappointing.

He's still got speed and nice hitboxes, but he has to always approach now, which gets predictable since the game has no dashdancing, and has no real threats as far as early kills and setups for them.

Once again, I agree with praxis. Approaching is very difficult with him, and he seems to lose most priority battles. Hopefully there's something I'm just missing
Fox will probably need to abuse his fast walk, like he frequently did in Brawl, which sucks for a character that feels so well designed to be able to rushdown. I think just walking is an underrated tactic people aren't doing enough in this new game.

I don't think he's a bad character, but if he was identical to Brawl except no chaingrabs he'd be top tier for sure IMO. I'm thinking mid tier with the nerfs. They're such subtle nerfs I didn't even catch them until I actually got to play Fox. Sad :(

Last edited:

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
that downthrow has ridiculous knock back as well meaning you can't combo off it anymore.

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
Actually you still can combo after down throw. I was able to do it plenty of times in online matches.
I've been playing a lot of fox and he's not that bad. Yeah he lost his bread and butter from brawl, shine is no longer a semi spike being completely useless, still can't jump out of shine, side b can't be canceled anymore and it has longer animation recovery, no up smash upair(why falco can do this now is beyond me) no more short hop lasers, and up smash/uair can no longer kill below 100%.

But he can juggle with up tilt, spike with a fast falling fair, can no longer be chain grabbed, and better recovery.

Plus there is dash dancing in ssb4 but its like brawl since its hard to pull off.
And if you include the 3ds controls it's even worse. But maybe it might be more easier with the wii u version(hopefully).

While the nerfs are just unnecessary. Fox is still a really good character in ssb4. He just has to be used in a different way instead of just using short hop lasers and approaching with nair planes.

Last edited:

Maniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xoxMANIAKxox
Actually you still can combo after down throw. I was able to do it plenty of times in online matches.
I've been playing a lot of fox and he's not that bad. Yeah he lost his bread and butter from brawl, shine is no longer a semi spike being completely useless, still can't jump out of shine, side b can't be canceled anymore and it has longer animation recovery, no up smash upair(why falco can do this now is beyond me) no more short hop lasers, and up smash/uair can no longer kill below 100%.

But he can juggle with up tilt, spike with a fast falling fair, can no longer be chain grabbed, and better recovery.

Plus there is dash dancing in ssb4 but its like brawl since its hard to pull off.
And if you include the 3ds controls it's even worse. But maybe it might be more easier with the wii u version(hopefully).

While the nerfs are just unnecessary. Fox is still a really good character in ssb4. He just has to be used in a different way instead of just using short hop lasers and approaching with nair planes.
I was wondering what is the technique for dash dancing in this game? I didnt play brawl. Also how do you think Fox and Falco stack up?

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
I barely played brawl myself so I can't exactly answer that. all I can say is that in this game it's actually possible since theres no longer tripping involved. Also its hard to say exactly how well fox and falco stack up but from what I experienced and watched they seem to stack pretty well. Falco seems to be able to do a thing where he can down throw short hop nair and then do a regrab. It seems to work well against heavy weights and fast fallers. Most Notably boozer, sheik, and ZSS three characters that many people considered to be the best character's in the game. Fox seems to be great with the no chain grabs/better recovery alone since two of those things are what screwed him over in brawl. I've been experimenting a bit with fox and found out he can do a up tilt to dair combo similar to what he did in ssb64 I don't know if this would work on a lot of characters though.

Edit: the up tilt dair juggle seems to work best against characters with a huge size like Bowser,DK, and D3. It takes a lot of practice to pull it off consistently.

Last edited:

Maniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xoxMANIAKxox
Ok saw the dash dancing it's dashing forward and immediately on the first few frames back dash so it does work. I need to train this. Lol

Maniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xoxMANIAKxox
Yeah some characters it's easier than others. Fox is so fast it's hard to cancel that quick. Captain falcon however is much easier to dash dance.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I will say this... People who enjoyed Brawl's iteration of Fox, but not this one should give Yoshi a try... It's kind of startling how similar he feels. Let me know what you think.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I will say this... People who enjoyed Brawl's iteration of Fox, but not this one should give Yoshi a try... It's kind of startling how similar he feels. Let me know what you think.
Yoshi became Fox... Yoshi has a back-flip for his Up Smash... Fox gains Wolf's Specials as customs... Falco gains Wolf's bair and Up Smash in function... IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Linksmasher

Smash Rookie
i hope they can make a parch where you can do laser hop again, i feel like.. the blaster is a little useless to make pressure now..

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I detest Yoshi too much and love Fox too much to do that.

I'll just figure out how Fox can do with what he has in SSB4, which is likely more than what most have to say about him.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I detest Yoshi too much and love Fox too much to do that.

I'll just figure out how Fox can do with what he has in SSB4, which is likely more than what most have to say about him.
What did Yoshi ever do to you? How can you hate this lovable dinosaur?

Rhus

We're going top speed!
What did Yoshi ever do to you? How can you hate this lovable dinosaur?
I think Yoshi is actually really ugly

I'm not a Yoshi fan. I'm a Fox fan that loves the Star Fox series more than the Mario series.

Besides, Yoshi isn't really Fox. They have a similar Usmash but their strengths and weaknesses are entirely different. Not only am I not a fan of his, but I'm also not convinced I would like playing him in the least.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
it was a joke lol and what?
Will you not play as Yoshi on his own merits instead of playing as him to replace Fox? Yes, wording good...

I think Yoshi is actually really ugly

I'm not a Yoshi fan. I'm a Fox fan that loves the Star Fox series more than the Mario series.

Besides, Yoshi isn't really Fox. They have a similar Usmash but their strengths and weaknesses are entirely different. Not only am I not a fan of his, but I'm also not convinced I would like playing him in the least.
Yoshi's not that ugly compared to Wario or Link on the Wii U... HIS EYES! THEY BURN MY SOUL...

Ahem, you can't play as another character to replace another character because they have a similar move or whatnot. Unless it's said that Character A died or retired and Character B is the successor, than playing as Character F because F resembles Character G who was nerfed or changed doesn't make much sense since Character F is probably not going to be super similar to Character G.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
Will you not play as Yoshi on his own merits instead of playing as him to replace Fox? Yes, wording good...
Yoshi may have some good attributes but i like all of foxes moves because they feel and look right to me, at least they did in melee and somewhat in brawl. I've tried yoshi in melee and pm and i just don't like the way he plays or his metagame.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Yoshi in Smash 4 is a very fast character that can play rushdown style, but excels at defensive play, forcing approaches (somewhat) with his midrange projectile. His dash attack is a shield crossup, his usmash is very quick, has a large hitbox, and can kill fairly early. He also gets kills from his uair. His dair is a multi-hit punisher that links into other attacks. He has an above average recovery and can edgeguard well in a variety of ways. He has both a sex kick nair and a multihit aerial for excellent shield pressure, but he has to be careful approaching.

Now replace the words "Yoshi in Smash 4" with "Fox in SSBB" and the comparisons are definitely there. That's all I'm saying.

I would say that I'd prefer not to play as Yoshi because of his stupid voice... but then again, Fox's voice in 4 isn't much (if any) better.

Gentatsu-

Smash Rookie
NNID
JessJuxtaposed
3DS FC
2079-6864-4769
I am really digging fox as he lets me play in the way I like with good grabs and decent aerial follow up. Gives me the ability to punish projectile spam as well. All of his aerials feel really solid except for his dair which I find fair's hitstun feels better.

Yoshi does feel really solid in Smash4 though.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I just want to clarify for those of you who didn't play Brawl.

Brawl Fox is good. Like, *really* good. Like, even-with-Metaknight-on-neutrals good. Like can-deal-with-most-of-the-high-tiers-evenly good.

Or at least, he should be good. He gets spanked by every chain grab and infinite and abuse in the game. At least a half dozen characters have free ~100% combos or infinites on him that are really easy to set up in to (grab or ZSS Dsmash). Pikachu grabs you? Stock. ZSS dsmashes you? Stock. Sheik ftilts you? Stock. Falco grabs you? Most of your stock. Marth or Pit grabs you? 50% damage. Ice Climbers have a lot of easy setups in to grab that cost you your stock and are an 80:20 matchup.

Brawl Fox, in a game without chaingrabs, would be a fantastic character. He was unviable because he gets abused by certain mechanics that hurt him more than anyone else in Brawl.

This was true in Brawl too, but the shine was useful as an air stall and also safe for shinespikes as a result.
So, does this big weakness still apply in Smash 4?

RPK

Smash Lord
So, does this big weakness still apply in Smash 4?
No

Yep :( He felt really good when I started playing him at first, exactly like Brawl, until I landed that first dair.

His jab is "buffed" in that it has a finisher, but overall nerfed because you can no longer use the first hit of jab and then do something else (usmash, grab). No mixups. This is a common thing across the board, and part of what I feel looks like a trend of attempting to simplify the game compared to Brawl. Most characters have their Brawl bread and butters removed (Peach's turnip nerfs and fair autocancel removal, Pit's arrow turning nerfs, Fox's dair/laser nerfs, Falco/s dair/laser/throw nerfs, Wario's SH dair autocancels removal, etc).

His usmash is nerfed. Combined with VI it's not a particularly great kill move.

We already knew about the lasers, but now they're basically only useful for extreme distances.

Dair has too much landing lag, and parts if it send people up, so it can never ever combo in to anything.

Side-B's buffed, it goes right through Sheik's needles, maybe invincibility? And it doesn't go in to freefall, so you can up-B after side-B. However, there's a little bit of an animation before you can up-B, so it's not as amazing as it sounds. But it does mean that if you're barely too far away you can make it.

That's basically everything that made Fox great in Brawl :/ He had a dair that led in to a mixup on shield and in to a kill move or mixup on hit and the vertical speed to space it as a threat. He had a laser game that could force you to approach if you were, say, Metaknight. And he had very fast options that let him get kills early if you messed up or lost a guessing game after jab. And he had the shinestall to prevent him from being too obvious when he was going to come down with a speedy fastfalled aerial.

Most of these are gone, except the last one. I seriously considered playing Fox for a while in Brawl, so this is disappointing.

He's still got speed and nice hitboxes, but he has to always approach now, which gets predictable since the game has no dashdancing, and has no real threats as far as early kills and setups for them.

Fox will probably need to abuse his fast walk, like he frequently did in Brawl, which sucks for a character that feels so well designed to be able to rushdown. I think just walking is an underrated tactic people aren't doing enough in this new game.

I don't think he's a bad character, but if he was identical to Brawl except no chaingrabs he'd be top tier for sure IMO. I'm thinking mid tier with the nerfs. They're such subtle nerfs I didn't even catch them until I actually got to play Fox. Sad :(
Actually, you should atleast be able to do Dair to grab, or Dair to jab if you fast fall it and don't let the last hit which pops them up connect. Overall though, Yes I definitely agree that his Dair got nerfed and is definitely not what it used to be, but his nair is still just as amazing as it used to be in Brawl and thats going to be the new tool for Fox.

His Nair combos into his dash attack, his upsmash, and grab if youre a baller. In addition to that, at low percents it combos into his uptilts which lead into grabs. I've gotten numerous 0-40 combos with Fox and its just so easy. Also the combo Nair to Dash Attack is EXTREMELY STRONG IN SMASH 4. Why? Because of Airdodging getting a huge nerf with that landing lag, and we can practically treat every character like Snake now. Because of how low Dash attack pops someone up, it forces them to choose between either double jumping away which is suicide unless there are platforms, or land in front with an attack in which case we shield and get a free follow up either way lol. Also Nair on shield is pretty damn safe if combined with a fast fall and is spaced correctly as it feels like it has practically no recovery.

His Dashing and Fox Trotting can also be extremely abused now because of the lack of tripping that we don't need to walk as much anymore even if it is a viable tactic. And with the addition of pivots, his Forward Smash is now a pretty viable move. In addition to this, he also has his dash canceled pivot grab back that can cover what feels like a mile. And if that ends up landing, we can downthrow and combo afterwards. If they airdodge, then its still a guaranteed follow up as Airdodging in this game is horrible if they touch the ground.

Yes, I agree that Upsmash got nerfed, but its still an amazing option as we still have the option that made it strong in the first place. Shield drop -> Dash -> Upsmash. That alone was able to punish hundreds of moves in Brawl and nothing has changed. We just need to experiment on what we can do it to and take VI into account. Also we need to take the Rage Effect into account as that'll increase the knockback on Upsmash so it might not be as weak as you think. Plus when it comes to killing Bair is just as amazing

Jabs are just as amazing. Its just that you can't do just the first one. You need to do the first and the second jab, and then youll be able to get your follow up afterwards. This was in brawl too.

Also with his Side-B Buff and with that lack of landing lag, he can do what Falco could do in brawl...Think about it...

Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention edgeguarding with Sh fair is absolutely amazing since it can spike and all that...

Last edited:

Maniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xoxMANIAKxox
Short hop fair spikes? I keep getting multi hit and it pops them back up?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I disagree that Yoshi feels like Brawl Fox. Yoshi feels like Brawl Yoshi... just with the things that held him back finally fixed.

I think Fox is actually pretty nice, but is kind of being overshadowed at the moment. I think when the dust settles he'll probably end up at the middle of the pack somewhere. A respectable choice with a few options but also some weaknesses to overcome.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I think Fox is actually pretty nice, but is kind of being overshadowed at the moment. I think when the dust settles he'll probably end up at the middle of the pack somewhere. A respectable choice with a few options but also some weaknesses to overcome.
I pretty much agree here - and I think this is, in an ideal world, exactly how every character should be. :) Strong, demanding respect and fun to play, but with weaknesses to overcome. Fox has a lot of good options and, in my opinion, is really satisfying and rewarding to use. He works for his KOs and it feels great when he gets them. :grin:

Last edited:

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
fox got nerfed pretty hard in this game lol i keep thinking this is melee trying to spike people with a shine but its practically useless in this game.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Last edited:
Top Bottom