• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is F.L.U.D.D. overpowered?

The Trump Card

Smash Cadet
F.L.U.D.D. goes through everything and it can't be stopped, it seems kind of overpowered for something that doesn't do damage. I'm kind of a noob though, so I don't know all that much about F.L.U.D.D.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Fludd can be shielded and airdodged. And it doesn't do damage. It's not overpowered in any stretch of the word.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No, FLUDD is not overpowered.

Yes, it's overall very useful. However you must realize it doesn't work very well against all recoveries anyway. The Pushback of the FLUDD is seldom enough alone to finish your opponent off. You need to be watching for a moment when their recovery will be most vulnerable, and generally after using the FLUDD, you have to be able to quickly follow up with something else like the Cape.

seshun

Smash Apprentice
you can stop oncoming aerial attacks and they usually land right in front of you for a smash attack. thats what i use it for.

???????

Smash Journeyman
The F.L.U.D.D. has a good amount of priority over most projectiles in the game and has many unique uses, but it does no damage and its pushback can be negated by shielding or dodging.

*F.L.U.D.D. is a very useful move but it is by no means overpowered*

*The cape can reflect the F.L.U.D.D.*

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
I bet it's the worst special movement of the game. It is not worth edgeguarding nor than attacking.
F.LU.D.D.'s good for edgeguarding. Pushes their recovery back and makes it more difficult for them to come back on the stage. Play a good Mario and you'll see. LOL at thinking F.L.U.D.D. is overpowered.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Some of my favorite kills are with Fludd...Ness...Lucas...yeah....on a different note...Fludd stops Luigi's Misfire....that's probably the most over powered part about Fludd

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Also blows up Snake's dsmash :p
No way overpowered, but people are pretty stupid if they think it's the worst special in the game.
ROB's Side B probably takes that title.

E-unit

Smash Cadet
It can be VERY useful sometimes when I play a casual match with smartbombs. I use the F.L.U.D.D. to push it towards my friends when they busy fighting each other and they accidentally set it off:laugh: or deflect it away when they throw it at me.:)

Doctor X

Smash Lord
I don't play Mario much, but just experimenting in training I find that Fludd may make Mario a hard counter to Ness and Lucas... maybe others. I'll be experimenting with it tuesday and hopefully will have some videos.

Edit: Soft counter at best, I think. Sure, it will destroy them if they use their Up-B to recover, but seeing as they can easily DI very high from almost all of Mario's moves, it's very, very rare that you get a chance to use it on them. Unless they're stupid. :p

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I bet it's the worst special movement of the game. It is not worth edgeguarding nor than attacking.
The worst special attack in the game? Nah. FLUDD is **** against space animals quite seriously.

The worst specials are more like...DDD's Down-B, Jigglypuff's Sing, Falcon's Forward-B and Falcon Punch, and Ganondorf's Warlock Punch.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Sorry if this is known about FLUDD already but,if you shoot FLUDD(fully charged) just as an opponent attack hits you,it cancels out the blinking effect which indicates that Mario has a full tank,still granting him a full tank to shoot still.That can be used for surprize attacks since its pretty weird seeing Mario shooting Fludd(full power) without blinking 1st. :) Again if this is already known,Iam sorry..Thank God DK doesnt have that in his arsenal. o.0

Veggi

Smash Champion
Sorry if this is known about FLUDD already but,if you shoot FLUDD(fully charged) just as an opponent attack hits you,it cancels out the blinking effect which indicates that Mario has a full tank,still granting him a full tank to shoot still.That can be used for surprize attacks since its pretty weird seeing Mario shooting Fludd(full power) without blinking 1st. :) Again if this is already known,Iam sorry..Thank God DK doesnt have that in his arsenal. o.0
That would mean DK would always be able to connect it through attacks. If it hims him as he's about to use it he gets it back, if he gets hit during it he has super armor. O_O

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
That would mean DK would always be able to connect it through attacks. If it hims him as he's about to use it he gets it back, if he gets hit during it he has super armor. O_O

XD No,Iam talking in the sense of knowing DK has a fully charged punch by him blinking as a indication.If DK had the ablility to charge and cancel the indicating part like our friend Mario with Fludd,it would be that much harder to tell when the hell hes gonna use it,let alone knowing he even has the punch ready. o.0 That could be why they gave him the armor frames to prevent that trick from happening.Samus as far as I can tell by playing against a good player named Muz loses her charge still if shes hit just before she shoots it.

My only guess is that since this is Mario's first game where hes got a charging special,the devs probably forgot to give Mario the same canceling effect given to Samus for 3 games now.

Vidd

Smash Cadet
I tried using FLUDD today briefly but I just couldn't find a use for it.
Maybe against Ness, it'll prove worthwhile.

Roager

Smash Ace
Also blows up Snake's dsmash :p
No way overpowered, but people are pretty stupid if they think it's the worst special in the game.
ROB's Side B probably takes that title.
First off, you're right. No way is FLUDD overpowered. But it's pretty awesome. Even if it doesn't kill, it usually puts the opponent in position for something powerful.

But dude, ROB's side-B is the worst? It reflects projectiles! Notably, Samus's charge beam. It's pretty empowering to play ROB and kill Samus three times with a reflected charge shot.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I tried using FLUDD today briefly but I just couldn't find a use for it.
Maybe against Ness, it'll prove worthwhile.
FLUDD isn't something you just pick up and expect to instantly work for you (lulz MK).

You have to experiment with it to get the results you want. It just happens to work on Ness best, but it works on practically everyone. If not for edgeguarding, then for screwing up spacing or even recovery.

Adam_CUTIE

Smash Cadet
The worst special attack in the game? Nah. FLUDD is **** against space animals quite seriously.

The worst specials are more like...DDD's Down-B, Jigglypuff's Sing, Falcon's Forward-B and Falcon Punch, and Ganondorf's Warlock Punch.
Sing > Rest combo is anal ****.

Falcon PUnch and Warlock Punch can be set up to get massively funny kills if your opponent is predictable, or botched an up B and is now free-falling

you dumb.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Sing > Rest combo is anal ****.

Falcon PUnch and Warlock Punch can be set up to get massively funny kills if your opponent is predictable, or botched an up B and is now free-falling

you dumb.
All of which are extremely situational; even moreso than FLUDD. They also have WAY too much lag to even risk doing in most cases. None of these characters can afford that kind of vulnerability either way. Warlock punch and Falcon punch are better for recovery than anything.

luminoth

Smash Rookie
When people use FLUDD they expect something really great to happen, like an amazing gimp. Thing is, most of the time, you just end up wasting a good opportunity to edge guard. Interestingly, people will try it again and again hoping that sometime they will experience that magic moment. Eventually they will stop wasting their time.

Even the gale boomerang can push people farther when they are trying to recover. Mario's own cape is better for this purpose than FLUDD.

Star_Wolfx

Smash Rookie
I don't think fludd is overpowered, but imo, its just as good as the cape. its just more situational. its better against space animals and lucas/ness. it's usually ez to predict when a space is gonna use their side B, and fludd either pushes them too far away, or places them close enough for a smash. lucas/ness get killed when u push them away from their thunder. i also find it useful against gaw to stop his turtle from coming too close.

Veggi

Smash Champion
FLUDD is no where near over powered. It's not useless, but it's situational. If there's a next Smash hopefully they'll give it a buff or something. Try pushing Zelda off the stage while she's doing Din's Fire. So fun. : )

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
F.L.U.D.D. is a pretty good aerial counter, it stops stuff like G & W's turtle which is pretty useful.

Beartron

Smash Rookie
Really? NOW maybe I can find a real good use for it.
For all those players that don't see any point in using FLUDD, check this Mario video to give you some ideas... http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183219

Watching videos makes more sense to me than the jargon most posters use which I have yet to understand. I'm gonna start using FLUDD more, even if it kills me a lot. Looks like fun!

P.S. I think the original poster was being sarcastic. Did no one else see that?

Top Bottom