• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Diddy Kong underrated?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Everywhere I go down here in AZ, no one at all plays Diddy which saddens me.

Diddy may lack some priority in his moves, but he's still overall a great character to play with. Banana mindgames, lagless moves (He can actually combo!)... etc.

Does anyone play Diddy in your area?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
actually...now that i think about it, i went to a 128 person tournament a few weeks ago, and i was 1 of only 2 diddy players there, and the other one looked like he had just started using him. In recent tourney threads, i seem to be the only diddy thats even posted.

So i would say that yes, I do think he is underrated by the general public. Hopefully some of us can make some noise at tournaments and change that

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Diddy's Popularity.

Everytime I play "With Anyone" matches online I've never seen another Diddy player but me. I see way too many Ikes though. On the poll of which character is your favorite/main I think Diddy was in the top 5 or 7.

Jebin_Zedalu

Smash Cadet
No, I've never seen a Diddy main.

But then, I've only ever seen a Pit main, a Lucario main and a Toon Link main. I main Pokemon Trainer myself. I really want to find some SSBB players where I live, but I'm honestly one of about 4 people who live within a 1-mile radius of my house and that actually knows what electronics are.

Mario Ph.D

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I hadn't thought about that until you said that, but I think it is totally true. I'm the only Diddy main I have seen, and my brother uses him as a secondary, but that is all. Makes me sad, but that may still change over time.

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't understand why he isn't getting more attention. He's sooo fun to play as. I mean, even if my only move was the banana toss, I'd still enjoy playing as him, simply because of the hilarity the bananas cause. :p

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
Did isn't a good technical character, he will be low-to-bottom tier.

endtopic.
Fail.
Fail again.
And another fail. Since when was this thread a discussion on Diddy's tier?

My guess as to why Diddy isn't popular is because he's not that aesthetically pleasing.
You see a lot of Ike's because, well, he's ****ing Ike. He walks around with a cape and a huge sword.

But, Diddy as a character is quite capable. Bananas are absolutely amazing when used correctly, his moves connect nicely, and he isn't lacking in the kill-move department (from playing against a really good Diddy player not too long ago). Overall, Diddy will become more popular as his potential is shown to the world.

As for people playing in my area, I'm highly unsure. I rarely go about playing in the area (aside from that I work every other day for four days, I rarely get to go out), but I do know that one of my crew members who doesn't own the game was looking to try and learn Diddy.

-Nox`

Elementals

Smash Rookie
I like winning with underrated characters. I tried to main ICs once, but thats out of my league. And Diddy Kong Racing was a great game.

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
I'm not overly good at diddy and I think his recover is a pain to control but he has one of the most amazing air games. I picked him up once against my friend and although I lost, I barely lost. This was against one of his mains as well. I think diddy is a sweet character and I want to learn how to use him better.

As for popularity:
It doesn't exist

Shears

Smash Master
i second diddy. hes really good, fsmash thats diesel, with an upsmash you can combo into and his dash attack you can pull off over and over again racking up damage. great meteor with dair and upB, uair has great ability to knock an opponent over the edge, and a bair that comes out fast with good knockback. his forwardB kick has awesome priority, bananas which tool on your opponent giving you the perfect chance to send them into a deadly fsmash. dsmash that comes out quick with good knockback and a ftilt that reaches far. a jab that traps the opponent and racks up damage. nothing bad about diddy, hes not as light as MK so he doesnt die too easily and can recover real good, unless they hit you out of your upB then youre kinda toast. i love diddy, but i main MK so i use him more.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Diddy is underrated, which is ridiculous because he can basically counter any strategy in the game with Banana's alone. I'm not complaining though, I don't want people to know how to fight me.

Grandeza

Smash Master
I hope he stays underrated. He's a very good character and many will not be accustomed to fighting Diddy. I also don't want him to be overused.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
Diddy is a fun character to use. Used efficently and he is deadly. He's "underrated" because he isn't aesthically pleasing, compared to Ike, Zelda, and Peach. Also, people misunderstand how to use him to his best. Some people spam his weapons, but a balance of everything and knowing how to recover with his attacks is key in winning. I don't main Diddy Kong, but I do love his addition in Brawl and with his uniqueness, he will stand out soon enough. Its too early to say right now.

Barr

Smash Rookie
I never got the jist that he was an underrated character because in my circle of friends there are two people who use him. Maybe all of you guys play with losers who pick characters just because they look cool instead of their true potential.

ElSpaniard

Smash Cadet
My friend will take those stupid bananas and make sure im flat on my *** the whole match. The mind games used with those bananas can just be ridiculous at times!

DKO

Smash Rookie
So far as I know, I am the only Diddy Kong player in a school and I am very proud in doing so. It adds a bit more unique character into play rather than having your "high tier" characters or popular characters.

Count

Smash Champion
So far as I know, I am the only Diddy Kong player in a school and I am very proud in doing so. It adds a bit more unique character into play rather than having your "high tier" characters or popular characters.

Truth. Of the people I play with (discounting online of course), there is a marth, an ike, two toon links, two pits, a capt falcon/wario, a meta knight, and a sheik/dedede. So basically three of us aren't whored characters, which makes winning with diddy fun.

Diddykongmasta

Smash Cadet
i mastered diddy kong,
But it was by complete accident me and my freinds where just messing around i was originally good with meta knight but then i decided to play as Diddy Kong and I have played as him ever since

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
Yep, Diddy is underrated.That's a good thing though, because he's near top tier in my opinion. Once people find out how good he is, wifi will be flooding with them. I don't like when people use characters I frequently use unless they're good with them.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Did isn't a good technical character, he will be low-to-bottom tier.

endtopic.
Fascinating. Once again you manage to fill a thread with fail.

I'm tired of your Diddy bashing, take it outside this forum.

Besides, Diddy is a great technical character. lagles moves ftw? COMBOS?

Anyway, I dunno, maybe because people look towards broken characters like Ike, who have already shined across the universe (**** Ike)

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

GotWater

Smash Rookie
I main diddy, and I have 2 friends who main diddy. :chuckle:

But other then that, I have never played a diddy sooo, yeah I'd say he is underrated.

6footninja

Smash Ace
I'd have to agree. Diddy isn't my main, he has second though. Im the only person around where I live that has actually spent enough time on him to consider him one of my top 3.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Diddy seems too good to be as unpopular as he is. At a tournament I went to, I didn't see a single Diddy main there, and the only ones who've used him at all were my brother and I. I dont' think he's top, but he should be up there (upper mid to high tier).

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why Diddy is as unpopular as he is. He is certainly better than most of the popular characters. I decided to main Diddy because of this. I did a little test with spectator mode. I decided to main whichever character I saw least in spectator. I was surprised when Diddy was the least used, I thought it would have been Yoshi.

saberhof

Smash Master
im the only one that plays diddy in my area =(...all of TJ maybe i think im the only one, so its pretty fun they dont know how to play a diddy =D

Contrary

Smash Cadet
I know a kid who has adopted both Diddy and Pit as his mains, he's actually quite good.
Of course he plays both of them using the same general strategy. Camp camp camp.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Diddy is feared where I live. His banana combos are extremely hard to avoid, and his mind games (while he's holding a banana) work so well........

... I hate it. I lost to a Diddy in the first PR Evo tourney. :p

pyrblaze

Smash Rookie
Everywhere I go down here in AZ, no one at all plays Diddy which saddens me.

Diddy may lack some priority in his moves, but he's still overall a great character to play with. Banana mindgames, lagless moves (He can actually combo!)... etc.

Does anyone play Diddy in your area?
others that play diddy in my area?
no one else that I know personally.
and none that I've seen in either tourney's (not quite good enough for that, I just watch for now) nor among personal friends.

I just don't think that people understand Diddy's style. So they underestimate him!

Top Bottom