• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Brawl+ (homebrew included) illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
I want well described facts, no opinions allowed

Someone on another forum said this

"Brawl+ is a illegal modification made without permission of the creators of the original programming. Using it means technically you are using illegal Wii software. Nintendo says something about being prosecuted in the manuals, too."

And it had me thinking

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
I'm not gonna go and explain like it has already been a million times, So I'll just say technically no. You are not pirating software by playing Brawl+.. that's a basic start.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I want well described facts, no opinions allowed

Someone on another forum said this

"Brawl+ is a illegal modification made without permission of the creators of the original programming. Using it means technically you are using illegal Wii software. Nintendo says something about being prosecuted in the manuals, too."

And it had me thinking
It is very illegal. I've already called the police and they're coming to your house to arrest you for even speaking of such heresy.

Kiyuzoh

Smash Cadet
Brawl+ is legal, texture hacks are illegal, producing Brawl+ on a disc is illegal, Homebrew is legal, but emulators on Homebrew are illegal. Corrections are appreciated.

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
Installing roms on your wii that you don't own is considered illegal.

Distributing ISOs of the game is illegal, so is making money off of anything that has to do with Brawl

I think i just made myself look stupid...

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Brawl+ is legal, texture hacks are illegal, producing Brawl+ on a disc is illegal, Homebrew is legal, but emulators on Homebrew are illegal. Corrections are appreciated.
Having an emulator is legal depending on how it was made (if it doesn't include any of Nintendo's work). ROMs are illegal unless you have the actual game, but even then not really.

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
tbh, these answers do not satisfy the question I want answered well enough

I shouldn't talk though, since I'd probably give an even more uneducated answer

shanus

Smash Hero
Installing Homebrew and utilizing it solely for the Brawl+ official codesets we produce using the twilight hack is in no way illegal.

If you however produce burnt copies of the ISO or run emulation software with homebrew, that is illegal.

In conclusion, if you use Brawl+ the way we provide it to you, you are doing nothing wrong.

homsar

Smash Ace
If you however produce burnt copies of the ISO
I may be wrong but I believe this is legal if and only if you pruduce the burnt copies by dumping your own legally purchased copy of the game and the burnt copy is only ever used for personal at home use.

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
I quoted what was said by Shanus and googoldganon

the person has not replied yet, perhaps his claims were not backed up by anything

This person also seems to dislike the idea of hacking a game to make it better

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
The real issue is that Nintendo's Wii EULA is so vague about this subject that they can justify removing Homebrew without having to claim that it is illegal.

Technically, it's easy to prove that Homebrew is not illegal in the US (see Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc.). Unfortunately, this isn't what the EULA forbids. The EULA says that Nintendo can outright disable, "unauthorized or illegal software placed on your Wii Console to ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, or prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels." This pretty much means that if they decide to bust Homebrew, they can just go ahead and do it. Realistically, they probably won't because EULAs are on shaky legal ground to begin with, but they can at least begin to justify it.

Brawl+ is defensible in that GameShark and AR codes have never been successfully litigated before, despite being unauthorized hacks. However, Brawl+ does suffer from the fact that Nintendo could argue that it significantly alters the content of the game to constitute a violation of their copyright. From there, it's down to determining whether Brawl+ falls under fair use.

Personally, I think Brawl+ should more than fall under fair use, since you need to own Brawl to use it, and since some people play Brawl+ who don't play Brawl, this in fact increases Brawl's market value, so Nintendo really shouldn't complain. Furthermore, you could argue that Brawl+ is a transformative work.

ROMs and Emulators are illegal, as are WADs.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This is true. Emulator is just a piece of software that runs ROMs, but they can't prosecute you if its just sitting on your computer doing absolutely nothing, for instance.
Yeah, I misspoke (typed?) there. I was focused more on finding food by that point than on fact checking. ^^;

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Technically the snapshot hack is illegal. I won't go into detail saying how but it shouldn't matter as much since it's really a temporary fix until the new GeckoOS. I haven't looked into the Texture hacks though.

On a side note, it seems like the store I bought my USBGecko was holding item until I agreed to get a $5 discount for shipping errors. They charged my card and then held the order, never shipping. WTF? And they held it to see if it was okay for them to discount $5. Of course it's okay to give me money. Did they honestly think I would have said, "No"?
::sigh::

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Why are texture hacks illegal but Brawl+ isn't? Aren't they both just modifications of the game?

Edit: oh never mind, I forgot you used to have to burn a disc to do it, lol

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
i got arrested a week ago, got a $2500 and a 3 month suspended sentence, but i still kept brawl + becuase it's toooo good, even worth jail.

LongCat90001

Smash Cadet
The real issue is that Nintendo's Wii EULA is so vague about this subject that they can justify removing Homebrew without having to claim that it is illegal.

Technically, it's easy to prove that Homebrew is not illegal in the US (see Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc.). Unfortunately, this isn't what the EULA forbids. The EULA says that Nintendo can outright disable, "unauthorized or illegal software placed on your Wii Console to ensure that your Wii Console is operating properly and efficiently, comply with applicable laws, assist law enforcement, protect us and our customers, or prevent the use and distribution of software obtained through improper channels." This pretty much means that if they decide to bust Homebrew, they can just go ahead and do it. Realistically, they probably won't because EULAs are on shaky legal ground to begin with, but they can at least begin to justify it.

Brawl+ is defensible in that GameShark and AR codes have never been successfully litigated before, despite being unauthorized hacks. However, Brawl+ does suffer from the fact that Nintendo could argue that it significantly alters the content of the game to constitute a violation of their copyright. From there, it's down to determining whether Brawl+ falls under fair use.

Personally, I think Brawl+ should more than fall under fair use, since you need to own Brawl to use it, and since some people play Brawl+ who don't play Brawl, this in fact increases Brawl's market value, so Nintendo really shouldn't complain. Furthermore, you could argue that Brawl+ is a transformative work.

ROMs and Emulators are illegal, as are WADs.
GG.

( Now I need 7 more characters :( )

SCOTU

Smash Hero
If it were illegal, We would not be allowed to discuss it on these forums. MLG maintains very high legal standards, meaning if it's illegal, we can't discuss it. If there's any gray area at all, or it comes close, we can't discuss it (i.e. installing homebrew). Brawl+ is not illegal.

also: texture hacks are only illegal if you use illegal methods to run them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom