• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Is 3 stock better than 2?

What should the official Smash 4 stock and time be? (please explain your reasoning)

• 2 stock 5 minuets

Votes: 48 5.9%
  • 2 stock 6 minuets

Votes: 163 20.0%
  • 3 stock 8 minuets

Votes: 533 65.2%
  • Other

Votes: 20 2.4%
  • I don't mind either way

Votes: 53 6.5%

• Total voters

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
The main problem I see with your argument (and on most people actually) is that you see it on a single-match basis. What about full sets? Best-of-5s? Changing the ruleset makes the number of stocks you have to play is much bigger than just one.

The point I'm trying to make is not about the number of mixups, but the impact they have. For example, think of characters that don't have as many mixups as others like Samus, Bowser, Ganon. They do have strong mixups but simply not too many. They could get great sets and even make it far in a tournament, but with three stocks these mixups are much less impacting in the long run; they might get a couple stocks, probably games, but they're way more likely to be figured out and prevented. And that's not a player-exclusive thing, is a character thing that is enhanced by the simple fact of having more overall stocks.
:196:
I agree totally, but this is the sacrifice we make when we take this game to a competitive level, that's why characters like Mewtwo and Donkey Kong don't see any play in Melee, because we've whittled away every character and played them to their max potential over the course of 14 years leaving them in solidified spots on the tier list. That's why I don't think we'll ever see a mixup from HBox other than killing Leffen 3 times with rollout. This might be a current issue with Smash 4 but thankfully Smash 4 brings patches, which will only help characters that suffer over the course of time. Hell, even Depth made it to grands last night as Samus against Ryo's Ike. The addition of 1 stock also allows players to get a better grasp on their opponent which only makes for a better spectacle in my opinion, there's nothing better than seeing someone down 3 stocks in melee and making a 3 stock comeback.

Melee Azen v Ken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EawcExEfR2I

And my favorite of all time, KJH comeback on Westballz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg26o65qySU

I suppose what I'm trying to prove with the videos is that the game can be super exciting even without mixups when payed at a high level. Given more time (more stocks) and the older the game gets the better people are going to get at the game and the better the matches are. It would only benefit us NOW to try 3 stock before we get stuck with 2 stock standard for another 10 years is what I'm saying.

Last edited:

clydeaker

Smash Journeyman
Let's all keep an open mind of the subject of stock number. This is a very controversial subject in the Smash community and it doesn't help if you don't listen to the opposing side. Instead of trying to counter every point you don't like, try to come up with new points to support your side instead of bashing the others. :)

The only way we can settle this is if everyone willing to give in a little and we make a compromise.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I do not think it is stubbornness this time around because there are more people supporting 3 stock but almost nobody is actually doing something about it.
I do not buy bashing on a game to support another. Smash 4 might be indeed faster, but there is no need to say "you shouldn't even bother with Brawl" to prove your point.
1 stock miiiiight doable if there were at least best of 9 sets. But then again, that's not what we're trying to prove here.
Oh another thing, the reason I support 2 stocks is not because of time, but because mixups become way more powerful and creativeness is actually rewarded instead of just one flashy play.
Well it seems more like the TOs are being stubborn about it rather than the non-TOs, and they are the ones in control of the rulesets. I didn't really mean to say that they shouldn't have bothered with Brawl, I was trying to say that it doesn't make sense that they want to use less stocks than how many were used in Brawl.

TheJolteon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
x5000luigi
"SDing doesn't put you at as much of a disadvantage"

you literally SD'd. You threw yourself offstage and killed yourself. That is your fault. Is that literally what people are arguing about 2 stocks? Here's a tip, don't kill yourself.

"Makes more time for comebacks"
I see people say "ur 2 stock argument is the same for a 1 stock argument!" but this is the same as a 4 or 5 stock argument. The more stocks the more room for comebacks, so let's play a 47 stock game. That isn't how it works. Heck, 2 stocks is EASIER to make a comeback, if I have 1 stock and they have 2, just kill their 1st stock and now you're both at the same stocks. If I'm at 1 stock and my opponent is at 3 stocks, yeah it makes a comeback more POSSIBLE, but it makes it even less PROBABLE.

"Who cares about time, we want what we want!"
Seriously doubting you've ever been a TO. TOs don't want tournaments running for too long. They want a smooth transition from pools to pools to bracket, in 1 or 2 days depending the tournament. Heck, most nationals get all pools done in 1 day. If a format already is hard to keep within the time frame, and people are asking for LONGER matches, it simply won't happen.

"3 stock is more fun"
friendlies are a thing, play them in friendlies.

"3 stock makes people less campy"
So what? The two big things about camping is 1. Makes the match go too long and 2. Boring to watch. #1 is defeated by the fact that 3 stock is still longer than 2 stock, and #2 is defeated by the fact that Smash 4 still gets a ton of viewers, it doesn't matter if it's a little more campy.

Most of you are looking at a "3 stock is more enjoyable" stance. I can't really disagree to be honest. For a competitive stance, "enjoyability" doesn't matter. 3 stock isn't colossaly better than 2 stock. The Pros of 3 stock don't matter in a tournament setting, while 2 stock works fine and still garners a lot of attention. 3 stock will literally do nothing except make tournaments go longer.
I think your missing the point

FallenHero

Smash Ace
"enjoyability" doesn't matter.
I don't understand how someone would even think that would not matter. Unless you are making a living of a certain game, people won't play a game they don't enjoy. The game is still enjoyable for me even with 2 stocks, but it is more enjoyable with 3 stocks for me.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I don't understand how someone would even think that would not matter. Unless you are making a living of a certain game, people won't play a game they don't enjoy. The game is still enjoyable more me even with 2 stocks, but it is more enjoyable with 3 stocks for me.
you said it yourself. 2 stocks is still enjoyable, and it is more reasonable in a tournament setting. 3 stock might be MORE fun, but 2 stock is still almost just as fun.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
you said it yourself. 2 stocks is still enjoyable, and it is more reasonable in a tournament setting. 3 stock might be MORE fun, but 2 stock is still almost just as fun.
Even if it is "more reasonable" in a tournament setting the game is still faster than Brawl and that game used 3 stocks 8 min. In a tournament setting 2 stocks is more reasonable for TOs, not the players.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Even if it is "more reasonable" in a tournament setting the game is still faster than Brawl and that game used 3 stocks 8 min. In a tournament setting 2 stocks is more reasonable for TOs, not the players.
wtf? you are literally agreeing with me. It doesn't matter what is reasonable for the players, they aren't the ones running the event. If something is the reasonable for the TOs and the players, they will use it. 2 stock is reasonable for the players and very reasonable for the TOs, so its used.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
wtf? you are literally agreeing with me. It doesn't matter what is reasonable for the players, they aren't the ones running the event. If something is the reasonable for the TOs and the players, they will use it. 2 stock is reasonable for the players and very reasonable for the TOs, so its used.
I would like to bring up a quick comparison and some maths to illustrate the differences between brawl and smash 4, taken directly from the losers finals between Nairo and V115 for brawl and Esam v ZeRo for smash 4 grand finals, both sets taken from Super Smash Con. In a best of 5 for the brawl matches only 4 were played. Each match in order were as follows, g1: 4:07, g2: 2:36, g3: 4:42, g4: 3:35, a total of 15 minutes and 20 seconds over four games. That's an average of 3:44 seconds per match. I even gave it the benefit of the doubt and added a theoretical match 5 at 3 minutes to make the total an average of 4:08 per match. For smash 4 a total of 5 games were played, but why compare a 4 game to a 5 game match? Well smash 4 over 5 games still went faster than brawl's set of 4. For smash 4, g1: 1:56, g2: 2:27, g3: 3:24, g4: 2:04, g5: 2:48, leaving us an average of 2:30 per match at 12 minutes total. Both games took an average stock once per minute. With brawl taking a total of 18 minutes (including the thoretical 5th match, only 15:20 without), and smash 4 taking 12 minutes, we can make an equation assuming smash 4 used 3 stocks. With 5 games and 1 extra stock per match we have theoretically a 17 minute set to brawls 18. This is an isolated experiment and I still don't see why we can't try 3 stock. At the least do some research and find out like I have, there's more to this than a "this is better because" argument.

Edit: videos for reference,
Brawl: http://youtu.be/BEAqK-zsUhw
Smash 4: http://youtu.be/mDU0_UkYqF4
Please look at this.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
If you are not thinking about what is reasonable for players then I don't think you are a good TO. Again, if TOs could play Brawl with 3 stocks and 8 min I don't see how it would not be reasonable for them in this game. Of course it matters if it is reasonable for the players, because they are the ones playing in the events.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
When you fight a campy player, 3 stock feels reeaally long and dragged out.

I've had several 2 stock matches that dragged on to sudden death, even when I'm using a noncampy character like Charizard. I'd never have the patience to go through 3 stock games like that, spectator-wise and player-wise.

PND

Smash Champion
Our grand finals in Ottawa last week: 2 stocks. both players who made it to Grand Finals were super defensive. Matches were taking around the 5:30 mark. Average stock length: 2:45 per stock. 3 stock would have gone to timeout, projecting those numbers.

I reject your numbers, IcantWin, because you don't have a large enough sample size to defend them. I could just as easily as replace them with my example instead and it remains quite clear that Smash 4 needs to remain at 2 stocks. That being said, what you're doing is major step in the right direction.

My recommendation? It's the pro-3-stockers that have the burden of proof upon them, if you really want to change the status quo someone needs to crunch the numbers from multiple majors and regionals. The more players and characters present in the data, the better and more accurate it is. Also important: Crunch the times for 3 stock Smash 4 events so we can see how they compare. Even if they're smaller scale events, host some, run the stopwatch, and get some hard numbers. If someone in the pro-3-stock movement can compile data like this, I say this is the head TO of my city, as a TO firmly entrenched in the 2 stock side of the debate, I will seriously reconsider the stock count for my scene.

Simply arguing on a message board and online polls do nothing to convince me otherwise. Someone needs to step up and prove to the community that 3 stocks is better, and 3 stocks can run on the same -- or similar -- timelines to how Smash 4 is already running, how Brawl runs, and how Melee runs.

It's easy to just blame TO's and call us lazy and stubborn. That's not the case. We take on a ****load of responsibility for the scene, for little or no recompense. We do it because we love it. On a daily basis, we make tons of decisions for what we believe is the best of the scene. You want to convince us we're wrong? We need proof.

You
want to change the status quo, you need to come up with the proof.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Just going to point out that top level play is way faster than all other levels of play.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
Our grand finals in Ottawa last week: 2 stocks. both players who made it to Grand Finals were super defensive. Matches were taking around the 5:30 mark. Average stock length: 2:45 per stock. 3 stock would have gone to timeout, projecting those numbers.

I reject your numbers, IcantWin, because you don't have a large enough sample size to defend them. I could just as easily as replace them with my example instead and it remains quite clear that Smash 4 needs to remain at 2 stocks. That being said, what you're doing is major step in the right direction.

My recommendation? It's the pro-3-stockers that have the burden of proof upon them, if you really want to change the status quo someone needs to crunch the numbers from multiple majors and regionals. The more players and characters present in the data, the better and more accurate it is. Also important: Crunch the times for 3 stock Smash 4 events so we can see how they compare. Even if they're smaller scale events, host some, run the stopwatch, and get some hard numbers. If someone in the pro-3-stock movement can compile data like this, I say this is the head TO of my city, as a TO firmly entrenched in the 2 stock side of the debate, I will seriously reconsider the stock count for my scene.

Simply arguing on a message board and online polls do nothing to convince me otherwise. Someone needs to step up and prove to the community that 3 stocks is better, and 3 stocks can run on the same -- or similar -- timelines to how Smash 4 is already running, how Brawl runs, and how Melee runs.

It's easy to just blame TO's and call us lazy and stubborn. That's not the case. We take on a ****load of responsibility for the scene, for little or no recompense. We do it because we love it. On a daily basis, we make tons of decisions for what we believe is the best of the scene. You want to convince us we're wrong? We need proof.

You
want to change the status quo, you need to come up with the proof.
We'll be trying a 3 stock 8 minute and a 3 stock 6 minute as a testing ground at our next local and monthly here in CT, I'm more excited about the 6 minute because we have had our fair share of campy players show up (capt. Awesum, oh god please why). I'll be gathering all of the information regarding stock and time usage and see what numbers I come up with when it's done and dump it here. My argument is purely speculative and I'm hoping it provokes enough people to at least branch out and try new things, as you bring up a few points I totally agree with. I'm hoping it's discussion like this that gets people thinking instead of pointlessly arguing like you said. In the end it's all about doing it before we can condemn it. Looking forward to getting more results.

Last edited:

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Just going to point out that top level play is way faster than all other levels of play.
Which is, strangely, usually the opposite with Melee. The game speeds up as you climb the rankings, then you hit the top 10 or so and everything slows down a bit. Just something I find interesting.

JPM_ACE

Smash Rookie
NNID
DEATHTHEA
the reason why i dont like 2 stock for sm4sh, is because it gives alittle bit more pressure. for example, in melee, if you lose a stock, you can say to yourself "okay, i still have three (or two) stocks left, i can still make a comeback." but in sm4sh, it can get you pressured or intimidated or something. you can feel like saying something like, "oh man, i already lost a stock, and if i lose my last one, im done for." yes i know its best of three and five, but i feel like its still not enough chances. hopefully once sm4sh is explored some more, the metagame is faster and has much more advanced techniques discovered that makes the game faster, and then, hopefully the ruleset changes to maybe three stocks

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Another thing about only having two stocks is that losing a stock immediately puts you in a last stock situation. You can't take risks here. Defensive, safe play is emphasized. And, since you only have one stock to your opponent's two, your opponent can go ahead and use suicide tactics (command grabs, aerials, footstools) to take an early stock as a trade for their first stock and take the win. Two stock immediately forces this situation after the loss of the first stock. Three stocks allows a bit more freedom of play before the risks outweigh the rewards.

JPM_ACE

Smash Rookie
NNID
DEATHTHEA
Another thing about only having two stocks is that losing a stock immediately puts you in a last stock situation. You can't take risks here. Defensive, safe play is emphasized. And, since you only have one stock to your opponent's two, your opponent can go ahead and use suicide tactics (command grabs, aerials, footstools) to take an early stock as a trade for their first stock and take the win. Two stock immediately forces this situation after the loss of the first stock. Three stocks allows a bit more freedom of play before the risks outweigh the rewards.
took the words right out of my mouth

Ajimi

Smash Cadet
My recommendation? It's the pro-3-stockers that have the burden of proof upon them, if you really want to change the status quo someone needs to crunch the numbers from multiple majors and regionals. The more players and characters present in the data, the better and more accurate it is.
[…]
You want to change the status quo, you need to come up with the proof.
More or less. The status quo was 3 stocks, ported from Brawl, the same way Brawl was 4 stocks at the beginning (ported from Melee). However people switched to 2 stocks in a hell of a hurry (the game was what, two months old ?) and for the wrong reasons : low-level play, vectoring, and 3DS controls. None of these apply now. We play on Wii U, players are good and vectoring was removed long ago.

You're a bit right that people have to prove their point to change a status quo ; but the current status quo itself replaced the precedent without proving it's necessity in the first place. The change was made wayyyy too quiclky, and would never ever have happened if the question was asked with the current meta. So I don't know if it is to the "2-stock side" or the "3-stock side" to really prove themselves.

3 stocks can't run exactly the same way than 2 stocks. It's physically impossible, of course a match will be a bit longer with one more stock (not 1/3 longer though). However justifying 2 stocks with "it already takes long enough" is taking the problem the wrong way. You mentioned Brawl, but the game IS already faster than it.

You should ask yourself "with a X hours planning, Y setups and Z stocks, how many players can play in my tournament ?" ; and not "I have X players with 2 stocks, so I must also have X players with 3 stocks in the same time and the same number of setups". Of course it will not work that way ; I mean I can host a Melee tournament with 2 stocks, see how it's crazy fast, and then refuse to go back to 4 stocks because it takes longer. If needed, put a cap on the number of entrants, it will encourage people to bring more setups and the problem will solve itself.

The ruleset should aim for the best game and the best accuracy possible (we do not do 1 stock BO1 for a reason), not just be there for convenience. I don't think local TOs are lazy or stubborn (I know it's a lot of work), however I think the big ones (Apex first, then EVO) just want to have a maximum of entrants (= maximum of money + maximum of viewers (which is also money)).

And then it's a vicious circle ; if you wait for a major to go 3 stocks before considering doing the same, I unfortunately think it will never happen. It's only if locals make changes that it can maybe next go all the way up to a major. You ask for proof, but if you are a TO why not try it yourself instead of asking it from others ? Maybe your local scene will find the game more enjoyable with 3 stocks, and it will provide useful data either way.

PND

Smash Champion
More or less. The status quo was 3 stocks, ported from Brawl, the same way Brawl was 4 stocks at the beginning (ported from Melee). However people switched to 2 stocks in a hell of a hurry (the game was what, two months old ?) and for the wrong reasons : low-level play, vectoring, and 3DS controls. None of these apply now. We play on Wii U, players are good and vectoring was removed long ago.

You're a bit right that people have to prove their point to change a status quo ; but the current status quo itself replaced the precedent without proving it's necessity in the first place. The change was made wayyyy too quiclky, and would never ever have happened if the question was asked with the current meta. So I don't know if it is to the "2-stock side" or the "3-stock side" to really prove themselves.
Look at all the majors. Look at all the regionals. They are 2 stock. History of 2 stocks is irrelevant, the burden of proof is on the 3 stock supporters. That much is pretty clear

3 stocks can't run exactly the same way than 2 stocks. It's physically impossible, of course a match will be a bit longer with one more stock (not 1/3 longer though). However justifying 2 stocks with "it already takes long enough" is taking the problem the wrong way. You mentioned Brawl, but the game IS already faster than it.
Yes, which is why comparison numbers are necessary. If 3 stocks proves to be only marginally more time intensive for TO's than 2 stock, good. Even better if you have Brawl numbers to compare that too, you'll have a much easier time convincing TO's, especially if those TO's used to run Brawl events. Melee numbers help because TO's often run both games side by side, knowing how the differentials will help TOs plan better events. if there's only one stream, for example, one event taking longer can actually be a benefit -- it means you don't have to stream the priority matches of one event over the other, you can finish Melee finals just as Smash 4 is hitting top 16 or whatever. Point is: Comparison numbers matter. You guys want to change the status quo? Somebody should crunch those numbers, because TO's "ain't gonna fix what ain't broke", as the expression goes.

You should ask yourself "with a X hours planning, Y setups and Z stocks, how many players can play in my tournament ?" ; and not "I have X players with 2 stocks, so I must also have X players with 3 stocks in the same time and the same number of setups". Of course it will not work that way ; I mean I can host a Melee tournament with 2 stocks, see how it's crazy fast, and then refuse to go back to 4 stocks because it takes longer. If needed, put a cap on the number of entrants, it will encourage people to bring more setups and the problem will solve itself.
This is an unfollowable mess of an argument. The first part is just patronizing and I'm not even going to touch it. Trust me, I know how to run tournaments. Capping entrants doesn't incentivize people to bring more setups -- Unless you're talking about priority registration, which tends to be disastrous for attracting new blood to the scene. New players often feel that priority registration dissuades them from even trying to enter (they're taking someone else's spot) or even worse, if they make the journey out but you have to turn away the player at the registration desk it means you probably won't ever see them out again.

Unless you're a big tournament and running into capacity or logisitical concerns, don't cap entrants. You can run a tournament with 4 players per setup really efficiently. You can grind through a tourney with 8 entrants to a setup. If you're on the ball, I've run an event with over 12 to 1 and still had it finish on time (but had to be heavy handed with DQs). Simply throwing more setups at the problem, while nice, doesn't solve it. Especially when you're a few rounds deep and the bracket has bottle necked so the number of setups no longer matters. There comes a point in double elim brackets where HAVE to wait for each round to finish one by one before you can call more matches. If 3 stocks sets are only taking a couple more minutes, that's not a big deal. If they are taking 5 minutes+ longer per set, then you run into an issue. After 6 rounds that's half an hour of tourney time that could have been saved. As the tourney grows, that's more rounds you have to contend with, and even more time TO's are losing. That's why those aforementioned timing numbers are so important.

The ruleset should aim for the best game and the best accuracy possible (we do not do 1 stock BO1 for a reason), not just be there for convenience. I don't think local TOs are lazy or stubborn (I know it's a lot of work), however I think the big ones (Apex first, then EVO) just want to have a maximum of entrants (= maximum of money + maximum of viewers (which is also money)).
2 stocks is still very accurate. Does Zero still win every tournament? Yes. Do regions still have top players that consistently place well? Yes. Looks like 2 stocks is a pretty accurate determinant. Accuracy is not exactly a keystone argument here.

People who grasp onto the idea that "they would have won had there been one more stock" are deluding themselves. They lost. Their opponent made better uses of the resources at their disposal. 2 stocks is plenty of time to get a read on an opponent -- learn to adapt quicker. Blaming the stock count is only holding you back as a player because it prevents you from taking the loss and learning from it. No johns. If the player threw in a mixup that you couldn't adapt to, you should have adapted. Or played the match better before they mixed it in and capitalized on their weaknesses more effectively, so they were in a worse point by the time they read you enough to employ it. Or stop being so damned predictable.

2 stocks is plenty of time. True, we occasionally see upsets, but Zero still wins every tournament. Top players and Power Rankings still exist.

This and the comeback argument (which I already touched on earlier in this thread) drive me crazy because they are either false or unprovable. If you want them to hold weight, those arguments need to be backed up and more fleshed out.

And then it's a vicious circle ; if you wait for a major to go 3 stocks before considering doing the same, I unfortunately think it will never happen. It's only if locals make changes that it can maybe next go all the way up to a major. You ask for proof, but if you are a TO why not try it yourself instead of asking it from others ? Maybe your local scene will find the game more enjoyable with 3 stocks, and it will provide useful data either way.
You're looking at this backwards, majors wont switch because smaller locals are doing it -- Unless you can get big players or TO's behind the idea, players will just move on until they find a scene that lets them play the same game the pros on Twitch and Youtube are playing. Players want to play the competitive standard, ie. what majors use.

When I ran customs event, despite what Smashboards poll numbers show, despite the fact that it was before, during, and after the EVO customs hype, we'd only see about 30% of our players show up. When we run events with larger stage lists, less players show up. There's another host in my city who does host 3 stock events. His attendance numbers are vastly inferior to mine, and most of the players who play in both scenes rave about how much better my scene is. Why? Because I run events with the competitive standard. That's why players come to my events, come to my scene. I occasionally tweak stuff, but consistency is a huge draw and why I don't change up my events simply because a name on a message board tells me to.

You need to convince top TO's. You need to convince top players. Seriously, ESAM's support is a huge deal -- you guys need to capitalize on it. Get players like ESAM to talk about the benefit of 3 stock versus 2 stock, and have the poll support numbers and set timing numbers behind you to back it. Players want to play the competitive standard. You want to change the competitive standard? You need proof. You need names.

I'm trying to help you guys. I know it seems like I'm just shooting everything down, and it's pretty clear I'm on the 2 stock side of the fence, but if it turns out 3 stock is better for the game and the community as whole, I will do what's best for the community. Bickering on a message board isn't going to solve it, someone needs to knuckle down like Ican'tWin did and start crunching numbers if they want this dialogue to continue and hold any weight. (Seriousy Ican'tWin, good job). It may not seem like it, but I am trying to help you guys out.

Proof. That's how you guys are going to change it the status quo. I'm anxious to see what you come up with.

Last edited:

LeWall

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriiluup
I Think 3 stock(8 min) would be ideal, More time means a better spectator match, more meta based on the stress and of the two opponent, and more time to explain wath is happening.

#THE3STOCKSDREAM!

FallenHero

Smash Ace
PND PND Not trying to go off topic here, but you called that part of Ajimi's post patronizing when pretty much your entire post seemed pretty patronizing, though maybe that is just me. The problem about getting proof is that there are far more 2 stock tournaments then 3 stock ones and I am not sure how easy it would be to convince a TO to try out 3 stocks (I live in an area where there is no such thing as a competitive scene for smash unfortunately).

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
PND made many good points in his post, but all it comes down to is continuation of support of the game mode, if you're for 3 stock 6 minute (or 8) then get your local TO's to try it out at the least. Our local will be biting the bullet before our monthly and try out the 3 stock ruleset so I can gather the information I need. Our area (CT) has very little development in terms of Smash 4, but our turnouts are pretty big since we get guys from MA and RI to come down. There is literally no sense in arguing over what frosting goes on the cake when it hasn't even finished baking, so for the time being just do what PND said and convince your local TO's to at least run a side event of 3 stock matches, hell, even set up a friendly booth with 3 stock so you can record the time these matches take so you have sufficient data to back the argument. I know I will be, come hell or high water.

Ajimi

Smash Cadet
Thank you for your response.

Look at all the majors. Look at all the regionals. They are 2 stock. History of 2 stocks is irrelevant, the burden of proof is on the 3 stock supporters. That much is pretty clear
Well, I think history is relevant. It doesn't prove that 3 stocks is better per se, you're right, but it certainly doesn't help the validity of 2 stocks either. Wrong reasons are wrong reasons even if everybody follow the change afterwards, and I simply don't support that.

You're looking at this backwards, majors wont switch because smaller locals are doing it -- Unless you can get big players or TO's behind the idea, players will just move on until they find a scene that lets them play the same game the pros on Twitch and Youtube are playing. Players want to play the competitive standard, ie. what majors use.
So basically you think everybody is irremediably stuck forever because of the fist Apex ? Locals follow majors, but majors also adapt to locals to please more players. Of course big names are important, but no big event would risk a change if they are not confident that people already like their ruleset. If locals blindly follow majors, then majors certainly won't ever budge.

It's more human psychology than smash-related, really. Following the trend just because it's the trend is the worst reason ever, and maintains the vicious circle. The change must come from locals first, partly because they have less time constraints, and partly because money is not as much involved.

Proof. That's how you guys are going to change it the status quo. I'm anxious to see what you come up with.
I'm curious as to what exactly can really convince you (or anybody else), to be frank. There is three sides to this debate :

- The "physical reality" of TOs (e.g. time taken by the tournament). Yes 3 stocks is longer than 2, but so is 2 compared to 1 or BO5 compared to BO3. If I come up with numbers that say "a 3 stocks tournament takes only 20% more time", will you be satisfied ? What about 15% ? Or 10% ? What sample size do you want, knowing that the fact that most of Europe (+ some US locals) run 3 stocks just fine is not enough for you ?

- The "we follow the big names". I despise this argument even if I understand its importance ; but we ran into the deadlock situation above (who follows who, why, and who shall make the first step ?).

- The "better for the game/accuracy". And that can only be an intellectual/forum debate, i.e. not the hard data you asked for.
The FACT is that 3 stocks is more accurate than 2 ; the question "is 2 stocks accurate enough" cannot be proved. Zero would probably still win with 1 stock, the same way top Melee players would probably be the same with 2 or 3 stocks.
I think 2 stocks promotes worse gameplay, because the less ressources you have the more precious it is. One mistake and you have already lost half your ressources / you are already on your last stock, so matches are slower/more defensive/less risky/less hype. We can debate on that, but it cannot be proved one way or another either.

Shouxiao

Smash Journeyman
More stocks = better accuracy in results. The thing is having a good balance were even the longer matches do not often come close to timing out/timing out. A game like Street Fighter X Tekken is an example of matches often resulting in timeouts or coming close to them.

A ruleset needs more than enough time for a match to play out but enough time to keep things from going on too long. It also needs enough stocks and time to prevent something like one player from taking a stock and just camping/running away the rest of the match. Of course too many would result in matches being unnecessarily long.

In Smash games the rulesets should be balanced relative to the pace of the game. We are not restricted to just 3DS controls, vectoring is gone, and we have lots of shield stun now. Even more defensive characters can go in more and put pressure on their opponents. More than anything I would I say the meta encourages offensive spacing. Do not be reckless with throwing out moves but at the same time put pressure on your opponents defenses.

The average 3 out of 5 pro set would likely go something like this. Uploaded recently but patch 1.1.0
match 1 0:30 to 4:20
match 2 4:50 to 9:20
match 3 9:50 to 12:20
match 4 12:50 to 15:50
match 5 16:15 to 18:35
Rest is just replays and highlights. BTW Izaw is awesome.

Last edited:

Shouxiao

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think of the pace of the matches at MLG? Wonder how fast the average matches are going to play out sense patch 1.1.1. Thinks have really gotten faster. The Grand Finals with Zero vs Nario(both sets) is an example.

LeWall

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriiluup
What do you guys think of the pace of the matches at MLG? Wonder how fast the average matches are going to play out sense patch 1.1.1. Thinks have really gotten faster. The Grand Finals with Zero vs Nario(both sets) is an example.
a good reason to get 3 stock.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Just keep stocks the way they are and start having best of 5 sets in the middle stages of the tournament

Shouxiao

Smash Journeyman
a good reason to get 3 stock.
I think so. Just compare previous pro player matches to now. Their offensive play is faster. The changes made over the patches have really increase the speed of the game. If a player is pacing properly then they can continue to put pressure on the other player.

Just keep stocks the way they are and start having best of 5 sets in the middle stages of the tournament
That is something that may increase tournament time by a lot. Tournaments use this format
2 out of 3 for pools
3 out of 5 for top 8 sometimes
3 out of 5 for Grand Finals

Makes no sense to have best out of 5 in the middle of the tournament. It best of 5 is going to be use before Grand Finals or top 8 then the whole tournament might as well be best of 5. If a tournament is like that then chances are it would be an event were Smash Bros games are the only games being played.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
That is something that may increase tournament time by a lot. Tournaments use this format
2 out of 3 for pools

Makes no sense to have best out of 5 in the middle of the tournament. It best of 5 is going to be use before Grand Finals or top 8 then the whole tournament might as well be best of 5. If a tournament is like that then chances are it would be an event were Smash Bros games are the only games being played.
I think his point was that 2 stock bo5 doesn't take much longer than 3 stock bo3, and that best of five sets should be introduced earlier than W/L/GFs wherever possible instead of just raising the stock count. I personally wouldn't mind if tournaments were entirely 2 stock bo5 (maybe bo7 W/L/GFs) but if best of 3 is desired then 3 stock should be the norm.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I think so. Just compare previous pro player matches to now. Their offensive play is faster. The changes made over the patches have really increase the speed of the game. If a player is pacing properly then they can continue to put pressure on the other player.

2 out of 3 for pools

It would make no sense to make the whole tournament best of 5 since matches in the early rounds aren't even close. If you do best out of 5 starting in the middle rounds, it takes less time than having the entire tournament be 3 stocks 8 min

Shouxiao

Smash Journeyman
I think his point was that 2 stock bo5 doesn't take much longer than 3 stock bo3, and that best of five sets should be introduced earlier than W/L/GFs wherever possible instead of just raising the stock count. I personally wouldn't mind if tournaments were entirely 2 stock bo5 (maybe bo7 W/L/GFs) but if best of 3 is desired then 3 stock should be the norm.
When would best 3 out of 5 start? Top 128(mid way through a huge Smash tournament), 64, 32? The further a player goes in a tournament, there is a much greatest chance that sets are going to have more matches.

It would make no sense to make the whole tournament best of 5 since matches in the early rounds aren't even close. If you do best out of 5 starting in the middle rounds, it takes less time than having the entire tournament be 3 stocks 8 min
If a 3stock 8min match takes longer than a 2stock 6min match it would not be by much. At the start of a tournament the best are likely to advanced rather quickly. In the middle and finals parts of the tournament more matches are played in the set because the better players are going back and forth.

3 to 0 score would be common at start. By the middle though the matches are likely to be even. With a best 3 out of 5 a player has to play another match. Also there is the possibility of playing match number 4 and 5. Playing more matches takes up a lot more time then the difference of time(if any) between 2stock/6mins and 3stock 8mins.

Plus when would best 3 out of 5 start? 128(middle way through the biggest of Smash tournaments), 64, 32, 16?

I think best 2 out of 3 for pools/brackets and having 3 out of 5 for finals works the best.

Last edited:

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
It all depends on the amount of rounds. The closest one to the middle rounded up. With 3 stocks, the matches are guaranteed to be longer than 2 stocks. By making the top half best of five, you eliminate the time wasted in 3 stocks on the bottom half and use it to have a more accurate top half of the tournament

Shouxiao

Smash Journeyman
It all depends on the amount of rounds. The closest one to the middle rounded up. With 3 stocks, the matches are guaranteed to be longer than 2 stocks. By making the top half best of five, you eliminate the time wasted in 3 stocks on the bottom half and use it to have a more accurate top half of the tournament
It is questionable if more time would even be used with 3stock 8mins best 2 out of 3 for non final matches. Playing more matches have a much greater chance of taking up more time.

Also I think there may be confusion at tournaments. All tournaments are not the same size but generally speaking the rules are universal for Smash. What would be the middle ground for tournament entrances would come up? Also most tournaments have other games than the Smash Bros series. If 3 out of 5 for middle of tournament is done then most other games would want similar treatment(we know its going to be brought up).

For the sake of being consistent I think it is best that 2 out of 3 is done until finals or grand finals. All fighting games tournaments follow these rules.

A 2 out of 3 for pools and brackets. 3 out of 5 for Finals.

B 2 out of 3 for pools and brackets. 3 out of 5 for Grand Finals.

C 2 out of 3 for the whole tournament. Only a few follow this. 3 out of 5 for the whole tournament. I think only Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 does 3 out of 5 for the entire tournament.

Last edited:

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
The problem with 3 stocks is that it does nothing in the earlier rounds except make the tournament run longer. My suggestion fixes the problem without wasting time at the lower levels of the tournament. I also see no problem with other games wanting the same treatment. If anything, it means it works

Shouxiao

Smash Journeyman
The problem with 3 stocks is that it does nothing in the earlier rounds except make the tournament run longer. My suggestion fixes the problem without wasting time at the lower levels of the tournament. I also see no problem with other games wanting the same treatment. If anything, it means it works
It would be a problem for Smash and other games. Having best 3 out of 5 part way through the brackets would increase time the tournament takes by a lot. It surely could not be done at any medium and large size tournaments. Street Fighter 4 at EVO 2015 start around 08:00(am) American time zone and end after 01:00(am) American time(no exaggeration). That is with 2 out of 3 pools/brackets. Think what 3 out of 5 halfway through would be like.

Melee and Smash 4 did not even finish their pools on day 1 due to other games having to be played. If Melee and Smash 4 finished their brackets on day 1 it would have been around midnight American time. Think how much longer things would take if 3 out of 5 was used midway through.

EVO would be the most extreme example but Apex would also be similar. I know not every tournament is the size of those but many do have a lot of players.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The game might feel overall faster now, bust still it is not rare at all for players to keep a stock alive for over 3 minutes (and a funfact, this almost never happened in Brawl). In a 2S6M format that means over half of the time available.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
The game might feel overall faster now, bust still it is not rare at all for players to keep a stock alive for over 3 minutes (and a funfact, this almost never happened in Brawl). In a 2S6M format that means over half of the time available.
Unfortunately, this is true. Brawl was a slower game but due to the overall higher damage output, KOs would also happen earlier. Smash 4 has fast games yes, specially at top level, but there are also games that drag on time.

Right now I have mixed feelings towards this. I'd love for 3 stock to become the norm but with this pace of the game I don't see it happening at a major tournament.

dansal

Smash Apprentice
Is there a reason for using 3o5 partway through a 2o3 tournament?

Last edited:
Top Bottom