• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Irvine Smashers - Looking for some fresh new face?

J4pu

Smash Champion
thats sorta dumb how are you not going to go and enjoy something you like just because you spent some money to lose. you can use your time in the tournament to go ask ppl for friendlies which help you improve. but with that sorta mindset you will go no where and stay the same skill level just because you fear getting ***** in the beginning of your learning career (i couldnt think of a better word).
yea, I'm somewhat stingy with my money, I enjoy melee friendlies with ppl at my skill level or slightly better and don't plan on getting into it competitively b/c of money and I would rather focus on brawl where I'm not 7 years behind, so sue me.
Do you enjoy any games that are played competitively other than smash? Halo? GOW? sc? SF? Unless you are taking part in the competitive aspect of every single game you enjoy that is played competitively I don't see how you are in any position to criticize my choice on not playing melee.

aznforce817

Smash Lord
yea, I'm somewhat stingy with my money, I enjoy melee friendlies with ppl at my skill level or slightly better and don't plan on getting into it competitively b/c of money and I would rather focus on brawl where I'm not 7 years behind, so sue me.
Do you enjoy any games that are played competitively other than smash? Halo? GOW? sc? SF? Unless you are taking part in the competitive aspect of every single game you enjoy that is played competitively I don't see how you are in any position to criticize my choice on not playing melee.
Dude, i play Counter-strike 1.6 and i started only like... 4 years ago and by then Condition Zero and Source were out. im not sure bout source but condition zero has been out. I still play 1.6 cuz its that much more fun compared to source and its easy *** gameplay physics. :p

J4pu

Smash Champion
you play or you pay money to compete?
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with people who choose to do so, it just isn't there for me, and can't be disputed by somebody who follows the same mindset for other games.
even if you do compete in 1.6 I'm sure there are other games you enjoy that you don't compete in, which was the big picture here

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
ok. thats fine its your choice.

yes. :)

Kira-

Smash Champion
i havent figured out what to do out of shield when he's pillaring me yet

i still
occasionally
lose to kevins falco on FD so i need work on that matchup

jays0nnn

Smash Apprentice
Ehh I hate how people john about this..I spent away 300 dollars for hosting melee tournament, I host my first tournament at Irvine Valley College at my first year when i moved down to so cal by myself and for the prize it was first place $100, 2nd place $75, 3rd place $50 and i spend alot of $ for food. and ALL THIS WAS OUT OF MY OWN POCKET and entry fee was just 7 bucks no venues fee =) DcMoney know about this in fact he got first on this tournament and only 14 people enter =/ but i had fun and was really proud of smash. *i got last on my OWN tournament* if i have 300 bucks to spend like this again to have this much fun then i do it again without a doubt that how much fun it is to me! Brawl? It's good in it own way but why try to win for the sake of winning? it gets boring plus that how brawl noobs are brawl noobs they try so hard to win and prove themselves that they are really good. Look at me I play Melee and get ***** so bad and yes i'll admit this
I HAVE GETTING 4 stocked or JV 5 stocked by Zhu, Aznforce, DcMoney, And Kira and I sometimes MM them even if i know i'm going to lose so bad i still do no matter why? cuz i have so much fun and i learn alot ehhh not in the mood to explain alot right now cuz i'm tired from work Nuff said

jays0nnn

Smash Apprentice
want a cookie?
It's great to know that you have tons of money to spend how you like, I on the other hand had to pay for my first (and now 2nd) year of college on my own, without financial aid cuz my parents make too much money, so needless to say I don't enjoy money going down the drain for other reasons.
it was ~20G last year and will probably end up being about the same this yr. (which I don't have the money for on my own)
(only reason I even have this much is because I've probably spent a total of under 3G in my entire life other than for college)

$ johns
No thanks i dont want a cookie i got some already tho but thanks anyways lol But so? i dont have alot of $$$$ and i moved from nor cal to so cal by myself but hey ok it's your money but that just me. On how i have fun and stuff, money doesn't stop me for having fun at tournaments even when i get ***** so bad, i'm used to take a bus to go to tournaments and barely have money to enter and make it back home in nor cal =___= and i dont have alot of money so dont assume that like everyone else did plus i also dont have financal aid like you but i go to IVC so that ok for me, win or lose money at tournaments i still enjoy being there plus what the point of playing tournaments when you dont take risk to see how good you are i dont like to play matches when i know i can win, it gets so boring!

J4pu

Smash Champion
well I tried to take my post down after thinking about it because it just felt like way too much johns and QQ'ing
but I was too slow

anyways, I don't mind going and getting owned, I just prefer to do it in friendlies.
I like playing when I'm near the skill level of my opponent so that the match could go either way for the most part, of course playing good people is good for learning.

jays0nnn

Smash Apprentice
aww that no fun =( playing people around your level in tournament is bleh..playing other people like DSF is so fun =) but i know what ya mean so it's cool

Kira-

Smash Champion
I thought your point of view was valid until I read this:

I've always known melee is better, since the day brawl came out and I tried playing with it's crappy physics. Doesn't stop me from playing brawl more than melee though
Playing brawl when you ALWAYS knew that Melee was better? When brawl has "crappy physics"? LOL nice logic, way to sell out

xoxokev

Smash Lord
But Brawl looks way better, you have to admit ;) AND SO MANY MOAR CHARACTERS! (I don't play melee, so I wouldn't know how much more awesome it is)

jays0nnn

Smash Apprentice
this is more or less correct
the logic still applies though, I play competitively, the game that I currently have the ability to play at a competitive level.
O___o....it didn't sound like it at PnT at MV when you said that you failed with a big F *you know i was jk around* (Really i got nothing against you, i was messing around)

EDIT: man NWA straight outta compton is good **** to listen..Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Eazy E ,DJ Yella good ****

joeplicate

Smash Master
brawl is cartoony garbage

it feels to me like they deliberately dumbed down the visual style to attract a wider audience

fück that

MacD

Banned via Administration
well... it might too late to say this but i'm in irvine and i really miss melee, i go to UCI, problem is i'm leaving friday and don't get back to janurary, but yesterday i remember my love melee and for need good smashes to play with, and it looks like you guys want more

it's a win win situation ;) so give me the low down on this area and what you guys do

oh yea, and this is my first time on since like 8-17 so i'm a little out of practice

J4pu

Smash Champion
O___o....it didn't sound like it at PnT at MV when you said that you failed with a big F *you know i was jk around* (Really i got nothing against you, i was messing around)

EDIT: man NWA straight outta compton is good **** to listen..Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Eazy E ,DJ Yella good ****
I know, I did bad, I need to be more consistent.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
well... it might too late to say this but i'm in irvine and i really miss melee, i go to UCI, problem is i'm leaving friday and don't get back to janurary, but yesterday i remember my love melee and for need good smashes to play with, and it looks like you guys want more

it's a win win situation ;) so give me the low down on this area and what you guys do

oh yea, and this is my first time on since like 8-17 so i'm a little out of practice
ya dont worry about it. i am leavin also for winter. just post more to find about when we play. i am leavin thurs. so im not sure if i have time to play before packin.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
melee with hd cables ****.
remembering the first time i used them
scott n i were like omg ****ing ****

Top Bottom