• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ireland & Northern Ireland Thread!

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
I thought it was this weekend, so I didn't sign up because exams. But yeah I can make it. I'll try to put up with the lag this time.

snook

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Last time there was a guy who had a connection so shaky the 3-second countdown at the start lasted seven seconds. He wasn't DQed or anything so I assume there's no required broadband speed.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Yeah honestly it's really hard to police these kinds of events. I can't tell who is/isn't lagging, y'know. What do you guys think I should do in this scenario?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
If anyone hasn't seen it yet, the grand final set from last Saturday has been uploaded:

Doesn't look like any of the other games are up yet.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Yeah bit of an total joke. They delay Sm4sh by four hours then start ****ting on the game within seconds of getting on the mic? Really?

As for the other games, Mike has them on his Wii U so he'll be sending them to either EOE or Phil to get uploaded hopefully this week. He said he'd be busy until later this week, though.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Sorry for all these double posts but RandomSelect just announced another Road to Celtic Throwdown event - this one's in London!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmashIreland/permalink/1643862672494715/

If you don't have Facebook, here's the statement:
Hi all.

It is with delight that we are able to announce another road to Celtic Throwdown event - This time in London!

We have teamed up with our good friends at Legacy of Minds to host the London leg for Celtic Throwdown. This will allow anyone in the UK who is coming to Ireland in September a chance to avail of valuable seeding points.

It is on August 29th in Croydon, London. We will be announcing more details soon but it will be for Ultra, Smash and MKX as of now!

GET HYPE & go and like our London friends on Social Media.

Facebook: Legacy Of Minds
Twitter: @legacyofminds
Instagram: Legacy of Minds

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt

snook

Smash Apprentice
When I saw that triple I was getting goosebumps.
You ruined the dream man.....:(

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
THE LEGENDARY TRIPLE POST

I'm super excited to announce the first (and hopefully not last!) Smash tournament in Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. Melee Singles, PM Singles, Sm4sh Singles/Doubles all confirmed so far!

Smashboards post: http://smashboards.com/threads/aug-1-2015-breaking-boundaries-enniskillen.405307/
Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/events/1572101863050570/

If you guys have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I want to make this event the best it can possibly be =]
Aw, only Northern Ireland.....

Anyway, I hope that goes well. I can't make it, as I'm in Dublin, but this could really start up the Ireland Smash scene.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Only Northern Ireland? Not sure where you got that message, plenty of Dublin guys coming. There's a bus direct from Dublin to Enniskillen and back, venue is only a wee walk from the bus station too. I can get you in contact with some of the other Dubliners if you don't want to travel alone.

mcmuff1nman

Smash Lord
THE LEGENDARY TRIPLE POST

I'm super excited to announce the first (and hopefully not last!) Smash tournament in Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. Melee Singles, PM Singles, Sm4sh Singles/Doubles all confirmed so far!

Smashboards post: http://smashboards.com/threads/aug-1-2015-breaking-boundaries-enniskillen.405307/
Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/events/1572101863050570/

If you guys have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I want to make this event the best it can possibly be =]
It's a 3 hour journey by bus from Derry to Enniskillen so hopefully I can make it. Didn't know Enniskillen was as close as it is haha.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Man Derry is so annoying for me to get to cuz it's only an hour and a half drive but I believe you have to get a bus to Omagh first? So awkward. Hope to see you there, though! Is there much of a scene in Derry?

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Only Northern Ireland? Not sure where you got that message, plenty of Dublin guys coming. There's a bus direct from Dublin to Enniskillen and back, venue is only a wee walk from the bus station too. I can get you in contact with some of the other Dubliners if you don't want to travel alone.
I meant that it was in Northern Ireland. I guess my wording there could have been a bit confusing. I can't make it because of the journey.

mcmuff1nman

Smash Lord
Man Derry is so annoying for me to get to cuz it's only an hour and a half drive but I believe you have to get a bus to Omagh first? So awkward. Hope to see you there, though! Is there much of a scene in Derry?
I can drive, but prefer public transport over long journeys (and I'm an R Driver lol). Yeah have to transfer at Omagh so it takes like 3.25 hours overall. I've finished uni, so unless a scene has grown in the past 2 years at the gaming societies there isnt any sign of one. I usually play with a friend from home. In fact I dont even have a WiiU so I have to use his; I practice myself on the 3DS version haha.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
It's the same deal from here to Enniskillen; about an hour and a half by car, but by bus I'd have to go via Sligo, so it's about 3-4 hours. Plus the only suitable bus won't get there until about 1:10, so that's not gonna leave me much time for practice when I get there xP Might end up skipping Melee because I'm really rusty at it and can't really be bothered trying to pick it up again, but I'll be there for Smash4 at least, and might try my luck at PM as well.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
I meant that it was in Northern Ireland. I guess my wording there could have been a bit confusing. I can't make it because of the journey.
Oh, that's a shame. There's a few events in Dublin coming up so hope to see you there.

I can drive, but prefer public transport over long journeys (and I'm an R Driver lol). Yeah have to transfer at Omagh so it takes like 3.25 hours overall. I've finished uni, so unless a scene has grown in the past 2 years at the gaming societies there isnt any sign of one. I usually play with a friend from home. In fact I dont even have a WiiU so I have to use his; I practice myself on the 3DS version haha.
Yeah that's fair enough, I would hate to drive any longer than like 30 minutes myself. I was the same, I just played with my brother/a friend for many years before I got into the scene this year, it's a really friendly scene =]

It's the same deal from here to Enniskillen; about an hour and a half by car, but by bus I'd have to go via Sligo, so it's about 3-4 hours. Plus the only suitable bus won't get there until about 1:10, so that's not gonna leave me much time for practice when I get there xP Might end up skipping Melee because I'm really rusty at it and can't really be bothered trying to pick it up again, but I'll be there for Smash4 at least, and might try my luck at PM as well.
You have more dedication than me, I didn't go to Galway haha... but then again that event was just one game. If you guys need housing considering your super long journeys, don't hesitate to ask, plenty of room around my house as long as you're willing to sleep on sofas (or maybe a tent if I get enough people =P).

For any of you guys looking to come, if you could use the signup form I'd be eternally grateful. You get money off entry plus I don't have to spend anywhere near as much time making brackets and stuff =D
http://goo.gl/forms/dnXzQhEHFP

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
You have more dedication than me, I didn't go to Galway haha... but then again that event was just one game.
I live right in the middle of the country. Everywhere worth going to is at least an hour away :p
There seems to be no scene at all around here, so I don't really have any choice but to travel. Cork or Belfast might be a bit too far for me, though.

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Yeah, I get you. I have to spend two hours going to Dublin or Belfast, kind of a pain but oh well. I'd definitely go to a bigger Galway event like if you found a good venue/had more games at it but with a small scene setups is definitely the biggest problem. I can't see myself ever going to Cork, though, it's so far away =[

On the subject of Breaking Boundaries, I was thinking of getting some casual games set up on the side if I get enough TVs/systems and stuff - thinking Mario Party, Double Dash and Bomberman so far. Any other suggestions?

Lultam

Smash Cadet
Dude, it's less than two hours, and the bus stops off at a place that's less than five mins walk to the venue according to google maps, you should def come! I can guarantee there'll be a few people on the bus from Dublin up as well. I'll be going up for sure plus I have Melee and PM on my laptop, who's up for looking like a massive nerd? :)

Edit: Lol, just realised I was mixing up this event with the Newry one, opps... Still three hours ain't the worst and it'll be good craic

Last edited:

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Yeah, I get you. I have to spend two hours going to Dublin or Belfast, kind of a pain but oh well. I'd definitely go to a bigger Galway event like if you found a good venue/had more games at it but with a small scene setups is definitely the biggest problem. I can't see myself ever going to Cork, though, it's so far away =[

On the subject of Breaking Boundaries, I was thinking of getting some casual games set up on the side if I get enough TVs/systems and stuff - thinking Mario Party, Double Dash and Bomberman so far. Any other suggestions?
As one of the side events you have (And I'm saying this because I want it to just become a stanard side event at Smash tournaments.) Mewtwo Tennis. Bassibly you get a special custom map in Smash U (Serch up Mewtwo Tennis on Youtube, you'll find a link to the map download.) both players pick Mewtow, and then you do tennis by having the players take turns charging their shadow balls and shooting and having a rally match with the confusion deflectors.

Dude, it's less than two hours, and the bus stops off at a place that's less than five mins walk to the venue according to google maps, you should def come! I can guarantee there'll be a few people on the bus from Dublin up as well. I'll be going up for sure plus I have Melee and PM on my laptop, who's up for looking like a massive nerd? :)

Edit: Lol, just realised I was mixing up this event with the Newry one, opps... Still three hours ain't the worst and it'll be good craic
Yeah, but I'm a kid, and so I wouldn't really be able to go on a three hour trip to another county on my own, and I seriously doubt my parents would take me.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
That game sounds awesome but I doubt very much I can get enough Wii Us to justify playing side events on them. Old consles and CRTs are much handier to get spares for.

SonicvMario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicvMario
3DS FC
4957-5533-0802

You could do some items on all stage matches for Melee , PM and Smash 4 and if it isn't just games that can have a tournament scene Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Sonic Heroes have pretty good multiplayer

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Brawl, so I can have my Brawl Marth back :p
probably in the minority around here, but I actually really liked Brawl :/ (except Meta Knight and tripping)

Last edited:

SonicvMario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicvMario
3DS FC
4957-5533-0802
probably in the minority around here, but I actually really liked Brawl :/ (except Meta Knight and tripping)
Brawl's my 2nd favourite Smash game and my 1st I have tons of nostalgia for it so I agree

Lultam

Smash Cadet
As one of the side events you have (And I'm saying this because I want it to just become a stanard side event at Smash tournaments.) Mewtwo Tennis. Bassibly you get a special custom map in Smash U (Serch up Mewtwo Tennis on Youtube, you'll find a link to the map download.) both players pick Mewtow, and then you do tennis by having the players take turns charging their shadow balls and shooting and having a rally match with the confusion deflectors.

Yeah, but I'm a kid, and so I wouldn't really be able to go on a three hour trip to another county on my own, and I seriously doubt my parents would take me.
That's fair enough, sorry I shouldn't have assumed your were over 18.

You could do some items on all stage matches for Melee , PM and Smash 4 and if it isn't just games that can have a tournament scene Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Sonic Heroes have pretty good multiplayer
I haven't played SA2 multiplayer in like ten years, I remember the sonic/shadow mode being super good. That would be unreal...

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
I should be able to get an SA2 setup. No promises but if you guys bring consoles/TVs, I'm more likely to be able to get these things for you, hint hint. Even if your Gamecube isn't great, bringing a disc for Melee can do the world of good. All item Melee sounds fun.

Realistically, I'll have the most Melee setups, then PM/Sm4sh will be around even with maybe half of Melee's. If you guys have any of the latter it does go a long way.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I have a Wii with homebrew, so all my games are on a USB drive (no, they're not pirated :p). Pretty decent collection on it - F-Zero GX, Mario Party 4/5, Wii Sports, Mario Kart, Monkey Ball, etc.
Can also bring a Wii U for Smash 4, if you don't mind the digital version, and I can record any replays that are saved on it as well when I get home.

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
I can bring a Wii and WiiU+adapter, but idk if I'll even be able to go. Can't bring any TVs with me either lol.

Diamond Zero

Smash Cadet
For those of you who are coming to the Newry event. Tournament entry fee has increased to £5 for each event. Professor Pro is likely to attend this event which has be super stoked!

toadee

Smash Cadet
[quote="On the subject of Breaking Boundaries, I was thinking of getting some casual games set up on the side if I get enough TVs/systems and stuff - thinking Mario Party, Double Dash and Bomberman so far. Any other suggestions?[/quote]

smash4 4v4 all ganon pls

toadee

Smash Cadet

smash4 4v4 all ganon pls =)

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
That game sounds awesome but I doubt very much I can get enough Wii Us to justify playing side events on them. Old consles and CRTs are much handier to get spares for.
OK, that makes sense.

Brawl is actually really good competitivly. Its just not as fun to watch because a lot of the action is the mindgames in the players head instead of the straight-uup action that the viewers can watch.

For those of you who are coming to the Newry event. Tournament entry fee has increased to £5 for each event. Professor Pro is likely to attend this event which has be super stoked!
Oh, whats the Newry event? I didn't hear about that, could you link me to the page/website/whatever its information is being shown on?

[quote="On the subject of Breaking Boundaries, I was thinking of getting some casual games set up on the side if I get enough TVs/systems and stuff - thinking Mario Party, Double Dash and Bomberman so far. Any other suggestions?
smash4 4v4 all ganon pls[/quote]

That needs a special custom map. One with a huge pillar, then two more smaller pillars on either side and huge holes inbetween each piller for spikes and ganoncides.

....Wow, that was a huge ass post. :awesome:

Top Bottom