• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ireland & Northern Ireland Thread!

snook

Smash Apprentice
NNID Luycia over here, I'll add the names I can see.
Need a challange over here ;).

Diamond Zero

Smash Cadet
Is that tournament gonna be a one off or if it goes well do ye reckon it'll be a regular thing? Won't make this one unfortunately but I'll def be up for a future one.
As far as my event goes, if I get a good turnout, I may be able to host bimonthly events in Newry. But we'll see with time. I'll be making a tournament thread for my event within the hour so all details can be seen there.

Edit: Post completed. It can be found here. Toadee can you add this to the body of the OP?

Last edited:

TheMikenyan

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMikenyan
3DS FC
3239-3425-2702
any constructive criticism???? im lookin to improve
Mate, I'm not in a position to give you advice. You were playing the game's mechanics far better than me; you gave me absolutely no breathing room and your defence was on point - for all the damage I was doing, I was barely ever able to land a killing hit. It was only when you switched to Marth that I actually managed to win games, because that's a far better matchup for Mega Man. If anything, I was hoping you could tell me what I could be doing better.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
Mate, I'm not in a position to give you advice. You were playing the game's mechanics far better than me; you gave me absolutely no breathing room and your defence was on point - for all the damage I was doing, I was barely ever able to land a killing hit. It was only when you switched to Marth that I actually managed to win games, because that's a far better matchup for Mega Man. If anything, I was hoping you could tell me what I could be doing better.
well i didnt really see you get the megaman d-throw combos.....for killing id say bair alot because megaman smashs have alot of startup....the b reversals look nice but they get really predictable..eg.i was running at you and as soon as you jumped with ur back to me i knew to shield,,,mix up ur ledge get up options ,,i caught you jumping off the ledge quite a bit...but other than that just play the game more and know the matchups....this post may seem condescending,,but it wasnt written that way :)

TheMikenyan

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMikenyan
3DS FC
3239-3425-2702
well i didnt really see you get the megaman d-throw combos.....for killing id say bair alot because megaman smashs have alot of startup....the b reversals look nice but they get really predictable..eg.i was running at you and as soon as you jumped with ur back to me i knew to shield,,,mix up ur ledge get up options ,,i caught you jumping off the ledge quite a bit...but other than that just play the game more and know the matchups....this post may seem condescending,,but it wasnt written that way :)
Didn't seem condescending at all, and I did ask. Mega Man doesn't have combos out of down throw; any follow-up he goes for can be air-dodged upwards of 20%, less for lighter characters. Usually I bait the air-dodge and punish with a down smash or similar, and once they know I can do that, I have a mixup, because then they'll think twice about air-dodging and falling into a hard punish and do something else, and that lets me go for other followups like fair, blade or up air. However, Pit's multi-jumps made that virtually impossible, and I couldn't land a single one on you - until you switched to Marth. He fell right into them. But as Pit, you just danced out of my reach and dodged every followup.

I do rely on that blade a little too much. Wasn't really sure what else I could do to keep you off me though. Lemons weren't working - you just kept on barrelling into me. And your swords beat out my fair and bair a good few times. I was a loss for how to control the spacing. And when you got me off stage, you were at an enormous advantage - Pit can juggle repeatedly with multi-jump fairs, and that's exactly what you were doing. Not to mention that the multi-jumps let him position himself really nicely to land his dair meteor, which you did a few times. Mega Man's recovery is also very linear and easy to read. If you have any suggestions for how to get around this stuff, I'm all ears, though I think I'll have to have a different character ready for that matchup.

Last edited:

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
Didn't seem condescending at all, and I did ask. Mega Man doesn't have combos out of down throw; any follow-up he goes for can be air-dodged upwards of 20%, less for lighter characters. Usually I bait the air-dodge and punish with a down smash or similar, and once they know I can do that, I have a mixup, because then they'll think twice about air-dodging and falling into a hard punish and do something else, and that lets me go for other followups like fair, blade or up air. However, Pit's multi-jumps made that virtually impossible, and I couldn't land a single one on you - until you switched to Marth. He fell right into them. But as Pit, you just danced out of my reach and dodged every followup.

I do rely on that blade a little too much. Wasn't really sure what else I could do to keep you off me though. Lemons weren't working - you just kept on barrelling into me. And your swords beat out my fair and bair a good few times. I was a loss for how to control the spacing. And when you got me off stage, you were at an enormous advantage - Pit can juggle repeatedly with multi-jump fairs, and that's exactly what you were doing. Not to mention that the multi-jumps let him position himself really nicely to land his dair meteor, which you did a few times. Mega Man's recovery is also very linear and easy to read. If you have any suggestions for how to get around this stuff, I'm all ears, though I think I'll have to have a different character ready for that matchup.
lol camp super hard...if you ever want to play again just ask..

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
The best Sonics I watch are Cobanermani456 and Somecallmejohnny I don't really see many competitive Sonics
look up a guy called '6wx' on youtube he is by far the best sonic ,,and is hyper aggressive..he rolls rarely

bpjk27

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-4965-4738
There's a Project M tournament on this Saturday at UCD's Vaticon. It's on in the Red Room beside the cinema in the student centre. Registration opens at 12:15pm and the tournament begins at 1pm. Check the facebook group for more details.

MedievalMage

Smash Rookie
My friend and I are hosting an all Ireland online Smash 3DS tournament if anyone is interested, the link to the Facebook event page is in my profile. (If this page is solely for in person events then ignore this post)

toadee

Smash Cadet
Results from Newry Hosts Super Smash Bros. Melee:
http://challonge.com/ko5q20kd

Singles Tournament:

1: Mint
2: Way
3: Craft
4: Averuncus
5: maXy
5: Titch
7: Toadee
7: ODG
9: DiamondZero
9: RyanTheEvi
9: wynadott2
9: Magi_Magi
13: Zeruko
13: Slush_Is_King
13: Vel
13: BigJayAssHands
17: CLR182
17: rogue182
17: Tanuki5Tail
17: DG286
17: PurpleDefault
17: MCDMars
17: Falconnn
17: rowmousDD
25: ATMDaz
25: Arch
25: SMET

Doubles Tournament:

1: Way + Mint
2: ODG + Averruncus
3: Maxy + Wyandott2
4: Toadee + Craft
5: RyanEvi + DiamondZero
5: BJAH + Titch
7: CLR + Slush is King
7: ATMDaz + MCDMars
9: Zeruko + Vel
9: SMET + DG286
9: Magi_Magi + Falconnn
9: Arch + Tanuki5Tail

Diamond Zero

Smash Cadet
Newry was great tournament, lots of fun. Hope something like it happens again, with some improvements ;)
There is a few kinks we need to iron out, especially the stream/recording stuff but I think it was a good first attempt for us as we've never hosted a tournament before. Bigger turnout next time I hope!

SebastianPhoton

Smash Cadet
There is a few kinks we need to iron out, especially the stream/recording stuff but I think it was a good first attempt for us as we've never hosted a tournament before. Bigger turnout next time I hope!
if you host another i'll come, apologies i couldnt make this 1

Valentttine

Still learning but we getting there
There's a Project M tournament on this Saturday at UCD's Vaticon. It's on in the Red Room beside the cinema in the student centre. Registration opens at 12:15pm and the tournament begins at 1pm. Check the facebook group for more details.
If there's ever a melee tourny in UCD can you post it here I have 4 people(me included) who are very interested, at least 2 of us will enter

Valentttine

Can't wait for O'smashathon as well we'll definitely be going though we're new so weprobably wont enter unless we scale up hugely leading up to it

SMITHLER21

Smash Cadet
NNID
SMITHLER21
3DS FC
4897-6401-7861
My friend and I, MedievalMage are hosting a Smash Bros 3ds all irelands tournament online /www(dot).facebook.com/events/1419930278313145/

MCDMars

Smash Rookie
Can't wait for O'smashathon as well we'll definitely be going though we're new so weprobably wont enter unless we scale up hugely leading up to it
I think regardless of skill level, it's always worth entering tourneys. I suck, but I feel like I've learned more from tourneys than hours of tech practice. Not that you shouldn't practice tech, but tourneys are where you can apply everything you've learned and find out if it works

Friendlies works wonders for this

Valentttine

I think regardless of skill level, it's always worth entering tourneys. I suck, but I feel like I've learned more from tourneys than hours of tech practice. Not that you shouldn't practice tech, but tourneys are where you can apply everything you've learned and find out if it works

Friendlies works wonders for this
Two of us do a lot of 1v1s since we live really close and critique each other so hopefully that's helping us with decision making and stuff. We only started playing about 2 months ago so we can't wavedash properly, questionable DI, inconsistent short hops and the like, everyone has to start somewhere though and somebody has to go out in the first round so we might still apply for it if we get a little better lol

MCDMars

Smash Rookie
Two of us do a lot of 1v1s since we live really close and critique each other so hopefully that's helping us with decision making and stuff. We only started playing about 2 months ago so we can't wavedash properly, questionable DI, inconsistent short hops and the like, everyone has to start somewhere though and somebody has to go out in the first round so we might still apply for it if we get a little better lol
It's one thing having a practice partner, it's another playing against strangers. You gotta prepare for them doing something your friend would NEVER do. And all that tech is thankfully just practice, there's no real knack to it. And yeah, I sucked the start of the year, but even though I got knocked out in Newry I'm proud that I had a game each set, but next time I aim to take a set. It's all minor improvements just building up ^^

Top Bottom