• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iowa-Joker's Monthly"WHY SO SERIOUS?"#28 Nov 22th

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
K going to go play FF13 that game is sooooooo good better then 7 even better then 8 hell best FF game I love Lightning <3
I need to play that game. The only FFs I've ever played are the SNES ones and 7. That was it...I just don't know which ones are really good and which ones are really "meh".

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I think Joker is trolling. FF13 was easily the most disappointing RPG I've ever played.

Its got good music though.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Pcity-LOL tyser speaks the truth

Yink-Tactics > 9 > 5 > all.

And there's no way that 13 is worse than 12. Sure 13 has more generic looking overworlds and design, but 12 had nothing going for it at all!

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I just noticed, that's bomb as hell, very slick.

TBH, unless you really want to play all of them, Skip FF 1-3. Playing 2 is the only one in those games that has anything close to a decent story or challenging gameplay, other than 3's final/side dungeons, bring a geomancer. Warning, Final Fantasy 2 IS HARD and have enemies that will kill your entire party in 1 shot.

4 is when they actually made it cinematic and the characters develop. 5 has the best system other than tactics and it makes the game more enjoyable to have fully customizable parties. 6 is what all the snobby gamers will say is the best, and it's up there, I recommend 6 as much as 7 and 8.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
TBH, unless you really want to play all of them, Skip FF 1-3. Playing 2 is the only one in those games that has anything close to a decent story or challenging gameplay, other than 3's final/side dungeons, bring a geomancer. Warning, Final Fantasy 2 IS HARD and have enemies that will kill your entire party in 1 shot.
Sounds like MOTHER 1. I handled that alright...but very noted.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
I have no idea what you're talking about Rob. 12 was massive, even with some tiresome elements it was quite immersible and had plenty going for it. Plus its another part of the Ivalice series which brings back some charm.

Final Fantasy 13 was a complete cash-in, its like there was no effort or creativity behind it whatsoever. "Hey lets throw in an ice level, and a forest level." "This story needs someone to grow up and change, and probably someone else to die." "Hey I don't think people like exploring towns or random battles, lets just get rid of towns and make all battles one character one button."

Everytime you think that game is going to let you do something other then what you've been doing for the past 4 hours, you're dropped into another copy-pasted series of hallways and dungeons to mash through. Its so mediocre and trite, and its got to have the most unfulfilling ending ever, if only because you're waiting this whole time for it to turn into a good game and it pretty much never does. Its a shallow experience, and if you've ever played a decent RPG before it doesn't match up to anything similar.

They probably threw tacks on a wall to decide half that game, these last few FF games have just been uninspired. Most RPG's have just been lackluster lately. The last one I was compelled to finish was Xenogears.

PortCity

Smash Ace
@GameGenie: :-( LOL, come on homey you got to step it up. hahahaha.....I'm going to pray that you were trying to be funny hahaha!

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
tbh I didn't play 13 but I've seen it being played and it looks like they didn't even care and took scenes from star ocean 3 or FF11 and just pallet swapped around and made it look like boxes by boxes by boxes. I actually sold my copy of 12 about 10 hours in because I was so disgusted with how much it wasn't the game I wanted it to be or play. I didn't like 10 but I finished it at least.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Keep it that way and just not play the game lol.

Personally I liked 12, it reminded me of a Level 5 game except with FF elements. Plus I like most the Ivalice series, even if I don't really care for the "Tactics" part of any of the advance games.

And yeah I forgot, speaking of Level 5 the last RPG I enjoyed was actually Rogue Galaxy.

PortCity

Smash Ace
I just saw the ban diddy thread....i'm not gonna lie they got me for about 10 minutes, until I looked at the date :) night before April 1st. Anyway, it was a pretty good read, I actually learned some tactics that I didn't know.

THuGz

Smash Lord
I don't know much about video games that aren't Guild Wars, Halo, or Smash, but out of the FF series, I think I most enjoyed ff7... isn't that what generally people say is the best?

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
VII is good, but not the best. My favorite is FFIX without a doubt because it brought so many nostalgic things from the older games into one game.

resTy

Smash Champion
I'm going to pray that you were trying to be funny hahaha!
He wasn't even aware of what he said until Dan said, "Wait...Take the dick out of my ass and play gay?" *everyone looks at GameGenie for like two seconds then uncontrollable laughter follows. It was an epic moment. GameGenie needs to come to games more often.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
VII is good, but not the best. My favorite is FFIX without a doubt because it brought so many nostalgic things from the older games into one game.
Hell this is JUST the kind of thing I like. Gonna pick that up, thank you Greg!

BPx

Smash Lord
Cool purple name Chloe :D

I thought FFX was the best, it was the first "good" game I'd ever played o_O
Story made me cry :'(

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Cool purple name Chloe :D

I thought FFX was the best, it was the first "good" game I'd ever played o_O
Story made me cry :'(
FFX was my first FF to be honest, and I still like it for what its worth.

I don't really know why it gets much hate. Also X-2 was the bomb. ^_^

BOLT08

Smash Lord
I played FF8 first, and I had no idea what i was doing. I think it was my first RPG, either way I was young and used nothing but GF's. Made it all the way to the final boss too. Then I played FFX, which I loved. Now I'm playing FF7 cause I've only made it halfway through before my data got erased the first time I tried to beat it.

I played crisis core and loved it. But honestly, Cloud, Zack and Sephiroth will always be my favorite FF characters. I just liked how Sephiroth went from good to crazy/evil. Kefka was just a one dimensional psychopath, which in itself is cool but I still think Sephiroth is cooler.

Anyway. That being said I still want to play FF6 and FF9.

THuGz

Smash Lord
Idk, I never liked it in games when characters turned evil or when a character dies for the sake of story, or whatever. For me, I get really involved in stories and I really dislike it when things happen in the story that would obviously make me upset if it were real life. I think people are too desensitized to things and I just feel like they'd enjoy it more if they connected with stories deeply-er.

/rant

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
Not gonna lie, Chloe's Avatar is sick!!! X Series the best for me! (X-X4=Good Games, X5 and X6 are ok, X7 and X8= Garbage!!!)

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I beat 1 before I played any of the other ones, but I played a bit of 4/6 but didn't beat them until after I had beaten 5 (first of like 4 games I ever illegally downloaded) and 7 and I think I finally beat 4 in high school after I beat 8 in 8th grade. I've replayed every single one of them at least once between 1-10+tactics/Mystic Quest other than 3. Tactics/9 are the best in overall quality, it might not have the best anything, but it's top 2-3 in everything I find important.

Edit: In regards to the Mega Man X series-And up until 9 came out, I believed the X series was as a whole better, but now it's slightly on the classics side until X9 comes out and it's 16/32 bit.

Soran

Smash Ace
MK9 is actually cool but I'm tired of fighting games .o.
That's all I did for the past half a year.

FFXIII is a movie.. but is it more a movie than MGS4 o.O?
sometimes.. I can't play MGS4 because OCD dictates: no cutscene skipping.

P.S. Yink's av is bomb... blue bomb... er

EDIT: X9! Where!? *frantically looking in all directions*

BPx

Smash Lord
Joker, I was reading through Wario boards and found this:
Didn't know it was so good...
Wario/Snake is amazing guys.

C4 is ridiculous.

Stickied Wario is broken.

If he gets a grab, they get C4'd.

If he gets grabbed, they get C4'd. (I was once actually grab released by a Marth and my partner blew him up before he could hit me. )

If he gets a chomp. You'd better believe they're getting C4'd.

To confuse the **** out of them, I sometimes airdodge through them. Then they're like "punish" and they get C4'd.

One of my favs is an MK tornadoing me. Once nado is over, they get C4'd and it can lead to an uair/waft since you're above them.

wario dthrow-snake fsmash. I've seen hunger/grimace do it before several times in tourney. Its not just about the tricks, they both live long and have high killing power/damage racking. You cant really afford to make mistakes against this team because you can really get ****ed up fast.

Afrayail

Smash Ace
Heyy. If anyone was planning on coming up tonight to my place..please don't arrive til like six. Gonna try to give plasma around four thirty. Feel free to call if you need directions unless brandon has that covered. See ya tonight! P.s. we need another wii tonight maybe a tv too o.o

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Top Bottom